• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
Fernando Torres makes more per year than Chelsea Football Club received for the transfer of Daniel Sturridge to Liverpool FC.

homer.bmp

3Sixty

Saints released financial info for last year.

Some good, some bad.

Still owe alot on transfers.

Board reiterate in a position we don't have to sell any players.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is painful:

5nnnPzp.png

Embarrassing really, we really need Van Gaal in the summer. Managerial novices like AVB and Sherwood are not going to whip the players into shape. Tim said he 'couldn't influence the players' so he stayed in the stands. I've never heard that from a manager before.

On Sky Hoddle was criticising how relaxed we were in the tunnel, how casual we looked and he's right, we are always like that. We had the kickoff and yet within a minute we are a goal behind. Our players don't take their work seriously enough and the manager doesn't know how to set up a team or get them fighting from minute one.

Chadli is playing well but not so well that Eriksen should be shunted out wide, that's amateurish team selection and it cost us the first goal. Johnson would never have got past Chadli the way he glided past Eriksen.

Fuck you all

MOTD's punditry was paticularly bad yesterday I thought. They barely said anything, and what they did say wasn't worth listening to. Lawro should have been sacked on the spot for his Dejagah joke though.

'Pepper Jack love Fraggle Rock'

:lol

Ushojax

Tottenham have conceded 44 goals this season, 27 against the top 4.

To me that shows that our defensive players are not terrible, teams from Everton down generally find it hard to score against us (when Naughton isn't playing). We just don't have the right set-up for the big games, too naive and expecting too much from players new to the PL.

Jack cw

--------------------Neuer--------------------
Lahm-----Boateng-----Martinez----Alaba
--------Kroos------Schweinsteiger-----
---------------------Götze-------------------
Robben-----------Müller------------Ribery

------------------------------De Gea-------------------------------

Smalling-----------Jones------Ferdinand---------Buttner

--------------------------Fellaini-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------Cleverley-----------------------

Valencia--------------------------------------------------Young
-------------------------Rooney------------------------------------
-------------------------------------Welbeck----------------------

Don't be a prick, David.

The commentator yesterday said 'Sterling is competing with Townsend for a place on the plane to Brazil'

Surely Sterling's place is booked by now?

Those kits would be great if the collar was buttoned

sohois

The commentator yesterday said 'Sterling is competing with Townsend for a place on the plane to Brazil'

Surely Townsend shouldn't be coming within a mile of the squad regardless? He can go form a shit England wingers club along with Young, Downing and Lennon

King_Moc

Banned

Yeah, Sterling's certainly going. Will most likely be in the first team too. Townsends looked good in a few games, but Sterling is fairly consistent. If he can keep developing, he'll be scarily good in a few years.

dc89

Nike kits are so fantastic. Simplistic but way better designed than Umbro. Really liking those two England kits.

Umbro wear so much nicer though. The fabric is miles better, it doesn't pull, it's robust and it fits better.

I got this seasons City shirt from Sports Direct at £50. Wore it twice, pulled all over. Now the Etihad lettering is peeling off the front. It was washed and dried in accordance to the care label.

All my Umbro shirts (I think I have 3) are still like new. I wear last seasons to 5 a side every week, not a mark on it.

TeddyBoy

Tottenham have conceded 44 goals this season, 27 against the top 4.

To me that shows that our defensive players are not terrible, teams from Everton down generally find it hard to score against us (when Naughton isn't playing). We just don't have the right set-up for the big games, too naive and expecting too much from players new to the PL.

At the beginning of the season some people predicted you'd get higher than Arsenal because of the quality of players you brought in. Now that hasn't happened but you still have an excellent squad who can make a great team with the right manager who can win back the dressing room (since Sherwood has lost it so badly).

I was tempted to ask this before the Liverpool game but didn't want to jinx anything, do you regret sacking Redknapp and replacing him with AVB?

Jack cw

I fear United is going to run away with an underdog win. I don't know, I wasn't this scared of Arsenal.
I have a pretty good feeling. We are not going to play with Contento, Starke, van Buyten, Pizarro in defensive midfield (lol), Shaqiri or hopefully Dante. In CL Bayern is always motivated and this is the biggest game of the year so far and they want to defend the title.
Umbro wear so much nicer though. The fabric is miles better, it doesn't pull, it's robust and it fits better.

I got this seasons City shirt from Sports Direct at £50. Wore it twice, pulled all over. Now the Etihad lettering is peeling off the front. It was washed and dried in accordance to the care label.

All my Umbro shirts (I think I have 3) are still like new. I wear last seasons to 5 a side every week, not a mark on it.
I was just talking about the design. Nike kits are great to wear, especially the Authentic ones. Still, there is nothing better in quality than adidas techfits.

Ushojax

At the beginning of the season some people predicted you'd get higher than Arsenal because of the quality of players you brought in. Now that hasn't happened but you still have an excellent squad who can make a great team with the right manager who can win back the dressing room (since Sherwood has lost it so badly).

I was tempted to ask this before the Liverpool game but didn't want to jinx anything, do you regret sacking Redknapp and replacing him with AVB?

I don't regret sacking Redknapp but I suppose replacing him with AVB has turned out to be a mistake. We haven't had a manager with real pedigree for some time, Redknapp, Ramos, AVB, Sherwood, not exactly managers of great repute. Where are they now? QPR, Dnipro, Zenit, that is their level.

LVG might be a stern taskmaster but he at least has some credibility unlike Ramos and AVB. The trouble is that if we did appoint him, he wouldn't be in place until after the WC so half the pre-season is gone. I still don't think this squad needs major surgery, it needs 2 or 3 good signings but there is a good core of quality players. Last season we all laughed at Joe Allen and co but look where they are now.

Jack cw

I'm dead serious, but I'm aware that I'm occasionally extremely pessimistic.

I had that feeling last year against Juve, but they were a very competent side. Bayern and Pep wont underestimate them. Its still on of the biggest names in football and I'm pretty optimistic that we succeed.

Holy crap at the salty last-gen owners (especially Nintendo fans) in that Arkham Knight thread.

Their arguments essentially boil down to 'Rocksteady should have spent millions of dollars developing and releasing a badly compromised version of Arkham Knight on the old consoles, GTAV shows that these consoles can do open world driving.'

Fuck that, and fuck cross-gen. No compromise. Embrace the future.

Liverpool-v-Manchester-United-Brendan-Rodgers_2997019.jpg

Jack cw

Holy crap at the salty last-gen owners (especially Nintendo fans) in that Arkham Knight thread.
Well, Nintendo fans are always the most stubborn and imune to any rational arguments when it comes to games. I like that last gen and especially WiiU are dying a quick death, because they are holding back current gen development.

Sunday's gonna be so fucking huge. Everton vs Arsenal, could very well be the match which decides which of them comes fourth. Then we go away to West Ham who can frustrate anyone when they defend properly, and have a group of attackers who could quite easily overpower us.

People keep going on about Spurs' body language in the tunnel, but we looked like we were going out for a preseason friendly ourselves :p

LegoArmo

I think the 4-0 yesterday was much more impressive than the 5-0 earlier in the season. The 5-0 was pure pace, energy and pressing. Yesterday, was calm(er), collected and in control.

Crowd was brilliant too, just the right amount of support, without putting on too much pressure.

TeddyBoy

I don't regret sacking Redknapp but I suppose replacing him with AVB has turned out to be a mistake. We haven't had a manager with real pedigree for some time, Redknapp, Ramos, AVB, Sherwood, not exactly managers of great repute. Where are they now? QPR, Dnipro, Zenit, that is their level.

LVG might be a stern taskmaster but he at least has some credibility unlike Ramos and AVB. The trouble is that if we did appoint him, he wouldn't be in place until after the WC so half the pre-season is gone. I still don't think this squad needs major surgery, it needs 2 or 3 good signings but there is a good core of quality players. Last season we all laughed at Joe Allen and co but look where they are now.

You should take the Liverpool route, don't buy any first team players :p

Your squad is more than capable of challenging for top four, I'm not really sure additions are required. You just need a clear out of the dressing room, too many personalities and not enough starting places.

I was listening to the radio commentary of the match yesterday and they made an excellent point, you really don't seem to have a set starting eleven anymore. So many players chopping and changing, part of the reason we've done so well is having almost the same team every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom