• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT17| I'm Spartacus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Not too long ago......

mqEqBEp.jpg

Timurid

should I put van der Weil in my fantasy team?

same question about Maxwell

pls

VDW is probably not going to play because he's coming off an injury and he missed last match too on friday. I would put lahm and rake in the dough.

Maxwell will most definitely play. so I say yes.

Scum

he played 20 minutes in a match this season, after coming from injury. Hasn't played any more minutes, don't know if he's having fitness problems or just Tata not having the time/space to give him a chance this far into the season

Sitting on the bench at Barca, he should just leave honestly. In his good days he could have even managed the Arsenal level imo.

Poor sod.

Clegg

He was pretty good for quite a while but some ill-fated injuries and the politics that ripped the team apart have played a part in him fading for a bit. I think his best match was in the same season you mentioned where he outplayed Barca's midfield. It was glorious.

He would be a wonderful signing to build the midfield around if you guys can pull it off.
I don't think we'll be back in for him after last summers disaster. I wouldn't complain if we were though!

Suen

I couldn't sleep because I thought my main result had a flaw in its proof. Reading the most important book of my field and going through my proof has finally made me calm down.
Reading proof of formulas was the worst thing in all compulsory math courses I had. Fortunately you don't need to understand the proof to understand how to use a formula but it sure does help with understanding what the hell you're really doing :p

FootballFan

But we got Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia.... ;_;

Think United will lose but I can't wait. Love these big games. Will probably be a while till the 2 teams play each other again.

They play each other this week, then the next one. You will be getting two legs of exhilarating champions league football.

May the Lord of Light have mercy on your souls.

Carbonox

Half-way through Game of Thrones Season 2 (just finished episode 5). This show is amazing.

Fuck them for killing off
Pablo Osvaldo
though. Was well pissed. Wanted to see more.

Suen

I know. :(

It doesn't help that I have no one around that has intimate knowledge of my field. I'm still worried that someone might've done what I'm doing already, but I can't do more than ask people that might know and search for keywords.
Doesn't hurt having multiple research projects on a subject anyway.

Clegg

Half-way through Game of Thrones Season 2 (just finished episode 5). This show is amazing.

Fuck them for killing off
Pablo Osvaldo
though. Was well pissed. Wanted to see more.
You're burning through those episodes!

Ep 9 or 10 of season two was a highlight for me. Proper large scale warfare.

Carbonox

You're burning through those episodes!

Ep 9 or 10 of season two was a highlight for me. Proper large scale warfare.

haha innit, only started the show Friday evening.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Season 2 final episodes. The build up has been thoroughly entertaining so far.

I am very excited for the premiere of S4 next week.

I'm so torn on whether I should wait for the Blu-Ray of S4 (which won't be till like end of year or some noise) or just watch it as it's airing (which is what I'm leaning towards cos I don't want to wait). I'll buy the boxset when it comes out anyway so might as well just watch as it airs.

Clegg

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Season 2 final episodes. The build up has been thoroughly entertaining so far.

I'm so torn on whether I should wait for the Blu-Ray of S4 (which won't be till like end of year or some noise) or just watch it as it's airing (which is what I'm leaning towards cos I don't want to wait). I'll buy the boxset when it comes out anyway so might as well just watch as it airs.
There have been a lot of highlights in GoT.

Shame you weren't watching upon the original airing of S1 Ep 9. The fallout was glorious.

FootballFan

Yes, watch it with us.

Second season really was not all that great, in my humble opinion.

Suen

Can't really do that with a PhD, especially since the subject is kinda fixed from the beginning. I really like my result and I haven't seen anything like it in the context of my work, but with maths you never know. It's entirely possible what I'm doing is just a special algorithm for what the others did and they just never mentioned it.

I really gotta publish my results, then I should know if things check out, I just have (big) trouble writing things down these days.
Oh I didn't realize it was a PhD, yeah having the same subject then isn't very acceptable hahaha. But a fixed subject? Don't you usually suggest a topic on your own?

Clegg

And who are you the proud lord said,
That I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat,
That's all the truth I know.

Bricks were shat that day.

Suen

Well, the general area was "negotiated", but the specific topic is then chosen by myself over the course of the PhD (since you'll never know where you'll land with maths).

At this point I've focused on what I perceived as the best method and I've tried to improve upon it and find ways to solve its (few) flaws. Unfortunately the field is not as generous in granting results as other mathematical fields, so it would definitely piss me off if what I'm doing is technically just some modification of another algorithm.
Lots of stuff today is just modifications of existing algorithms to improve them or to show flaws and suggest new improvements....I don't see what's so bad about this. Most scientific articles I read didn't reinvent the wheel exactly.

Carbonox

Some of my favourite scenes in season 1 involved Khal being Khal.

That long speech about taking over the Iron Throne, the fight against that dudebro where he rips his throat out and the scene where he gave the dragon gal's brother his 'crown'.

it just saddens me we won't get stuff like that again - of course I say this given where I'm at in the series so far - as they showed a barbaric and badass side on the opposite side of the coin.

All I know is that Joffrey needs a spork thrusted in his eye sockets.

FootballFan

Second and third season were disappointing to me, but only because they had so much to live up to. Objectively they were still quite good (but not as good as the first season).

Agree.

Season 1 - Best
Season 3 - Good, really missed their mark with some of the big events though and that is something that I just can not forgive..
Season 2 - Boring in my opinion.

Probably being a bit harsh with season 3, but being a book reader I probably set expectations too high.

Suen

I agree regarding articles, but I'd prefer more for my PhD. It's really a field that doesn't yield many beautiful results, I guess I should take what I can. I'm just happy if in the end I haven't thrown my years away for nothing, though my friends and supervisors always seem a lot more optimistic about this and my work than me.

I think I might just be overly pessimistic.
I know that feeling man, but I don't think it's a bad feeling. I think it's just us wanting to show so much more about what we are researching. Like we already have sufficient results to show something good but we ourselves don't feel satisfied and know there's much more we could potentially show regarding the topic of research. If anything it goes to show how committed one is to make the work as good as possible. This is a PhD which I don't have any experience so it may be a bit different but I meant this in general (when you research a topic).

K1LLER7

They play each other this week, then the next one. You will be getting two legs of exhilarating champions league football.

May the Lord of Light have mercy on your souls.
Have the same feeling coming in to this match as I had when we played Barca in the CL final 2011(?). Never expected us to win. Wanted to see how the team fairs against the top/best team in Europe.

FootballFan

Have the same feeling coming in to this match as I had when we played Barca in the CL final 2011(?). Never expected us to win. Wanted to see how the team fairs against the top/best team in Europe.

You never know with this sport.
Yes Moyes is your coach.
Yes your defense is shite.
Yes Manchester United have not had a great season.

But for one night, one 90 minute match, anything is possible. You will also need just a bit of luck.

Also if Cleverly is placed anywhere near the stadium within a 10km radius, you will lose.

hiroshawn

Banned
-----------------------------Hart---------------------------------

Johnson-------Cahill----------Jagielka---------Baines

--------------------Gerrard-------------------------------------
--------------------------------Barkley-------------------------

-----------------------Lallana-----------------------------------

--------Sterling--------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------Rooney-----------

------------------------Sturridge--------------------------------

Don't be a prick, Roy.

Sterling/Barkley over Ox? Actually that is a good move. Because if Sterling or Barkley is having a bad game then the Ox can fill either spot.

sohois

-----------------------------Hart---------------------------------

Johnson-------Cahill----------Jagielka---------Baines

--------------------Gerrard-------------------------------------
--------------------------------Barkley-------------------------

-----------------------Lallana-----------------------------------

--------Sterling--------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------Rooney-----------

------------------------Sturridge--------------------------------

Don't be a prick, Roy.

Others have mentioned it, but Barkley is more of an attacking midfielder than someone to sit deeper along side Gerrard. He would play in Lallana's positions.

In addition, I have mentioned several times this season that whilst Barkley is doing very well for his age, the likes of Henderson, Wilshere and Delph - heck, even Westwood and Shelvey - are outperforming him in a number of areas. The only place Barkley really shines is his dribbling. He shouldn't be going as a starter.

I would have 2 of Wilsher/Henderson/Delph alongside Gerrard, Lallana to rotate with Rooney. in more of a free role.

GorillaJu

I'm like 10 pages behind in this thread. Did anything come of the Sherwood fisting Vertonghen rumors?

That tax spike in the land of the rising sun. Shopping sprees left and right I hear.

Yeah everyone's buying their new TVs and such today. My gf is buying a MacBook Pro. I'm off to pick up a few meager dress shirts :lol

subtles

I'm like 10 pages behind in this thread. Did anything come of the Sherwood fisting Vertonghen rumors?

I think the rumor was Dawson. Lennon and Soldado denied it happened and nobody (as of yet) has been able to substantiate the claim.

Also:

Apparently Tim Sherwood punched Soldado. Soldado went to punch him back but missed.

:lol

GorillaJu

Hahahaha

Tbf Soldado was the best player for Spurs yesterday. Everyone else seemed just completely absent.

Cherry blossom season is in, boys. Best part of the year. Sitting at 20 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

Time for an afternoon pilsner and some reading.

Meier

Rosamund Pike is incredible, but she's no Eva Green.

And it's painfully undignified to have her slavering over that midget prick.

She looked really hot during this movie -- her cleavage was out of this world. I thought it was decent enough for what it was. Not worthy paying $10 to see, but a good movie to stream for free via Netflix or Amazon.

Meier

Just saw the Mertens goal.. that was really, really nice. Buffon was so annoyed.

Would you not want to punch this face?

http://i.imgur.com/DVW8rOb.jpg[IMG]

If you say no you're a liar.[/QUOTE]
Those eyebrows Fuck me, someone talk to the guy.

This is painful:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/5nnnPzp.png

subtles

Enjoy Morsel, you lucky man.

"I haven’t watched the 5-0 back, I’m too scared to."

I wonder how he prepared for the game then. :/

Spurs' record against the top four is shocking.

Timmy...........

Justifying sitting in the stands because you couldn't "influence" the game and simply wanting to analyse struck me as weird. He sat there from the very beginning iirc. Hardly a way to inspire confidence in the team. The man is broken now.

FuturusX

Horror results.

/dead

With a negative goal difference Spurs making the top 4 would have been awfully deceptive. For large periods of the campaign Spurs have been a shambles. Even last season they were often 'Baled' out of results consistency then was a problem it's an even bigger one now.

They replaced Bale with 4 average players. Players that can succeed over time, but players that needed the focus of a good system provided by a good manager.

EDIT: Timmy in the stands...

It was the act of a coward. If Spurs had been 2-0 up by the half perhaps he would have come down to take credit, I mean solidify and consolidate his tactical brilliance. But instead they were 2-0 down and played off the park, so his 'distance' was required to analyze and suggest a long term fix. The truth is he didn't want to be associated with the team and it's poor performance. He discarded them.

In football: You are only a couple of results away from being lorded a king or having a banner flown overhead calling for your demise. Brendan looks like the best manager in the league, because Liverpool are top and can win the big prize, and rightly so. Results matter. The knives were out for Pelligrini when City were on that run of awful away form...Wenger was a genius until they predictably faltered. The special one doesn't look so special having lost two games in few weeks.

He setup the team to play expansive football as though they could ever do that a Anfield...when he should have looking to play a deep dormant counter attacking side happy for the draw. He only confirmed what even the most enthusiastic of supporters knew of his managerial credentials, he doesn't have the stomach or knowledge for getting results by any means necessary.

GorillaJu

Every time goal difference is mentioned I replay that GOAT Hitcher quote in my head. I'm sure he didn't mean it the way it came out but I love it all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom