• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtles

Which flying dragon cunt?
image.php

GorillaJu

I like Grantland but this article about Man City stings here:

But while Liverpool have been a fairly simple story this season — fun overachievers aim to recapture lost glory — Manchester City have been something more complex. I don’t know; maybe any team whose billionaire oil-sheikh owner bought it from the deposed prime minister of Thailand is bound to come with some subclauses. But this year it’s as if Manchester City have finally turned into the club it was supposed to become way back when Sheikh Mansour took over, in the misty Cimmerian prehistory of 2008

Liverpool simply overachievers. How often does a club go from 7th to a title challenge? And exactly what is more complex about Man City's rise than Liverpool's? I'd like to know, because while Rodgers has been tinkering and redefining our playing style over the year to get results in impressive fashion, City's path to the top couldn't be simpler: buy top talent in their prime years for positions that need strengthening (Demichelis exempt).

Good article otherwise though

Quick theory for you here. An attack in soccer is like a baby turtle. You know baby sea turtles, those little guys? They hatch on dry land, in nests on the beach. After they’ve nosed their way (adorably) out of their eggs, they have to get to the ocean. Only the ocean is maybe 20 yards away — 20 yards of bare sand, policed by predators who are waiting for exactly this moment. For a lot of hatchlings, it’s a sweet, tentative scramble toward certain death, which should definitely sound familiar if you’re an Arsenal fan. It’s like, ohmigodohmigodohmigod almost there I hear the water almost there and then BAM, seagull strike. I feel the surf I feel the surf I’m safe I’m going to make it and then POW, crab attack. As few as 1 percent of sea turtle hatchlings survive to adulthood; a good proportion of the rest become nature’s Snickers bars for the whole rogue’s gallery of beach-dwelling douche-creatures. Snackers gonna snack.

My point is this: It is way, way easier to be a defender in soccer than an attacker. A guy trying to exercise precise control over a ball he can’t touch with his hands is helpless prey, in most circumstances, for a guy who only needs to thunk the ball as hard as possible. Most attacks die sharp-beaked deaths a long way from the sea. The ones that do make it tend to look fragile and fortunate. Baby turtles don’t have master plans.

Yen

GOT question, I'm up to S3E7:
What exactly was Ser Jorah Mormont's relationship with Varys? He was a spy right? When did he stop doing this? I think news of Dany being pregnant was the only time he passed on info, I can't think of anything else. This came to my mind after Jorah was asking Barrisatn questions about whether he was on Robert's council.

If I win the 25K i'm spreading the wealth. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fifa 15, for everyone in the thread.

and PES and FM too, so we can earn even more money. Imagine that, we will be bankrupting the betting sites soon.

GOT question, I'm up to S3E7:
What exactly was Ser Jorah Mormont's relationship with Varys? He was a spy right? When did he stop doing this? I think news of Dany being pregnant was the only time he passed on info, I can't think of anything else. This came to my mind after Jorah was asking Barrisatn questions about whether he was on Robert's council.
He was feeding him information in exchange for gold and a pardon. He stopped around the time he fell in love with Daenerys I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom