• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sun today on Mourinho's signings:

"Kurt Zouma and Marco van Ginkel have hardly played"

Never mind ones been injured all year and one isn't even at the fucking club :lol

and Matic has been poor apparently.

dbnfvfE.jpg

Clegg

The Sun today on Mourinho's signings:

"Kurt Zouma and Marco van Ginkel have hardly played"

Never mind ones been injured all year and one isn't even at the fucking club :lol
Well..

They're not wrong.

That's about all you can say about it though.

Wilbur

Banned
The fuck

Hannover 96 officials found a dead sheep hanging from a fence around their training pitch as the team prepared for the Lower Saxony derby against Eintracht Braunschweig on Sunday.

The dead sheep, painted in the green of Hannover's club colours, was tied to the fence with a sign next to it reading: "On Sunday your time is up, you filthy animals."

Meier

Dodgers play Giants pretty early today. Hopefully Ryu continues his ace form.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens when Bills and Beckett are healthy again. If they're healthy again. Ryu is probably a #1 at half the teams in the league.. crazy he's our #3! I'm ready for Kemp to get back (think he is supposed to play today).. hopefully he can put all these stupid injuries behind him.

Ever since Spartak proclaimed themselves title favourites they have picked 2 points out of 5 games, been knocked out of the cup by a third division side, fired their coach, will have dropped outside of the top 5 by the end of the weekend.

New stadium but no European football next season. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Salazar

Wonder if the Villa fan forum, like Redcafe, has a thread that reads

"Benteke's Achilles Explosion: A Blessing in Disguise ?"

L1NETT

Saw Noah

What on earth was that.

Hammy performances (Crowe especially), bizarre....stuff really (don't wanna spoil anything too badly), too long, over the top bombastic insanity.

Enjoyable score though.

5/10.

Wilbur

Banned
Saw Noah

What on earth was that.

Hammy performances (Crowe especially), bizarre....stuff really (don't wanna spoil anything too badly), too long, over the top bombastic insanity.

Enjoyable score though.

5/10.

Yeah I think I'd give it about the same. 6/10 maybe, it looked good and was interesting enough to warrant being made. Some of the themes were brave, second half was a good concept, and the big set piece was nice. Thought that the "in the beginning" sequence where it showed
the evolution
was wonderful.

Terrible overwrought dialogue, some odd performances (Ray Winstone just plays Ray Winstone nowadays, and Crowe is nowhere near as interesting when he's all internal brooding as opposed how good he was being explosive in LA Confidential), and all just a bit weird.

arkon

Any recent-ish recommendations? My backlog is pretty big already, but what the hell. You're a man of fine taste, arkon.

I haven't read loads of them myself as I'm more into fantasy but I can give you some authors to get you started.

Alistair Reynolds - I've read House of Suns which I liked lots. Standalone, hard sci-fi with a sense of wonder to it. Lots of other stuff to check out both standalone (Pushing Ice, Terminal World) and series works (Revelation Space series, Poseidon's Children trilogy).

Iain M Banks - His Culture series is highly regarded. Start with Consider Phlebas or the Player of Games.

Peter F Hamilton - Has these huge space opera books that I've been too intimidated to try out. Will take a crack later this year. Seems closest to what I'm looking for, may not be to your liking. Have heard some rather uncomplimentary things about certain aspects of his writing.

Greg Egan - hard sci-fi in every sense. Lots of stuff to try out but his new series (the Orthogonal trilogy) is probably the best place. http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/ORTHOGONAL/00/PM.html gives you an idea of what you're dealing with in that series. Crazy stuff.

A bit more recent would be things like The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi (which is followed by The Fractal Prince and The Causal Angel) and Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.

There's also some longer series out there like the Vorkosigan books by Bujold, but the style and genre can vary from book to book. Wouldn't necessarily say they're hard sci-fi either.

I'll be looking to try out some stuff from authors like Gary Gibson soon-ish. I've been reading too much fantasy recently and need a change.

Hope that helps

I haven't read loads of them myself as I'm more into fantasy but I can give you some authors to get you started.

Alistair Reynolds - I've read House of Suns which I liked lots. Standalone, hard sci-fi with a sense of wonder to it. Lots of other stuff to check out both standalone (Pushing Ice, Terminal World) and series works (Revelation Space series, Poseidon's Children trilogy).

Iain M Banks - His Culture series is highly regarded. Start with Consider Phlebas or the Player of Games.

Peter F Hamilton - Has these huge space opera books that I've been too intimidated to try out. Will take a crack later this year. Seems closest to what I'm looking for, may not be to your liking. Have heard some rather uncomplimentary things about certain aspects of his writing.

Greg Egan - hard sci-fi in every sense. Lots of stuff to try out but his new series (the Orthogonal trilogy) is probably the best place. http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/ORTHOGONAL/00/PM.html gives you an idea of what you're dealing with in that series. Crazy stuff.

A bit more recent would be things like The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi (which is followed by The Fractal Prince and The Causal Angel) and Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.

There's also some longer series out there like the Vorkosigan books by Bujold, but the style and genre can vary from book to book. Wouldn't necessarily say they're hard sci-fi either.

I'll be looking to try out some stuff from authors like Gary Gibson soon-ish. I've been reading too much fantasy recently and need a change.

Hope that helps

I've had The Reality Dysfunction sitting on my bookshelf for about 3 years now. It looks terrifying, especially when you open it and see how small the font is :p

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sherwood's being a twat now, his tone has changed completely since he took over in December. On us not beating the top teams this season:

‘Tottenham don’t beat the top teams, this is not a new thing’.

Last season we beat United, Arsenal, Liverpool and City in the league, so Tim please shut the fuck up. You're not getting the job.

Sherwood's being a twat now, his tone has changed completely since he took over in December. On us not beating the top teams this season:

Last season we beat United, Arsenal, Liverpool and City in the league, so Tim please shut the fuck up. You're not getting the job.

dat AVB.

Bumhead

Banned
Keep forgetting we are on telly tonight.

Pretty much going to be a Leicester promotion party and we will lose by 3 or 4 in full on holiday mode.

Scum

Oh. He's gone cray cray. Just relegate him back to coaching the kids again, Ush.

Zabojnik

G...german humour?

I haven't read loads of them myself as I'm more into fantasy but I can give you some authors to get you started. [...]

Thanks arkon. <3 Much appreciated. I'm actually familiar and / or have read quite a few of these writers/works and some of them are on my list already. Hannu Rajaniemi comes highly recommended from a buddy of mine, so I might bite into that next. House of Suns sounds intriguing as well. Culture, check. Hamilton, check.

I've had The Reality Dysfunction sitting on my bookshelf for about 3 years now. It looks terrifying, especially when you open it and see how small the font is :p

Yeah. That whole trilogy has a word count of 1 million +.

The Reality Dysfunction is great. Go for it, Hitcher. The first two books more so than the last one, which was kinda a bit 'out there' with the whole SPOILER
Al Capone
thing. Still, love me some Hamilton. The Void series is worth reading as well, though I didn't find it as engrossing overall. Some of his ideas and views on humanity's evolution are just amazing.

Blablurn

Next time you could just replace "unimportant" with Bundesliga.

hahahahahahahahahaha

YOU SO FUNNY ^^

Bundesliga is sooooooooo shit. OMG O MA GOSH ITS SO SHIT RIGHT

I mean, seriously....

ITS SOOO SHIT IT MAKES EVERYTHING LOOOOK SOO MUCH BETTER..

EVEN THE RUSSIAN league ^^ hahahaha

ahahaha svat, u r a funny guy ^^ hahahahahaha

ibsAjkHMIqo4Uu.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
hahahahahahahahahaha

YOU SO FUNNY ^^

Bundesliga is sooooooooo shit. OMG O MA GOSH ITS SO SHIT RIGHT

I mean, seriously....

ITS SOOO SHIT IT MAKES EVERYTHING LOOOOK SOO MUCH BETTER..

EVEN THE RUSSIAN league ^^ hahahaha

ahahaha svat, u r a funny guy ^^ hahahahahaha

ibsAjkHMIqo4Uu.gif
Looooooooòooooooooooooooooooooooo...*deadddd*

Please, they have a higher average attendance than Zenit. For the record, several 2nd Bundesliga clubs have a higher one as well. As long as a club has fans it's not unimportant.
This criticism would work if you attacked actual Russian teams that have no fans like CSKA but it doesn't work for Zenit. Zenit has a small stadium. That's always sold out.

Maybe in two years when our 70k stadium is open then you could try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom