• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT18| Coming Early by L. Piscium

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

Thanks arkon. <3 Much appreciated. I'm actually familiar and / or have read quite a few of these writers/works and some of them are on my list already. Hannu Rajaniemi comes highly recommended from a buddy of mine, so I might bite into that next. House of Suns sounds intriguing as well. Culture, check. Hamilton, check.

I wasn't sure if you'd read some of the mainstays. You're then looking at branching out into the less well-known names like David Brin, Paul J. McAuley, Linda Nagata, Joan Slonczewski, Julie Czerneda, Peter Watts, Adam Roberts, Christopher Priest etc.

The Reality Dysfunction is great. Go for it, Hitcher. The first two books more so than the last one, which was kinda a bit 'out there' with the whole SPOILER
Al Capone
thing. Still, love me some Hamilton. The Void series is worth reading as well, though I didn't find it as engrossing overall. Some of his ideas and views on humanity's evolution are just amazing.

Cool. I'll have to get on that later this year.

Yen

The trailers for Richard Ayoade's The Double look good. Plus it has J Mascis and Chris Morris in it. Going to have to wait for Netflix/home release though.

Wilbur

Banned
The trailers for Richard Ayoade's The Double look good. Plus it has J Mascis and Chris Morris in it. Going to have to wait for Netflix/home release though.

Was gonna go see it today, but I'll try and catch it next week instead

L1NETT

Seeing it tomorrow :)

Should be good, but it doesn't look that original in concept. Apparently Eisenberg is mint in it, so that should be swell.

And more Chris Morris is all any human can ask for.

--

TV recommendation

Peaky Blinders! Has Cilian Murphy, post WW1 gang thingy set in Brum. Fucking ace, best thing BBC has done in donkeys.

Tom Hardy gonna be in season 2.

Wilbur

Banned
Seeing it tomorrow :)

Should be good, but it doesn't look that original in concept. Apparently Eisenberg is mint in it, so that should be swell.

And more Chris Morris is all any human can ask for.

--

TV recommendation

Peaky Blinders! Has Cilian Murphy, post WW1 gang thingy set in Brum. Fucking ace, best thing BBC has done in donkeys.

Well it's an adaptation of the Dostoyevsky story isn't it? So it's not supposed to be original :lol

faridmon

--

TV recommendation

I have actually watched it until some episodes and It just didn't grab me at all. Maybe that cements the fact that I hardly enjoy periodic series.

L1NETT

Well it's an adaptation of the Dostoyevsky story isn't it? So it's not supposed to be original :lol

Thinking more along the lines of Brazil, but yeah it's a kinda sorta adaptation of a story

Looks good though, Submarine was great so all for more Ayoade making films.

I have actually watched it until some episodes and It just didn't grab me at all. Maybe that cements the fact that I hardly enjoy periodic series.

Farid noooooooooo

Fair enough, some of the accents are fucking dreadful too

Was so close to being an extra in season 2 (were filming right close to uni) but the lines were like every school in the country in Thorpe Park at once.

Barzul

BkUW5igIAAA4sB9.jpg

Wow.

Turok_TTZ

I don't know how y'all rate Benzema currently. Where does he stand according to footygaf?
curious.

@ above. how the hell has diaby not retired?

Wilbur

Banned
Thinking more along the lines of Brazil, but yeah it's a kinda sorta adaptation of a story

Looks good though, Submarine was great so all for more Ayoade making films.

Haven't seen Submarine yet, should get around to it.

I don't know how y'all rate Benzema currently. Where does he stand according to footygaf?
curious.

@ above. how the hell has diaby not retired?

Very good, always has had the potential to be more than that but I'm not sure if he'll ever get there.

faridmon

Farid noooooooooo

Fair enough, some of the accents are fucking dreadful too

Was so close to being an extra in season 2 (were filming right close to uni) but the lines were like every school in the country in Thorpe Park at once.

I honestly tried. I heard good things about it and I really tried to see the appeal of it. Tom Hardy was amazing, but the whole thing just felt forced to me (due to the horrible accent especially since I live in Brum) and the whole snail pace tension was just too much.

I think I may be very narrow minded when it comes to TV Series :(

Mastadon

Banned
I'm interested in seeing how Pearson does at the top level.

Me too, not really sure how good a manager he actually is. Leicester were disappointing last year, and considering the money they have available you expect them to be winning the league.

L1NETT

I honestly tried. I heard good things about it and I really tried to see the appeal of it. Tom Hardy was amazing, but the whole thing just felt forced to me (due to the horrible accent especially since I live in Brum) and the whole snail pace tension was just too much.

I think I may be very narrow minded when it comes to TV Series :(

You mean Cillian Murphy? :p. It can slow agreed, but I love the tension that built up, the Sam Neil character especially.

You live in Brum! (I do apologise)

Why haven't we met up for a cuddle at the Bullring.

---

Leicester gonna have to buy wisely in the summer. I do like them, but think they may struggle in the prem

Can't see them doing a Palace and buying 400 garbage strikers but still...

Feorax

Might be a bit early to go muppet, but I've seen a few rumours we have our first deal done for the summer.

Could (and is likely to be) well be BS, but the hints given are that it's a PL player, should be going to the WC, and the fee is over £20m.

Salazar

Might be a bit early to go muppet, but I've seen a few rumours we have our first deal done for the summer.

Could (and is likely to be) well be BS, but the hints given are that it's a PL player, should be going to the WC, and the fee is over £20m.

Big Andy Comin Home

Wilbur

Banned
Wonder if David Marshall will move to a PL team when Cardiff get relegated.

Don't think it's a priority position for anyone in the league

Would definitely take him as back - up.

Deserves to be better than back up; I was thinking about Team of the year stuff today and I'd have him just behind De Gea I think. He's been absolutely superb all year. I think Burnley - if they come up - should definitely have a crack. Heaton's alright but he won't be a stand out in the Prem.

Me too, not really sure how good a manager he actually is. Leicester were disappointing last year, and considering the money they have available you expect them to be winning the league.

The problem with so many Championship teams that come up is that they just stay that way, squad wise. Bruce (and Hull's owner, to be fair to him), did a great job of grabbing Huddlestone, Long; proven Premier League quality that actually make a difference. Leicester's squad is a decent one obviously, but they'll need to buy well as Linny says.

Welcome back to Liverpool, Wazza.

It's Luke Shaw obvsly

Mastadon

Banned

That would indicate Luke Shaw I suppose? Not a prayer.

Congrats on getting Welbeck.

faridmon

You mean Cillian Murphy? :p. It can slow agreed, but I love the tension that built up, the Sam Neil character especially.

You live in Brum! (I do apologise)

Why haven't we met up for a cuddle at the Bullring.

Oh, sorry, yeah, Cillian Murphy (I had to google him), but yeah, I can only stomach slow build-up only when it comes to mystery (that is why I loved Rubicon and the likes)

Well, I live in Acocks Green so I am more of Sullhillian (or rather a pretender of one) than a Brrummie who happens to loaf around Bullring. Maybe, I should invite you to some of the gigs I am planing to go next month or something if you are up to it.

L1NETT

Oh, sorry, yeah, Cillian Murphy (I had to google him), but yeah, I can only stomach slow build-up only when it comes to mystery (that is why I loved Rubicon and the likes)

Well, I live in Acocks Green so I am more of Sullhillian (or rather a pretender of one) than a Brrummie who happens to loaf around Bullring. Maybe, I should invite you to some of the gigs I am planing to go next month or something if you are up to it.

I'm Selly Oak so not too far away

There is sweet FA on at the 02 soon (got exams soon) but if there is summat on then I am game :)

Wilbur

Banned
Lovely goal. Great to have Antonio back after a mixed season of injuries.

Schmeichel should have done better I think, but it was a great cut in.

Antonio was a hero for me on FM 2013. Even in the Prem, I'd bring him on when losing or drawing and he'd always score even though he was like a 1.5 rated player by then <3333

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom