• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

I haven't even seen band of brothers yet :(

Christ.

Reckon there are going to be laughs in Spurs v Fulham. Tim says his squad are "much of a muchness".

I can help you there, Tim. I am, like you, no expert on Spurs, but Eriksen is fucking leagues ahead of some of the others. And it's hard to consistently give a shit about Paulinho.

FootballFan

BkfRxrbIIAAF3ZG.jpg:large

This seems so long ago.

So long ago, that Suarez' hair turned white in the picture.

Apparently Gündogan went to Crimea for treatment (for his back injury).
http://www.sports.ru/football/159547409.html (russian)
Putin's puppet!
(maybe he's got Tatar family there)

/oh wow, so RB Leipzig sold 30k tickets for one of the last home games where they can solidify their promotion to the second division. At this rate they'll probably go up to first division in 2015, win the championship in 2016 and the CL in 2017. Dat energy drink money..

Fergie

Banned
David Moyes believes Roberto Martinez is flourishing at Everton because of the strong foundations he left behind at Goodison Park.
After receiving a fond farewell from Everton fans in his final home match last May, Moyes is set for a hostile reception when he returns on Sunday for the first time since taking over Manchester United.
However he has told those supporters that they and Martinez are benefiting from the Everton legacy he built in his 11 years on Merseyside.

"They have some really good players and they have gone on again. Great credit to Roberto but he has a group of players who were always capable of moving up the league," said Moyes.
"Don't forget Everton finished above Liverpool last year, and the year before. So it was a great achievement. In a way it should not be a surprise they are doing well. They've been in seventh or eighth place for most seasons recently.
"We also finished in the Champions League [in 2005]. Hopefully in time everyone will look at it and say it was a really good period in Everton's history.
"He's picked up a really good group of players, there's some top senior players there. There has always been a chain of young players ready to go in the team and I think that's helped. We had a great recruitment department, a brilliant staff, all round the club. All those people have helped. It's a well-run club."
Moyes drew the ire of Everton fans with his summer-long pursuit of Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines, only the former of which he managed to take to United for a fee of £27.5 million.
Some Everton fans also believe Moyes knew he was leaving for United a lot sooner than he let on.
He was subjected to boos by the visiting support when Everton won 1-0 at Old Trafford earlier this season, yet believes any feelings of disgruntlement will have now subsided.
When asked what Everton fans may have taken umbrage to, Moyes replied: "Possibly the way people see me leaving. Maybe people don't believe how it happened. I think there was animosity because of the players - we'd like to have bought a couple of them. But lots of United players go to Everton - so there is a reverse.
"I went to see Everton on Saturday against Sunderland [away]. I've not been back to Goodison. I've just felt that it wasn't the right time to go back at this moment. Time is big healer as well. It is nearly a year since I probably only found out about the opportunity [to join United], it was about May 1 - April 28th, something like that."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/300953.html#gPTULzbxruTXPgHy.99

David Moyes' argument that his Manchester United squad is not good enough holds no weight, according to Everton manager Roberto Martinez.
United travel to Everton on Sunday as Moyes gets set to return to Goodison Park for the first time since leaving for Old Trafford last summer.
Whereas Martinez's side are fighting it out for the fourth and final Champions League spot with Arsenal, United's best hope appears to be earning a Europa League berth - which sources have told ESPN that club owners the Glazer family are demanding of Moyes.

While Moyes has blamed the quality of his squad on United's rapid decline this season from being champions last term, Martinez insists they should in fact be better off following the £27.5 million capture of Marouane Fellaini - from Everton, no less - and £37.1 million January signing Juan Mata.
"They are still the league champions and they haven't lost anyone," said Martinez. "It's the opposite. They have two players on top.
"United's squad is bigger and better than people are trying to make out."
Moyes has previously suggested his predecessor Sir Alex Ferguson left an ageing group behind, however Martinez has pointed to Jose Mourinho's Chelsea as proof that United manager can have no excuses.
He added: "Who are these United veterans? Rio Ferdinand? How many games has Rio played? Not many and Ryan Giggs hasn't played many, either.
"You could look at Chelsea and say they are more of an ageing squad. In football, not everything is straightforward - there's no black and white.
"An ageing squad if you win becomes an experienced squad with knowhow. If you lose, it becomes the players have no legs. It's something in between those extremes.
"You look at Chelsea, title contenders, but squad-wise worse than United."

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/300951.html#L3cbUVZH4gAfYqW0.99

ip5KlGq0cIOb3.gif

WJD

Completely apathetic towards Moyes' awfulness now. Can't even get myself worked up over it anymore, just want him gone.

Still trying to proof read moron-girl's letter of advice too and it's physically painful. If it wasn't confidential I'd be tempted to post it here to show it off in all its abhorrence.

I know a Mexican-American named Moises (Spanish for Moses). "Moyes" is very close to that, so I'm pretty sure it's ancient Scottish for Moses.
Don't doubt the messiah. Wait for him to part the red sea that is the pool of livers.

iA1S7dn62Q3Kk.png

Can't wait to see him come back as Cyborg Gundogan.
Yeah, we'll see about that. Let's get him to run a 100m first..

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Our team today: Lloris, Naughton, Kaboul, Fryers, Rose; Lennon, Chadli, Paulinho, Eriksen; Adebayor, Kane.

Our subs today: Friedel, Chiriches, Bentaleb, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Townsend, Soldado #COYS

A bench that's better than the first team. We have reached a new low.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I know y'all can't wait for this

Mauro Icardi continues to send messages to Maxi Lopez, after Wanda Nara changed her Twitter name to Wanda Icardi.

On Friday night he posted a tweet in Spanish: “If you love two people at the same time, choose the second. Because if you truly loved the first, you wouldn’t have fallen in love with the second.”

This week Icardi tweeted he had been together with Wanda for “one year and seven months,” implying the relationship started long before she split up with Maxi in November 2013.
tumblr_n44hosfRsO1qb8shfo1_500.gif

jesalr

Sherwood when he took over 'I know the team better than anyone'

Sherwood now 'I have no idea of my best team'

Dude is crazy. Has dropped Sandro for no real reason I can tell.

Ushojax

Is Sandro injured?

Who the fuck knows. He's in training, but Sherwood famously 'doesn't like holding midfielders' and thinks Makelele was the worst thing to ever happen to the PL.

Because Chadli can score a goal he's now a better CM than Sandro. Just 4 more games of this fuckwit to go. When we lose today I look forward to him complaining about guts while leaving all the hard working players in the stands.

Sandro Raniere ‏@sandroraniere 1h
Good morning Guys, just to let you know that i'm not injured ! Hope that we can win the game today.

scarface39k9b_zps3a7ac869.gif

Bit desperate from Moyes that but I understand why he want at defend himself a bit.

Everton are guilty of rewriting history a little bit with regards to his time at the club IMO.

Although it is thoroughly depressing to read what the players have to say about Moyes vs Martinez. Even allowing for their current buzz - just worlds apart in their approaches.

Also that is very snidey from Martinez. Fair enough really. But yeah, damn, twisting that knife. He's right anyway, but not completely cos there's more to it than just that.

jesalr

Who the fuck knows. He's in training, but Sherwood famously 'doesn't like holding midfielders' and thinks Makelele was the worst thing to ever happen to the PL.

Because Chadli can score a goal he's now a better CM than Sandro. Just 4 more games of this fuckwit to go. When we lose today I look forward to him complaining about guts while leaving all the hard working players in the stands.

scarface39k9b_zps3a7ac869.gif

All I can hope is that Sherwood goes entirely immediately. The longer he sticks around, the more I can see players tempted away. Hopefully the new manager will be a big enough name to keep the likes of Sandro, Vertonghen, and Lloris interested.

Sherwood is the best hahah

Is Van Gaal all but confirmed Usho?

Not yet. Rumours that he'd decide in the next week.

Ushojax

Sherwood is the best hahah

Is Van Gaal all but confirmed Usho?

Not really, there are going to be a lot of jobs available this summer so I think LVG is keeping his options open. I get the sense it's more likely to be MoPo.

Andy Mitten's latest piece on United is a disheartening read.

So much discontent around the club. Really do wonder if it's even possible to turn it around.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Nope, sorry.

My guess is someone filmed pulga and FF fighting

smacking a guy from behind sounds like something FF would do

So much discontent around the club. Really do wonder if it's even possible to turn it around.

you silly goose, you are the richest club in the world, OF COURSE IT'S POSSIBLE!

Salazar

There are moments of levity.

Another not content is Nani, who is currently as happy as a typical United fan is at the prospect of Liverpool or City winning the league. It’s a shame, for he’s such a talent. I recently spoke to someone who worked closely with the Portuguese winger throughout his career.

“Nani’s a great player,” he said. “It’s tragedy what’s happened to him. What have they done to him?”

Arnie

So La Liga is shit today. Are there any good matches at Premier or Bundesliga to watch later on?
Chelsea play Sunderland at half 5.

If they win they go top (having played one game more) and if they drop points it gives Liverpool the chance to extend their lead tomorrow.

Chelsea play Sunderland at half 5.

If they win they go top (having played one game more) and if they drop points it gives Liverpool the chance to extend their lead tomorrow.

Ok. I´ll watch that. Anything Chelsea is obviously relevant to my interests...

EDIT: Shit my cable provider doesn´t broadcast it in my package of contracted channels... Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom