• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack cw

Really don't want Van Gaal.

Look at his fucking face.

Yo can say about him what you want, but he is one of the few coaches that could manage a generational overhaul within a huge club. His work was baseline for Ajax, Barca and Bayern. He might be stubborn and not the biggest fan of star players but his eye for talents and tactical understanding is incredible.

Really don't want Van Gaal.

Look at his fucking face.

Yo can say about him what you want, but he is one of the few coaches that could manage a generational overhaul within a huge club. His work was baseline for Ajax, Barca and Bayern. He might be stubborn and not the biggest fan of star players but his eye for talents and tactical understanding is incredible.

I'd be very ok with van Gaal. I'd just prefer Klopp.

Pennywise

This.
He can be a pretty big asshole and his press conferences and yellow press stuff will be hilarious, but he's already proven himself over and over again.

Clegg

If we're judging managers on aesthetics then we'd never find one.

Klopp has a rapey look to him and Van Gaal's likeness was carved out of a spoon.

If we're judging managers on aesthetics then we'd never find one.

Klopp has a rapey look to him and Van Gaal's likeness was carved out of a spoon.

interview-juergen-klopp.jpg

Jack cw

I'd be very ok with van Gaal. I'd just prefer Klopp.

Fair enough, but Klopp build his "Dortmund" over the years. He worked for around 3 years until he got the players for his system. Moyes didnt even get 6 months and the expectations with Klopp would be even higher. To play his idea of high pressing counter football it needs several new and good players, that arent only skilled, but mentally on the same level as Klopp. I dont think he is the savior United needs right now, what United needs is a good old football teacher who implements a system and use his experience to scout some great players that could become class under his work. As strange as it sounds, Klopp is more risky than van Gaal.

GorillaJu

Klopp is definitely riskier than Van Gaal. But Moyes is the very definition of safe. I'm sure United fans would be perfectly ok with taking a risk at this point.

Not really surprised by the Guardiola-Pirlo thing, it's something so shady but I'm pretty sure everybody does it (contacting the player first then the club) so there isn't a lot to talk about.
ZABOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

okay for LiverpoolGAF and PirloGAF

on the bright side Pirlo, you did win two with Milan after all. And one against us, so shut up.

Maldini should take notes, that's how you talk after a similar match. Complaining about the fans isn't really what you should do at that point.
"...because if God exists, there's no way he's French"
Gold quote. Should be our motto.

Pennywise

Fair enough, but Klopp build his "Dortmund" over the years. He worked for around 3 years until he got the players for his system. Moyes didnt even get 6 months and the expectations with Klopp would be even higher. To play his idea of high pressing counter football it needs several new and good players, that arent only skilled, but mentally on the same level as Klopp. I dont think he is the savior United needs right now, what United needs is a good old football teacher who implements a system and use his experience to scout some great players that could become class under his work. As strange as it sounds, Klopp is more risky than van Gaal.

The difference is, Manchester had a solid foundation....

Renember with whom Klopp started, there were players like Nelson Valdez,Federico and so on.
It took alot of time because they had to generate money and develop players, something that isn't particularly necessary with United.

Jack cw

The difference is, Manchester had a solid foundation....

Renember with whom Klopp started, there were players like Nelson Valdez,Federico and so on.
It took alot of time because they had to generate money and develop players, something that isn't particularly necessary with United.

Thats true but thats why it took him so long to get a squad together that became competitive. Look who is left with United, the midfield with mostly holding midfielders or the wingers. Besides Valencia there is only Nani who might be over his prime. And there is still an aging center back problem and basically one decent full back. There is a lot to do for United tbh.

Pennywise

Thats true but thats why it took him so long to get a squad together that became competitive. Look who is left with United, the midfield with mostly holding midfielders or the wingers. Besides Valencia there is only Nani who might be over his prime. And there is still an aging center back problem and basically one decent full back. There is a lot to do for United tbh.

That's something HE as coach should have seen.
They were lacking speed in the middle for quite some time, and what did they do ?
Buying someone like Fellaini..

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
and now it's Madrid's turn

It's the summer of 2006, we've just won the World Cup, and I'm thoroughly drunk on life. I go out and about on my bike in the quiet little streets of Forte dei Marmi and, as I pass by on the seafront, people stop and pat me on the back.

They must have thought that beating France in the final had fried my brain, but there was something they didn't know. They were missing a vital piece of the story, namely that as things stood, I belonged to Real Madrid, not Milan. I was a Madrid player in my head, my heart and my soul. I had a five-year contract sitting waiting, and a salary that was out of this world.

The Madrid coach Fabio Capello phoned. And then Franco Baldini, their director of football. Everyone wanted to speak to me. I had a word with my agent, Tullio Tinti, and asked him to find out what Milan were saying about it all.

Shortly after, I was due back at Milanello. To make the Champions League proper, we had to get through a qualifier against Red Star Belgrade. At that point Tullio said to me: "Hold off on going back. Let me speak to Real. If you really want a change of scene from Forte dei Marmi, head back to your house in Brescia. And keep your mobile on – in a little while you'll get a call."

No sooner had he said it than the phone started ringing. Nostradamus was a mere amateur compared to our Tullio.

"Hello Andrea, it's Fabio Capello here." Only one of the most successful coaches in the history of the sport.

"Hello, coach. How are you?"

"I'm great, and I imagine you're even better. Come and join us. We've just signed Emerson from Juventus and you're the man to play beside him in midfield."

"Okay then."

He didn't need much time to convince me. Less than a minute, I reckon. Not least because I'd already seen the contract. My agent had studied it in great detail and then shot off to Madrid.

"Andrea, we're on."

"I'm really happy about that, Tullio."

I pictured myself in that white jersey. Pristine, and at the same time aggressive; a mean streak running through its unusual purity. My thoughts often wandered to the Santiago Bernabeu, the Temple, a ground that struck terror into opponents. Bruised and battered slaves at the king's banquet.

"What do we do now then, Tullio?"

"Let's go for lunch in a few days."

"Where? Meson Txistu in Plaza de Angel Carbajo?"

"No, Andrea; not Madrid. Milanello."

"What do you mean 'Milanello'? Are you stupid?"

"Nope, you heard right: Milanello. We haven't got Galliani's approval yet."

I was a Madrid player in my head, my heart and my soul. I had a five-year contract sitting waiting, and a salary that was out of this world"

The menu was always the same: I knew it off by heart. Antipasto, starter, main course and then the legendary ice cream with crunchy bits on top.

We met in the room used for team meals, halfway between the kitchens and the hall with the hearth where Berlusconi would pound away on the piano and tell various kinds of jokes.

Tullio spoke first. "Andrea's going to sign for Real."

Then me: "Yes…"

Then it was Galliani, staring straight at me. "Andrea, my friend, you're not going anywhere."

He pulled out a little case from under the table. That made me smile, thinking it had been just as well hidden as Monica Lewinsky under Bill Clinton's desk in the Oval Office.

A contract then appeared from the case, with Mr Biro (Galliani) adding, "You're not leaving, because you're going to sign this. It's for five years, and we've left the salary details blank so you can write in whatever you like."

Tullio just about ripped it out of my hands. "I'll keep hold of this."

He took his time, brought it home, read it and read it again. I went off to the national team training camp at Coverciano and, for a few days, I didn't hear anything. I thought it was a done deal: I was thinking in Spanish, dreaming in Spanish. My imagination was in overdrive, flying off to Madrid and landing somewhere between Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol.

And then my agent phoned me.

"Sign for Milan. Right now, they'll not let you leave."

"No…"

"Yes."

"Ok, fine."

You're then forced to tell the media a lot of crap; provided, of course, that they manage to ask you the right question. If they enquire whether it's right you'd practically signed for Madrid, you're duty-bound to respond hiding behind well-worn clichés and half-truths. You read a dull, lifeless script written by press officers with no talent or creative spark.

"No, that's not the case. I'm perfectly happy at Milan."

F*** off.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
You cut off the bit at the end you cheeky shit! :lol

a bit unfair on MilanGAF, he sounds bitter as hell :lol

It's a pity it went the way it did. I'd have signed for Real in a heartbeat. They're a club with more glamour than Milan; more prospects, more appeal, more everything. They strike fear in their opponents, whoever they happen to be.

All that said, at the end of the season I had the consolation of winning the Champions League. It could have gone a lot worse.

Walshy

Pirlo also agreed a deal with Chelsea too in 2009.

It was August 2009 and I’d reached agreement with Chelsea, the club where Ancelotti had just come in as manager.

Carlo was like a father and a teacher for me, a kind, friendly man who knew how to make things fun.

I’d spent the best years of my career with him. If you’re a player who wants to get on and give everything, you won’t find anyone better than him.

Carlo Ancelotti was my motivation for agreeing to head to London. But, in the meantime, Berlusconi had pulled out a second piece of paper.

This time there were loads of names with ticks next to them, and one that had been circled. 'Stay. We’ve signed Huntelaar'. Huntelaar…

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is an excellent player. He knows how to score goals, loads of goals and, at that point in time, he was playing for Real Madrid. But he’s not the type of guy who’s going to win the Ballon d’Or.

'We could have brought in other guys, people like Claudio Pizarro, but we chose him.' Huntelaar...

'Listen, Andrea, you just can’t do this, damn it. You’re the symbol of Milan, a standard bearer for this team, and we’ve already sold Kaká. You can’t jump ship as well. It’d be a terrible blow, to our image as much as anything. We can’t have everyone leaving.'

Ancelotti and I spoke a fair bit on the phone. He wanted to bring me to London at all costs, and cost was indeed the last hurdle still to be overcome. Insurmountable, as it transpired.

Milan wanted too much cash, and they were also pushing for Branislav Ivanovic to be included in the deal. Chelsea hadn’t the slightest intention of letting the defender go.

'Mr President, I really like all this talk of being a standard bearer. But my contract here is about to run out, and those guys are offering me four years.'

At five million euros a season. It wasn’t money that had convinced me, more the length of the deal. That’s always very important.

'Where’s the problem, Andrea? You can sort all that out with Galliani, can’t you? Take it as read.'

'You sure?'

'Absolutely positive.'

No sooner were the words out of his mouth than he shot out of the room to tell the media: 'Andrea Pirlo is not for sale. He’s staying with Milan and he’ll finish his career right here.'

As it turned out, I moved to Juventus. That’s Berlusconi all over, though. He’s theatrical and knows exactly what he wants. It’s what makes him such a fantastic president and lover of pure, beautiful football.

qindarka

Banned
It was a bit shitty of Milan forcing him to stay on to be honest. I reckon that happening didn't actually help improve his relations with the managerial side of the team.

Why shouldn't they force him to stay? He signed a contract with them willingly.

Pirlo also agreed a deal with Chelsea too in 2009.

I remember many not wanting him, thinking he was past it. Bit of a shame, then again, he may not have adapted to the PL as well.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
and now for my absolute favourite bit in the whole book

Milan's parting gift

the legendary pen

after a decade with the Rossoneri.

A pen. Beautiful, granted, but still just a pen. A Cartier: shiny, a little bit heavier than a biro and emblazoned with the Milan club crest. But still just a pen.

The ink cartridge was blue. Plain old blue. I looked at the pen, spun it round in my hand like an infant examining its first soft toy. I studied the thing from a few different angles, seeking out hidden depths and meanings. Trying to understand. Trying so hard that I felt a headache coming on and a few drops of sweat slide down my face.

Finally, the flash of inspiration arrived. Mystery solved: it was, indeed, just a pen. No added extras. Its inventor had left it at that. Deliberately? Who knows.

Suddenly I heard a voice. “For goodness’ sake, don’t use it to sign for Juventus.”

Adriano Galliani had at least managed to come up with a decent line. As a leaving present, I’d have expected something a little more than his perfect comic timing
. Ten years at Milan, finished, just like that. Still, I raised a smile, because I know how to laugh, loud and long.

As the club vice president and chief executive spoke, sat safely behind his desk, I had a look around. I knew his office like the back of my hand. It was a vault in the heart of Milan’s old administrative base on the Via Turati. I had happy memories of that room: other contracts, other pens. And yet I’d never noticed some of the photos on the walls, or had only done so distractedly. Those photos had a weighty history, but the prestige was subtly understated.

There was every type of photo on display. Memories of glory days and once-in-a-lifetime occasions. Trophies lifted into the air; clouds always being pushed just that little bit out of shot. My picture was being taken down from the frame, but not by force. Getting bored of Milan was a risk I didn’t want to run. That’s why at that last meeting I was sorry, but just the right amount. Galliani and Tullio Tinti, my agent, both felt the same way.

We said our goodbyes without regret. In the space of half an hour (probably not even that), I was out of there. When you’re in love, it’s time you need. When the feeling’s gone, having an excuse can help.

“Andrea, our coach Massimiliano Allegri reckons that if you stay, you won’t be able to play in front of the defence. He’s got a different role in mind for you. Still in midfield, but on the left.”

One small detail: I still thought I could give of my best playing in front of the defence. If the sea’s deep, a fish can breathe. If you put him just under the surface, he’ll get by, but it’s not quite the same thing.

“Even with you sitting on the bench or in the stand we’ve won the league. And you know, Andrea, the strategy’s changed this year. If you’re over 30, we’re only offering a year’s extension.”

Another small detail: I’ve never felt old, not even at that very moment. Only indirectly did I get the impression that people were trying to make out I was finished. Even now, I struggle to get my head round their reasoning.

“Thanks, but I really can’t accept. There’s a three-year deal on the table at Juventus.”

pappe

Klopp or Van Gaal I dont give a fuck who we get. Both of them are a huge upgrade on Moyes and both of them are maniacs and with a job as stressful as managing a team as huge as United you need a maniac.

Moyes is a nice guy i feel sorry for him sometimes but then I remember his stupid tactics and I stop feeling sorry. He is just not cut out to be a manager of a top team and we are stuck with him and i think for at least another year.

Pirlos book proves how even the most loyal of players get affected the glamour and glitz of playing for the big clubs and how ruthless some teams are when dealing with them. There is no scope for loyalty in this game.

Salvadora

Don't want to incur the wrath of Juve GAF, but Conte is out of contract in summer 2015 iirc.

Would possibly fit as Moyes is certainly not going anywhere at the moment.

pappe

Don't want to incur the wrath of Juve GAF, but Conte is out of contract in summer 2015 iirc.

Conte is not leaving Juventus until he wins or atleast does really well in the UCL.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

I'd love to see him with United, he deserves a club with a proper warchest. We're skint as fuck.

and at least he'll be happy and appreciated in England :(

Conte is not leaving Juventus until he wins or atleast does really well in the UCL.

according to Lippi, he's not going to leave until he wins the CL with Juve. Which is never going to happen innit :lol

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yeeaaaah, Conte's English is pretty bad :lol

he knows how to swear though! "ROONEH, SHIT FUCK"

"PRESS PRESS PRESS. YES NANI YES. NOW WIN WIN"
Pirlos book proves how even the most loyal of players get affected the glamour and glitz of playing for the big clubs and how ruthless some teams are when dealing with them. There is no scope for loyalty in this game.

but he did stay after all, and not for the money!

Salazar

Can Conte even speak English.

Give him a whiteboard, a permanent marker, an eraser (for you know who, in the plural), an unlimited tailoring budget, a fuckton to splash on transfers, a 16G iPad (we're not fucking made of money), and his pick of the 2015 Chevrolet range.

We're golden.

Moyes is on his way though, believe it.

Aye. Everton will run through us.

Jack cw

a 3-5-2 is more attacking than your tiki-taka, by the way.

it's essentially a 3-3-4, if not 3-1-6 with Vidal and Pogba pushing forward.

Yurt pls, dont be so insecure. We have 2 finals now, time for experiments is over!
Dont know, but Juve would be incredible with 2 real full backs.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I've seen Juve this season.
No you haven't.

Blame the players then and not the system. Because on PAPER, it's more attacking than passing it sideways ad nauseam.

We average more shots on goal than Bayern (still the most in Europe?) but we score less.
Yurt pls, dont be so insecure

I'm not insecure, you were just doing your usual Bayern condescending routine. Don't complain when someone bites back :p

Elchele

No you haven't.

Blame the players then and not the system. Because on PAPER, it's more attacking than passing it sideways ad nauseam.

I would blame Conte, to be honest. He has tons of talent in the squad and yet he plays it safe in around 90% of the matches I've watched this season.

a 3-5-2 is more attacking than your tiki-taka, by the way.

it's essentially a 3-3-4, if not 3-1-6 with Vidal and Pogba pushing forward.

rolledeyesi6y3q.gif

Against any side that's not a mid-lower table Serie A club is turns into a 5-3-2. You let us dominate possession and out-shoot you and we are a shitty midtable squad and were in horrible form at the time.

I'm not trying to troll, you guys will simply never succeed in Europe until you start using a formation that is from this decade.

Jack cw

I'm not insecure, you were just doing your usual Bayern condescending routine. Don't complain when someone bites back :p

I always complain, even when nobody is biting back :p
I didnt mean to be dismissive just couldnt imagine playing with 3 CBs could let a team win the CL. There is no better tactic than to have full backs overrun the wingers to make deadly crosses.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
rolledeyesi6y3q.gif

Against any side that's not a mid-lower table Serie A club is turns into a 5-3-2.

so it was a 3-3-4 against Milan then? :lol :lol

and no, not really :)

we did play on the counter against Roma though, and it worked once. I think Conte is trying something new, but it's not working. :p

I'm not trying to troll, you guys will simply never succeed in Europe until you start using a formation that is from this decade.
we all hate seeing it in Europe. He did switch to a 4-3-3 against Madrid but it was too late and the group was already lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom