• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

IMO, Mignolet has saves us significantly more points than he's lost us.

He's still young is goalkeeping terms, and he's obviously trying to do more about coming off his line and commanding his area. The downside is that he's going to be making mistakes whilst he learns how to do that.

I think it's far too early to write him off.

Lakitu

st5fu
https://vine.co/v/M1EAuBzMiuV

That's the kind of shit the FA just need to ban. Just slap the cunt with a 3 match ban. It will soon stamp it out.

Jesus he's a dick.

Not like your own players don't do it? Players get lambasted for not going down when they're touched and players get criticised for making a meal of it. Which is it? Did you actually see the challenge? It was dangerous, regardless of how Suarez acted.

I want Wenger out too, we need another approach. I do appreciate everything he's done for us. Winning the FA cup would be a great way to bow out.

462044447.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Quickly before he goes to Spurs.

Attacking midfielder
Another engine midfielder
Fullback x2

I would be happy with that.

Would like a keeper who is both better than Jones, and capable of challenging Mignolet as well tbh. Not sure if an affordable one exists though, as they'd have to accept being on the bench

Mastadon

Banned
I'd give Mignolet another season to be honest. He has issues, but he's improved in most aspects as the season has gone on. The TAW lads made the point after the City match that it was the most comfortable he's looked coming out for the ball. He's still very young and he's a class shot stopper.

Walshy

Go get Casillas.
That would be the ideal scenario, but I can't see us signing him due to his loyalty do Madrid. Would like to see us sign Diego Lopez, as I feel that one is a lot more realistic.

Always a mistake in him you feel

New right back is a bigger issue for CL football methinks.
I don't think he commands his area and that he doesn't know positionally when to come off his line.

I think right back and left back we need to splash £20m + on signing two quality fullbacks. Flanagan can cover both positions, Enrique can provide cover when he comes back and Johnson + Kelly can be let go. I would like us to go for one of Shaw/Rodriguez/Monero for the left-back position and for right-back would like to see Montoya or Clyne.

He's a great shot stoper but is very dodgy when he has to leave his goal/line.

For the amount he was gotten I don't think you can buy a better keeper.
I agree we couldn't do much better for the amount we paid for him. I would of preferred Begovic.

I'd keep Johnson but move him to the bench and bring someone better in. We'll need much more squad depth next year with the CL. Our bench has been crap all season.
Johnson's wages are too drastic for his age and performances. Flanagan can always cover the right-back position as well as Wisdom or McLaughlin.

I'm increasingly getting that feeling with every passing weak.

but then he pulls off a brilliant save

ter Stegen own goals incoming
Absolutely.

If we want to pass it around defense, we want a keeper comfortable doing it, and decent at kicking it long as a last resort.

If we want to play 3 in the middle/no typical wingers with exposed fullbacks, that will invite crosses so we want a keeper comfortable leaving his line and taking command of the box.

Ideally, I imagine we want to play a high line, in which case we'd want a keeper quick off his line, who is happy to start on the penalty spot rather than the 6-yard line.

Mignolet is pretty terrible at all of those things imo. He's good, but not exactly ideal. All of those things are what Reina used to be fucking brilliant at :(
I think he's going to pull off another mistake at Chelsea. I do not feel comfortable when he plays the ball out or through set-pieces/crosses into the box.

He doesn't command the defence well enough, not vocal at all.

I appreciate Mignolet and the effort he's put in this season, which, for the record, is far and beyond what Reina would've done had he stayed. However. However. He isn't world class and if Barca's transfer embargo holds we should really be going for Ter Stegen.
ter-Stagen is nailed on for Barcelona. I'd rather have Valdes over Mignolet, shame he got injured.

L1NETT

Hull gonna miss Shane Long and Jelavic in the FA cup final innit

Long is a tough little shit.

What a ball from Huddlestone

bud

That would be the ideal scenario, but I can't see us signing him due to his loyalty do Madrid. Would like to see us sign Diego Lopez, as I feel that one is a lot more realistic.

casillas is a line keeper just like mignolet. doesn't look comfortable when coming out of the goal either.

jtb

Banned
And bring in who?

Don't say Klopp or Martinez because I might pass out from laughter.

I've been pushing the LVG bandwagon before he was even mentioned for the Spurs job. he built the foundation for Bayern's current success and I'm pretty sure he'd be able to fix this huge attitude/mentality problem that we have, if only by whipping them into shape and telling Jack to quit the coke and get his shit together.

To give credit where it's due, Moses was pretty good today when he came on.

Yep. Just needed someone to run forward with the ball without losing it, get some solid possession away from our own goal, and as a bonus contribute to some attacking play, without risking losing the ball. Moses did that pretty much perfectly

Walshy

casillas is a line keeper just like mignolet. doesn't look comfortable when coming out of the goal either.
But coming off his line is not just Mignolet's only problem.

He doesn't organise the defence as well as he should imo.

I've been pushing the LVG bandwagon before he was even mentioned for the Spurs job. he built the foundation for Bayern's current success and I'm pretty sure he'd be able to fix this huge attitude/mentality problem that we have, if only by whipping them into shape and telling Jack to quit the coke and get his shit together.

and hopefully he will bring Dennis with him to groom.

jtb

Banned
But coming off his line is not just Mignolet's problem.

He doesn't organise the defence as well as he should imo.

Casillas has been playing behind terrible Madrid defenses for the better part of the last decade. I like Casillas but I think the whispers of him being overrated probably have some merit.

I'm pretty shocked he hasn't even regained his place in the Madrid team. for the captain of the team and a guy who's basically an institution at Madrid (and, by all accounts, got Mourinho fired?)... that's got to be pretty worrying, no matter how good Lopez is. I'd take Casillas too but I do wonder what's going on with him.

Arnie

Arsenal should go for De Boer.

I really wanted him at Liverpool befor we got Rodgers. He's too much of a prospect to go to Spurs but Arsenal could get him.

LFC may need a new keeper or at least get fix the gaps in Mignolet, But we do need GJ out and a new RB and tbh a new left back, Enrique can be dodgy as can Cissohko.

Hixx

Great goal. So fast, first time they've played it round quickly and they score.

And thank fuck, because this game has been awful.

bud

Not a bad shout, would love to see Bergkamp come back along with him.

de boer has put together one of the most boring ajax sides in history. the only reason he hasn't been caught out is because the rest of the league keeps fucking up. if de boer is an option--which he isn't--then i'd rather keep wenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom