• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Is there a better right back currently in world football than Seamus Coleman?

Lahm doesn't count, he's played mostly as a a midfielder lately.

tumblr_mrmraff5wp1qevds0o1_400.gif

ibumuGExjeUas6.gif

the best in Europe, stats-wise.

Granted, but it's becoming a cop out.

That team today got beat, and has been getting beat all season, because there are too many players in it who are stinking the place out with their mediocrity.

How many players would you swap with United if you were an Everton fan today? 2? 3?

Ferguson's freakish ability to win trophies exempt, expecting anything more than 7th place from Buttner, Smalling, Jones, Fletcher, Young and Valencia is a waste of time.

Just not good enough.

Nobody is saying we should be winning the title though, or very few people are anyway.

The point is the team looks like it doesn't give a fuck. That means it doesn't matter who's out there, if the players don't care, they aren't going to do the business.

Now the players take responsibility for that, they have to and many of them have been a disgrace. But if the manager can't change it...that's a pretty big problem and that's on him.

If Moyes stays, he will be shit. Otherwise, he'll score at least 20 goals.
Might still get to 20 this year. 17 right now.

Nicktendo86

I'm just not shocked or surprised anymore. Turn my tablet on to check scores and just laughed when I saw 2-0. If storage hunters wasn't on dave right now I would be depressed.

doicare

How much of your first team was missing when we beat your ass @ old trafford?
5I5s8.png
Who's we??? Don't know what team you support, but i'll guarantee whatever team it was United had more players out injured compared to their opposition that day, it's been the story of the season.

Mastadon

Banned
I promised you a killer stat, and here it is: This is the first time in the entire history of the beautiful game that Liverpool and Everton have completed the double over Manchester United in the same season. 4-0 to Merseyside.

Granted, but it's becoming a cop out.

That team today got beat, and has been getting beat all season, because there are too many players in it who are stinking the place out with their mediocrity.

How many players would you swap with United if you were an Everton fan today? 2? 3?

Ferguson's freakish ability to win trophies exempt, expecting anything more than 7th place from Buttner, Smalling, Jones, Fletcher, Young and Valencia is a waste of time.

Just not good enough.

Nah, I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding what a good manager does with his players. He gets the best out of them no matter what their ability level is.

Everton's players look better because they're motivated, organised and well trained.

Kabouter

This Dutch Cup final... greatest in years. Sure, it's terrible football, Jupiler League level at best, but holy crap is it hilarious. I can't believe how bad Ajax is playing.

Salvadora

Nah, I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding what a good manager does with his players. He gets the best out of them no matter what their ability level is.

Everton's players look better because they're motivated, organised and well trained.
Moyes had Everton looking motivated, organised and well trained when he was there.

Give him enough time at United and he will do the same.

Kabouter

Man, denswil and moisander must be on valium

Denswil's loss of possession just near the end of the first half, holy shit. This is actually happening in the Dutch cup final. I was expecting Ajax to crush PEC after the first goal too (and tbh, before the match as well). Glad PEC is ahead though, go go underdogs.

Marc

They have thrown Fireworks on the field, after which Ajax scored the 1-0. During the celebration they threw fireworks for the second time after which the Ref stopped the game for 15 minutes or so. But now PEC turned the game around and are leading with 4-1 haha

PbweUL.gif

It's the cup final BTW

Holy shit, good that no one got hit at least. Remember that Inter player getting hit?

And 4-1? What idiots.

Wes

venison crêpe
Lerner has released a statement about.... nothing:

“Following the point yesterday at Villa Park, there have been stories about my selling the Club. On a personal level, I had hoped the emphasis would have been on the amazing effort on the part of our manager and our players to regroup throughout a very difficult week.

Injuries to Libor [Kozak] and Christian [Benteke], compounded with the early loss of Jores [Okore] and the difficult rehab of Charles have no doubt left Paul [Lambert] with far less to work with than is fair. Still, Paul Lambert has done nothing but work within the parameters I’ve set, put the Club first and continue to trust his players.

As regards my personal role at the Club and the steady rumors of a sale, I will address these after the season. Paul Lambert, Paul Faulkner and I speak daily and remain committed to the immediate job of limiting distraction and confusion in order that Villa have the best chance possible of finishing on a strong note.”

No you're right, players being out injured don't matter at all. Oh by the way how has the Barca defence been doing with Pique, Puyol and Valdes all out injured? Bet it hasn't cost Barca any points at all.....

Your team is still dysfunctional and stupidly composed, your manager sucks and all the while you hug the nuts of old & fat stars.

If Klopp can field a CM out of a 22yo noob who played for Partizan Belgrade 3 months ago, who hasn't completed a full 90m for us before that and a 31yo dude who came from a relegated team and played maybe 3-4 90m games for us the past 2 years and whose name some fans never even fucking heard before AND still get a results against Madrid, dominating them, having them on the brink of being kicked out of CL then you know something is wrong with your teams besides injuries.

/fuck yeah, Stuttgart

I really feel like Martinez took the piss there.

Like he let us control the game the way Moyes would do...but then showed how you play on the counter.

Everton definitely could have dominated that game today.

Kosma

Banned
Denswil's loss of possession just near the end of the first half, holy shit. This is actually happening in the Dutch cup final. I was expecting Ajax to crush PEC after the first goal too (and tbh, before the match as well). Glad PEC is ahead though, go go underdogs.

They lost it completely. All the players look dazed.

If Bojan had managed to score with that cracker it might have been a game again.

Unless they get vitamin injections i dont see them coming back

wedward

The problem with blaming it all on injuries is that usually someone is too blame for the injuries.

Sure, sometimes unlucky injuries happen. Theo destroying his knee and Jack chipping his weak coke bones would fall under luck i think. Ramsey and Ozil though were mismanagement.

I am sure there are examples of that at United.

Fergie

Banned
Well, hopefully we'll see some U21 in the remaining matches.

I don't want Europea, rather spend next season rebuilding and improving general team training, with or without Moyes.

Messi

No you're right, players being out injured don't matter at all. Oh by the way how has the Barca defence been doing with Pique, Puyol and Valdes all out injured? Bet it hasn't cost Barca any points at all.....

I don't make excuses. I trust all our defenders to do a job. I don't believe they have cost us points. The whole team has played badly in recent weeks.

doicare

Your team is still dysfunctional and stupidly composed, your manager sucks and all the while you hug the nuts of old & fat stars.

If Klopp can field a CM out of a 22yo noob who played for Partizan Belgrade 3 months ago, who hasn't completed a full 90m for us before that and a 31yo dude who came from a relegated team and played maybe 3-4 90m games for us the past 2 years and whose name some fans never even fucking heard before AND still get a results against Madrid, dominating them, having them on the brink of being kicked out of CL then you know something is wrong with your teams besides injuries.

/fuck yeah, Stuttgart
I never said injuries were the only thing that have been wrong with Manchester United this season but they've played a significant part. The sheer denial that injuries don't matter on this forum due to the pure bile, hatred and jealousy that so many people have against Manchester United due to how successful they've been over the years is equally pathetic as it is astounding.

Bumhead

Banned

Trust me, I know more about shit managers, teams and players that don't try and managers getting the best out of shit teams than a Manchester United fan can learn, know and then forget again.

I'm not misunderstanding anything. Infact if you check my post history I'm pretty sure I commented on here months back that to me United looked like a team not playing for the manager. I KNOW that's a factor. And it's also something teams don't come back from.

But it's also not an accident, and it's also not a sole cause of where Manchester United are. They're not good enough. A lot of people looked at them last year and said they weren't good enough, but Fergie got the job done and quite frankly dragged that team to the title. Individually, you can look at any other team in the top 8 and pick out multiple areas where United are weaker than their competitors. And that's not about competing for the title, that's about competing with almost half the division.

It's an absolutely appalling state of affairs for a team like United and they're a long, long way (or a huge chunk of cash) away from competing for Champions League football next season, not just the title.

"Not trying" and "manager should be getting most out of them" are factors, but they're not the only ones. Moyes has done a shit job, I'm absolutely not defending Moyes here. He's done a shit job with a shit bunch of players in difficult circumstances. It's a horror show all round. Moyes should and will take some criticism for that. As should the players. And as should any fan who realistically, in the cold facts of day, expect that team as it lined up today to compete with Everton or the teams around and above them in the league. Long way off.

Eanan

Apparently the grim reaper behind Moyes was a Paddy Power stunt... jasus that bookies never cease to amaze me...

WJD

I don't make excuses. I trust all our defenders to do a job. I don't believe they have cost us points. The whole team has played badly in recent weeks.

Messi you are the worst for this. Stop.

edit: With "this" being encouraging him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom