• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Why can't I hide/block people on mobile?

giphy.gif

Arnie

Fucking hell, just watching Rodgers' post-game interview on the BBC and a really good point was raised:

It goes to show how good this team is that we've just qualified for the group stages automatically with three games remaining and it's barely a point of celebration.

Marc

At no point have I defended Moyes.

He's done a shit job. Fellaini especially is going straight into the upper echelons of famously shit United signings.

But he's not entirely at fault.

As always the truth is somewhere in the middle of the various extremes that surround stuff like this. Those who blame Moyes and only Moyes at the expense of all other factors are making themselves look stupid.

He is in charge, everything trails back to him at some point. That is the nature of the job, you get the credit when things go well too.

Look at all the problems and tell me that the manager couldn't have done something to correct them.

Even the best makes mistakes, just a matter of limiting them to as few as possible. And no one was expecting him to win the title, just compete and at least finish top 4. He has failed every single possible target that could be set surely, apart from don't get relegated.

The players have given up certainly but he can motivate them and get them working as a team, rewarding one player so massively and upsetting the entire team to do it because he threw his toys out of the pram was a mistake. One that Fergie made as well to be fair, things like that undermine a team.

Fucking hell, just watching Rodgers' post-game interview on the BBC and a really good point was raised:

It goes to show how good this team is that we've just qualified for the group stages automatically with three games remaining and it's barely a point of celebration.

im actually happy for you arnie

i dont think i will be when "stevie" lifts it so just telling you now

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

are you saying there won't be any selfies on twitter? Is that why you're saying?

Elchele

Barcelona vs Athletic is today? FUCK YES

edit. Also, great win by Stuttgart, hope they can stay away from relegation spots now.

WJD

Gonna agree with this.

Congrats to all Liverpool fans. Don't get used to it or anything, and come the day that Gerrard lifts the trophy I'll be bitter as fuck so ignore me then. From a purely objective view, it's kind of nice to see a team not fueled by oil do well. And stuff.

Kinell this is difficult.

Slizz

Liverpool winning the title is just like FSU winning the National Title. Extremely dislike em, but respect the game and they way they did it.

kmax

I hate how a bunch of players not giving a fuck for a game can ruin my entire day if not my entire week.

They get to be rich, they have nothing to play for and have a coach that can't for the life of him tactically manage nor inspire his team.

I feel for the United fans.

Arnie

Gonna agree with this.

Congrats to all Liverpool fans. Don't get used to it or anything, and come the day that Gerrard lifts the trophy I'll be bitter as fuck so ignore me then. From a purely objective view, it's kind of nice to see a team not fueled by oil do well. And stuff.

Kinell this is difficult.

Liverpool winning the title is just like FSU winning the National Title. Extremely dislike em, but respect the game and they way they did it.
Well isn't this lovely.

tumblr_n4bzx7ugnP1tycnn5o1_500.jpg

fucking hell it's not over yet

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
a bit late but congrats to Roma for clinching UCL qualification :) they'll do well in Europe next season, they're a legit team and Garcia is a fabulous classy coach.

fucking hell it's not over yet
be wary Arnold, that's classic Fergie mindgames!

Bumhead

Banned
I give you my reasoning you give me "Jesus. This is really hard work."

I applaud you for being unable to properly conversate and respect other people's opinions. Of course you are right and I am wrong!

It's hard to respond to someone who quotes something that says "Moyes has done a shit job" then replies with "How can you not directly blame Moyes?".

I don't know how much clearer I can make it. Moyes has done a shit job. Under Moyes, United have made the wrong moves in the transfer market, failed to plug gaps left by the previous manager, made a complete pigs ear of their first transfer window and overpaid for dross like Fellaini. They're playing badly, I believe he's lost the dressing room and I don't see how he's going to turn it around over the summer.

He's at fault for lots of things. If he loses his job, he'll have deserved it.

But I don't agree it's just down to Moyes. I think the Manchester United job is bigger, and requires more than one man in any position can do, to recover from this season and deal with a post-Ferguson era. Football clubs aren't operated by just the manager. Didn't United also lose Ferguson's main man upstairs and their CEO in the summer?

Moyes has done a terrible job. But I staunchly believe it's not all down to him and not all his fault. To me that's a cop out and it gives too many other people and too many other factors a free pass. I believe there are people still working at Manchester United who are pretty happy for David Moyes to take the media and supporter slaughter circus, safe in the knowledge it glosses over their own failings post-Fergie. That includes the players, it includes the people upstairs, it includes the back room staff. It sure as shit includes Ferguson.

Moyes has failed this season. I'm simply saying there are others at Manchester United who have directly or indirectly contributed to that and are being allowed an easy ride and a free pass while Moyes kneels at the chopping block.

GQman2121

Banned
Trying to picture a way LFC don't win the league and I'm just not seeing it. We've sure made a mess out of what looked like a promising league campaign a few weeks ago. Villa was our downfall.

D_prOdigy

I don't know how to get all angrily analytical about Moyes or United in the immediate aftermath of these sorts of games.

I just feel low :(

Arnie

be wary Arnold, that's classic Fergie mindgames!
True though, innit.
Trying to picture a way LFC don't win the league and I'm just not seeing it. We've sure made a mess out of what looked like a promising league campaign a few weeks ago. Villa was our downfall.
If we lost to you and dropped points against Palace it could be devastating.

Both results are plausible.

Put the champagne away just yet.

Tc91

You beat them and City go top on goal difference. Do it for football Jose.

Linius

I wouldnt say ever

But its really depressing

I think only the WC 2010 finale can top this for me. Take note that I'm from '91 so I never experienced losing a CL finale as a passionate supporter of football.

The fact that we're humiliated by a small club in a cup finale is something I won't be able to cope with for a while. And then to think about the fact that there's a good chance we're supposed to be happy and partying next week. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

ATF487

If we lost to you and dropped points against Palace it could be devastating.

Both results are plausible.

Put the champagne away just yet.

Yep.

I do feel a bit better about the Chelsea game knowing that Mourinho can't go to Anfield looking slug out a 0-0 draw

jtb

Banned
I did not anticipate Moyes failing to qualify for the CL at the beginning of the season. I know it's been something of a forgone conclusion for the past few months, but it's still pretty disconcerting now that it's a reality.

We drop points in our next 2 games, City win every game but 1. Boom, City champions.

If we can beat yous lot next week, City have to win every game pretty much as I very much doubt we'll drop points at home to Newcastle. They're still well in it, as are you if you beat us next week.

Need to come out as we did against City and Norwich, and sustain it. Definitely need to play it smarter than we did today

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Blr63mAIEAA2YVi.jpg

Prove me wrong, prove that Manchester are 'just shit' and injuries and bad luck haven't had a significant part to do with it.
your tactics are shit.

your transfer window was shit

your manager is shit

your players attitude on the pitch is shit

your squad, fully fit, is shit.

that's a whole lotta shit to me! BETTER READY THE SHOVEL COME SUMMER BABY

shit%2Bshovel.jpg

Linius

Also have to say I feel sad for Frank above anything else. He had a chance to write history by winning those three cups in one season and it would be his first cup win as a manager. Some things will need to change now, we can't keep fucking up against teams who pressure us.

Also congrats to Benfica Gaf. You guys deserve this after last season, enjoy the party!

Splatt

I did not anticipate Moyes failing to qualify for the CL at the beginning of the season. I know it's been something of a forgone conclusion for the past few months, but it's still pretty disconcerting now that it's a reality.

I don't want to sound like a smartass, but I was always convinced that the current Utd squad is mediocre/average(I mean, just look at their midfield and 1st choice wingers) and that only Fergie's magnificence carried them to title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom