• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Club's told papers to run the story on the dot at 2:15pm. Embargoed. Given each paper enough time to write it all up exactly how they want it, including managers linked (they're from the club, too).

Be surprised if Moyes sees out the day, let alone the week.

And United are going in hard for Klopp by the sounds of it.

Juicy

Randdalf

Interesting Sky have not gone Breaking News crazy yet. Thought they'd have Jim White having a stroke and Hayley McQueen stripping as they made everything on the screen yellow by now,

It's soccer saturday, and I suspect they weren't given access to the information like the big newspapers were so need some time to prepare.

Meier

Can see him ending up as Scotland national manager for a spell, maybe managing Celtic or Rangers for a time. Probably won't want the step down in England and I doubt any high profile side in Europe will be ringing him up.

I was thinking the Scottish national team coach as well a week or two ago but it turns out their current guy is pretty new to the job and has had them rise up to their best ranking in ages. Can't see him getting replaced unless he decides to leave.

Arnie

Giggs won't be long term unless all the other managers they're after don't want the job.

Giggs is the most Moyes-like appointment of the lot, something the club will not want to repeat.

My hunch based on what's been written is they go hard for Klopp, then if that fails they move onto LVG/Simeone. If Spurs want LVG then it appears their best bet is to make him as aware as he can be that he's their number one, and that United are using him as a contingency. Whether LVG gives a shit about that is anyone's guess.

DortmundGAF, what's the honest situation with Klopp. Put your Dortmund caps to one side.

L1NETT

Unconfirmed reports of children singing and bells ringing in the Manchester area.

--

Collymore thinks he'll be gone by today. Take that for whatever ye will

Walshy

But with Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp earning admirers at Old Trafford after building a young, vibrant and successful team in Germany, the 46-year-old is expected to be favoured ahead of the likes of Louis van Gaal, Diego Simeone and Ryan Giggs, whose lack of experience is likely to count against his prospects of securing the manager’s job.
Van Gaal could still go to Spurs, Simone and Klopp could stay or turn down United.

That leaves Giggs.

Believe.

Yen

Oh, could you imagine it: Giggs takes charge and fails (considering he has no experience) and the fans begin to hate him.

sohois

Even if Klopp and Simeone shut down United, they can easily grab an international manager after the World Cup instead of giving it to Giggs. Distinguished managers Van Gaal, Capello, Low and Hodgson will all be waiting for the United call come summer.

I think the Giggs thing is just crossed wires like kmax suggests.

Meier said:
I was thinking the Scottish national team coach as well a week or two ago but it turns out their current guy is pretty new to the job and has had them rise up to their best ranking in ages. Can't see him getting replaced unless he decides to leave.

Well, I doubt Moyes will be rushing back into management anywhere. He'll definitely wait a while for some of the embarrassment to die down before going back in, maybe in 3 or 4 years an international position will open up for his return.

Bumhead

Banned
Important thing for the Glazers is to say "thanks but no thanks" to any role Ferguson wants in the manager selection.

As much at fault as Moyes is for this season, he's Ferguson's man. Fergie's choice. He should have absolutely no part in choosing the new man.

Feorax

Sachin Nakrani ‏@SachinNakrani 1m
Wouldn't be surprised to hear Jose Mourinho saying nice things about Man Utd in the coming days.

Oh could you just imagine...

I'm sure he would appreciate having the advantage of no European football.

Zabojnik

Oh, could you imagine it: Giggs takes charge and fails (considering he has no experience) and the fans begin to hate him.

ciro-ferrara.jpg

Nobody hates Ciro Ferrara though. He's a fucking club legend.

Wow Moyes being sacked? Can't say it was unexpected...but still it's a sad story. Everyone knows this was Moyes's dream job, but he couldn't handle a big club like United are.

Don't think he'll be going back into management any time soon.

Salazar

Please don't believe Henry Winter

Throw a shoe at the wall and try to deduce things from the imprint it makes before you credit that whiffer.

Mastadon

Banned
LVG would be perfect for Man Utd at the moment. I don't think anyone else is as adept at transitioning a club in to a new era, and laying the foundation for future success. Even if it's only for a year or two.

Simeone has done great things at Atleti, but he's still unproven over a significant period of time. Depends how much of a risk the Glazers want to take.

Arnie

wilbur must be freaking happy right now

He sent me a Snapchat of himself dancing in the Nandos loos.

He was making those weird satisfaction noises that he does.

Not surprised, like. Were it me I'd be going in hard on the refillable drinks machine.

Clegg

Won't be starting list wars but just for the day that's in it, I think United's priorities would look something like this:

Klopp
Van Gaal/Simeone
Giggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom