• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Moyes is a pragmatist. At bigger clubs you need to be able to be more expansive, more original, more tactically flexible. Moyes has none of these qualities.

Fergie did this.

Salvadora

On a human level it's hard not to feel bad for Moyes. Left a steady job where he was respected by his players, fans and board of management for a much bigger one where it soon became obvious that he was totally out of his depth. Now the reputation he built up over the last 10 years is in tatters.
But on the other hand, he's getting £12m compensation and undoubtedly will land in a job more of his level in the future.

Nothing is impossible in football, but why would Klopp go to Utd? His wage is probably on par with Moyes' if not higher considering he's got a good billion of ad contracts here in Germany (from electric shavers & glue to cars and insurance). His image / personality is that of a loyal, down-to-earth guy next door you'd like to hang out and drink a beer with. He'd lose all that. Leaving out of the blue after having just extended his contract would completely ruin his reputation in the German public eye.

Also his near-mental-breakdowns would not sit well with the British public & FA and the shit press would tear him apart & Hitler-ify him.

Here he can completely shape the club the way he wants, he can make Dortmund his legacy just like Fergie made Utd. his. Why would he want to always be compared to Fergie and deal with fat, old balding stars?
Currently he's basically guaranteed to come in 1st-3rd in Germany - thus to compete in CL and has a legitimate shot at winning titles. He'd have nothing for granted at Utd. Even the big pile of money he might be given pales in comparison to the oil clubs and there are even more legit contenders in Liverpool & Arsenal and then some.

Apart from that he could walk in and out of jobs at almost any given club, why choose Utd. at this given time? When he decides to leave in 2016 or 2018 Utd. will probably still be in disarray & chaos. A second Fergie is hard to come by.

On a human level it's hard not to feel bad for Moyes. Left a steady job where he was respected by his players, fans and board of management for a much bigger one where it soon became obvious that he was totally out of his depth. Now the reputation he built up over the last 10 years is in tatters.

He´s gonna rebuild it pretty soon. Maybe not for a Top 4 club job, but something like Everton when he was there. If Mark Hughes could get a PL job after the horrible QPR fiasco, then Moyes shouldn't have to worry.

noal

Banned
He has to go; it's too much for him although I do feel sorry for him. This was his big chance and I don't think he will get another for a long time.

It's also sad that a big team has gone for a promising British manager and it's gone tits up. Maybe this will put clubs off and they will go to foreign managers even more than they do now.

With an exception for Liverpool.

Jarnet87

I can understand how happy the United fans must be. Like I was at Klinsmann's exit.

But I do feel for Moyes. Whoever followed Sir Alex had like a 90% chance of failure and 100% of being a let-down in comparison. At least Moyes had the balls to take the job.

Mourinho was the only manager in the world who could have embraced the challenge of replacing Fergie. he says he picked Chelsea, but we all know Ferguson screwed him out of the job and chose Moyes.

Arnie

Nothing is impossible in football, but why would Klopp go to Utd? His wage is probably on par with Moyes' if not higher considering he's got a good billion of ad contracts here in Germany (from electric shavers & glue to cars and insurance). His image / personality is that of a loyal, down-to-earth guy next door you'd like to hang out and drink a beer with. He'd lose all that. Leaving out of the blue after having just extended his contract would completely ruin his reputation in German public eye.

Also his near-mental-breakdowns would not sit well with the British public & FA and the shit press would tear him apart & Hitler-ify him.

Here he can completely shape the club the way he wants, he can make Dortmund his legacy just like Fergie made Utd. his. Why would he want to always be compared to Fergie and deal with fat, old balding stars?
Currently he's basically guaranteed to come in 1st-3rd in Germany - thus to compete in CL and has a legitimate shot at winning titles. He'd have nothing for granted at Utd. Even the big pile of money he might be given pales in comparison to the oil clubs and there are even more legit contenders in Liverpool & Arsenal and then some.

Apart from that he could walk in and out of jobs at almost any given club, why chose Utd. at this given time? When he decides to leave in 2016 or 2018 Utd. will probably still be in disarray & chaos. A second Fergie is hard to come by.

You've convinced me.

Which is good. Seeing Klopp at United would've been devastating.

I hope they go for LVG because he's a nutter and I think he'll just tear the rift open further.

justjohn

Yesss united, Save us from this anfield nightmare.

Btw only two managers can really move them forward: klopp and simeone. Do everything you can to get them.

King_Moc

Banned
Urgh, Northampton have the chance to move out of the relegation zone for the first time since September and it looks like they could fail to win twice in a row. I suppose that's what happens when you don't bother having any strikers.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Can't change the fact we have some useless shite in our team, good news is a new manager might not care about Rodney's rep

kmax

Nothing is impossible in football, but why would Klopp go to Utd? His wage is probably on par with Moyes' if not higher considering he's got a good billion of ad contracts here in Germany (from electric shavers & glue to cars and insurance). His image / personality is that of a loyal, down-to-earth guy next door you'd like to hang out and drink a beer with. He'd lose all that. Leaving out of the blue after having just extended his contract would completely ruin his reputation in German public eye.

Apart from that he could walk in and out of jobs at almost any given club, why chose Utd. at this given time? When he decides to leave in 2016 or 2018 Utd. will probably still be in disarray & chaos. A second Fergie is hard to come by.

I honestly don't think neither he or Simeone will leave their respective clubs for the forseeable future. We all saw what happened to AVB after a successful tenure at Porto. I do believe however that Man U need to find their own Brendan Rodgers, Jurgen Klopp, Diego Simeone, Pep Guardiola or what have you. Someone who understands Mancheser United, who can see what the team needs and who can completely change the team and make an instant impact. The question is who that person is going to be.

Bumhead

Banned
Dave Jones

dave-jones_1015597e.jpg

Timbuktu

He'll still be maybe £12million richer, right?

SuperHans

Giggs is favourite on Paddy Power. I had completely forgot about Carlos Queiroz, wasn't he being groomed as the replacement for awhile.

83Zj9tj.png

This is going exactly as Fergie planned.

1) Create a team only he could manage
2) Hire a bulgy-eyed Scot as his replacement
3) ??? (BES leads team into disaster)
4) Fergie gets re-appointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom