• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

How about both Ramsey and Gerrard are very important players for their teams playing very different roles making them impossible to compare directly?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Along with Bayern Munich!
Sure why not! The harder the group, the further we'll in the CL!

Unless of course, we crash out again :lol
I wouldn't mind getting Juventus in the group stage, two big historical teams going at each other, like the old days.

It would bring up a lot of Heysel memories though, I'd like the club to apologise more for it if we were drawn together. It would help make things right.
Hey that would be cool. I thought the one in 2005 was brilliant anyway.

Most of our fans will applaud and appreciate gestures like this, but I'm not sure about our cunt ultras. They'll take any excuse to hate or jeer really.

Some information from SZ:
- Immobile most likely the main target, deemed affordable
- Atletico also in for a striker, similiar targets as BVB
- Lukaka and Morata still considered
- Kagawa return still wanted, but looking unlikely as Kagawa doesn't want to leave

Salvadora

I get it you like Ramsey, but nobody in their right mind puts his contribution over Gerrard this season. Unfortunately he's been injured for far too long. Which pretty much undermines any assessment anyway. But even if you could, the balance of evidence just isn't there. Which makes it seem like a shoe-horn to me.
At no point did I put his contribution over Gerrards, but merely pointed out the impressive defensive aspect of his game.

Bit silly putting that down to a me liking Ramsey thing.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mark van Bommel was a really fucking terrible midfielder, but you need him on the pitch because he's an utterly fantastic leader. He'll shout, kick and organise everyone around him.

FuturusX

I like this post. Team of the year and such are always dumb as fuck, so is your lists Wilbur.

Fuck that. The players must be ranked in some arbitrary set parameters. Now I will say at least with the PFA actual players make the call. I'd say having actually played against Gerrard and Ramsey probably qualifies over some yob on the internet.

At no point did I put his contribution over Gerrards, but merely pointed out the impressive defensive aspect of his game.

Bit silly putting that down to a me liking Ramsey thing.

Got it. Just to be clear I thought you were indicating that Ramsey deserves to be in the "In the team of the of year" over Gerrard. But hey let's just say neither of us know what the fuck we are talking about.

Elchele

- Kagawa return still wanted, but looking unlikely as Kagawa doesn't want to leave

You missed the Firmino/Maxim/Calhanoglu part m8

Jarnet87

Martinez will do what Fergie couldn't, turn Clev into a useful player. Even Moyes got some use out of Gibbo and made him look decent. Lets face it Fergie went bat shit insane with his midfield choices in his last couple years.

So this is how the Champions League groups would look if the leagues ended on the 20th of April (99% accurate):
0EMwhko.png

Some tasty possibilities there.
How the hell are we still in Pot 1

Not arsed about all that, really.

Get through the group. Priority number one. We'd have some boss ties afterwards.

West Brom would go to Zenit and complain about the pitch.

The pitch is only poor in the middle of Russian winter, aka knockout round CL football, something Liverpool won't have to concern themselves with. I still remember Rodgers' brilliant tactics in Europe: down by two in the away leg, desperately need an away goal---->sub on Lucas Leiva.

Scum

Mark van Bommel was a really fucking terrible midfielder, but you need him on the pitch because he's an utterly fantastic leader. He'll shout, kick and organise everyone around him.

Sometimes, they're the best kind of players to have in your squad. Just make sure it's not an important game, because of the inevitable red card, innit.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Immobile is the real deal, I'd love to see him develop with Kloppo. Forget about Morata and Lukaku.

Van Bommel was a really fucking terrible midfielder, but you need him on the pitch because he's an utterly fantastic leader. He'll shout, kick and organise everyone around him.

Then he wasn't really a terrible midfielder was he? I truly love that kind of player, Linderoth is one of my favorite players of all time. He couldn't finish, he wasn't a great passer, but he was damn good at kicking people down and scream his team mates straight into their face until they got the point he was making. The role he had was perfect, he ran around closing down everything and motivated everyone around him.

zDgrFQf.jpg

Look at that man. Pure madness. I should go back to that avatar some time.

Read your post again.

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm just saying the vitriol coming out against this Ramsey talk is that it's based on half a season of form. Perhaps we could all agree when he's had another solid dozen games under his belt. GUYS! I'm just making sure you don't get hurt if he turns into a Nani. <3

Hixx

You should all really shut up to be honest.

Lee Cattermole has been the best midfielder this season.

GOALS

DistantMasculineCony.gif

FLAIR

VagueScaredGoitered.gif

HARD AS FUCK

irA0AXdkAnlpl.gif

LEE LEE LEE CATTERMOLE CATTERMOOOOOOLE

Arnie

Do you even know what point you're trying to make? Without one of our best players we'd be 4th (after being first with said player) , no shit. And with one of yours you're first, no shit.

Right, Barzul, listen:

This is a team of the season. It's an amalgamation of all the players who've had the biggest impact this season. Is that correct? If we agree then let's proceed.

In reference to your dismissal of Gerrard's penalty proficiency this season I made the objective point to state that without Gerrard's penalties - scored under extreme pressure - we would not be challenging for the title now. Which we are. Which we're in pole position to win. Under this context he's had a huge impact on the Premier League this season, a potentially decisive one.

And this is ignoring the main reason why he's in there that a select bunch of Arsenal fans are dismissing (range of passing, defensive contribution, tactical flexibility at such an age etc).

On the other hand we've got Aaron Ramsey who's played less than two thirds of the season. Already it's incredibly difficult to make the case for him to be in the team of the season because he's not played in a good portion of it. And he hasn't driven his team on to achieve anything particularly great. If you're saying that's because he's been out injured then I'd probably agree, but then surely such a thing is demonstrable evidence for why someone shouldn't be judged to have been one of the standout players in an entire Premier League season.

Man.

Shinji's dad beat United into him real hard :lol

wedward

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm just saying the vitriol coming out against this Ramsey talk is that it's based on half a season of form. Perhaps we could all agree when he's had another solid dozen games under his belt. GUYS! I'm just making sure you don't get hurt if he turns into a Nani. <3

Fair enough, but I think people forget that he played 28 games before he got hurt. It's not like he was only good for a handful of games.

Not to mention he has only been back for 3 games and already looks like he is picking up right where he left off.

FuturusX

He had a good run of games. But unfortunately injury ruined his season. I'd go as far to say that, ignoring the fact that I think Arsenal should have signed a better striker, Arsenal would have challenged better for the league if Ramsey and Wallcott had stayed fit.

Ramsey is that good.

Salvadora

Fair enough, but I think people forget that he played 28 games before he got hurt. It's not like he was only good for a handful of games.

Not to mention he has only been back for 3 games and already looks like he is picking up right where he left off.
Unfortunate to see many in here with that impression.

Still, he had another brilliant game at the weekend.

Vintage Ramsey's back.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Then he wasn't really a terrible midfielder was he? I truly love that kind of player, Linderoth is one of my favorite players of all time. He couldn't finish, he wasn't a great passer, but he was damn good at kicking people down and scream his team mates straight into their face until they got the point he was making. The role he had was perfect, he ran around closing down everything and motivated everyone around him.

http://i.imgur.com/zDgrFQf.jpg[IMG]

Look at that man. Pure madness. I should go back to that avatar some time.[/QUOTE]
Technically lacking perhaps! But yeah

Gerrard is both. Forget about his goals and 10+ (!) assists, his [I]presence[/I] in their XI is invaluable.

Arnie

Ramsey didn't play enough to be in the team of the year.

If he did though, he would have walked into it.

I'm sold, lads class.

I agree completely.

He's top notch. But you can't get into a team of the season when you've missed a lot of it. Aguero was similarly impressive but he also missed too much to really be considered.

Nobody's questioning Ramsey's ability. But when we look back on this season in three years time nobody will remember Aaron Ramsey's overall contribution as much as Gerrard's and thus he's not worthy of selection.

Technically lacking perhaps! But yeah

Gerrard is both. Forget about his goals and 10+ (!) assists, his presence in their XI is invaluable.

Yeah he sure added a lot with his defensive presence, just look at how little they conceded.
NW7OYPJ.png

This dude really looks like a fatter version of Torres :lol

Kappa.gif

who is he.

It's Kappa. Just some random guy (I think) that twitch started using as an emoticon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom