• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Gerrard only switched to that new controlling role in January. He's played there for 12 games, the last one being Norwich away. He's played all of those 12 games. The very first was a 2-2 draw with Aston Villa; there were doubts he'd be able to adapt to such a new role so late in his career during a period of intense football.

Would you like me to tell you what happened during the 11 games after Aston Villa?

x1D1jTx.png

If he's doing such a great job in a 'controlling role', why do a lot of games for Liverpool turn into a shoot out? 3-2 thrice, 6-3, 4-3 etc. Your defence isn't the best which doesn't help, granted.

Clegg

Van Gaal would be a major improvement over Moyes and has an excellent pedigree, but he also has a track record of falling out with players and directors.

IIRC he also got a lot of stick for sticking rigidly to 4-2-3-1 even when it was obvious that Bayern had been figured out. Get him to sweep out the dead wood, stabilise the club back in top four territory and maybe establish some good young players.

I couldn't complain about appointing LVG especially after this Moyes debacle. But it's the sort of appointment that carries a few risks. But then again, so would appointing Simeone, my preferred choice if we can't get Klopp.

Elchele

I have read a bit about LvG and looks like he wants the players to follow his instructions letter by letter. He doesn't want the players to make decisions of their own on the pitch. They have to stick to his plan, even if it isn't working

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I agree about LVG. I think he's too mad.

I think Simeone might go after this season, because ultimately what else is there to achieve at Atletico given the state of the club? Every time he builds a team, or begins to, it gets dismantled. He'd be best off winning the league and getting out of town.
The beauty about the state of La Liga is that Madrid and Barca don't even have to manually dismantle their rivals like Bayern, their absurd TV deal takes care of that. Athletico will eventually drown on their own.

avaya

I have read a bit about LvG and looks like he wants the players to follow his instructions letter by letter. He doesn't want the players to make decisions of their own on the pitch. They have to stick to his plan, even if it isn't working

As it should be. Football players by and large are thick as shit.

The beauty about the state of La Liga is that Madrid and Barca don't even have to manually dismantle their rivals like Bayern, their absurd TV deal takes care of that. Athletico will eventually drown on their own.

If only Italy could get decent tv deals :(

FuturusX

Who ever gets it has to hit the ground running.

CITY, CHELSEA, LIVERPOOL, ARSENAL, EVERTON and SPURS. All teams that should have strong showings next season. This isn't La Liga or the Bundaliga. They'l have to know how to win in many different ways.

EDIT: Leave Spurs alone...guys...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
José Mourinho;108996387 said:
doicare says if you rely on luck your luck eventually runs out and you get beaten by the better team. Does that mean that all those times he talked about United's bad luck, or luck which had run out, they were in fact just being beaten by the better teams. Is that what this means? Has he now rendered all his previous posts null and void?
YES KYLE
If only Italy could get decent tv deals :(
Fuck Italy, give Juve all the money BABY!

Who ever gets it has to hit the ground running.

CITY, CHELSEA, LIVERPOOL, ARSENAL, EVERTON and SPURS. All teams that should have strong showings next season. This isn't La Liga or the Bundaliga. They'l have to know how to win in many different ways.

I'm not so sure about Everton really. Lukaku will leave and Barry probably too? That's two of their most important players this season. I hope they do well though, quite like Everton. Also Spurs are Spurs.

Salvadora

Don't see anything wrong with this tbh.

FuturusX

I'm not so sure about Everton really. Lukaku will leave and Barry probably too? That's two of their most important players this season. I hope they do well though, quite like Everton. Also Spurs are Spurs.

Absolutely. They'll have to actually spend money. But I'm more impressed with the backbone of that team, great back four. Perhaps they'll find some coins under the sofa.

Lightning

Banned
Everton next season have big issues that need addressing. Europa league will drain the squad so they will need to prepare for that. Lukaku and that Barcelona player definitely leaving, Barry maybe but he's getting old, and the club don't have a lot of money to throw around and since they are loans Everton will not get transfer fees for those players. Everton are going to need to look for bargain buys and hope they come off.

Spurs just don't have a good squad of players. Eriksen is decent and inconsistent but they just have a serious lack of quality.

Salazar

If I was an Everton supporter, I'd be absolutely frightened at this Cleverly talk.

Ship out Barry.

Bring in a tackle-allergic numpty who will be "excited about getting forward, getting in and around the box".

Barkley should consider his immediate future if Martinez's plans for their midfield are focused on Baines (aka Lahm MkII) and Cleverley.

Clegg

Martinez has rated Cleverley ever since his Wigan days when he had him on loan.

But yeah, if he wants him to replace Barry then he may have problems.

jtb

Banned
Everton next season have big issues that need addressing. Europa league will drain the squad so they will need to prepare for that. Lukaku and that Barcelona player definitely leaving, Barry maybe but he's getting old, and the club don't have a lot of money to throw around and since they are loans Everton will not get transfer fees for those players. Everton are going to need to look for bargain buys and hope they come off.

Spurs just don't have a good squad of players. Eriksen is decent and inconsistent but they just have a serious lack of quality.

completely agree. if Everton don't qualify for the CL, they are going suffer huge regression with the extra fixtures, an already pretty thin squad, and no guarantee of quality loan players. maybe not Newcastle level bad, but still pretty bad. how Martinez can handle all that will go a long way to determining just how good a manager he is, in my eyes, at least.

welcome back, btw. do you think Wenger should stay?

EmiPrime

I think we'll have the same top 4 we currently have next season. All four are going to strengthen in the summer and I don't see United, Everton or Spurs getting a look in. Chelsea with a decent striker next season will be very scary.

If we sign Fabregas, cover for centre half, a right back (if Sagna leaves) and a striker I will be more than happy.

jtb

Banned
Fabregas is a pipe dream. Even more so if Wenger is gone. (which I guess isn't happening but still) I'd be shocked if it happened because it won't.

anyways, Ramsey-Ozil tandem means there's no room for Fabregas in the team. we need at least a defensive midfielder, a striker, and we also have to replace any players that leave (Vermaelen, Sagna). I can easily see this being yet another summer where we take a step back.

danwarb

If he's doing such a great job in a 'controlling role', why do a lot of games for Liverpool turn into a shoot out? 3-2 thrice, 6-3, 4-3 etc. Your defence isn't the best which doesn't help, granted.

Something weird is that through this run Liverpool have only conceded 3 goals against sides in the top 8. Arsenal 1 (pen), City 2, Man United, Everton, Southampton and Spurs 0.

We tend to drop too deep after taking these early leads. Especially with our saggy back line.

Lightning

Banned
completely agree. if Everton don't qualify for the CL, they are going suffer huge regression with the extra fixtures, an already pretty thin squad, and no guarantee of quality loan players. maybe not Newcastle level bad, but still pretty bad. how Martinez can handle all that will go a long way to determining just how good a manager he is, in my eyes, at least.

welcome back, btw. do you think Wenger should stay?
Obtaining 4th will be VERY hard for Everton now. That loss to Palace screwed their season over. Southampton away, City home and Hull away are going to be very hard games to get maximum points from all of them. Our fixtures are kind, players are now back and we are getting rest. Hard to see us dropping any points now.

Everton will be looking for quality loans and bargain buys. Everton should be pushing for players like Remy, Drmic etc who are talented but now too expensive.

Yes I feel Wenger should stay for now. 2 year deal and sort something out after that. Klopp not leaving Dortmund, LVG I'm not a fan off, Martinez gets media loving for achieving nothing so far so heaps to prove before he can step up.

I just don't see any available candidates available in the PL to take over. Simeone I like but not sure his style of play would work with our players. Ideally want Klopp, so want to get closer to 2018 to try and get him.

avaya

Yes I feel Wenger should stay for now. 2 year deal and sort something out after that. Klopp not leaving Dortmund, LVG I'm not a fan off, Martinez gets media loving for achieving nothing so far so heaps to prove before he can step up.

I just don't see any available candidates available in the PL to take over. Simeone I like but not sure his style of play would work with our players. Ideally want Klopp, so want to get closer to 2018 to try and get him.

Delusional.

Barzul

Right, Barzul, listen:

This is a team of the season. It's an amalgamation of all the players who've had the biggest impact this season. Is that correct? If we agree then let's proceed.

In reference to your dismissal of Gerrard's penalty proficiency this season I made the objective point to state that without Gerrard's penalties - scored under extreme pressure - we would not be challenging for the title now. Which we are. Which we're in pole position to win. Under this context he's had a huge impact on the Premier League this season, a potentially decisive one.

And this is ignoring the main reason why he's in there that a select bunch of Arsenal fans are dismissing (range of passing, defensive contribution, tactical flexibility at such an age etc).

On the other hand we've got Aaron Ramsey who's played less than two thirds of the season. Already it's incredibly difficult to make the case for him to be in the team of the season because he's not played in a good portion of it. And he hasn't driven his team on to achieve anything particularly great. If you're saying that's because he's been out injured then I'd probably agree, but then surely such a thing is demonstrable evidence for why someone shouldn't be judged to have been one of the standout players in an entire Premier League season.
Good point. I agree.

Looking back on the day...just what the fuck have United been up to. It really is embarrassing and it's awful for Moyes. Our PR has always been slick. Harsh at times...but a smooth operation. Today was an utter disaster.

Who the fuck leaked the story a day ahead of the deed. In what world was that a good idea. Some papers are suggesting players new at the weekend this would happen. Apparently some even went to see Fergie.

Just a complete an utter shambles.

Jarnet87

I very much welcome this approach after David Moyes being clueless and just sending our boys onto the pitch with no sense or tactics or anything.

FuturusX

I'd be shocked if Man UTD missed top 4 again. Perhaps it's just because of their history but it would be shocking. I'm still in shock about this season. That's how bad Moyes fucked it all up.

wedward

I'd be shocked if Man UTD missed top 4 again. Perhaps it's just because of their history but it would be shocking. I'm still in shock about this season. That's how bad Moyes fucked it all up.

City and Chelsea won't be dropping.

Wenger doesn't know how to drop out of top 4.

That leaves us with one team...

Congrats to Burnley. I expect James Wilson to go on loan there next season. Sean Dyche has been to a couple of United's reserve matches to monitor James Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom