• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's as simple as getting a good coach and then challenging for the title again next year. There's a massive amount of work to be in rebuilding and restructuring the team from a position of relative weakness. If they've got any sense, Man Utd would spend this reported £200m over two or three seasons rather than spunking it all this year and trying to balance 8 or 9 new signings in to the team.

United need to buy 2 midfielders. A dm and a more mobile creative midfielder. They need to buy a new lb and a new cb possibly to help reinforce Evans, Smalling, and Jones. That's about it.

Plasma

Banned
I doubt it. The United golden age is over, the fergie shadow gone. United are just another big club now. No one has reason to fear them and most wont.

I guess but I still think they'll be up there again next season. It's going to be harder for us to stay in the top four (Presuming we don't drop out of it this year) unless we bring in a few more quality players.

Salazar

Ben Lyttleton ‏@benlyt 26s
Hang on, Marcelo Bielsa has agreed 'in principle' to take Marseille job, but not signed deal yet. Time for #MUFC to move?!?

:lol

Gone but never forgotten.

i07sXRDKz8T5U.gif

Moyes can now get the rest he deserves.

Lightning

Banned
I guess but I still think they'll be up there again next season. It's going to be harder for us to stay in the top four (Presuming we don't drop out of it this year) unless we bring in a few more quality players.
We should be doing that regardless. United with their resource and finance are always going to be there or there about. It's all on what we do, as it should be.

Mastadon

Banned
United need to buy 2 midfielders. A dm and a more mobile creative midfielder. They need to buy a new lb and a new cb possibly to help reinforce Evans, Smalling, and Jones. That's about it.

You're losing Vidic and potentially Ferdinand, so a CB is definitely needed I'd have thought. I'm not sure how strong a partnership of Smalling and Jones will be over the course of a season, and I suspect that's an area that LvG will look at very closely over the summer.

dc89

You're losing Vidic and potentially Ferdinand, so a CB is definitely needed I'd have thought. I'm not sure how strong a partnership of Smalling and Jones will be over the course of a season, and I suspect that's an area that LvG will look at very closely over the summer.

Here is what I posted yesterday

United's summer shopping list:

1 x manager
3 x coach
2 x centre back
2 x full back
2 x midfielders (any)
1 x centre forward

All in a World Cup year. United are fucked.

Someone said they have Jones, Evans and Smalling. But like you, I do not think that is enough for the course of a season, there is no experience or leader amongst those three. Maybe Jones will come as good as expected, but United must buy a class CB or two.

bjaelke

is it confirmed that Giggs is interim manager until the end of the season?

Seems like it although no official statement has been made.

Graeme Bailey @GraemeBailey
Ryan Giggs to take charge of Man United until the end of the season, with Nicky Butt set to assist him.

dc89

@RobDawsonMEN
Seen Vidic, Carrick, Nani and Fellaini all whizz through the gates at Carrington. Moyes IS still here. Been here since 5.20am apparently.

---

He is clinging on. He will not let go of the goal post and they have been called to help drag him out.

I think United should buy a CB too, but 2 cms and a lb hold priority over cb purchase. United have two cbs out on loan in Thorpe and Keane. I expect one of them to make the step up next season.

How in the world can you make a player interim manager? What kind of club does that?

Giggs is a player coach this season.

How in the world can you make a player interim manager? What kind of club does that?

One with 3 games left of the season, nothing to play for, and said player being a massive legend who's currently looking into coaching oppurtunities and could do with the experience, and the real targets being tied up until the end of the season at the earliest.

GQman2121

Banned
How many games combined have the current CBs missed this year for United? Seems like a fair amount between the five of them.

There's no fucking way Jones, Smalling and Evans end up being the three main starters next year. Unlike in the midfield where they refuse to buy quality, they'll have to spend to strengthen at the back or risk being a perennial mid-table side for seasons to come. You can never have to much depth back there.

Just ask their neighbors...

lol, British pundit class defending their boy (i.e Gary Neville and his ilk). What will the excuses be if the new (likely foreign) manager brings United back into the top four next season?

L1NETT

Feel the manager roundabout has been particularly fast this season

Pardew being the 6th longest serving manager in the FL is a scary, scary stat.

---

No Klopp? Oh wells, credit to the bloke for loyalty. Don't see it often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom