• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
pUX0GFn.jpg

Rodgers could very well be top by the start of the new season.
Wenger will stay at Arsenal, unless we flop out of the top 4 and lose the FA cup final to Hull... Don't want to imagine that.

Again, what kind of club does that these days? They couldn't even get someone proven to fill in for a few weeks?

Why would they sign someone to manage three games left? :S

Gives United time to sort out a manager, they don't need to rush into things with giggs sorting out the last three games

Feel the manager roundabout has been particularly fast this season

Pardew being the 6th longest serving manager in the FL is a scary, scary stat.

---

No Klopp? Oh wells, credit to the bloke for loyalty. Don't see it often enough.

I think the more interesting question is why the consensus is that long term managers are better. Ferguson is the exception to the rule, not the example that proves it.

The most successful clubs in the world chop and change their managers the whole time. Fact is it works.

Look at Pardew and Wenger for examples as to why it does not.

confuziz

Banned
United will fail to reach the top 3 next year. The material just isn't there. Van gaal won't change that. You can quote me on this next year.

Arnie

The best thing about all of this is they hired Moyes when Mourinho was on all fours, and fired him when all they can get is the mad gorp from The Goonies.

And Giggs as interim.

Christ.

Giggs. Supported by Nicky Butt.

Please, we've had Heynckes step in out of friendship. Don't you have a trainer for a second team that could fill in anyway? It's not criticism, it's just a bit weird and seems a tad unprofessional.

Maybe it doesn't happen in Germany, but its happened a few times in England. Old player steps up to manage the last few games which gives the board time to find a new manager

Klopp: "Man Utd is a great club and I feel very familiar with their wonderful fans. But my commitment to Borussia Dortmund and the people is not breakable."

Bless you sir.

Bring me van Gaal's balls.

L1NETT

Are you actually saying more clubs should actively look to sack managers after one or two years?

I've heard it all now.

That means Rodgers would have been gone.

Clubs with stability tend to have more successful seasons than those chopping and changing the whole time. A few European superclubs don't prove squat.

Lightning

Banned
I think the more interesting question is why the consensus is that long term managers are better. Ferguson is the exception to the rule, not the example that proves it.

The most successful clubs in the world chop and change their managers the whole time. Fact is it works.

Pardew is hardly long term comparable to Wenger, Ferguson and Moyes and Arsene has guided Arsenal through one hell of a hard period without spending a dime while taking down our stadium debt. The man should be congratulated for what he's achieved instead he gets criticized.

One season without Fergie and you're out of Europe despite spending 70m.

Arnie

People talking about stability need to realise that a manager is only worth the time if he's got a demonstrable philosophy worth fighting for.

Please, we've had Heynckes step in out of friendship. Don't you have a trainer for a second team that could fill in anyway? It's not criticism, it's just a bit weird and seems a tad unprofessional.

Giggs is an official coach. Butt, who is a coach for the youth teams, is also there with him.

Are you actually more clubs should actively look to sack managers after one or two years?

I've heard it all now.

That means Rodgers would have been gone.

Clubs with stability tend to have more successful seasons than those chopping and changing the whole time. A few European superclubs don't prove squat.

Rodgers was an odd case as you could look at last season's end of season table, and think he could have no complaints if he was sacked. But we were really good between Christmas and May, there were clear signs that the team was moving forward under him

L1NETT

Being a fan of stability doesn't mean there aren't times when managers should be sacked

I'm a fan of sticking with managers, not placing them there forever.

Moyes had lost the dressing room, players didn't seem interested blah blah blah. He deserved to go.

But so many clubs this year shouldn't have sacked their manager.

West Ham, for example, could have. And didn't. And now look.

pappe

RVP has been hanging out with LVG since he got injured.

Its all but confirmed LVG is coming to United.

A risky move but he is what we need right now someone who will be respected by all the players, he will give youth a chance and someone with balls to replace Rooney when he needs to be replaced.

He is the exact opposite of Moyes from what I make out and maybe thats exactly what we need.

pappe

Even a monkey knows what is wrong with this team/club. It's not rocket science.

bu.. but the managers dont matter.

I am sorry but i find it very ironical(?) that you are getting into a discussion about which manager suits United when you have made some statements earlier.

D_prOdigy

The elephant in the room is that Van Gaal has won close to shit since the turn of the century.

I don't think he'd be theoretically that different to Moyes; it'd be about trying to rebuild the foundations. Difference would hopefully be that he'd instil a bit of fucking fear into the players.

The elephant in the room is that Van Gaal has won close to shit since the turn of the century.

I don't think he'd be theoretically that different to Moyes; it'd be about trying to rebuild the foundations. Difference would hopefully be that he'd instil a bit of fucking fear into the players.

stacks_image_2g5k5g.png

Mastadon

Banned
LvG has many, many issues, but I genuinely can't think of anyone else who would be better suited to take up the reins at a club in Utd's position, and lay a strong foundation for the future.

Jack cw

LvG has many, many issues, but I genuinely can't think of anyone else who would be better suited to take up the reins at a club in Utd's position, and lay a strong foundation for the future.

What about SAF doing another 2 years? Heynckes did that too with Bayern and it was the best choice or is it out of the question?

Mastadon

Banned
You can smell the fear that some people have of United getting a competent manager

The sleeping giant is starting to stir

Sleeping giant is dead m8. You're just a club now.

What about SAF doing another 2 years? Heynckes did that too with Bayern and it was the best choice or is it out of the question?

That would be an awful idea in my opinion, as then you just face the same issue in two years. SAF should stay well away.

avaya

This. The fact that Wenger is still there is an indictment of Arsenal. He has done fuck all.

Jack cw

That would be an awful idea in my opinion, as then you just face the same issue in two years. SAF should stay well away.
Fair enough but I know van Gaal is problematic but I cant see any decent manager who could do the generational overhaul better tbh.
at least someone has :D

Of course. If we win, it'll be great. If we got beaten badly then Bayern is forced to buy at least one world class defender for our very mediocre defence. In both cases win/win for us but I still think we will win tomorrow without playing very good.

How much blame for United's current situation should lie with Ferguson? The quick turnaround on his retirement has basically set the club back. Do you not feel his retirement should have been announced a couple of seasons on advance so the board was adequately prepared.

You talk about LvG coming in and laying foundations but in all honesty this should have already been done by Ferguson, instead all he was laying was a turd without giving a courtesy flush. Meanwhile Moyes has been slopping out on shit cleaning duty for 10 months.

Dutch and German titles don't count? (He's also spent nearly five years in international management.)

Except only in tactics, training, man-management, the list goes on. The real elephant in the room is that he can be absolutely mental.

Danchi

Wonder how long Moyes will spend out of the game now. He's talked about managing abroad and I think there's a decent chance of that. The English media couldn't care less about anything outside their bubble so it would be a good opportunity to get away from the spotlight similar to McClaren.

L1NETT

I could see Moyes doing the Steve Mcclaren route -- going to a smaller club in Germany/Holland.

Edit: Danchi'd

--

Wenger has done nothing? Some people are utterly clueless. Must be talksport listeners.

Oh dear

@ianladyman Breaking: Police called to Carrington after human faeces discovered on Ed Woodward's desk

Don't be silly

It was a farewell Haggis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom