• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack cw

The thing I like about this rumour is that LVG could attract the players Moyes couldnt, I do hope we sign some good players.

Well, United certainly wont get any Bayern players, then. Kroos was send to Bayern Leverkusen and Heynckes established him in CM at Bayern.

Blablurn

Alex Shaw ‏@AlexShawESPN 31m
"LVG gave Kroos his big break (among others). Wonder what Kroos would make of LVG at MUFC and a huge pay rise."

ed-woodward-manchester-united-executive-vice-chairman_3046697.jpg

Van Gaal? loool

People seriously get paid to write stuff like this lol

Apparently Moyes stayed at the training ground to thank all the players, even after his sacking had been confirmed.

Some proper shithouses in that squad who didn't try for him.

are you in the Dragon Shrine? He's at the end of this level. He's not hostile so you're gonna have to smack him a few times to piss him off :p. His fire AoE will one shot no matter what you do, so go in naked, without a shield and wear a stamina ring.

the best strategy is to hit his back foot, and run as fast as possible to his 'tail' whenever you see him preparing to fly and AoE-fire the place up, just rinse and repeat. The tip of his tail is the safest zone. That, or run to the edge of the platform, which is way too risky but safer.

I tried it once with a Gyrm Sgreatshield and a +5 Dragonride Greatbow. The bow does reasonable damage, but I need to 2-hand the shield to stand a chance of withstanding the fire. The problem with that setup really is the fact that you need to press so many buttons, quickly, to switch from 2 handed shield to being able to use the bow.

I can probably do it once I figure out the tells for his AoE attacks, but it just takes so long to get there, with so many tough enemies between the bonfire and the dragon

Think my best tactic could be shield in one hand, Avelyn in the other

Haven't tried it for a while, but think I have my tactics for Darklurker sorted. 4 Pryomancy spells, spell-restoration item equipped, dark-resistant shield. Get in, go HAM.

Fucking hate having the time limit on the giant memories, I just wanna kite the enemies and explore :(

I'm sure there was a buyable item to level up Intelligence by 1, at a cost of 20,000 souls. Don't have a clue who sold it though :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I tried it once with a Gyrm Sgreatshield and a +5 Dragonride Greatbow. The bow does reasonable damage, but I need to 2-hand the shield to stand a chance of withstanding the fire. The problem with that setup really is the fact that you need to press so many buttons, quickly, to switch from 2 handed shield to being able to use the bow.

I can probably do it once I figure out the tells for his AoE attacks, but it just takes so long to get there, with so many tough enemies between the bonfire and the dragon

Think my best tactic could be shield in one hand, Avelyn in the other

Haven't tried it for a while, but think I have my tactics for Darklurker sorted. 4 Pryomancy spells, spell-restoration item equipped, dark-resistant shield. Get in, go HAM.

Fucking hate having the time limit on the giant memories, I just wanna kite the enemies and explore :(

I'm sure there was a buyable item to level up Intelligence by 1, at a cost of 20,000 souls. Don't have a clue who sold it though :(

you can go back and explore inside the memories :p there's a Lord Vessel in one of them IIRC

No! Forget about withstanding the fire and using a shield! Trust me, just go in naked, it's not worth it. You can tell he's going to fly when he flaps his wings around for a couple of seconds. There's an NPC you can summon outside btw!

I think you can find a few sets (helmets mostly) that increase INT and Faith by a few points.

What the fuck am I reading?

It really drags the good name of football through the mud to see something like that happen. It was just another example of the kind of depths to which Jose Mourinho will sink to intimidate referees, showing just what a classless club Chelsea are and always have been. It's a disgrace, a real lack of respect, in a world increasingly obsessed with nice touches, and the spirit in which the game is played. Which is what made it quite so brilliant.

After a series of, and there's no other way of putting this, f*cking stupid decisions, Mike Dean had provoked Rui Faria one too many times. The final indignity came when Dean ambled up in secret, and disguised himself as a toilet, wearing a porcelain shield and with 'Armitage Shanks' tattoed on his forehead. He crouched in such a manner as to effect the shape and look of a lavatory, and positioned himself in Faria's house on Saturday morning.

Faria, after a small coffee and a tab, and halfway through a morning croissant, made his way upstairs to the comfort and quiet of his en suite bathroom. He squatted, he read Correio de Manha, and as he relieved himself, he thought about the guaranteed victory against Sunderland. He turned around to flush, but Dean had already made his exit through the trap-door he had installed months back. He was clutching his treasure as he bounded down the road, out of the cul de sac. He had achieved what he had aimed for, and Faria knew it. Faria had lost his sh*t.

Faria lost his sh*t not in the normal way we all do: scowling at people who bash us in the supermarket trolley on the ankles two seconds apart, asking 'are you gonna do that again?' This wasn't even the usual method for a physical fight on the football pitch, which is largely reduced to two shoves per person and, if anyone is really batey, one slightly feeble, semi-connecting punch, before everyone gets involved by dragging them away.

No, Faria went in such a way as to illustrate when cartoon characters end up with steam coming from their ears. As Dean ambled over to the sidelines, little bubbles collected at the bottom of the pan. As he got closer, and Faria started his chat, they started rising to the surface and popping. Once Dean chose to respond, Faria came onto the full rolling boil, gesticulating wildly, bouncing and trembling and thrashing around before being held back, eventually, by Jose Mourinho, who swung him back casually with an arm, and then the rest of the Chelsea backroom staff, one of who finally thought to take him off the hob.

And why was this? Well, two decisions, neither of which were exceptional incompetence, but both of which typify Dean's usual refereeing technique: he is a man that tends to run up to the right decision and the wrong decision, like a psychopathic child choosing puppies in Battersea Dogs home, before cruelly discarding the correct decision as he looks to create havoc. That one, please! With the blood on his face! I'll call him Deanosaurus Rex!

First, Ramires was about to give Chelsea the lead when Sebastian Larsson hurtled into his ribs, forcing him to head wide of goal. It was an obvious denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity, and Larsson should have been sent off. Chelsea should have had a penalty, too. But Dean. Mike Dean. Mr Mike Dean. Oh, it wasn't to him. He sauntered off with his brain absent, and with Rui Faria gently simmering, to see what else might happen.

What happened was that Ramires, last seen provoking Mourinho into being sent off with a last minute two-footed lunge against Aston Villa, jogged past Dean and in front of Larsson, before cheerfully slamming a forearm into Larsson's chops. It wasn't especially dangerous - it wasn't with full force and it wasn't with the point of an elbow - but it was clearly a red card for Ramires. But Dean. Mike Dean. Mr Mike Dean. Mr Mike "I'm the ref? Oh, that explains a lot." Dean. He just kept on jogging, letting play carry on. Again, it's quite funny, especially because at the start of the second half he appeared to mouth to Larsson that he hadn't seen anything. It was right in front of him. Right in front of him. It was in front of his eyes. Look at the diagram below:

Dean ----- Dean's Eyes -----> Larsson's face <---- Ramires' elbow.

It's complicated, granted.

So, after missing a penalty and at least one obvious red card, Dean redoubled his efforts for the second half. With the score at 1-1, Cesar Azpilicueta slipped in the corner, just by his box, and Jozy Altidore - the most popular player on Wearside - drove towards the byline. Azpilicueta, tracking back to rectify his mistake slid into block the tackle, and Altidore slipped too, plunging his left leg out onto the defender in an attempt to steady himself, but ending up on his bum nonetheless. After Fabio Borini - the most popular player on Merseyside - put Sunderland ahead with the penalty, it was Dean's time.

He opened Faria's front door, silently stepped up to the en suite bathroom in Faria's house as he heard the coffee machine rumble. He put on his porcelain costume, crouched, and sat there, waiting in anticipation. This was his time. This was his moment. He, once and for all, was really taking the p*ss.

faridmon

I want Moyes back at Everton as an Executive Manager or something higher up. He was good at spotting talents and building a very fearsome set of players.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@Hitcher

Ah right, go to
Navlaan in Aldia's keep. I THINK he sells a helmet that increases INT by a point or two.. / completing his assassination quest will give you the BEST pyro spell in the game btw, the Forbidden Sun. And you don't have to kill anyone anyway :p

Klopp is magnificent.

I really don't mean to shit on Dortmund but this man has, it seems, turned down the chance to manage Barcelona and Man United - to stay on and see out his work at a club which have a fucking steep hill to climb almost perpetually.

He's brilliant.

Jimrpg

As an Everton fan, the way the football world in general has treated Moyes has been pretty diabolical. The man was not given a chance at all. He wasn't able to buy anyone over the summer except for an out of touch and often injured Fellaini. He then could only get a champions league cup tied Juan Mata who while useful was never going to single handedly drag Manchester United back into champions league qualification contention. The defence should shoulder most of the blame, they have been atrocious all season, how many times did Vidic get sent off this year? Rio is what 45?

Sure he lost to Man City, Liverpool Everton home and away, but Ferguson probably would have had difficulty too. And everyone lost to Liverpool this year anyway. Also how can you blame the man for 4 missed penalties against Sunderland. AND giving away 3 penalties against Liverpool, that's just player error.

I think if Brendan Rodgers goes to Man United in the summer, Moysie would be the perfect fit for Liverpool.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Klopp is magnificent.

I really don't mean to shit on Dortmund but this man has, it seems, turned down the chance to manage Barcelona and Man United - to stay on and see out his work at a club which have a fucking steep hill to climb almost perpetually.

He's brilliant.

you would've worded this post differently if it was Pep innit

Scum

As an Everton fan, the way the football world in general has treated Moyes has been pretty diabolical. The man was not given a chance at all. He wasn't able to buy anyone over the summer except for an out of touch and often injured Fellaini. He then could only get a champions league cup tied Juan Mata who while useful was never going to single handedly drag Manchester United back into champions league qualification contention. The defence should shoulder most of the blame, they have been atrocious all season, how many times did Vidic get sent off this year? Rio is what 45?

Sure he lost to Man City, Liverpool Everton home and away, but Ferguson probably would have had difficulty too. And everyone lost to Liverpool this year anyway. Also how can you blame the man for 4 missed penalties against Sunderland. AND giving away 3 penalties against Liverpool, that's just player error.

I think if Brendan Rodgers goes to Man United in the summer, Moysie would be the perfect fit for Liverpool.

7MHUV.gif

faridmon

Lol

K1LLER7

Apparently Moyes stayed at the training ground to thank all the players, even after his sacking had been confirmed.

Some proper shithouses in that squad who didn't try for him.

Seems like a good guy. Just not good enough for United and couldn't handle some of the big ego's of the players. Hopefully we get a manager who can put some of these players i their place or sell them.

Scum

Seems like a good guy. Just not good enough for United and couldn't handle some of the big ego's of the players. Hopefully we get a manager who can put some of these players i their place or sell them.

Yeah. Someone like InterTim...

Scum

Pardon me if this is ancient, but Moyes apparently had a clause in his 6 year contract that capped his compensation to only 12 months, to £5&#8201;million out of the £30 mil if the club failed to qualify for the Champions League. We all know how that ended.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/david-moyes-loses-again-manchester-united-cap-payoff-at-5m-9274631.html
Laugh all you want, but it's easiest £5m Moyes ever made, innit.

I can't find the bottle-smashing gif :(

Oi, Carbo. Where's your bottle smashing over the head .gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

camron.gif

I can't find the bottle-smashing gif :(

camron.gif

Moyes wanted to give everyone a chance. It was admirable and I see why he did it. It just sounds like it was a losing battle from the off. We'll never know but it appears some of the players just didn't believe in him from the get go. I guess part of that is him not having the required standing, maybe him not having the personality and the players just being pricks.

In hindsight it all seems so obvious...

But really I think he would have done better if he had signed 3/4 players in the summer. His players. For sure it seems like he just wasn't up for it and eventually he would have failed but that would have given him a chance and maybe allowed him to do enough to get a second season. Maybe...his set up was god awful.

I hope all this mess with United might convince Willy C to stay one more season with us. Who knows when he might get a chance to play on the Champions League if he goes to Man Utd.

Jarnet87

I hope all this mess with United might convince Willy C to stay one more season with us. Who knows when he might get a chance to play on the Champions League if he goes to Man Utd.

His value is at all time high, If a team meets the buyout clause Sporting will gladly ship him off.

Jack cw

Bayern presser with Pep for the semis: (British reporter asking him about possible United job)
Guardiola: "I have signed at Bayern for 3 years and started to understand the German mentality, that's why I dont want to leave Munich."

So, Klopp and Pep already rejected. Cunte and Simeoni next.

K1LLER7

Moyes wanted to give everyone a chance. It was admirable and I see why he did it. It just sounds like it was a losing battle from the off. We'll never know but it appears some of the players just didn't believe in him from the get go. I guess part of that is him not having the required standing, maybe him not having the personality and the players just being pricks.

In hindsight it all seems so obvious...

But really I think he would have done better if he had signed 3/4 players in the summer. His players. For sure it seems like he just wasn't up for it and eventually he would have failed but that would have given him a chance and maybe allowed him to do enough to get a second season. Maybe...his set up was god awful.
Gill should have stayed on over the summer, would have definitely helped. Guess we'll never know. Thought Moyes should have kept some of the previous coaching staff around with him. I get wanting to have your own team with you, but having some of the old guard there could have helped.

If Van Gaal is to be the next manager, I hope Woodward can get his approval to go for the players Moyes seemed to have lined up (Shaw, Carvalho, etc) Can't be dealing with a recurrence of the last summer window and moving too late.

Walshy

Woodward didn't allow him to sign any players, well according to than Andy Mitten article United-GAF posted here.

Back in the summer of 2013, while his players were concerned about the loss not only of Ferguson, but of his coaches who didn't want to leave, Moyes was publicly confident at the start about United’s prospects and talked of his pleasure at working with such great players, as though he'd been handed the keys to a Ferrari after years in family saloon.

Privately, however, he consistently said he had a huge rebuilding job to do. He did it in calls to coaches a year ago as he sought to assemble his future staff, while football was still oblivious to Ferguson’s imminent departure.

He said it to people at Everton, too, and he has said it throughout this season. Moyes is entitled to that view and maybe he’s right, but it’s an odd thing to hear about a team that had just won the league by 11 points.

Moyes’ assessment also did not tally with that of his boss, chief executive Ed Woodward, who said that the squad needed "little re-tooling."
Moyes made a lot of mistakes - but the United job was a poisoned chalice. I think the players and the board should take as much of the blame as Moyes has for your disastrous season.

Yes, United won the league by 11 points last season but the quality of the league has drastically improved by one season, the majority of clubs have been improved. Spurs sit on nearly identically the same points as last season but find themselves five points off were they was last season. Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, City and even Arsenal for a period have all improved. In hindsight it seems a bit odd that Fellani was your only addition in the summer to an aging squad.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
On Sandro:

Calciomercato say on Tuesday that Tottenham may be more likely to sell now than they have been in the past, which is largely an assumption based on him not playing. More interestingly they claim that Sandro's agents have been in contact with Napoli, but that the two clubs have had no contact whatsoever - meaning that the talks are certainly not with Tottenham's blessing. Not directly anyway, intermediaries could be working on behalf of Tottenham too, but that sounds less likely given Daniel Levy's record of being involved in Tottenham sales directly, and with great success.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Italian outlet say AS Roma have also made contact. Tottenham are said to want more than €15m.

Sherwood you stupid twat, if we end up selling Sandro because of your dumb midfield selections I'm going to kill myself.

K1LLER7

Bayern presser with Pep for the semi: (British reporter asking him about possible United job)
"I have signed at Bayern for 3 years and started to understand the German mentality, that's why I dont want to leave Munich."

So, Klopp and Pep already rejected. Cunte and Simeoni next.

Would be surprised if it's anybody other than Van Gaal.

How did Bayern play under him?

Scum

On Sandro:

Sherwood you stupid twat, if we end up selling Sandro because of your dumb midfield selections I'm going to kill myself.

No, Ush. Not yourself. I'll join you in killing him instead.
This is why I want him gone. He'll ship out our bloody good players. Daft cunt.

raven777

Simeone was asked about it and basically said no comment.

Think it'll be LVG.

I thought Simeone doesn't speak any English? That could be a problem, although we do have lots of foreign managers in EPL and ones like Pochettino who doesn't speak English well.

anyway, where was this from?

Clegg

I thought Simeone doesn't speak any English? That could be a problem, although we do have lots of foreign managers in EPL and ones like Pochettino who doesn't speak English well.
He doesn't speak English very well afaik.

He answered the question in Spanish too.

Jack cw

How did Bayern play under him?

Decent in the first year.
To be honest, the first months under him were terrible. We were in the midfield of Bundesliga after one and a half month and then the last minute Robben transfer happened, and van Gaals 4-3-3 started working and we won Bundesliga, German Cup and reached the CL final. But you could see in 2009 that our CBs were the weak spot and the season after this one went simply bad, because van gaal refused to buy a decent keeper, CM, CAM and CB and his tactics have been decrypted. It was all about posession with position holding and no overlapping full backs. He got sacked after nearly 2 years because the CL qualification was in danger and Heynckes took over from then.

He managed to get some incredible talents out of Bayerns youth: Müller, Badstuber and Alaba for example. He wanted to made Ribery a CAM but he refused so, we lacked that position until Götze came and Kroos was on loan in Leverkusen under van Gaal. He made the foundation of Bayerns 4-3-3 but his tranfers outside Robben were utter shit (Braafheid or Pranjic). He was an ass most of the time too, blocking Riberys performance by taking away his freedom to play the wing as he liked.

He was great at establishing a system and tactical understanding with an amazing eye for talents, but his constant refusal to buy players for certain positions and his stubborness at improving his tactics made him fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom