• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Spider-Man was pretty good. Much better than the first one. Let me cream in your bobes, Emma.

Have we sacked Di Matteo yet?

Van Gaal's CV isn't even that amazing and the best thing he did happened 20 years ago.

I think he will just mean trouble for our squad. Clashes will happen.

Edit: Just read the report that says United will only have to pay 1 year to Moyes.

Clashes with Rooney and the other mopey cunts? Fine by me. Squads getting a clear out as it is. Adapt or die cunts.

Jack cw

Van Gaal's CV isn't even that amazing and the best thing he did happened 20 years ago.

Oh c'mon. Many of us remember his phenomenal squad at Ajax in the mid 90ies and his base work at Barca and Bayern. His eye for talents is unmatched: Xavi, Iniesta, Müller, Alaba, Seedorf, Kluivert, etc. to name only a handful of world class players. He was the coach that came closest to the voetbal total idea of Cruyff and its no coincidence that Ajax, Barca and Bayern dominated several years in football because of his influence. He is an ass, yes, but a highly skilled ass.

Oh c'mon. Many of us remember his phenomenal squad at Ajax in the mid 90ies and his base work at Barca and Bayern. His eye for talents is unmatched: Xavi, Iniesta, Müller, Alaba, Seedorf, Kluivert, etc. to name only a handful of world class players. He was the coach that came closest to the voetbal total idea of Cruyff and its no coincidence that Ajax, Barca and Bayern dominated several years in football because of his influence. He is an ass, yes, but a highly skilled ass.

I like your words. I want to hug them.

faridmon

To be honest, I just want anyone who would see value and talent in the players we have right now. InterTim continues to prove me right for all the wrong reasons, and I have this fear that he'll force out some of the lads. Unless, Levy stops him from doing so.

I think your main problem is Levy himself. I can see him an astute business man, but frankly, you need to actually use the talents you have in disposal. The fact that the likes of Huddlestone, Livermore, Holtby are doing bang up job for other clubs is just frustrating. The players are there, you need a manager to fully play them in a coherent way.

and yes, Moyes is
not
the answer.

Scum

0q76ono.gif

Rad-

Him favoring youth is probably his best quality but I think he should have gotten better results with both Bayern and Barca.

sohois

Van Gaal could easily end up as a colossal, Moyes-level failure once again.

But that isn't really saying much as every manager would have that caveat sans a few unavailable managers like Mourinho or Ancelotti. The fact is with Klopp and Simeone almost certainly not interested LvG is the most accomplished option available.

edit: the youth talent thing is a silly point to bring up, it's not too hard to pick out top talents when you are dealing with some of the most prolific academies in history like Ajax, Barca and Bayern. Utd's set up, while still decent, is a long way from those guys and they just don't have the players in their youth ranks to suddenly produce a few stars. At best Van Gaal could coax some Flanagan-level successes out of them.

Wilbur

Banned
I think we'd be foolish to dismiss a manager as good as LVG based on a few dud seasons over his entire career. Even so when he has fucked it, he's helped the future of the club; Bayern, Barca and Ajax all seem to have profited from his work even when he isn't there. Won the league with AZ as well didn't he?

Jack cw

Him favoring youth is probably his best quality but I think he should have gotten better results with both Bayern and Barca.

That is true of course and yes, that is the downside with him. He is too proud and stubborn to accept his own failure and does not react at tactical changes. But his methods to improve a squad are good enough for a few seasons to set up a base for sophisticated attacking football.

L1NETT

I think Neville/Carra nailed it re:Spurs on MNF a few weeks back when he questioned what the remit is of a prospective Spurs boss.

Is CL the aim, and anything below that is unacceptable? Is that realistic, especially considering the time it takes to bed in all these foreigner players and the spending power and size of the clubs around them.

Are Spurs a club which are in and around the CL, and being happy with that is enough.

I think there is a huge disparity between what Levy thinks it takes to get and secure regular CL football and what that actually takes to achieve that.

Sacking the manager for not getting CL football is not sustainable. Unless of course we all believe sacking the manger every 1/2 years is somehow healthy.

Scum

I think your main problem is Levy himself. I can see him an astute business man, but frankly, you need to actually use the talents you have in disposal. The fact that the likes of Huddlestone, Livermore, Holtby are doing bang up job for other clubs is just frustrating. The players are there, you need a manager to fully play them in a coherent way.

and yes, Moyes is
not
the answer.

Levy needs to let the "We have to finish fourth, innit!" mentality go away. Everyone wants to see their favourite in CL football, but we're not good enough for it. I think we're better off competing in EL, regardless of what everyone else thinks of it. I'll take 5th in the league, pls. But I'll tell you what though, InterTim will be moidered by my hands if that cunt drives away the likes of Sandro and Lamela.

LTWheels

Really enjoying Dark Souls 2. I spent a lot of my bank holiday playing it.

I could never get into DS1. Have tried 4 or 5 times. But something with the sequel clicked with me. Although that seems contrey to the general online perception that it is a disappointment compared to the first.

Jack cw

edit: the youth talent thing is a silly point to bring up, it's not too hard to pick out top talents when you are dealing with some of the most prolific academies in history like Ajax, Barca and Bayern. Utd's set up, while still decent, is a long way from those guys and they just don't have the players in their youth ranks to suddenly produce a few stars. At best Van Gaal could coax some Flanagan-level successes out of them.

He went through 3 clubs with the best youth work and know how to establish it. United could only benefit from this. And make no mistake, no coach could bring you the championship, cup and CL within a year, not with this squad. It takes time to get the team into the top 3 again. Time no manager would get, so regardless who Uniteds new coach is, if the results doesnt meet the expectations, we have another Moyes situation...

Scum

I think Neville/Carra nailed it re:Spurs on MNF a few weeks back when he questioned what the remit is of a prospective Spurs boss.

Is CL the aim, and anything below that is unacceptable? Is that realistic, especially considering the time it takes to bed in all these foreigner players and the spending power and size of the clubs around them.

Are Spurs a club which are in and around the CL, and being happy with that is enough.

I think there is a huge disparity between what Levy thinks it takes to get and secure regular CL football and what that actually takes to achieve that.

Sacking the manager for not getting CL football is not sustainable. Unless of course we all believe sacking the manger every 1/2 years is somehow healthy.

If only Levy will change it to EL. Jol might still be about...

sohois

He went through 3 clubs with the best youth work and know how to establish it. United could only benefit from this. And make no mistake, no coach could bring you the championship, cup and CL within a year, not with this squad. It takes time to get the team into the top 3 again. Time no manager would get, so regardless who Uniteds new coach is, if the results doesnt meet the expectations, we have another Moyes situation...

Does he really? I doubt he had much effect on the famed academies of Ajax or La Masia. Whilst he could bring some of his knowledge to United that kind of thing takes years to filter through. Time, as you mention, is the issue. Both United and LvG know that this would be a short term arrangement. Everything is going to be about the first team, and their success.

Empty

if we do hire van gaal i can't wait for him to shit all over the uk press. they've had a season of mourinho back and buttering them up, they need to be put in their place and shamed.

Jack cw

LVG is legit crazy.

This is going to be hilarious. From one extreme to the other. Things could get worse.

You know what? That exact statement was done when Bayern announced him to replace Klinsmann. While he was sacked after 2 seasons, he somehow worked there and we are still playing his legacy system. Its not that easy for a squad to play tiki taka or fast paced counter if they havent learned the tactical knowledge about positioning and movment in a 4-3-3.

Firemind

I think we'd be foolish to dismiss a manager as good as LVG based on a few dud seasons over his entire career. Even so when he has fucked it, he's helped the future of the club; Bayern, Barca and Ajax all seem to have profited from his work even when he isn't there. Won the league with AZ as well didn't he?

Yes. Major lol at the guy who said he didn't accomplish much in the last twenty years. One of the most impressive feats in his career.

Jack cw

Does he really? I doubt he had much effect on the famed academies of Ajax or La Masia. Whilst he could bring some of his knowledge to United that kind of thing takes years to filter through. Time, as you mention, is the issue. Both United and LvG know that this would be a short term arrangement. Everything is going to be about the first team, and their success.

He could at least convince the board to invest in a youth centre and competent scouting. Something United wouldnt benefit from the start but in the future. The risk to rely on foreign midfielders for example could be minimized. And true, the goal is to get at least back into the Champions League and play for the championship.

There are 5 clubs which everyone would agree that are going to demand CL football and anything less is unacceptable; yet there are only 4 slots. I don't think it is unreasonable for 1 more team to add to the list. If Everton get 4th this season do you really think that the board should accept another decade of top half finishes without CL like they had under the Chosen One?.

dc89

@MullockSMirror
Guardiola says he's staying at Bayern for 2 more years...just when 2 of his former colleagues are planning to recruit a new manager

---

The Engineer is building the foundations for Pep.

Meier

I don't follow USA Soccer Guy since his best stuff usually just gets RTed anyway but I was looking at his old pics.. this one had me rolling.

BjhVhtdIEAIv9cS.jpg

"It's a joke mum!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom