• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

raiot

Cheers.

So basically like Moyes United vs Everton.

Imagine Peps Bayern with static positions.
Van Gaal separated the field into zones and gave all players special zones they had to hold. If someone left their zone for too long they were subbed. (Happened to Robben!)
Pair this with endless passes to the defense and you can imagine how exciting the matches were.
Edit:

I also read somewhere he trained with sensors on the players and computer assisted tracking to check if the players where always in their zone

Woodward didn't allow him to sign any players, well according to than Andy Mitten article United-GAF posted here.

Moyes made a lot of mistakes - but the United job was a poisoned chalice. I think the players and the board should take as much of the blame as Moyes has for your disastrous season.

Yes, United won the league by 11 points last season but the quality of the league has drastically improved by one season, the majority of clubs have been improved. Spurs sit on nearly identically the same points as last season but find themselves five points off were they was last season. Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, City and even Arsenal for a period have all improved. In hindsight it seems a bit odd that Fellani was your only addition in the summer to an aging squad.
Woodward didn't stop him, saying it needs little re-tooling is a very different thing and besides, Woodward has been the biggest advocate of the "Fergie left us an ancient ruin" agenda.

I agree though, as does everyone really, the faults lie way beyond Moyes.

Jimrpg

In hindsight it all seems so obvious...

But really I think he would have done better if he had signed 3/4 players in the summer. His players. For sure it seems like he just wasn't up for it and eventually he would have failed but that would have given him a chance and maybe allowed him to do enough to get a second season. Maybe...his set up was god awful.

No he set up his Man United teams like he setup his Everton teams, full of dour favourites at the start like Cleverly, Young, Valencia, Giggs over more flair players like Hernandez, Kagawa, Nani. He entrusted creativity in only his senior players. He had to control all aspects of the football style and if you didn't conform you didn't play. If you made mistakes you were benched. The difference between Man United and Everton is that the Everton players played for him because it was such a small squad that most players played every week. At Man U it seemed like he froze out a number of players making them wait their turn and some of the players just didn't take a liking to him, making Van Persie run around like a yard dog is just criminal.

I'll grant you that he's a somewhat decent manager, but he's way too rigid tactically to regularly beat the top teams which as we all know was his achilles heel. And yes as an Everton fan I thought he was super early on when they were finishing fifth, but the last few years he wasn't anything special and the only thing that saved him was that his players knew the system back to front.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
HITCHER

apparently you can use the uber awesome Gower's Ring of Protection to negate his fire's damage (if it hits your back when running away from it). It'll soak up five hits before it breaks, so use a Bracing Knuckle Ring to make it last longer :p

Guys, I'm really apprehensive on LvG, even though I realise there's a shortage of options to cherry pick from.
Seems like a Triple H style fella.

Jarnet87

We should secure van Gaal for now and then work out an pre-agreement with Klopp so that he will join United when his current contract ends.

Just kidding full speed ahead on operation Kloppy. A lot can change when the season ends. Of course managers aren't going to speculate about the job to the media.

Walshy

Fellaini is still young in comparison.
But there should of been more additions really. Although Fellaini has been utter shit.

Woodward didn't stop him, saying it needs little re-tooling is a very different thing and besides, Woodward has been the biggest advocate of the "Fergie left us an ancient ruin" agenda.

I agree though, as does everyone really, the faults lie way beyond Moyes.
Ah, didn't know that. Thanks.

Blablurn

We should secure van Gaal for now and then work out an pre-agreement with Klopp so that he will join United when his current contract ends.

Just kidding full speed ahead on operation Kloppy. A lot can change when the season ends. Of course managers aren't going to speculate about the job to the media.

if football would be that easy lol

Randdalf

Pochettino can speak English well enough, just chooses not to to the media.

His radio interviews are pretty hilarious because Pochettino can blatantly understand everything the interviewer says and even one time answered without his translator. It's a clever way of avoiding the spotlight though.

Scum

Guys, I'm really apprehensive on LvG, even though I realise there's a shortage of options to cherry pick from.
Seems like a Triple H style fella.

It's seems mad, but he's probably the best thing that can happen. Like I mentioned yesterday, there are times when you just need to be in that class with the old cunt teaching. You might not like his or her methods, but you'll be out of the classroom having learnt a shit load.

kmax

They just aired an interview with LVG on Sky Sports. Dunno how old it is but he basically said that he'd like to manage a premier league team someday after his tenure at Holland.

Van Gaal it is.

Scum

His radio interviews are pretty hilarious because Pochettino can blatantly understand everything the interviewer says and even one time answered without his translator. It's a clever way of avoiding the spotlight though.

Can you blame him though. lol

Meier

Never forget.

MoyesBoyz.gif
MoyesBoyz2.gif

You're a tad, just a tiny little bit, but actually by a huge bit, annoying as fuck.

Klopp isn't gonna leave for United. That isn't going to change when the season ends, or when Shinji calls him, or whatever the fuck you dream of.

Razor554

"Guardiola (coach Bayern): "My opinion about Messi will never change. I have never seen a player like him, and I never will."

pls Pep,

come back to home.

raven777

They just aired an interview with LVG on Sky Sports. Dunno how old it is but he basically said that he'd like to manage a premier league team someday after his tenure at Holland.

Van Gaal it is.

I thought it was kinda old (like end of last year?) when he was linked with Totteham.

kmax

I thought it was kinda old (like end of last year?) when he was linked with Totteham.

Yeah, I dunno how old it is but they aired it nonetheless in connection with the Moyes affair. I'm guessing that he'd take over Man U over Tottenham any day.

raven777

Yeah, I dunno how old it is but they aired it nonetheless in connection with the Moyes affair. I'm guessing that he'd take over Man U over Tottenham any day.

Well, the reason Van Gaal didn't sign with Tottenham already must mean that he was expecting Moyes sacking and that he could get the job.

Jarnet87

You're a tad, just a tiny little bit, but actually by a huge bit, annoying as fuck.

Klopp isn't gonna leave for United. That isn't going to change when the season ends, or when Shinji calls him, or whatever the fuck you dream of.

ibbaRRaKnKXTRp.gif

you've killed the muppet in me. I'm ready for Big Sam.

Clegg

It's weird.

Van Gaal is one of the most accomplished and respected managers in modern football, but I'm still unsure about having his as United manager even after the Moyes debacle.

K1LLER7

Decent in the first year.
To be honest, the first months under him were terrible. We were in the midfield of Bundesliga after one and a half month and then the last minute Robben transfer happened, and van Gaals 4-3-3 started working and we won Bundesliga, German Cup and reached the CL final. But you could see in 2009 that our CBs were the weak spot and the season after this one went simply bad, because van gaal refused to buy a decent keeper, CM, CAM and CB and his tactics have been decrypted. It was all about posession with position holding and no overlapping full backs. He got sacked after nearly 2 years because the CL qualification was in danger and Heynckes took over from then.

He managed to get some incredible talents out of Bayerns youth: Müller, Badstuber and Alaba for example. He wanted to made Ribery a CAM but he refused so, we lacked that position until Götze came and Kroos was on loan in Leverkusen under van Gaal. He made the foundation of Bayerns 4-3-3 but his tranfers outside Robben were utter shit (Braafheid or Pranjic). He was an ass most of the time too, blocking Riberys performance by taking away his freedom to play the wing as he liked.

He was great at establishing a system and tactical understanding with an amazing eye for talents, but his constant refusal to buy players for certain positions and his stubborness at improving his tactics made him fail.
Hmm, think having him as a short-term thing could actually work. Doesn't sound like a like somebody you would want long-term, but if he can establish a solid foundation for the next manager with the right core of players, I would take him.

Plus his "mind-games" with Mourinho would be awsome lol.

Imagine Peps Bayern with static positions.
Van Gaal separated the field into zones and gave all players special zones they had to hold. If someone left their zone for too long they were subbed. (Happened to Robben!)
Pair this with endless passes to the defense and you can imagine how exciting the matches were.
Edit:

I also read somewhere he trained with sensors on the players and computer assisted tracking to check if the players where always in their zone
lol not sure if players will get along with him.

At least Van Persie won't have anybody getting into his zone.

Randdalf

It's weird.

Van Gaal is one of the most accomplished and respected managers in modern football, but I'm still unsure about having his as United manager even after the Moyes debacle.

I think appointing him would be a tacit acknowledgement that Man Utd have joined the managerial merry-go-round like most other clubs in the PL, I can't see him staying for the long term.

Jack cw

It's weird.

Depends on your expectations. Regardless who will become your new manager he needs to make the generational shift and overhaul with the squad, implement some fundamental tactics and restructure your youth system to promote young players to the A squad and buy some highly skilled players for key postitions. There is lots of work to do.

Scum

On the positive side, he won't play that fucking defensive high line.
Every cloud ect..

To be honest, I just want anyone who would see value and talent in the players we have right now. InterTim continues to prove me right for all the wrong reasons, and I have this fear that he'll force out some of the lads. Unless, Levy stops him from doing so.

kmax

It's weird.

The man certainly has the experience. Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich are some of the teams he's managed, in comparison to Moyes who's only team worth mentioning other than Man U has been Everton.

Rad-

Van Gaal's CV isn't even that amazing and the best thing he did happened 20 years ago.

I think he will just mean trouble for our squad. Clashes will happen.

Edit: Just read the report that says United will only have to pay 1 year to Moyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom