• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
The fuck I am reading?
Me saying that Martinez has to do more for the stability and future of your club. Lukaku is a very good grab but he'll be gone in the summer with no transfer fee. A replacement of equal quality with pl experience will cost you 30m which you don't have. Martinez hasn't strengthened Everton long term, he provided something to get through the season and thats it.

wedward

You seem like you want wenger gone. Who do we target? I'd certainly rather wenger leave a winner at Wembley then a loser who oversees us knocked out of the top 4.

He got his points by exploiting Moyes.

Jesus dude.

Did Wenger win his first league title by exploiting Bruce Rioch? Like, what the hell does that even mean?

They finished on 63 points last season. They have a solid chance of finishing on 76 this season. 13 points is a pretty good improvement.

With a shoestring budget he has done well with those loans. Who is to say he won't bring in some good loaned players this summer.

Me saying that Martinez has to do more for the stability and future of your club. Lukaku is a very good grab but he'll be gone in the summer with no transfer fee. A replacement of equal quality with pl experience will cost you 30m which you don't have. Martinez hasn't strengthened Everton long term, he provided something to get through the season and thats it.

It's his first season and you are expecting him to be building for the future. You don't think that is a crazy expectation?

jtb

Banned
You seem like you want wenger gone. Who do we target? I'd certainly rather wenger leave a winner at Wembley then a loser who oversees us knocked out of the top 4.

yeah, I am firmly in the #wengerout camp now. I don't know who we target but I don't think it has to be as difficult as we're making it out to be. the next manager doesn't also have to be here for the next 10 years—the youth project is basically dead anyways. they just need to be able to step in and get results.

I think Martinez would be an interesting candidate. I have no idea if he'd turn out to be the right man for the job or not; I'm pretty skeptical of this season, and his time at Wigan doesn't impress either, but he seems to be doing well with what he has. He's open minded and pragmatic and seems to be competent at his job. For the next two or three years? I could look at him and be relatively confident that it won't be a horrific train wreck. and I can't really ask for much more than that.

I might even go a step further and say he'd likely do a better job than Wenger would in those two years.

We're not competing for trophies. The last good team we beat in a European tie was Milan, which is, what, seven years ago now? So it's not like we're a European powerhouse. All a new manager would have to do is qualify for fourth. I don't think it's that hard of a job to step into. Even if everything goes horribly wrong and we do miss fourth place, we won't really have a Liverpool-esque time in PL wilderness if only because we don't have a whole lot to lose. We don't need a proven great manager. (which is good, because we're not getting one) A good one will do. And if they develop into a great one, all the better.

Clegg

Just read that Ian Ladyman article and it's really fucking bizarre. Moyes told two midfielders that they could leave in January even though we barely have any cm's. One of those midfielders is a proper senior player too. Must be either Carrick or Fletcher.

He fell out with Ferdinand because he was naive enough to rip into him in a conversation with another PL manager whilst Ferdinand was in earshot and could hear everything.

faridmon

so like a guy high with a glue...

Yes, There was some inheritance going on (duh), yes, we are going to have a challenge to find a striker, but come the fuck on!!!

We already gain the most points in a season sin more than 20 years, posted our first profit in 7 years, established nice footballing style while increasing the depth of our squad. 1 point to the 4th place with 3 games to come, already beaten more top teams than any of the Moyes' seasons and have frightened a lot of those top teams with top performances.

If you can't see any of that, then we have a term for the likes of you: a person with a cognitive dissonance syndrome.

DominoKid

Just read that Ian Ladyman article and it's really fucking bizarre. Moyes told two midfielders that they could leave in January even though we barely have any cm's. One of those midfielders is a proper senior player too. Must be either Carrick or Fletcher.

He fell out with Ferdinand because he was naive enough to rip into him in a conversation with another PL manager whilst Ferdinand was in earshot and could hear everything.

christ almighty Moyes.

faridmon

I think Martinez would be an interesting candidate. I have no idea if he'd turn out to be the right man for the job or not; I'm pretty skeptical of this season, and his time at Wigan doesn't impress either, but he seems to be doing well with what he has. He's open minded and pragmatic and seems to be competent at his job. For the next two or three years? I could look at him and be relatively confident that it won't be a horrific train wreck. and I can't really ask for much more than that.

I honestly think Martinez might fail at Arsenal, Not as big of a fail as Moyes' but a fail nontheless. Just because the expectation and the pressure are much higher.

He didn't decline Liverpool's job for nothing!

Salazar

Moyes, of course, had known that his drive down Carrington Lane on Tuesday morning would be his last. As he guided his Chevrolet Captiva SUV down that long, bleak road, past the outlying Manchester airport parking and the barren, muddy fields of the nearby riding school, he knew precisely that only disappointment lay at the far end.

:lol :lol

Banned Paper, I can't quit you

K1LLER7

Catching up on the stories now.

Fergie will "have a say" but the final decision rests with Woodward and the Glazers. So he doesn't have a say really. Also lol at asking him if Moyes should be sacked or not...after telling him he's being sacked anyway.

Why does Woodward tell the media everything. I honestly don't understand. It's been a day. So much shit has already been briefed. He's so fucking thick.
Woody has a Masters in Business Doe!

I want Van Gaal.
I've watched too many videos.
I've saved many gifs.
I want him to show Rooney his balls.
He looks like Wilbur.

Woodward don't fail us!

pulga

Banned
All you candy canes pining over Carlo are dumber than the bin-dippers stroking themselves at the thought of Isco

Lightning

Banned
so like a guy high with a glue...

Yes, There was some inheritance going on (duh), yes, we are going to have a challenge to find a striker, but come the fuck on!!!

We already gain the most points in a season sin more than 20 years, posted our first profit in 7 years, established nice footballing style while increasing the depth of our squad. 1 point to the 4th place with 3 games to come, already beaten more top teams than any of the Moyes' seasons and have frightened a lot of those top teams with top performances.

If you can't see any of that, then we have a term for the likes of you: a person with a cognitive dissonance syndrome.
Whoa.. he's done well for Everton's level but I'm talking about whether or not he could take Arsenal to the next step which is a lot harder to do than anything he done this season. There are certain aspects to what he's done that make me think it wouldn't work out. I'm not saying he's been crap for you guys or not been successful.

Wenger has delivered 3rd or 4th consistently, qualifies for next stage of the CL and gets slaughtered for it. Replacing him with a manager who could only achieve something similar is pointless. Lets see how Martinez handles Europe next season for example, see if he can balance all 4 competitions like Arsenal fans would expect, etc... that's what I mean.

Hopefully Martinez proves me wrong but next season we'll find out.

Miggy D has put together the interview questions for Woowar.

Q: 1. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Q: 2. What’s your playing philosophy?
Q: 3. What are your plans for the training ground?
Q: 4. What are your plans for the team on the pitch?
Q: 5. How would you confront a dissenting player?
Q: 6. How much influence would you allow established club figures?
Q: 7. What is your track record with youth players?
Q: 8. What’s the toughest question you’ve ever been asked by the press and how did you deal with it?
Q: 9. What is your conditioning regime like?

Just need to get someone interested now.

Lightning

Banned
You just said he hadn't done anything and hadn't improved Everton(despite the table saying the contrary) when I called you on it you said it was only because he exploited Moyes.
I said he hasn't done enough to show he can make the step up and had to do more.

K1LLER7

Juve-Bros, apparently Di Marzio(?) has said Sanchez will be moving to Juventus in the summer. Great signing if true.

Disappointed we aren't interested if Barca are selling him. Brilliant player. Just what we need too.

faridmon

Whoa.. he's done well for Everton's level but I'm talking about whether or not he could take Arsenal to the next step which is a lot harder to do than anything he done this season. There are certain aspects to what he's done that make me think it wouldn't work out. I'm not saying he's been crap for you guys or not been successful.

Wenger has delivered 3rd or 4th consistently, qualifies for next stage of the CL and gets slaughtered for it. Replacing him with a manager who could only achieve something similar is pointless. Lets see how Martinez handles Europe next season for example, see if he can balance all 4 competitions like Arsenal fans would expect, etc... that's what I mean.

Hopefully Martinez proves me wrong but next season we'll find out.

oh Pls

Anyway, I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Lets degrade him as whole since he only done fantastically well on a budget in his first season he have been a manager for a club that have been a dinosaur, acted one dimensional tactically under an ancient manager whom brain washed his player ( you might call well oiled btw) into play an astute system. Yeah, because we obviously gonna speak hypothetical and see him as his only success at such club.

We all are very curios about his next season at the club, yes, there have been a plenty of Managers who had one fantastic season and next fell of the cliff. But let us not undermine his management this season just because he haven't proved you anything

Because he doesn't need to prove a shit thing since you ain't getting him. Personally I'll be happy with 4 - 6 position next season so piss off. Why are we even comparing bloody Arsenal to Everton?

wedward

I said he hasn't done enough to show he can make the step up and had to do more.

That was never the argument.

You said he hadn't improved the team. They have a chance of finishing 13 points better off than last season. Almost every Everton player is having their best season.

Nobody said he is ready for the step up. I said in 2 years we would have to see.

faridmon

Its his fucking first year. What the the hell are you expecting him to do? Win the League?

Nobody said he is ready for the step up. I said in 2 years we would have to see.

Yeah, even I said he would fail at Arsenal. I don't what is Lightning smoking?

Lightning pls, you are better than Willbur level of arguments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom