• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
I think I trust Flappy over Chesney but honestly we haven't had a hideous keeper error in quite some time. Mannone deputized well last season, also. don't really care who starts; might as well start Flappy. his last game for the club, he's earned that start I think.

K1LLER7

I'm eating Custard Creams at 4am, watching Pokemon battles on YouTube. What's wrong with me?
Ventured into that Chris brown dancer thread at 2.30am.

Clicked on one of the links, took me to Youtube of 2 Fellani-Like Afro'd twins. Spent the last hour and a half going through dance battles......Then I saw Wooden's gif of John Terry dancing and couldn't stop laughing.

Think it's time for bed.

LegoArmo

Yes... bed. I'm going to lie in bed and listen to the Bombcast. I hope tomorrow the football world is as eventful as it's been the last 2 days.

where's Kikarian?

May 17th, Venom in action, friend.

1.gif

oh yeah.

I'm not sure I quite understand how calling Chelsea's tactics yesterday 'parking the bus' as shorthand is any lazier than the usual one-line tactical analysis you get on a messageboard

Especially when it's as valid as it was last night. Any team is well within their rights to do it (especially in such circumstances), but viewers are also well within their rights to bemoan the fact that it ruins the spectacle (a hefty portion of that blame goes to Atletico as well though for such a one-dimensional attempt to break them down)

Pretty disappointed with Costa yesterday, needed to make things happen, but he was happy to just stand between the centrebacks for 90 minutes, waiting for chances to present themselves. Bizarre tactic considering the general poor standard of Atletico's crossing last night, and the aerial dominance of Terry, Cahill, Mikel and later Luiz. They needed someone alongside him to offer a different threat, someone who could run at Chelsea with enough close-control to somewhat negate their compact shape. I think they have the players to have done that, but it never happened. As it was, they just wellied it at Raul Garcia's waist for most of the game

subtles

After last year's knockout rounds we were due a disappointment as far as spectacles go.

My heart still hasn't recovered from the Dortmund-Malaga/Madrid games.

I'm not sure I quite understand how calling Chelsea's tactics yesterday 'parking the bus' as shorthand is any lazier than the usual one-line tactical analysis you get on a messageboard

Especially when it's as valid as it was last night. Any team is well within their rights to do it (especially in such circumstances), but viewers are also well within their rights to bemoan the fact that it ruins the spectacle (a hefty portion of that blame goes to Atletico as well though for such a one-dimensional attempt to break them down)

Pretty disappointed with Costa yesterday, needed to make things happen, but he was happy to just stand between the centrebacks for 90 minutes, waiting for chances to present themselves. Bizarre tactic considering the general poor standard of Atletico's crossing last night, and the aerial dominance of Terry, Cahill, Mikel and later Luiz. They needed someone alongside him to offer a different threat, someone who could run at Chelsea with enough close-control to somewhat negate their compact shape. I think they have the players to have done that, but it never happened. As it was, they just wellied it at Raul Garcia's waist for most of the game

I think we did play very defensively but we also did try and counter it's just Torres is wank. I don't we parked the bus as bad as say West Ham did against us earlier in the season, they came to just get a point not even try and nick a goal from us. We actually did try and had a couple of efforts!

RV8Nklb.png

OnUdZA8.png

K1LLER7

I think we did play very defensively but we also did try and counter it's just Torres is wank. I don't we parked the bus as bad as say West Ham did against us earlier in the season, they came to just get a point not even try and nick a goal from us. We actually did try and had a couple of efforts!

RV8Nklb.png

OnUdZA8.png
Harsh to blame Torres.

The service to him was pretty crap for the majority of the game. Thought he did well as the loan man up top, esp' with the little he had to work with.

subtles

Harsh to blame Torres.

The service to him was pretty crap for the majority of the game. Thought he did well as the loan man up top, esp' with the little he had to work with.

I think he would have done better if he got the ball on the ground rather than in the air.

He looked sharp the few few times he had space on the ball.

Barzul

Relax dude. I'm just taking the piss on Wilshere. He's not as good as Ramsey but a good player just the same.

Who knows which Arsenal will turn up... hopefully the Ozil, Ramsey, Cazorla and Podolski boss Arsenal turns up.

Arse fans, who should start in goal? Has to be Szczesny for me.

Tottenham, fan? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha that's a good one.
Fabianski starts. He's done nothing wrong in goal and it's Hull ffs. If it was like City or Liverpool I'd understand going with Szcz. Fabianski got us here with those 2 saves, he starts.

Salazar

Crooks and Lineker and mini-Redknapp and a bunch of Liverpool relics on the radio bleating about Moyes not being given more time.

Do one.

Lightning

Banned
I think I trust Flappy over Chesney but honestly we haven't had a hideous keeper error in quite some time. Mannone deputized well last season, also. don't really care who starts; might as well start Flappy. his last game for the club, he's earned that start I think.
I wouldn't start Flappy because it will be his last game for the club. Should give the trophy to the player who has a future with the club.

There's this self-help book

Level 5 Leadership: Leaders who are humble, but driven to do what's best for the company.

First Who, Then What: Get the right people on the bus, then figure out where to go. Finding the right people and trying them out in different positions.

Confront the Brutal Facts: The Stockdale paradox—Confront the brutal truth of the situation, yet at the same time, never give up hope.

Hedgehog Concept: Three overlapping circles: What lights your fire ("passion")? What could you be best in the world at ("best at")? What makes you money ("driving resource")?

Culture of Discipline: Rinsing the cottage cheese.

Technology Accelerators: Using technology to accelerate growth, within the three circles of the hedgehog concept.

The Flywheel: The additive effect of many small initiatives; they act on each other like compound interest.

MOYES

Holy fuck. That explains a lot. Let's just pretend this entire thing never happened.

The bootlicking of nutters on RAWK never ceases to amaze.

"Scribes"

The place has gone well downhill since they introduced that fake meritocratic shite. People only bother to read posts by the 'Scribes', making the rest of us feel like it's not worth posting.

You only get made a Scribe if you can be bothered to write essays that the mods (hypocritical, Draconian knobends in the main) happen to agree with.

Utter bollocks. Especially since they introduced the system when the forum was actually at it's best. A lot of the non-analytical Scribe posts aren't even well-written imo, they've just been written with fucking thesaurus.com open in another tab

Salazar

MOYES

Holy fuck. That explains a lot. Let's just pretend this entire thing never happened.

It really does. I can understand incredulity at the sight of the Manchester United manager reading (and needing) a self-help book, but when you look into the nature of the particular book, it's just so, so Moyes. It would have been wholly self-affirmation. His copy is probably dense with excitable, approving annotation.

In each of these dramatic, remarkable, good-to-great corporate transformations, we found the same thing: There was no miracle moment. Instead, a down-to-earth, pragmatic, committed-to-excellence process—a framework—kept each company, its leaders, and its people on track for the long haul. In each case, it was the triumph of the Flywheel Effect over the Doom Loop, the victory of steadfast discipline over the quick fix.

Maxwell told his management team that there would only be seats on the bus for A-level people who were willing to put out A-plus effort. He interviewed every member of the team. He told them all the same thing: It was going to be a tough ride, a very demanding trip. If they didn’t want to go, fine; just say so. Now’s the time to get off the bus, he said

So long as we can choose the people we want to put on our own minibus, each of us can create a pocket of greatness.

I'm definitely keeping Doom Loop, though. That phrase is a fucking winner. And a potential Clegg tag.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
One of my favourite CL memories is Marcelo Zalayeta knocking Barca and Madrid out :lol

fuck, just typing it makes me laugh

http://www.juventus.com/wps/wcm/connect/639b2742-7696-447e-a0ac-918caee9b601/small_120806-193650_to060812spo_1279.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=639b2742-7696-447e-a0ac-918caee9b601_220420141713[IMG]

Soon.[/QUOTE]

their shade of red is delicious.

Wow the new England shirt was made with the beer gut in mind it's a lot wider in comparison to normal Nike shirts in large should of gone medium.

Blablurn

Didnt know there was a story between the two of them

The night Real Madrid won their 32nd league title, two seasons ago, will be remembered for an unsavoury incident that will be fresh in the mind when Cristiano Ronaldo and Javi Martínez lock horns again for Real and Bayern this week.

After 'Los Blancos' cantered to a 3-0 victory over Athletic de Bilbao at San Mamés, Martínez and Ronaldo became embroiled in a spat that ended with the Portuguese forward making an "up yours" gesture at the Spanish midfielder.

It later transpired that the anchorman, who moved to Bayern two summers ago, had told Ronaldo "I'd tone down the celebrations, I'm a world champion and you're not". The pair will have the chance to renew hostilities on Wednesday.

Read more: The night Ronaldo told Javi Martínez "up yours" - MARCA.com (English version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom