• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

It's incredible that this will be the third consecutive final that Bayern plays in if they go through to the final. They have the chance to be the first team in Europe to win the Champions League twice in a row.

At the same time, Real Madrid has la decima to win, which has been our most important title to win for years. We have pretty much accepted that the league is in Atletico's hands, but Champions League really is up in the air. Even though we started horribly in the league, we've regained our footing and are heading towards a great season. Bayern Munich is the best team in the world right now, so we couldn't ask for anything more.

There are so many nice stories around Bayerns and Madrid Champions League run. And in the end Mourinhos parking bus wins it, innit? :/ The most tragic story of all time.

Jack cw

Agreed. I just hope our DMs won't be Kroos and Schweinsteiger, which never works. One of them has to either be Lahm or Martinez. (Kroos should play a little higher up). I wouldn't mind last season's midfield at all. That would be our best bet to stop counters from happening.

Anyway, Pep will deliver. Or so I hope.

Such a shame Thiago is missing.

Thiago injured is the worst thing that could happen, but we have to do it without him. I still think Pep will start with the Heynckes formation from last year. It worked great agaisnt Dortmund in the league in December and Martinez owning Modric and/or Isco should defuse Madrid considerably.

Jack cw

There are so many nice stories around Bayerns and Madrid Champions League run. And in the end Mourinhos parking bus wins it, innit? :/ The most tragic story of all time.

Football died yesterday again. That destructive kind of play is so sad to watch. Its funny that many here were laughing about Bayern having a hard time with United playing the same bullshit tactics. Even Atletico couldnt find a way to pierce through that wall of Chelsea. I hope we see a Bayern Chelsea final again and show that football lives this time.

King_Moc

Banned
Football died yesterday again. That destructive kind of play is so sad to watch. Its funny that many here were laughing about Bayern having a hard time with United playing the same bullshit tactics. Even Atletico couldnt find a way to pierce through that wall of Chelsea. I hope we see a Bayern Chelsea final again and show that football lives this time.

I don't see the problem, it's just tactics. It's Mourinho being a hypocrite that's irritating.

Blablurn

That would rock. Especially if Thiago comes back.

Football would truly live. Full time whistle blows, an injured John Terry strips off his tracksuit to reveal a full kit as he runs onto the pitch.

kmax

real_madrid_and_bayern_munchen_wallpaper_by_youssefhesham_gfx11-d76r6nz.jpg

fml that I'm missing this tonight as I'm working the late shift. Will have to dl it tomorrow first thing in the morning and avoid the internet like the plague.

Jack cw

Again, they didn't.

They were playing a 4-5-1 most of the time. 2 lines on 10 yards distance making it a 9-0-1 when Bayern was trying to attack. You are right though, United were even more destructive than Chelsea yesterday, but not by much.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
They were playing a 4-5-1 most of the time. 2 lines on 10 yards distance making it a 9-0-1 when Bayern was trying to attack. You are right though, United were even more destructive than Chelsea yesterday, but not by much.

Meh, I don't feel like arguing about this again. United didn't park the bus, end of.

subtles

Pep and Bayern once again fight white darkness.

A philosopher and his men, soaked in the blood of their own league brethren.

Hear the lion roar.

Jack cw

Meh, I don't feel like arguing about this again. United didn't park the bus, end of.

Hahaha, yeah right. Well, technically they didnt for 17 minutes, thats when we scored 4 goals, but the another 163 minutes were the defenition of parking the bus.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I can't decide which one is less annoying: Two CL titles in a row or LA DECIMA.
Forza Bayern RAWR

Don't do that pls. We'll be stuck with the fat turd as our main striker.
loool don't worry, it's highly unlikely we're going for RVP for various reasons.
http://i.minus.com/ibcuVgACRFljsj.gif[IMG]
<3[/QUOTE]
what a doll <3
[quote="Jack cw, post: 109181643"]Hahaha, yeah right. Well, technically they didnt for 17 minutes, thats when we scored 4 goals, but the another 163 minutes were the defenition of parking the bus.[/QUOTE]
what part of "you forced them into that shape" don't you get? [B]Sie sie in dieser Form mit Tiki taka gezwungen [/B]

Lightning

Banned
Why are you only focusing on transfers in this respect? He brought Barkley and Stones through in a way I doubt Moyes would have done. Barkley had been good enough to play for two years but Moyes didn't think he was better than an out of position Fellaini, Darren Gibson or Phil fucking Neville. He would have shit his pants at the thought of a 19 year old center back who does anything other than hoof it when the ball is passed to him. Martinez made both of them regular starters.
Martinez is good at giving young players a chance, he showed that at Wigan as well. Moyes was the one who signed Stones though so he clearly saw something there, same as Baines, Mirallas, Naismith and Coleman. All I'm saying is that Martinez has much more to prove and he's yet to make the Coutinho or Sturridge like transfer yet. He'll get his time but at the moment he only has his loans, to build a proper foundation for Everton he will need to do more than that.

So when I read Martinez is "great" in the transfer market, all I ask is based on what?

Hixx

VITO MANNONE was crowned Sunderland Supporters’ Player of the Year at the Stadium of Light last night, succeeding fellow keeper Simon Mignolet to the accolade.

AFTER completing the formalities of his £2million move from Arsenal last summer, Vito Mannone and his girlfriend went apartment hunting. First on the list was the property just vacated by Mannone’s predecessor as Sunderland goalkeeper, Simon Mignolet, after the Belgian’s departure to Liverpool.

The place was perfect. But there was just one hitch - the price tag.

Mannone had only been signed as a back-up to Keiren Westwood and his wage packet reflected that, after Sunderland took their chances on a stopper whose previous fleeting appearances in the Premier League had not necessarily convinced.

The Italian reluctantly had to pass on the lofty rents of Mignolet’s former home and turn his attention elsewhere. But the memories of that brief tour with the estate agent in tow didn’t disappear. Mannone agreed with his girlfriend that he would use that luxurious abode as extra motivation to make the grade at Sunderland and prove himself as a Premier League performer.

The trappings which accompany life as a top flight stopper have merely been a side dish for Mannone though. His focus has been on his football and how that has showed, despite Sunderland’s rollercoaster season. After the travails of yet another campaign at the wrong end of the table, patience is thin on the terraces with the current set of players at Gus Poyet’s disposal.

But Mannone is a notable exception.

Since establishing himself as Sunderland number one, barely a match has gone by without Mannone’s name being chanted to the tune of the White Stripes’ Seven Nation Army. Being crowned Sunderland’s Player of the Year merely rubber-stamps Mannone’s place in the the affections of supporters. He was an understandable and overwhelming winner, albeit Fabio Borini, Wes Brown, Ki Sung-Yueng and Phil Bardsley could make decent claims.

The great thing about Mannone is that the feeling is mutual. In an era where there is huge cynicism about the motivation of Premier League footballers and their commitment to the cause, no derogatory accusations can be levelled at Mannone. He is one of the most engaging, honest and appreciative figures Sunderland have boasted on their books for years. While moans and groans invariably emerge from the lips of players at any club at the list of off-the-field demands - sponsors hand-shakes, press interviews etc - Mannone has welcomed them all.

After being almost an after-thought as third-choice stopper at Arsenal, Mannone has seen the other side of football. He knows not to take anything for granted. Even after first arriving at the Stadium of Light, Mannone was something of an overlooked figure.

While Paolo Di Canio had flirted with using his fellow Italian during pre-season, it always looked to be merely a tactic to keep Westwood on his toes. The Republic of Ireland international was always pencilled in to take Mignolet’s spot as Sunderland number one. But the likeable Westwood was almost too eager to impress in Sunderland’s sorry start to the season, albeit he was clearly a victim of the circumstances.

From the moment Mannone entered the fray for the nine-man Black Cats at Hull City and acrobatically palmed away a couple of long-range efforts, he looked a natural fit. Inevitably, the 26-year-old benefited from the upturn in Sunderland’s fortunes under Poyet. But as Sunderland’s results improved and the clean sheets began to add up, Mannone’s confidence soared. He has been the one permanent signing among last summer’s questionable shopping spree to have paid off. There were spectacular saves on a par with Mignolet’s highlights reel from last season, while he was also sufficiently comfortable with his distribution that he was an easy fit for Poyet’s possession-based philosophy.

And then there was Mannone’s crowning moment at Old Trafford. That penalty shoot-out success in the Capital One Cup semi-final second leg was one for the ages. The 9,000 Sunderland fans crammed inside Old Trafford hailed Mannone and then his team-mates similarly burst into song, chanting his name, when the players returned to the dressing room.

Even having to wait a couple of hours after the game to complete a mandatory drugs test, didn’t dampen Mannone’s mood.

Ironically, it was Manchester United who had been linked as one possible suitor for Mannone, albeit the former Hull loanee surely would have snubbed the prospect of resuming life as a bench-warmer for one of the Premier League’s heavyweights.

But Mannone’s form for Sunderland hasn’t gone unnoticed. Should Sunderland’s potentially remarkable reprieve in the relegation battle fall flat and the Black Cats do indeed plummet into the Championship, then there will be a fear that the vultures will circle the carcass for Mannone, who only has a year remaining on his contract. That howler at Manchester City last week may just put off some of them. If there was a blessing to come from such an agonising moment, then that could be it. But Mannone won’t be in any hurry to leave the Stadium of Light.

He has formed a genuine bond with these supporters, particularly after the way they continued to chant his name after the mistake at the Etihad Stadium.

It was no surprise that the love-in was reciprocated last night.

A) How fucking much were we paying Mignolet!?
B) There are some nice houses and estates in the North East but I did not think there would be an apartment out of reach of a PL footballer.

bjaelke

Alex Thomas @alexthomascnn
FIFA will allow Barcelona to sign players this summer while club appeals against alleged breaches of rules for signing youth players.

Jack cw

Aside from the game at the Etihad, Bayern have played very badly against English teams this season, that doesn't surprise me.

Final is another situation. This would be a once in a lifetime chance for revenge and while we were struggeling against the English clubs we still made it past them rather clear. Arsenal, United and City are still some of the best clubs in the CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom