• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does packmas even mean? It sounds shit.

Fucking Atletico. Looks like there'll be a choice of 3 emintently knobendish teams to choose from for the final. Can't see them getting the needed result at Stamford Bridge if they were shut out that easily at home.

Cause you already made the main point. I wanted to add some more.

I think chelsea will demand at least 30m and get it. But yes, he will go for sure and although I love Luiz, that crazy fucker, I do not mind him leaving.
He's good. Just not the CB you want to build your defence around. If you had him alongside a prime captain leader legend I reckon he would have been very very good.

Cahill has stepped up and become quite accomplished. I'm surprised.

kmax

You should be able to get Luiz pretty easily as long as you're willing to pay £20m+.

Mourinho obv doesn't rate him as a CB.

Blah, blasphemy. I'm a Real Madrid fan!

Anyway, Barca's sporting director Zubizarreta is notoriously bad to bring players over to the catalans, so it's going to be interesting to see how they handle it this summer. If they fuck up summer and they fail to win the appeal, it's going to be a long ass winter for them. They need to secure that leaking hole of a defense right away.

Hixx

Keane back in the PL would be ace. He's so entertaining and a complete cunt.

Couple of stories from Dwight Yorke's autobiography always make me laugh.

We were playing away and we were getting beat - still in the Championship I think. Anyway, Keane walked in at half time and asked the kit man to put up the tactics board. Paces around a bit and then after it's put up, he runs at it and karate kicks it down
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Think it was the same half time were he had a fight with Dean Whitehead after criticising him for being a shit captain and screaming "I CAN'T TRUST ANY OF YOU!"
KuGsj.gif

And then when he got sacked, Yorke texted him with condolences.

The reply? "Go fuck yourself."

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Aren't they 10 points clear in third? Seems fairly comfortable to me. And when you consider Juventus have made Serie A into a one team league, they are basically second.

Only recently! Half of Viola's team died a few weeks ago :lol

Forget about Juve, how can you be 14 points behind Roma after spending 100 million.

Aren't they 10 points clear in third? Seems fairly comfortable to me. And when you consider Juventus have made Serie A into a one team league, they are basically second.

I thought they'd be better than they are tbh. Their defense is horrendous, there's a gap of about 15 yards between every defender at all times, and Inler gives them fuck all help

justjohn

Keane back in the PL would be ace. He's so entertaining and a complete cunt.

Couple of stories from Dwight Yorke's autobiography always make me laugh.

We were playing away and we were getting beat - still in the Championship I think. Anyway, Keane walked in at half time and asked the kit man to put up the tactics board. Paces around a bit and then after it's put up, he runs at it and karate kicks it down
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Think it was the same half time were he had a fight with Dean Whitehead after criticising him for being a shit captain and screaming "I CAN'T TRUST ANY OF YOU!"
KuGsj.gif

And then when he got sacked, Yorke texted him with condolences.

The reply? "Go fuck yourself."

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
Lol. Brilliant.

Pachimari

Hmm, I'm not happy about being a big doubt for tonight due to flu. Cristiano might play.

We at least need Benzema, Di Maria and Modric to be on form.

Reckon there'll be plenty of speculation of Agger to Napoli this summer. Maybe Johnson as well, though he wants a move to Spain if you join the dots :p

Anyone know how long Skrtel has left on his contract?

L1NETT

Keane is a complete nutjob, don;t think he is manager material to be honest.

Like I was right surprised anyone made Duncan Ferguson a coach. Both nutters.

--

Happy birthday Arnold

caesar

Banned
Foxes won the championship today, woot. Completely crushed it... If I wasn't living in Korea I'd be lining up to buy a season ticket.

Zabojnik

I believe. I just hope la bestia negra is hungry tonight. This is going to be the first world class opposition Real plays against.

Well, fuck you too. We're world class. Shut up, we are!!!

I don't want anyone or anything from Barcelona.

Alexis to Juve? Lulz, he's probably just trying to up his wages a bit.

The Brazzers version of this would be much more interesting.

:lol

Nah. I'm still debating with myself if I really need one.

I lost that debate with myself. I'm getting one in the next week or so. Probably after I'm done with DS2.

Hixx

I lost that debate with myself. I'm getting one in the next week or so. Probably after I'm done with DS2.

The brazzers version is much more interesting. It's funny and impressive at the same time.

sohois

So he's 2nd in a league crapper than Serie A.

Great job.

learn2comprehend Viva, Juventus are on their own like Bayern and PSG are, these teams are so much more powerful than the rest they may as well be in a different system.

Only recently! Half of Viola's team died a few weeks ago :lol

Forget about Juve, how can you be 14 points behind Roma after spending 100 million.

Roma are just the Alteti/Liverpool of the Serie A. And as has been pointed out, Napoli are the Spurs. Difference is, Napoli brought in good players and are in the CL.

Blablurn

nice!!! pls post how u like it then

I'm not sure I quite understand how calling Chelsea's tactics yesterday 'parking the bus' as shorthand is any lazier than the usual one-line tactical analysis you get on a messageboard

Especially when it's as valid as it was last night. Any team is well within their rights to do it (especially in such circumstances), but viewers are also well within their rights to bemoan the fact that it ruins the spectacle (a hefty portion of that blame goes to Atletico as well though for such a one-dimensional attempt to break them down)

Pretty disappointed with Costa yesterday, needed to make things happen, but he was happy to just stand between the centrebacks for 90 minutes, waiting for chances to present themselves. Bizarre tactic considering the general poor standard of Atletico's crossing last night, and the aerial dominance of Terry, Cahill, Mikel and later Luiz. They needed someone alongside him to offer a different threat, someone who could run at Chelsea with enough close-control to somewhat negate their compact shape. I think they have the players to have done that, but it never happened. As it was, they just wellied it at Raul Garcia's waist for most of the game

I think it's because unlike what you said, that "It's as valid as it was last night", the vast majority of moaners are using the term as a short hand way of criticising the tactic. With many even going as far as suggesting -- as they often do on here -- that it's the "wrong" way of playing football, along with hints of the expected equation of, money in = expansive, free flowing football out.

How we set up last night was José Mourinho to a T. It's Chelsea's winning UCL campaign version 2.0. So for people to tune in, knowing how we are likely to set up, knowing we were missing our biggest attacking threats, knowing what Atletico were likely to produce, what exactly did they have in mind? What spectacle did they think they were about to take in?

As others on here correctly stated last night, too many modern football fans have no interest in the defensive side of the game. Defence seems to have become a dirty word. Unfortunately for those people, this is how tactics work, you do what you must to win. But you know it's bad when you have people saying...

...so boring, there is more to football than getting results.

Mourinho's Chelsea don't owe anybody a good show. The complaints are made even more ridiculous when you consider just how successful Chelsea have been in European competition in recent years. It's all well and good complaining about the manner in which we go about getting results, but at least we're there, in the mix. And any supporter who wants to pretend like they would have it any other way were they in semi-finals is either a liar or an idiot, maybe both. Because I'd rather be the rough looking Chelsea side possibly on our way to lifting our third European trophy in as many years than the gate keepers of beautiful football with precisely squat. Going out in style is still going out.

We could go in to the whole José hypocrisy bollocks too, but whatever, football manager, innit.

I think Martin Samuel summed it up quite nicely.

Dull football is only truly dull when it fails. A goalless draw away from home to the best team in La Liga isn’t truly dull.

Would Chelsea win La Liga? No. Then are Atletico Madrid a better team than Chelsea right now? Yes.

So do Chelsea have any realistic hope of coming to the Vicente Calderon stadium and playing Atletico Madrid off the park with attacking, cavalier football? No.

So do they have to find a way to get them back to Stamford Bridge and win there? Yes. And that is exactly what they did.

What is the difference, then, between Mourinho dull and Sam Allardyce dull?

Well, playing negative football to secure a mid-table finish seems pretty unambitious all round.

Circling the wagons against a team that knocked out Barcelona in the last round in a bid to reach the Champions League final may be a necessary evil.

Zabojnik

learn2comprehend Viva, Juventus are on their own like Bayern and PSG are, these teams are so much more powerful than the rest they may as well be in a different system.

Roma are just the Alteti/Liverpool of the Serie A. And as has been pointed out, Napoli are the Spurs. Difference is, Napoli brought in good players and are in the CL.

The difference between us and Bayern is (amongst others, of course) is that we're "much more powerful" than the rest at the moment. It's not like Inter and especially Milan are going to suck forever. They never did, historically. Also, Napoli are on the rise, as are Roma with the new owners. If this keeps up - and I'm positive it will - Serie A will be very competitive in the next few years. Hopefully the internal competition will yield positive results in Europe as well. It already has, with Napoli. Roma will do good in CL too, I reckon.

nice!!! pls post how u like it then

I surely will. At the moment I'm trying to decide what TV to get. I'm locked in an impossible back and forth between Sony's 55" W905A and Pansonic's VT60 plasma.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
thought we deserved at least 6 points from our two games with them. I'm sure Suen agrees.
I hate how everyone is using us to bump their wages :( Clubs are really fucking stupid falling for it too. They should ask themselves, is that player worth more than 15 million? Yes? Then Juve won't buy him. IT'S THAT SIMPLE
I want to try this, but it's a lot of effort for just a kiss.
after you're done with DS2 you're going to play Demon's :mad:

Feorax

Lots of sponsors and CL money. Think £60 milllion might be a bit conservative this summer. Might just be to regulate ourselves for FFP though.

Also, Merry Christmas Arnie!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
We're much better than the rest, but in the grand scheme of things, we're only 6 points.

and Rafa did grab 3 out of those 6. His Napoli was dropping points to mid-table and relegation threatened sides, that's just poor really.

I like Rafa to be honest, he seems like a really classy cunt. I would rather compete with him over Allegri or Mazzarri.

José Mourinho;109187301 said:
I think it's because unlike what you said, that "It's as valid as it was last night", the vast majority of moaners are using the term as a short hand way of criticising the tactic. With many even going as far as suggesting -- as they often do on here -- that it's the "wrong" way of playing football, along with hints of the expected equation of, money in = expansive, free flowing football out.

How we set up last night was José Mourinho to a T. It's Chelsea's winning UCL campaign version 2.0. So for people to tune in, knowing how we are likely to set up, knowing we were missing our biggest attacking threats, knowing what Atletico were likely to produce, what exactly did they have in mind? What spectacle did they think they were about to take in?

As others on here correctly stated last night, too many modern football fans have no interest in the defensive side of the game. Defence seems to have become a dirty word. Unfortunately for those people, this is how tactics work, you do what you must to win. But you know it's bad when you have people saying...

Mourinho's Chelsea don't owe anybody a good show. The complaints are made even more ridiculous when you consider just how successful Chelsea have been in European competition in recent years. It's all well and good complaining about the manner in which we go about getting results, but at least we're there, in the mix. And any supporter who wants to pretend like they would have it any other way were they in semi-finals is either a liar or an idiot, maybe both. Because I'd rather be the rough looking Chelsea side possibly on our way to lifting our third European trophy in as many years than the gate keepers of beautiful football with precisely squat. Going out in style is still going out.

We could go in to the whole José hypocrisy bollocks too, but whatever, football manager, innit.

I think Martin Samuel summed it up quite nicely.

Do you not feel that Chelsea with their expensive manager and very expensive team should perhaps not be hiding from an impoverished AM side though?

Like if you spend all this fucking money to then be outshone performance and attacking wise by a team that is struggling financially, does that not maybe stick in the craw at some level that these defensive performances are what you get for that obscene amount of money?

Pretty sure that's the reason for which Roman fired Mourinho the first time.

Do you not feel that Chelsea with their expensive manager and very expensive team should perhaps not be hiding from an impoverished AM side though?

Like if you spend all this fucking money to then be outshone performance and attacking wise by a team that is struggling financially, does that not maybe stick in the craw at some level that these defensive performances are what you get for that obscene amount of money?

Pretty sure that's the reason for which Roman fired Mourinho the first time.

Cause Roman was a dumb fuck. Although that was clearly not the only reasons, the reasons also being Mourinho being very unhappy with the players getting bought and the results being shit.

and no, opening yourself up to counters against Atletico would have been suicide, got no football moral obligations to anyone because of the money spent.

Fady K

Happy bday to you Arnie, and as we are likely not to get it (and as we will likely lose bad at Anfield due to missing our main keeper and main defender and possibly best player Hazard), you and the other liverpool fans all over the world will have deserved this emphatic title win.

Regarding yesterday's game, all I'll say is I absolutely love the Chelsea fans in here. Jose Mourinho aka Kyle, Steve, TrueBlue, Woodenlung, Qin, etc. you guys absolutely rule and your posts are a joy to read.

And, as is the case always, Yurt rules and Wilbury's epic posts to those who criticize "parking the bus" own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom