• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
but you're about to humiliate a Liverpool fan, who lost a dare...how can you pass this up as a United fan!

Now we're talking! YES something like this! :p

I guess it would be like something Walshy says. Make him wear a United shirt, or stand in the street with a sign saying "Steven Gerrard is a cunt"

Wilbur

Banned

Scum

That Guardian article also says Evra may stay for one more season to help aid the transition to Shaw.

FLm9W.jpg

It's insane - and of course we're super-scared of paying as much for a quality non-PL midfielder (i.e. Herrera) - but I can see it happening. Young. British. Hyped. British! I can definitely see it happening.

I wouldn't be too upset about the 30m price-tag so long as there's no opportunity cost to buying two CMs (!!!), a CB and maybe a powerful winger. So yeah, might be concerned.

I hope we don’t try to do too much this summer. We should identify the most urgent areas of concern, which are pretty obvious, and pursue players there. For me this would be a LB, CB, and 2 CM’s. We can’t “retool” the squad in just one window. And it’s impossible to get every signing right. If we have this apparent £200m, don’t spend it all in one go. I also think that whilst our squad is lacking, it isn’t as bad as people have been suggesting and we can get a lot more out of it. And not on a, Fergie gets every drop of blood out of his players sense. Jones, Smalling, Welbeck, Rafael. These guys are young and talented players. They might not be the best talents but they have hardly improved in the last 3 seasons and that means the coaching and opportunities haven’t been right for them. I might be way off but I think there’s a chance to bring these guys along in a new team with some support brought in around them.

Here, how do United fans feel about Ferdinand now that it looks like a younger player was/is the leak?

Was crucified for it, like.

The same because he has been responsible for leaks this year and last even outside of the line-ups.

A fantastic player, better defender than Vidic for me in his prime. But he's always been a twat. There was a spell where he was a real leader for the team, a 2 or 3 year spell. Halcyon days.

Time to move on.

Wilbur

Banned
Agreed with Viva. Don't need to fuck about with the entire squad, there's a few positions that need urgent care and that's it. Shaw, a CB and two CMs. Assuming that we'd be spending 30m on Shaw and - for arguments sake - the equivalent on Carvalho, we wouldn't need to spend the same on a centre back considering what we already have.

we're gonna make it

we're all gonna make it

Also agreed about Rio > Vida when it comes to prime.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Former Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen says David Moyes "probably underestimated the magnitude of his position" at Manchester United.
The former Fulham manager tells CNN: "I tried to explain to David that it would be like going from steering a yacht to a cruise liner.
"[Sir Alex] Ferguson adapted to the role - he learned how to delegate and trust. He was very good at stepping back to see the bigger picture and making sure the cruise liner stayed on course. When you manage other clubs you are probably able to be more hands-on."

Moyes really should have kept more of the coaches around

Agreed with Viva. Don't need to fuck about with the entire squad, there's a few positions that need urgent care and that's it. Shaw, a CB and two CMs. Assuming that we'd be spending 30m on Shaw and - for arguments sake - the equivalent on Carvalho, we wouldn't need to spend the same on a centre back considering what we already have.

we're gonna make it

we're all gonna make it

Also agreed about Rio > Vida when it comes to prime.

We need wingers.

So bad.

So bad.

LvG will demand them.

Wilbur

Banned
Didn't Ferguson also get more time to grow accustomed to the position than Moyes? I think replacing existing staff with your own should not be the issue, that's pretty common.

He did get more time, but he didn't take the champions to seventh place. Comparing Ferguson and Moyes' early win percentage records is a ludicrous way of going about things, and I've seen a fair few pieces and Twitter berks doing it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Didn't Ferguson also get more time to grow accustomed to the position than Moyes? I think replacing existing staff with your own should not be the issue, that's pretty common.
It's common but in a transition as big as this he needed people around him who could guide him into the role, keeping giggs and Neville isn't the same as their perspective is from a players point of view' not a coaches, it was too much change too soon.

Hixx

Man United weren't the biggest club in the country when Ferguson took over. Meulensteen comparing Ferguson taking over United in the 80s to Moyes taking over now is so ridiculously stupid.

Circumstances are completely different.

Wilbur

Banned
assuming Chelsea get who they need, and Man U do too etc, who do you see dropping out of the top 4 next season if any?

I think it's a given that Chelsea and City absolutely must and will get it every season, and with Mourinho in charge I couldn't see Chelsea dropping. City haven't been anywhere near as strong as I thought they would be this season.

Liverpool and Arsenal then are left by default. Liverpool certainly need a stronger squad considering they'll be playing in Europe now, so the added load of that could impact, and we don't really know what's going on with Wenger yet. I'd argue that Liverpool are the most susceptible despite this year.

Need pace. The match versus Everton showed what it will look like with those three. Lovely possession, fuck all penetration.

Too many chefs.

To be fair we did have braindead Buttner and Smalling on the flanks as well. Replace them with Rafael and Shaw and that's a real decent injection of overlapping pace.

Wedr have to wait and see who Arsenal and Liverpool manage to get. We can't discount Everton or Spurs either.

you're right about that. When you think of all the good players and Managers now. Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton, Totteham, Man Utd. Part of me wonders if possible the premier league should get more European cup places.

We need wingers.

So bad.

So bad.

LvG will demand them.
I don't think we need them THAT badly. We definitely need some more strength there...but not as badly as we do in the other areas. I would much rather make sure we got the suitable level of player and focusing investment in defence and CM. We have good attacking players, a bit samey granted...but they're good and can create and score goals if we get a damn tune out of them.

assuming Chelsea get who they need, and Man U do too etc, who do you see dropping out of the top 4 next season if any?

Arsenal are the most prone.

City and Chelsea will be fine save any disaster. I see Liverpool maintaining and growing. They've found their mojo now. Don't think they'll be plain sailing or anything but they're going forwards.

Arsenal are very weak still IMO.

Reading that Mail article makes me feel so sorry for Moyes. Let down by the Club and the players. Fair play to those that went to games as they sound like the only ones conning out of this with any honour.

Salvadora

Arsenal with a capable forward (and a fit core of players) will be a formidable proposition.

Demoralising defeats against other the other top sides has been difficult, but we've generally been very, very good in getting results against weaker teams in the league.

Blablurn

i love football manager. i really do. i just came back from a 4:1 away defeat against real madrid in the cl semi final. i won 6:0 at home.

hail blablurn. coach of the year

Jarnet87

Liverpool if any. City and Chelsea are locks short of a disaster of a season, and even then a team like City should have the depth to still be top 4. Arsene always gets 4th at worst guaranteed, they don't even have to make improvements and he'll still hit that mark. So if were talking about a scenario where United bounce back and make it then Liverpool fall off.

LegoArmo

Europe will be difficult for Liverpool, but Rodgers is smart, I think, so he should be adding quite a bit to that squad in the summer, and promoting more youth.

Arsenal have to fail eventually. Let's see what they do in regards to a striker, though.

Carbonox

Liverpool if any. City and Chelsea are locks short of a disaster of a season, and even then a team like City should have the depth to still be top 4. Arsene always gets 4th at worst guaranteed, they don't even have to make improvements and he'll still hit that mark. So if were talking about a scenario where United bounce back and make it then Liverpool fall off.

Such excitement and the doofus fans of 1 team/2 team leagues think the BPL is shitty/boring. Fucking cobs.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@Bacon, L1NETT, KidAlove, Carbo and Yurt

BgeLzHlIYAAswGD.jpg

the lack of Padoin Kenobi is disturbing, but I'll make an exception for Khal Drogo.

Salvadora

Will benefit Arsenal if you lot bounce back.

Arsenal only took 1 point off United. City/Chelsea/Liverpool/Everton took 6. Which we just can't have.

L1NETT

Ew. No thanks Yurt.

--

Wilbz, I'd argue a winger is a priority. Too many no 10s, kagawa and Mata are nowt effective on the wings.

I think 35m for Carvalho is excessive, agree with Lab there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom