• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody can drop out of the top 4 next season, that's what makes the league so exciting.

This. I would gladly see two of this years top4 teams drop out. I want the clubs to learn to handle missing out on CL better then how they do today. The top 7-8 will be to good for all of them to be able to demand CL everywhere year.

Jarnet87

Carvalho is expensive but if he becomes Viera or Yaya Toure then he was worth every penny. Plus we could then sell him to PSG or Madrid for double.

I can just about envisage us paying £30m for Shaw, but £35m for Carvahlo...no way.

I think we will get him for £25m in the end, something like that. Even that is pretty risky. There are other players out there who can do that reinforcing job in the midfield who don't cost so much. Is Carvahlo really THAT good...dunno, and how can you really. It's Portugal. Shit league.

Man United weren't the biggest club in the country when Ferguson took over. Meulensteen comparing Ferguson taking over United in the 80s to Moyes taking over now is so ridiculously stupid.

Circumstances are completely different.

He's still right. We all heard how Moyes likes to go all hands on. See how well that has worked.

sohois

Top 4 is almost certainly locked for next season, barring absurd transfer windows.

The issue is age. United fell out of the top 4 because they had a decrepit team which suddenly saw a massive decline in key areas. Neither Arsenal nor Liverpool have problems in this area.

Then, when you consider Liverpool could easily have had 4 players in the YPOTY, and Arsenal lag not far behind, both teams could remain fairly static and yet still see little to no downturn.

And they won't remain static. United are left with a big challenge - they both have continuing aging in certain areas whilst the top 4 teams improve. Whilst Moyes may have been to blame for some of the players failings, the problem with elderly players - i.e. RVP and Carrick - is you can't really undo the damage that has been done.

So it's not just the issue that United have to recover, 10-15 points on Arsenal or Liverpool. It's really more like 20 points, since United will pretty much be down 3-5 whilst Arsenal and Liverpool will be up that amount, simply through natural aging. Everton and Spurs face a similar challenge, of course, without the negative points but also lacking the immense transfer resources that could make up such a difference.

I hope we don’t try to do too much this summer. We should identify the most urgent areas of concern, which are pretty obvious, and pursue players there. For me this would be a LB, CB, and 2 CM’s. We can’t “retool” the squad in just one window. And it’s impossible to get every signing right. If we have this apparent £200m, don’t spend it all in one go. I also think that whilst our squad is lacking, it isn’t as bad as people have been suggesting and we can get a lot more out of it. And not on a, Fergie gets every drop of blood out of his players sense. Jones, Smalling, Welbeck, Rafael. These guys are young and talented players. They might not be the best talents but they have hardly improved in the last 3 seasons and that means the coaching and opportunities haven’t been right for them. I might be way off but I think there’s a chance to bring these guys along in a new team with some support brought in around them.

Good points. No matter what, two new CMs are essential though.

Didn't Ferguson also get more time to grow accustomed to the position than Moyes? I think replacing existing staff with your own should not be the issue, that's pretty common.

That's pretty common for managers coming into the job because the last guy was fired for underperforming. Moyes went into a smoothly-run, successful operation and ripped up a possession-focused coaching apparatus in favour of his fitness-oriented approach, delivered by people who wouldn't challenge his ideas. If he wanted to succeed at United, he simply had to adapt. There's a time and place to be stubborn. Instead, he made it awfully difficult for himself from day one.

Not saying he should have kept them all or not brought any of his own people in, but a complete overhaul was mindless stuff.

Top 4 is almost certainly locked for next season, barring absurd transfer windows.

The issue is age. United fell out of the top 4 because they had a decrepit team which suddenly saw a massive decline in key areas. Neither Arsenal nor Liverpool have problems in this area.

Then, when you consider Liverpool could easily have had 4 players in the YPOTY, and Arsenal lag not far behind, both teams could remain fairly static and yet still see little to no downturn.

And they won't remain static. United are left with a big challenge - they both have continuing aging in certain areas whilst the top 4 teams improve. Whilst Moyes may have been to blame for some of the players failings, the problem with elderly players - i.e. RVP and Carrick - is you can't really undo the damage that has been done.

So it's not just the issue that United have to recover, 10-15 points on Arsenal or Liverpool. It's really more like 20 points, since United will pretty much be down 3-5 whilst Arsenal and Liverpool will be up that amount, simply through natural aging. Everton and Spurs face a similar challenge, of course, without the negative points but also lacking the immense transfer resources that could make up such a difference.

Whilst I agree that we have alot of work to do and that Arsenal/Liverpool are set up well to grow stronger...this type of points analysis is basically plucked out of nowhere :lol

You think it'll take 85 points to get into the top 4 next year?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
United are offering Shaw 100k a week? That's utterly mental for an 18 year old.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Bl6eJ_2CUAAMIo8.jpg

Feorax

The only thing that doesn't take into account is a big player (Aguero, Suarez, Ozil, Hazard) leaving. You have to assume that the clubs in the top 4 are most likely going to invest wisely with the money they get should that happen though.

Nicktendo86

I didn't say Moyes' approach was right.

I'm just saying comparing it to Ferguson's is stupid.
No, in the context of being hands on or trusting others to do their job, it isn't. The point Rene was making was that Fergie allowed people to do their job and would sit back and oversee, Moyes was hands on and couldn't cope as the club is so big. Seems a fair assessment to me.

Clegg

The new manager will need to progress our style of play. Fergie's last few years in charge saw us become a bit sterile in possession. Moyes then made what was a minor complaint into a colossal problem.

Salvadora

The only thing that doesn't take into account is a big player (Aguero, Suarez, Ozil, Hazard) leaving. You have to assume that the clubs in the top 4 are most likely going to invest wisely with the money they get should that happen though.
The only one of those that looks remotely like it has a chance of happening is Aguero.

And even then, probably not.

Jarnet87

The new manager will need to progress our style of play. Fergie's last few years in charge saw us become a bit sterile in possession. Moyes then made what was a minor complaint into a colossal problem.

2010-2011 was the last time we looked decent.

Barzul

Honestly don't see United making the top 4 next season whoever they get, but then again Liverpool are about to win the title after finishing 7th the year before, so what do I know.

sohois

Whilst I agree that we have alot of work to do and that Arsenal/Liverpool are set up well to grow stronger...this type of points analysis is basically plucked out of nowhere :lol

You think it'll take 85 points to get into the top 4 next year?

No, almost certainly the ~70 point line will remain the benchmark for top 4 next season. I suppose I did word it poorly. I mean, suppose United end up around 63 points this season. That would mean they need 7 extra points to be on a top 4 average. However, due to the decline of playing staff being significantly greater than accumulation, we can suppose that the squad will be several points weaker off automatically assuming there were no changes in transfers.

Meanwhile, for Arsenal, they will probably finish somewhere around 75 points. Due to a number of young prospects in their first team, plus a general lack of aging players, they would probably be several points better off next season assuming nothing changed.

Now, obviously we now things will change. However, what the analysis means is that Arsenal (and Liverpool) have a buffer against negative changes. United, meanwhile, must overcome a hurdle first to make gains. What this means is, for transfer windows United must not only have an above average success in their transfers, but they must also hope one of the top four clubs has a below average transfer window to be able to overhaul them. So a top 4 team needs to make several bad transfers whilst United have several good ones, odds of which are fairly long.

No, almost certainly the ~70 point line will remain the benchmark for top 4 next season. I suppose I did word it poorly. I mean, suppose United end up around 63 points this season. That would mean they need 7 extra points to be on a top 4 average. However, due to the decline of playing staff being significantly greater than accumulation, we can suppose that the squad will be several points weaker off automatically assuming there were no changes in transfers.

Meanwhile, for Arsenal, they will probably finish somewhere around 75 points. Due to a number of young prospects in their first team, plus a general lack of aging players, they would probably be several points better off next season assuming nothing changed.

Now, obviously we now things will change. However, what the analysis means is that Arsenal (and Liverpool) have a buffer against negative changes. United, meanwhile, must overcome a hurdle first to make gains. What this means is, for transfer windows United must not only have an above average success in their transfers, but they must also hope one of the top four clubs has a below average transfer window to be able to overhaul them. So a top 4 team needs to make several bad transfers whilst United have several good ones, odds of which are fairly long.

True.

But that doesn't account for the current points total probably being below the quality of our squad. Now I guess that's up for debate but I reckon if we had the manager that any of the other top 4 clubs had...we would have a few more points.

Of course this depends on us getting a good manager in, but that should in itself, in theory...also see us do better.

There is no doubt though - without investment we will not climb the table.

sohois

True.

But that doesn't account for the current points total probably being below the quality of our squad. Now I guess that's up for debate but I reckon if we had the manager that any of the other top 4 clubs had...we would have a few more points.

Of course this depends on us getting a good manager in, but that should in itself, in theory...also see us do better.

There is no doubt though - without investment we will not climb the table.

Looking at some statistical models, a fair few had United's expected squad strength at 3rd, at the beginning of the season. So you do have a point there.

However, next season the expected strengths will shift. every model worth looking at significantly underestimated the Liverpool squad. Even accounting for regression to the mean, that would be a hefty barrier to overcome.

Then taking into account the changes in squad strength over time which I talked about, United would very likely slip down to 5th, behind Arsenal.

I can just about envisage us paying £30m for Shaw, but £35m for Carvahlo...no way.

I think we will get him for £25m in the end, something like that. Even that is pretty risky. There are other players out there who can do that reinforcing job in the midfield who don't cost so much. Is Carvahlo really THAT good...dunno, and how can you really. It's Portugal. Shit league.

£27m for PL-proven Fellaini versus £34m for the Ukraine league's Fernandinho puts paid to this argument IMO. I remember hearing this stuff about Matic. I just watch the highlights, but yes, Carvalho is good enough that we'll regret seeing him play for another big team. And, in similar fashion, underrated going forward too.

I do see the argument that we could be going for a cheaper target with just as much promise, though. But I could say the same thing about Shaw. I'm just happy we're finally looking to invest in targets driven by what the team actually needs, instead of panic buys driven by extreme incompetence or desperation.

There's been so much great midfield talent United has passed over these last several years waiting for the sure thing that never comes (i.e. Fabregas, now Kroos). (And let's not even get into Pogba!) Maybe it's understandable given how Veron, Hargreaves, Anderson and (ugh) Fellaini turned out, but it's ridiculous. I'm not saying we shouldn't be discriminating, but we needn't be precious about it either.

Two F16s were scrambled today because Russian fighters were threatening to enter Dutch airspace. They buggered off eventually. The end is high.

@Bacon, L1NETT, KidAlove, Carbo and Yurt

BgeLzHlIYAAswGD.jpg

the lack of Padoin Kenobi is disturbing, but I'll make an exception for Khal Drogo.
Are they only beautiful?

Meier

I'll actually be really bummed if/when United get Shaw. City need a new LB pretty desperately. There are some good options elsewhere, but we really need some quality English players and that would have been a huge bonus.

Wilbur

Banned
I'll actually be really bummed if/when United get Shaw. City need a new LB pretty desperately. There are some good options elsewhere, but we really need some quality English players and that would have been a huge bonus.

Who do you have? Hart, Milner, Lescott, Barry, Richards, Sinclair.

And four of them are leaving

oh dear

Carbonox

Two F16s were scrambled today because Russian fighters were threatening to enter Dutch airspace. They buggered off eventually. The end is high.

Are they only beautiful?

Holland's residents live on houses on stilts, should the Russians invade you only need to knock em over and float to safety in the channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom