• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

@Bacon, L1NETT, KidAlove, Carbo and Yurt

BgeLzHlIYAAswGD.jpg

the lack of Padoin Kenobi is disturbing, but I'll make an exception for Khal Drogo.

ibqaVukC8jCSiS.gif

They all look like they fancy a bum.

£27m for PL-proven Fellaini versus £34m for the Ukraine league's Fernandinho puts paid to this argument IMO. I remember hearing this stuff about Matic. I just watch the highlights, but yes, Carvalho is good enough that we'll regret seeing him play for another big team. And, in similar fashion, underrated going forward too.

I do see the argument that we could be going for a cheaper target with just as much promise, though. But I could say the same thing about Shaw. I'm just happy we're finally looking to invest in targets driven by what the team actually needs, instead of panic buys driven by extreme incompetence or desperation.

There's been so much great midfield talent United has passed over these last several years waiting for the sure thing that never comes (i.e. Fabregas, now Kroos). (And let's not even get into Pogba!) Maybe it's understandable given how Veron, Hargreaves, Anderson and (ugh) Fellaini turned out, but it's ridiculous. I'm not saying we shouldn't be discriminating, but we needn't be precious about it either.

Heh you're right. I was being silly with that comment about the Portuguese league.

I suppose what I meant was the it's not a sure thing by any means. With Shaw...I kind of feel like it is, he's just obviously that good. And the same might be true of Carvahlo, but I find it harder to come to that conclusion. That said, I don't watch him play so I'm not in a position to really judge.

The "other" midfield signing is the really crucial one, the most important one of all IMO. If it's Van Gaal, I wonder if we will try to sign Clasie.

Meier

£27m for PL-proven Fellaini versus £34m for the Ukraine league's Fernandinho puts paid to this argument IMO. I remember hearing this stuff about Matic. I just watch the highlights, but yes, Carvalho is good enough that we'll regret seeing him play for another big team. And, in similar fashion, underrated going forward too

Well, it was actually £30m for Ferna but either way, a huge number. Although the Ukrainian league is fairly poor due largely to the typical imbalance in most leagues, Ferna had 72 apps in Europe already prior to signing for City (I think I'd calculated almost 50 of those were in the UCL as well). He was very proven on a much bigger scale while Carvalho isn't just yet. However, he looks like an insanely good player and is quite young so I wouldn't be surprised if United pull the trigger. They'd be smart to. I can't see a scenario where Sporting take less than his release clause either, so it'll be that £35m or bust. There are other interested parties.

Who do you have? Hart, Milner, Lescott, Barry, Richards, Sinclair.

And four of them are leaving

oh dear

Yep, we're going to be stretched thin. Boyata is apparently leaving this summer as well and I'm sure there will be other turnover. We are apparently interested in a young CM from Reading that we could sign on the cheap and serve as a squad player (Aaron Kuhl). I think Clichy should be sold asap but we'll probably have to keep him over Kolarov due to his status as a HG player. Hopefully some of these kids in the academy pan out at a top level (Lopes and Huws are probably the closest) in the next year or two because we need 'em.

I'll actually be really bummed if/when United get Shaw. City need a new LB pretty desperately. There are some good options elsewhere, but we really need some quality English players and that would have been a huge bonus.

Time to chuck money at him then that's the only way we can compete this year.

The Bernabeu is such an amazing stadium.

I think it's a shame what they're doing to it with the renovations. It looks like a proper classic as it is.

LTWheels

Times paper today has reported that the United are facing shares inquiry from sacking Moyes.

The US Securities and Commission regulator is examining how reports of Moyes's sacking appeared in British press before a statement to the NYSE, which saw the club's value soar be $210 million. The regulators are checking whether United gave any private briefings before the Stock Exchange opened and whether it met listing rules on making timely public announcements.

Wilbur

Banned
Times paper today has reported that the United are facing shares inquiry from sacking Moyes.

The US Securities and Commission regulator is examining how reports of Moyes's sacking appeared in British press before a statement to the NYSE, which saw the club's value soar be $210 million. The regulators are checking whether United gave any private briefings before the Stock Exchange opened and whether it met listing rules on making timely public announcements.

ibd79Mkg6FNMby.gif

Marc

I'll actually be really bummed if/when United get Shaw. City need a new LB pretty desperately. There are some good options elsewhere, but we really need some quality English players and that would have been a huge bonus.

I really think Shaw would suit Liverpool all over, their style, their manager and would progress as a player there. I think he will end up at Chelsea due to the fan angle, which is a shame.

City's record of using English players and bringing them through is pretty shocking to be honest, apart from money I dunno why you would want to go there over the others. As Wilbur said, you are having an exodus this summer it seems.

What happened with your academy, it was one of the best in the land and apart from Sturridge who wasn't really a city product the failure rate is huge. Has had massive investment (which is good) from the owners too, no one coming through? Haven't heard of anyone.

ibqaVukC8jCSiS.gif

They all look like they fancy a bum.

How old is she now? Is it ok to want to do things to her...

Had a look at this yesterday.

I think Woodward will escape, just, wasn't enough activity to land him in trouble.

L1NETT

I'm gonna out and get one of these badboys

5082.jpg

Or a wispa

Not sure yet.

Those Mccoys looks...interesting.

Give us the lowdown BB

Clegg

I really think Shaw would suit Liverpool all over, their style, their manager and would progress as a player there. I think he will end up at Chelsea due to the fan angle, which is a shame.
*ahem*

Luke Shaw is joining Manchester United Football Club.

Jamie Jackson says so.

Barca's suspension has been put on hold, complete bs that they are allowed to sign players again.

Anyways I had a dream yesterday, minute 90, Real v Chelsea in the CL Final, Real is ahead 2-1, but the ref concedes a penalty in Chelsea's favor, Eto'o steps up aims for the right post but Casillas blocks.

Jose Mourihno inmediately goes in cardio-respiratory failure.

The White Saint's Vengeance is complete.

El Santo Blanco always wins.

uncle Lambda will tell United how to do business with Carvalho:

he's unranked, unproven. great gifs? sure, but anyone can look good playing once a week vs Belenenses.

wait till he plays in the CL next season, evaluate his pace playing twice a week. if he truly is as he good as people think he is (i don't), United can cough up the 20€ (lol, 35€) and get him in January. it's not like being cup tied as any relevance in United's campaign.

Portugeezer

Barca's suspension has been put on hold, complete bs that they are allowed to sign players again.

Anyways I had a dream yesterday, minute 90, Real v Chelsea in the CL Final, Real is ahead 2-1, but the ref concedes a penalty in Chelsea's favor, Eto'o steps up aims for the right post but Casillas blocks.

UEFA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXe04VDZYvs

Marc

England are barely kittens. Ashamed and deformed Sphynx kittens.

too early for World Cup banter?
3AQmK.gif

Haha, never too early.

Woy will have us woaring; Sterling, Lallana, Barkley and Sturridge will lead us to world cup glory! It is known. Not forgetting ClevGod.

Messi is dead, Ronaldo will choke, Suarez having played every game will collapse from exhaustion and will go missing against top English defenders like Jags (Moyseh boy!), Spain players time is passing or are broken mentally and physically. German players will have Ozil go missing and the Bayern players so used to passing they have forgot how to shoot... also they are shit at pens now. Brazil will play Luiz and therefore gift us or others 3 or 4 goals. Its in the bag.

*gulp*

Scum

looool. Take it out on the daft old crooked cunts at UEFA/FIFA. Anyone could see this was what would happen.

Jarnet87

No point in being upset, this was always going to be the case. Not only was it going to be put on hold, but they'll walk away from this and Neymar gate without any consequences.

Meier

City's record of using English players and bringing them through is pretty shocking to be honest, apart from money I dunno why you would want to go there over the others. As Wilbur said, you are having an exodus this summer it seems.

What happened with your academy, it was one of the best in the land and apart from Sturridge who wasn't really a city product the failure rate is huge. Has had massive investment (which is good) from the owners too, no one coming through? Haven't heard of anyone.

We have graduated a fair number of players after Sturridge and Schmeichel but they were are last two that are highly decorated. Vladimir Weiss has shown flashes and played for Olympiakos in the Champions League this season but apparently transferred to some team in Qatar. So young to already be playing there.. sad. City's U-21 and U-18 teams have been among the best in the league this year but it's tough to break through when there are high expectations for world class players. We have a few (mostly youngsters who have been signed from other countries at 16 to be honest) who will definitely go on to be very successful, but whether or not that'll be at City remains to be seen.

Jordi Hiwula and Devante Cole are both young English strikers who I think will definitely go on to play professional football and be quality players -- they are our top two scorers for the U-21s (EDS) and have been fantastic this year. Shay Facey (LB) and Angus Gunn (GK) are probably are two other biggest English talents if I had to guess. I don't think Facey will ever approach our first team but he did sign an extension until 2016 the other day.

Some of the other top prospects at the U-21 level. I think all of these guys will be pros pretty easily:

Forward: Jose Angel Pozo
Attacking Midfield/Wingers: Marcos Lopes, Sinan Bytyqi, Albert Rusnak
Central Midfield: Emyr Huws (full Wales caps), George Evans, Olivier Ntcham, Seko Fofana
Defense: Karim Rekik (full Dutch caps), Mathias Bossaerts, Jason Denayer

Most of our U-18 team is British but there is some quality there.

Dark Rider

I forgot to say this a few weeks back

Another season another year EPL fails to relegate Stoke City
You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom