• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It was never about scoring "a lot" with him. Much like van bommel it was/is when he scored that mattered. There where plenty of tight games where a well placed shot broke through, or flew over, the defence and ended up in the back of the net and you could literally see the enthusiasm drain from the faces of the opposition.

Players like kroos, you can't base your game around them but it would be insanity to say you would not want at least one player of that class and type in your squad
You're right, but wouldn't you still prefer someone who offers more tactically like Javi?

Kroos is unbelievably overrated. Just a nothing player really. Javi would have offered more or something different at least.

So harsh, lol. He's a great player, but I don't think he has enough on an individual level to win games like this. Thiago, on the other hand, does.

pulga

Banned
Great, solid play at the back today. Very proud of our increasing number of clean sheets this season. Dat Italian dna

King_Moc

Banned
Eurgh, Mourinho is such a little prick. He's obviously going to play the full team, else Man City have cause for complaint. I'm sure there's rules about that kind of thing.

Not that he means to anyway. He knows he won't be able to come close to Liverpool on the football pitch, so he's resorting to bollocks like this. It's embarrassing.

Edit: Seems they got rid of the rule http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jul/15/premier-league-weakened-teams-holloway

Eurgh, Mourinho is such a little prick. He's obviously going to play the full team, else Man City have cause for complaint. I'm sure there's rules about that kind of thing.

Not that he means to anyway. He knows he won't be able to come close to Liverpool on the football pitch, so he's resorting to bollocks like this. It's embarrassing.

Football squads exist for a reason. If they field an entirely different 11 the FA can't do diddly squat. What's the point in having 22 players if the FA can dictate who you should play?

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea did a number on Liverpool.

Lightning

Banned
Nonsense. They've definitely lost form, but they aren't damaged. They miss Thiago big time. Temporary blip. The problem is it's come at the worst time of the season.

And Lol at worse to watch than Chelsea.
Thiago? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

He wasn't even a Bayern player last season when Bayern dominated everyone and now he's the key man? A player who left Barca because of game time? Now plays in a team full of German stars? That's a good one. Talented player to be sure but no, just no.

Pep's brand of football has been found out. It's costing Barca and it will inevitably cost Bayern unless something changes and Bayern are worse to watch with their pointless passing than a bus parking Chelsea imo.

King_Moc

Banned
How do you prove that he fielded a weakened side? Also you have football squads for a reason. If they field an entirely different 11 the FA can't do diddly squat.

Edited my post, he can now pick any of his main 25 man squad. Pre-2011 he couldn't have as it would have been deemed unfair to Liverpools rivals.

Jarnet87

How do you prove that he fielded a weakened side? Also you have football squads for a reason. If they field an entirely different 11 the FA can't do diddly squat.

I feel like a relegation team tried to complain about a Manchester United lineup in one of the last matches of the season a couple years back, problem was they still lost lol. Can't remember what year it was.

MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 6m
Roman Abramovich has given his blessing to Mourinho’s controversial plan to rest an entire XI against Liverpool. (Telegraph)

"Mind Games". He'll send out his first choice XI.

I think the team will look like this:

Schwarzer
Cole Kalas Luiz Branna
Matic Lampard Mikel
Salah Schurrle
Ba

Defence is difficult to predict. I think Azpili and Cahill will be rested, Cole will need the match fitness and Branna didn't play during the week, midfield central 3 is obvious as they're all unable to play.

Rules were changed in 2011 I believe and Man City won't have a leg to stand on for complaints. We should be able to focus on whatever we want and at this stage its the CL. City shouldn't have bottled it at home against us or away to Liverpool more recently. We don't owe them or the league anything.

That said, i'd be disappointed if we didn't try to win, I don't think its how we should do things but if its what Jose actually thinks we should do (and Roman agrees) then I will trust them.

:lol B team

Like the £21 million Matic and the £16 million Salah.

Poor Mourinho. Poor Chelsea.

I think you have the wrong definition of what counts as a Chelsea B team to the reality of our squad.

danwarb

MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 6m
Roman Abramovich has given his blessing to Mourinho’s controversial plan to rest an entire XI against Liverpool. (Telegraph)

"Mind Games". He'll send out his first choice XI.

Yep. He'll send out a team he thinks he can get a result with whatever. I won't fall for this shit!

King_Moc

Banned
Yep. He'll send out a team he thinks he can get a result with whatever. I won't fall for this shit!

You never know, he could be doing it on purpose to try to downplay the importance of us or City winning the league. He's a hypocrite, so he'll have no problem totally changing his mind next season if they win it.

GQman2121

Banned
He's really into kissing dat RDM family

http://i.minus.com/i9m3bzwk2kM1u.gif[IMG]

Goddammit I will miss Luiz, as big as a window licker he can be defensively, he's my very charming nice window licker.[/QUOTE]

I like Luiz a lot...as a person. He's a great ambassador for the club. You see him on social media all the time with kids and just being fun. And I think that adds a lot to him as a member of the club.

However, his role for us on the pitch is very much in limbo.

What is he?

What does he even want to be?

He'll start in the WC for Brazil this summer, but will it be at RB or CB?

We've played him in MF many times this season for numerous reasons - is that where he belongs? I'm not entirely convinced.

What I do know is that he's not a world class Centerback. He's just not. He doesn't have the vision to anticipate the movement of the ball on the ground, and he's prone to making huge errors and being baited into committing costly fouls. These are things that Gary Cahill has been able to limit and in many ways completely eliminate for long stretches of the current season.

Still--if the rumors are to be believe--Luiz carries a transfer fee that is more than what we initially paid for him (which I believe was £23+Matic who was priced around £3 at the time) and there are clubs that would consider him an option.

We'll sign a new LB for sure, (pls, Shaw, pls) allowing, 30 year old, Ivanovic to rotate with Cahill, Terry and Zouma to give us a solid base of CBs for next year. Also, I think if Nigeria are able to get past Bosnia and Iran this summer, Ken Omeruo's stock will rise and he'll be apart of the team too.

I know Mou has a terrible record for believing in young players, but Zouma and Omeruo could be the acceptations. We already own them and will need to overspend at the other end of the pitch.

TrueBlue

:lol B team

Like the £21 million Matic and the £16 million Salah.

Poor Mourinho. Poor Chelsea.

1182.gif

Thiago? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

He wasn't even a Bayern player last season when Bayern dominated everyone and now he's the key man? A player who left Barca because of game time? Now plays in a team full of German stars? That's a good one. Talented player to be sure but no, just no.

Pep's brand of football has been found out. It's costing Barca and it will inevitably cost Bayern unless something changes and Bayern are worse to watch with their pointless passing than a bus parking Chelsea imo.

After one cl semi final where they lost 1-0 he's been found out? Despite running away with the league, being in the cup final and winning the club world cup? You're getting way ahead of yourself. Pep's had a bad away record in the CL for years even with Barça. Didn't matter because they almost always did the business at home. If they don't win the CL this year, it'll hardly mean the end of Pep given that no team have yet achieved that feat.

Thiago wasn't there last season yes, but that doesn't mean a player can't come in and become important even in a previously winning side.

I think what's happening here is that you want Pep to fail so you confuse your fantasy with reality.

Razgreez

You're right, but wouldn't you still prefer someone who offers more tactically like Javi?

Can't say yes to neither martinez nor schweinsteiger. Along with ribery those two have run into bad form at the worst possible time.

No coincidence that all three have not too recently returned from injury. Pep seems to have difficulty phasing players back in once they've recovered. He's basically built the current team around Kroos and thiago and refuses to accept that he does not have the type of players to consistently play his style of possession.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
How can you not love Mourinho

He KNOWS he's talking utter shit but he'll still say it just to wind everyone up

Feorax

@AnfieldlsHome: Chelsea team to play Liverpool via the Mirror: Hilario; Kalas, Mikel, Christensen, Ake; Van Ginkel, Matic, Lampard; Salah, Ba, Schurrle.

That's about as "B team" as you can get for Chelsea.

Carbonox

Just saw the score, YES MADRID. Fucking Bayern with their nik nak paddy whack fussball and ermergerd possession stats that did fuck all yet again.

Will be an interesting return leg no doubt.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Can't say yes to neither martinez nor schweinsteiger. Along with ribery those two have run into bad form at the worst possible time.

No coincidence that all three have not too recently returned from injury. Pep seems to have difficulty phasing players back in once they've recovered. He's basically built the current team around Kronos and thiago and refuses to accept that he does not have the type of players to consistently play his style of possession.
Fair enough!

Going in with Lahm in midfield against Madrid was a baffling decision. Mainly because Rafina is...not Bayern material.

Kyoufu

Just saw the score, YES MADRID. Fucking Bayern with their nik nak paddy whack fussball and ermergerd possession stats that did fuck all yet again.

Will be an interesting return leg no doubt.

I feel like Real needed another goal to be comfortable in the return leg. I just can't see Bayern not scoring at home.

Then again hopefully Bale plays next game and tears Rafinha a new one.

pulga

Banned
Fair enough!

Going in with Lahm in midfield against Madrid was a baffling decision. Mainly because Rafina is...not Bayern material.

Pep is determined to have his nonsensical, hipster lineups succeed so his sheep will have something to wank about.

3Sixty

#SaintsFC’s Josh Sims has been named in the @england Under-17s squad for next month’s European U17 Championships in Malta. Well done, Josh!

Based Sims.

The next Bale right there folks.

Lightning

Banned
After one cl semi final where they lost 1-0 he's been found out? Despite running away with the league, being in the cup final and winning the club world cup? You're getting way ahead of yourself. Pep's had a bad away record in the CL for years even with Barça. Didn't matter because they almost always did the business at home. If they don't win the CL this year, it'll hardly mean the end of Pep given that no team have yet achieved that feat.

Thiago wasn't there last season yes, but that doesn't mean a player can't come in and become important even in a previously winning side.

I think what's happening here is that you want Pep to fail so you confuse your fantasy with reality.
We'll wait and see who's fantasy this is. Could very well see Bayern only winning the German league this season after dominating the treble last season.

Walshy

We put 3 past City's defence. We'd probably put 6 past that.

But that's fine by Mourinho and Chelsea apparently.
It like a giant fuck you to the Premier League for not moving the fixture.

Think about it as a 2010 Gerrard assist, return present.
I'd actually support Chelsea in the CL if anyone on your team gifts us a goal in the way Gerrard gifted you that league title in 2010.

We'll wait and see who's fantasy this is. Could very well see Bayern only winning the German league this season after dominating the treble last season.

I can't think of any major European side who've done the double treble in the last 20 years. If any have, ever.

If Bayern don't win the CL it'll be disappointing yes, but arguably better sides have failed to win the CL two years on the trot.

It's way to early to say Pep has been found out. If they have a shit season next year or get pumped by Madrid in the away leg, then maybe you'll have a point. They've just hit a patch of bad form (kind of like Madrid did just recently) and it's whether or not they can sort it out in time for the return leg.

Nicktendo86

I must say having read that daily mail article, if even half of it is true, my sympathy for Moyse has gone up a bit and my desire for a manager who will not put up with shit has gone up immeasurably.

Feorax

So we sign with Subway and Suarez puts out a Pepsi advert on the same day.

The commercial branch of our club must be working some real overtime.

Edit:

@Kop305: Sturridge: "I'd like to show respect to my former club, but if I score in the last minute I'm going to be on a mad one, aren't I?"

I love him. He's brilliant on every level.

Gambit

Just home from watching at a bar. That was my first mistake tonight. Should have stayed home to watch the game in peace.

Anyway, congrats to Real. They did very well.

Bayern's game is getting extremely annoying. van Gaal-annoying. Rafinha again, when we have Martinez?
I thought all of Pep's substitutions were justified, but too late! Ribery was shit the whole game and Schweini was ineffective as well.
You could see when Götze and Müller came on that Bayern finally had an x-factor in their game. Finally there were some small surprises.

Of course, they'll be on the bench again next week. I really, really hope someone can knock some sense into Ribery again.

Oh, and one more thing, as nice as Real's goal was. Why did no-one foul a Madrid player? There were multiple situations where a they could have easily diffused the situation.

My hope for next Tuesday are slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom