• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgreez

Fair enough!

Going in with Lahm in midfield against Madrid was a baffling decision. Mainly because Rafina is...not Bayern material.

Only Pep knows why one would play the best RB in world football out of position. He won't be the best RB forever so basic logic states use him while you can but no, Pep has better ideas.

At least lahm has won a CL and it would be a great pity if he didn't get to lift the world cup at least once in his lifetime.

Lightning

Banned
So? Winning the league, reaching the cup final and the CL semi-final is still a fantastic season. Keep in mind we virtually dominated the league this season, even more than with Heynckes. I agree though that he'll need to expand and modify his strategy. Possession is good, but you need pace, dynamic to score. We have been too static lately.
Don't misunderstand me, my issue is not with Bayern but more Pep's one dimensional style of possession based football. The best sides will catch him out if he doesn't adjust when these players are so much more expansive than that. They proved that last season is all I'm really saying.

No issue with Bayern but Pep... I have doubts over.

"'Petr Cech's season is over,' he said. 'Don't ask me to explain it technically, but it's over. With John, we'll have to play in the final for him to play with us again."
ngDCi9a.png

John Terry, however, has not given up on playing again this season despite Jose Mourinho ruling him out until a potential Champions League final. Terry injured his ankle against Atlético, but did not require a protective boot and is waiting on the results of a scan.

#prayforJT (Daily Mail)

The article says Courtois could be at SB next season as Cech might be out for 3 months. Cech replaced Cudicini when he was injured iirc and never went back from there, Ive always said Cech will not play until his late 30s due to head injury

Timbuktu

Like fuck he will go with that.

We'll score at least 3+ goals past that defense.

Mou can't lose. If Liverpool beat that team and go on to win the league, even if it was with a 14 game win streak, there'll always be that caveat years to come how Mourinho gave it to Liverpool like was his gift or something.

Then again, this can all be to unsettle Brendan.

#prayforJT (Daily Mail)

The article says Courtois could be at SB next season as Cech might be out for 3 months. Cech replaced Cudicini when he was injured iirc and never went back from there, Ive always said Cech will not play until his late 30s due to head injury

That quote is straight out of Mou's mouth on Chelsea's site.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/3781978/title/final-whistle-verdict-we-will-fight

I want to believe dailymail but... yeah

K1LLER7

Agree with Jamie Carregher's opinion that Pep's (and others) possesion heavy football can be great to watch if there is penetration from the wingers or the midfielders try and break behind the opposing defence. Similar to Liverpool this season, Barca in the past.
However, It usually doesn't work when the team decides to just play it around in front of the defence with no movement to try and get behind the defenders.

Bayern had none of that today and seemed to rely heavily on crosses, hoping Mandzukic headed it in.

Barzul

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsene-wenger-contract-arsenal-manager-3447976

Mirror article on Wenger staying on.

Key point for me.

The Frenchman accepts his squad needs strengthening in several areas as he look to bring in a big name striker, new right back, midfield general, wide player and new keeper.

Looks like Wenger is looking at the right areas.

Wenger is also keeping tabs on Manchester United’s Tom Cleverley who is a target for Everton this summer but his future is now unclear with a new manager set to come in at Old Trafford.

This scares me.

It like a giant fuck you to the Premier League for not moving the fixture.

I'd actually support Chelsea in the CL if anyone on your team gifts us a goal in the way Gerrard gifted you that league title in 2010.
Thinking about it, I can see mou putting that team out for that exact reason

Elchele

Surprised it didn't end 3-0. Expected, Guardiola is nothing but a younger and better dressed LvG.

Congrats RM-Gaf, great tactical job by Ancelotti and the players executed it perfectly. If Atlético gets eliminated, I hope you win it.

Meier

Bayern had that one moment that looked like a surefire goal when Ribery cut away from goal and Alaba cut in behind him and they had a perfect 1-2. It looked like a surefire goal but a Madrid defender somehow got in front of Alaba and stopped it from happening.

I think that was the only dangerous move to come via Ribery tonight.

Salvadora

Wenger is also keeping tabs on Manchester United’s Tom Cleverley who is a target for Everton this summer but his future is now unclear with a new manager set to come in at Old Trafford.
Aye, 'keeping tabs' on Cleverly to guarantee he stays as far away from Arsenal as possible.

Not sure about Cavani.

Seems the wrong age tbh.

Also the wrong position to be strengthening.

"THE ENGLISH LIVE BADLY, EAT BADLY AND THEIR WOMEN DO NOT WASH." - Aurelio De Laurentiis
"THE ENGLISH ARE PIRATES." - Zamparini

This is two people that has owned Cavani. He's not coming to premier league guys, he knows about your none washing women and pirates.

Raptor

Hopefully Bayern goes all out and the score be something like 4-3 or some shit and we go to teh final because of the away goal rule.

Let's do this Bayern, lets see what team has more offensive punch :D

Barzul

Can't believe some people are scoffing at Mandzukic because he's too similar to Giroud. If we need pace, stick Walcott at CF. Seriously there are no good pacy strikers available, they've all been bought or are at Liverpool.

Clegg

Does that mean you're getting rid of RVP?
Can't see that happening if Van Gaal joins.

Guardian says we want Cavani as there is a recognition that we lack pace and dynamism up front. But surely Cavani, RVP and Rooney wouldn't be able to play together?

Wes

venison crêpe
Don't think Cavani is the answer either although you should get rid of RvP this summer. Why not get someone younger?

Can't see that happening if Van Gaal joins.

Guardian says we want Cavani as there is a recognition that we lack pace and dynamism up front. But surely Cavani, RVP and Rooney wouldn't be able to play together?

That hasn't exactly stopped you earlier this year has it? #basedwoodward

L1NETT

A fit and firing RVP is still one the best strikers in the league.

Issue is getting him fit and playing weekly.

If the medical team think they ain't possible, then to free up wages he should go but he still a fecking mint striker.

Could United fall into the trap of signing big money signings because the need to strengthen is obvious, and thus it's a get who's available mentality.

That's what Mata struck me as, especially under the Moyes system which he did not fit into at all.

Solid win for R. Madrid today. I think they are favorites now, mostly because of the away goal rule. I see them easily scoring a goal in Germany, so Bayern needs 3 goals just to be safe.
If R. Madrid chokes is going to be hilarious though. This is by far their best chance to get "La decima". They won't get a chance like this anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom