• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Aye, if Cavani goes on the market then clubs like Real and Arsenal will get him well ahead of United. It's fucking hilarious.

And I've just seen the "Keane to assist LVG" story.

Man alive next season is going to be gr8

Wonder how far away are we from having Lahm saying that we were the better team because we had more possession. I'm sure we're almost there

Welcome to two years ago?

Already said that Bayern was the better team after the 5-2 loss in the DFB cup final, also said it after today's match. He didn't actually say because of more possession but that's what he was thinking. Or to say it differently, that's the only thing he could have thought about if you give him some credit and not consider him a full idiot.

jtb

Banned
If it means we have to sacrifice other positions, not sure I would.

if Wenger/hypothetical new manager is smart about it, it wouldn't necessarily cripple us. resign Sagna = don't need to buy a replacement. don't let Vermaelen go, he's still under contract. then it becomes a question of a new CM vs. a striker and as much as I think this team needs a physical midfielder desperately, proven, world class strikers are incredibly rare and we should pounce.

since all this requires pragmatism, competence, and common sense, it'll never happen. but, it's nice to dream.

basically, one world class addition (say, 40-50m) each summer is a good way to strengthen the club, I think. (assuming that's our spending limit.) I'd rather settle for one world class player than two players who aren't actually improvements over what we already have.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Shits too serious to spend our monies on positions filled, this money needs to work for us, can't pull another 200mill next summer like City can

Nervy times ahead

Salvadora

Cavani even leaving PSG doesn't make sense though, without considering the whole United angle.

He's only just got there and Ibrahimovic is aging. Looks to be a bit of a talisman for the club too.

pulga

Banned
1398288328_extras_albumes_1.jpg

HALAL MADRID

Go_Ly_Dow

after getting the defence sorted first priority should be filling that number 7 shirt.

a world class winger/all out attacker is a must.

bud

Don't think it was.

Ramsey's return stole the headlines (for obvious reasons), but I was incredibly impressed with Ozil. Looked about 2 steps ahead of everyone else on the pitch.Think we'll see a real blossoming of him next season when teammates figure out his ways.

Imagine him feeding passes to Walcott on the break. Imagine him teeing up Ramsey to score incredible goals. Imagine a front line without Giroud.

imagine an arsenal side where all of these players can play alongside each other for an extended period of time.

yeah... neither can i.

Arnie

It's going to be a repeat of last summer. I am giddy.

All we need now are some fake Spanish lawyers in suits.
It's going to be worse than last summer because their club is now in open disarray and a minimum of 12 months away from the Champions League, with that figure representing the most optimistic of outcomes.

Last season players weren't aware of United's trajectory.

jtb

Banned
also if Cesc goes to Utd, I might cry. I don't see it happening for a variety of reasons, but if Utd are serious about spending huge (100k/week for Shaw is pretty huge to me) and they offered Cesc a 300k/week type contract, I could see him taking that. he took a pay cut to join Barcelona, didn't he? and while he was our highest paid player at Arsenal, he was never in that upper elite pay-range.

Elchele

Welcome to two years ago?

Already said that Bayern was the better team after the 5-2 loss in the DFB cup final, also said it after today's match. He didn't actually say because of more possession but that's what he was thinking. Or to say it differently, that's the only thing he could have thought about if you give him some credit and not consider him a full idiot.

I know he did. But I want him to say it openly like Xavi.
That's going to be very funny/depressing

also if Cesc goes to Utd, I might cry. I don't see it happening for a variety of reasons, but if Utd are serious about spending huge (100k/week for Shaw is pretty huge to me) and they offered Cesc a 300k/week type contract, I could see him taking that. he took a pay cut to join Barcelona, didn't he? and while he was our highest paid player at Arsenal, he was never in that upper elite pay-range.
If he leaves, and I think he will, Wenger is definitely going to try to get him back.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
We just gonna bench mata at 35mill to buy fabregas? I do not understand the logic in this

Stubo

If we spend £60m on another striker and STILL fail to get a CM in who is actually capable of filling the gaping hole in the middle of the park I will be furious.

Luckily we have 0 chance of getting Cavani.

Considerably higher than 0 chance of failing to get a CM anyway

Arnie

I'm not an expert on him or anything but is Cesc even worth it nowadays? Whenever I've seen him he's looked dead inside.

He used to be so fucking good running Arsenal's midfield. I can't fathom him playing at that same intensity.

Salvadora

Cesc going to United would break my heart.

Would feel like the ultimate betrayal.
There's lots of reports about him being unhappy and wanting to move away. I certainly don't believe he will end up at United or Arsenal, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see him going.
I considered that, but ultimately thought that he's playing at a club with limitless financial power and no motivation to sell.

He can cry about playing on the wing, but don't think it will mean much in the long run.

Clegg

It's not United linking themselves to more players, it's the papers linking us to every player possible lol, happens every year.
They're getting the names from someone though.

And if rumours are to be believed, they're coming directly from our executive vice chairman. Dude's an idiot

wedward

If Cesc leaves, really don't think he will, Wenger will get him.

How he fits into the team I have no clue.

------Cavani
Ozil CESC Theo
-Ramsey Bender
Gibb Kos Per Sagna
-------SZHZ

That'll do.

Arnie

It's not United linking themselves to more players, it's the papers linking us to every player possible lol, happens every year.
It's on the Guardian.

Either you've given them the story or Cavani's agent has (the less likely of the two). You're extremely naive if you think they've just typed the story up for fucking shits and giggles.

This is how Woodward operates mate.

It's just...mental.

I'm not an expert on him or anything but is Cesc even worth it nowadays? Whenever I've seen him he's looked dead inside.

He used to be so fucking good running Arsenal's midfield. I can't fathom him playing at that same intensity.

I think he would still be very good in the PL, or any team where he had more freedom and didn't have to play to Barca's system. He's just not on their level when it comes to that intricate passing.

It's on the Guardian.

Either you've given them the story or Cavani's agent has (the less likely of the two). You're extremely naive if you think they've just typed the story up for fucking shits and giggles.

Daniel Taylor too, one of Manited's favourite brief-ee's.

Stubo

It really wouldn't surprise me if 90% of the names came from those players' agents aiming to get the best deal for their man.

The other 10% come from imposter lawyers who are in no way affiliated with MUFC, honest.

Clegg

Buried in that Guardian article about Cavani was a line still insisting that United have two provisional deals already settled for the summer. By Christ, if they don't come off Woodward should seppaku.

Lightning

Banned
if Wenger/hypothetical new manager is smart about it, it wouldn't necessarily cripple us. resign Sagna = don't need to buy a replacement. don't let Vermaelen go, he's still under contract. then it becomes a question of a new CM vs. a striker and as much as I think this team needs a physical midfielder desperately, proven, world class strikers are incredibly rare and we should pounce.

since all this requires pragmatism, competence, and common sense, it'll never happen. but, it's nice to dream.

basically, one world class addition (say, 40-50m) each summer is a good way to strengthen the club, I think. (assuming that's our spending limit.) I'd rather settle for one world class player than two players who aren't actually improvements over what we already have.
Ideal targets for me:

Cavani - 60m
Schneiderlin - 20+m
Chambers - 10+m
Back up goalie - 1-10m

We have cash reserves to afford this and only Cavani's wages would need to be worked in. Arteta and Schneiderlin, Sagna and Chambers would come close to cancelling one anothers wages out.

Not to mention we would save 50+k per week on Bendtner's wages for doing nothing all year pretty much.

Stubo

Buried in that Guardian article about Cavani was a line still insisting that United have two provisional deals already settled for the summer. By Christ, if they don't come off Woodward should seppaku.
2 deals being Zaha's return and Fabio buyback? :p

L1NETT

Sticker book summertime transfer fantasies already seeping out. The daydream lineups are my favourite.

What other fun off season games are there?

Moaning about new kits. That's a good one
Fantasy teams, that'll kill a few hours.

Thank fudge for the WC.

Jarnet87

If we spend £60m on another striker and STILL fail to get a CM in who is actually capable of filling the gaping hole in the middle of the park I will be furious.

Luckily we have 0 chance of getting Cavani.

Considerably higher than 0 chance of failing to get a CM anyway

it could happen, it's always in the realm of possibility at United as long as Fergie DNA is still around.

We're not gonna go for Cavani, the story is very non committal. But somebody at the club (I wonder who) seems to think it's a good idea for us to be linked to all these players because it somehow means we're still a big deal.

Just clueless.

I can believe we'd go back for Fabregas though. They think he really fancied it last year. He'll have better offers this time around though and I think Barca will happily sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom