• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

It really wouldn't surprise me if 90% of the names came from those players' agents aiming to get the best deal for their man.

The other 10% come from imposter lawyers who are in no way affiliated with MUFC, honest.
You can tell if the info is legit, or at least if it's coming direct from the club, by the journo who writes it.

For United news, Daniel Taylor, Mark Ogden, Ian Ladyman and Andy Mitten are all very good. For the Cavani story, the journo is Daniel Taylor. So someone connect to United has told him this. Same with the Luke Shaw story from earlier today. Although that one was written by Jamie Jackson.

subtles

Meh

It's always odd seeing teams complete deals for players when they have no long term framework in place.

Then again, giving Moyes Mata was just as silly.

Gianluca Di Marzio ‏@DiMarzio 8m
#evra was offered a new three year contract from @ManUtd in the last days.

3 year contract.

What's going on. I'm so confused.

Arnie

With these sorts of things I think it's best to look at who the story is benefitting, and work backwards to identify its origin.

When lesser players are linked with bigger clubs it's the work of an agent trying to drive his clients price up and generate interest.

When a club like United are linked with a marquee, world class striker the day after taking a fat fucking egg on their chops in the form of MOYES you can pretty much guess where the story has come from.

"It looks bad that we can't get a manager prestigious enough to reassure you that we aren't going to fail again so LOOK WHO WE'RE AFTER!!!"

Let's discuss Juve.

Players in: Scuffet, Nani, Berardi, Verratrayor

Players out: Pogba

edit: Jesus christ. I see why Zabo and Yurt want him so much. His fucking name and well, just look at him. He's the next Buffon.

K1LLER7

Shaw is one deal (hopefully).
Carvalho should be the other. The scouts have watched him in pretty much every game. Others reporting of a 35m deal there. Would hope he is wrapped up if we want him.

That's two players for 2 key area's that need improving. Still need a Carrick replacement and a winger (could wait till next summer).
Striker too if any of them leave.

Pep:"Madrid didn't even do 3 consecutive passes in the first half"

W8gtLrd.png

PtmK6Kj.png

9vQP3GH.png

HALA MADRID!

Jarnet87

3 year contract.

Another season of overusing Evra with no cover. This can only mean one thing. Fergie is coming back to manage. Cavani is on, new midfielders are off.

wedward

Ideal targets for me:

Cavani - 60m
Schneiderlin - 20+m
Chambers - 10+m
Back up goalie - 1-10m

We have cash reserves to afford this and only Cavani's wages would need to be worked in. Arteta and Schneiderlin, Sagna and Chambers would come close to cancelling one anothers wages out.

Not to mention we would save 50+k per week on Bendtner's wages for doing nothing all year pretty much.

I think Schneiderlin is a solid realistic target that we should have wrapped up early on.

This is Wenger's last chance to spend. If he doesn't spend now, someone else will be spending for him next summer.

K1LLER7

3 year contract.

Shaw bailed out man ;_;

Hopefully it's nonsense. Apparently he said Sanchez was off to Juve too.

L1NETT

Shaw is one allegedly so the other is Carvalho?

They haven't got a manager. Surely each candidate for the job has their own potential shortlist. How on earth are there agreements already in place.

Is Woodward just (trying to) make deals for shits and giggles at this moment?

Fabregas was impossible last summer. There was no way Barca was going to sell him after Thiago left them. He was the wrong target last summer and Moyes with Woodward's help showed a high level of incompetence in the transfer window.

Clegg

They haven't got a manager. Surely each candidate for the job has their own potential shortlist. How on earth are there agreements already in place.

These deals have allegedly been completed for a month. Better just to go through with them imo.

K1LLER7

Woodward is the ultimate muppet.

He probably has a ITK account on twitter.

pulga

Banned
Wonder how far away are we from having Lahm saying that we were the better team because we had more possession. I'm sure we're almost there

check out Beckenbauer's statement at the end of the match

"La posesión no significa nada cuando el rival tiene sus oportunidades. Podemos estar contentos de que el Madrid sólo nos marcara un gol"

L1NETT

These deals have allegedly been completed for a month. Better just to go through with them imo.

So it's gonna be "Hi, welcome to the club Mr Van Gaal, my office is down the hall if you want me"

"Oh by the way, we signed 70 Million quid's worth of teenage talent. Hope you enjoy that, no pressure. Sorry, we didn't keep the receipts"

Not havin it

Possible sure, but ehhhhh

I'm assuming that the deals have been pretty much done. Apparently last summer, we had a deal in place for Thiago but Moyes didn't want him, the fucking idiot.

LegoArmo

I always wanted Evra to stay another season to help the new left back, and just generally because he's one of the most loved players in the squad, from almost everything that we hear. I wanted Vidic to stay too, for similar reasons, but it's looking more like Rio wants to hang on.

As good as Shaw is, just Shaw and Buttner for the left back roll would actually scare me a little.

That one is def not right.

Or at least I hope it isn't.

I'd read Evra has a clause whereby he can extend his contract at his own choosing if he plyed enough games this season. He has so he's allowed to extend if he wants.

Since we know this clause exists it makes no logical sense we'd offer a new 3 year contract.

I think you'll sign one player.

Genuinely?

I think we'll get a few, really really bad deals.

So it's gonna be "Hi, welcome to the club Mr Van Gaal, my office is down the hall if you want me"

"Oh by the way, we signed 70 Million quid's worth of teenage talent. Hope you enjoy that, no pressure. Sorry, we didn't keep the receipts"

Not havin it

Possible sure, but ehhhhh
I don't know if they have lined things up or not...but that's what Ed Woodward has been telling everyone. We'll find out pretty soon I guess.

Clegg

I think you'll sign one player.
What's your definition of top? I'm going to be optimistic and say we'll sign Shaw, but whilst he may be a huge prospect he doesn't scream "top player" to me.

And we'll overpay by loads for the players we get.

Elchele

"La posesión no significa nada cuando el rival tiene sus oportunidades. Podemos estar contentos de que el Madrid sólo nos marcara un gol"

Pep said that Beckenbauer was right (about being lucky que sólo nos marcaran un gol). Our best chance is for Beckenbauer to get elected as head of Bayern in the upcoming elections (very unlikely, but there's hope) to stop this bull shit.

Romez

Didn't Chelsea sign Oscar and Hazard before Benitez came in.

Possession means nothing when the opposition has their opportunities. We can be happy that Madrid only scored 1 goal.

WJD

Big Willy's a done deal and so is Shaw by the sounds of it. Fabregas and Cavani will be absolute non-starters so I'm not really sure where we go from there. Koke? Garay?

bud23

Wonder how far away are we from having Lahm saying that we were the better team because we had more possession. I'm sure we're almost there

huh

Robben; We played a world class team, in the Santiago Bernabeu, but still we dominated and were the better side. I expected more from Real Madrid.

I expected more

ij9J9EfdS3z6H.png

from Real Madrid.

L1NETT

Didn't Chelsea sign Oscar and Hazard before Benitez came in.

Might be right there, not saying it's impossible.

Chelsea isn't a really a club structure many have though :p

Who's picking the team this weekend? Manager? Who knows.

--

Clegg, Shaw's a top player. 30m is a lot, but for someone who potentially win 100+ England caps, decades at the top etc...probably worth it.

Clegg

Apparently, this is exactly what's going to happen.

Or at least that's what the club keeps saying. Whether or not that's true remains to be seen.

Arnie

What's your definition of top? I'm going to be optimistic and say we'll sign Shaw, but whilst he may be a huge prospect he doesn't scream "top player" to me.
I think Shaw's the one you won't sign. In fact I'm almost positive you won't get him. Shaw can't afford to get this move wrong; United is far too uncertain a destination for a young player making that big career defining move.

I reckon you'll get the Big Willeh and I reckon he'll be disappointing for the money you'll end up paying. Like Fellianeh.

And then I reckon you'll fuck about with other nonsensical targets like Cavani but ultimately get nobody through the door because of the World Cup, LVG's subsequent late arrival and Woodward's incompetence.

Actually I do think you'll get a central defender. But I don't think he'll be a 'top' one. I don't think there are many on the market.

So that's two players.

Honestly, I don't think you will do bad deals.

Overpriced, sure. Unneeded, possibly. But I'm pretty confident that you will get quality players.

There are too many clubs after players for us to get our own picking.

If we manage to get Shaw...that's not going to be the norm. And even there we're paying a fuckload more than anybody else thinks is sane.

If we want established players...other clubs will be there willing to pay those big amounts. I think we'll have to go for these young talents and pay big for them. Which is fine...but then you might not get the immediate pay-off and it's still never a sure thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom