• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Schneiderlin is the best Arteta replacement we can hope for and at the perfect age.

And is it true Mesut Ozil never suffered a hamstring injury until he comes across the great Arsenal medical team? Just wow Arsene. Please sort this shit out.

I think that has less to do with the medical team and more to do with good old fashioned overplaying by Wenger: destroyer of hamstrings (see: Fabregas, Ramsey, etc.)

Arnie

I just read the £100k per week thing.

I take back everything I said about United not getting Shaw.

That's fucking barmy.

wedward

I think that has less to do with the medical team and more to do with good old fashioned overplaying by Wenger: destroyer of hamstrings (see: Fabregas, Ramsey, etc.)

Yup. The medical staff can only work with what they are given(overplayed players). Ozil basically played every single game from the day he signed until February.

Clegg

I just read the £100k per week thing.

I take back everything I said about United not getting Shaw.

That's fucking barmy.
I'd assumed you'd already seen that.

It's the reason I think we'll get him. Assuming the story is true and the figure correct. Still ridiculous amount to pay when there are fullbacks just as good who'd join for half the wage.

Arnie

I'd assumed you'd already seen that.

It's the reason I think we'll get him. Assuming the story is true and the figure correct. Still ridiculous amount to pay when there are fullbacks just as good who'd join for half the wage.
Nope, missed that one, haven't really kept up with the Shaw saga at all because I was resigned to him moving to Chelsea.

I believe he's worth a gargantuan fee but it's terrible practice to give a rookie 18 year old such a lucrative contract.

Shaw's laughing, though.
Covered the second most distance behind Ramsey.
Usually when people walk those sorts of distances they do it for charity.

wedward

Nope, missed that one, haven't really kept up with the Shaw saga at all because I was resigned to him moving to Chelsea.

I believe he's worth a gargantuan fee but it's terrible practice to give a rookie 18 year old such a lucrative contract.

Shaw's laughing, though.

Usually when people walk those sorts of distances they do it for charity.

He is still adjusting to Arsenal's doping program.

Arnie

lol

What business you expect from Liverpool this summer?
Lots.

Bazillions spent.

Mad targets.

Just don't know who they are yet because our club aren't leaking bollocks to the press in a bid to look top. Got other things on.

I suspect we won't hear much until Brendan signs his new deal. After which our owners have said Brendan can have whatever he wants.

Mad targets.

subtles

It would be brilliant if Shaw has a grudge for being turned down during his stint at Chelsea's development center.

Sweet talk him Brendan.

Arnie

Considering we pay Ashley Young getting 120k, have no CL football and Shaw is english. 100k isn't too bad.

Adnan is on 60k.
No, let's clarify this.

£60k for Adnan is ridiculous. Wouldn't happen at a club that knew how to care for youth development.

£100k for an 18 year old is obscene. Desperately obscene.

£100k a week for an 18 year old is Football Manager-esque.

....actually scratch that. In all my games I've never seen an 18 year old get 100k even IN FM2014. What's going on.

jtb

Banned
Bendtner, Denilson, and the like were on 50k/week deals iirc. don't really think 60k for a talented youngster is unprecedented or overpaying. you have to pay up or risk losing them for nothing.

100k is a bitter pill to swallow but at least you're buying a known commodity. only problem is that over time, that 100k is almost surely going to rise. but if he's the player we all think he's going to be (a 10+ year solution at LB) then it's hard to say it's not worth it.

Scum

Lots.

Bazillions spent.

Mad targets.

Just don't know who they are yet because our club aren't leaking bollocks to the press in a bid to look top. Got other things on.

I suspect we won't hear much until Brendan signs his new deal. After which our owners have said Brendan can have whatever he wants.

Mad targets.
Just stay away from Sandro.

K1LLER7

Lots.

Bazillions spent.

Mad targets.

Mad targets.
Heard Brandan has a theory of wanting to sign a variety player who have a funnier style of running than Henderson and Sterling........Yaya Sanogo has been contacted and is one of his mad targets.

subtles

Woodward will start offering him encouragement and advice after every game he plays in the WC in a bid to win his heart.

Then he'll (ever so subtly) remind him of the competitive salary package on offer.

It feels like every club is looking for a left back.

Elchele

Haha, yep! Dunno if it still works or not but it was a great little player. Too bad Zune Social was a bit undercooked and didn't have native last.fm scrobbling. Once I got an iPhone (3GS), I stopped using it.

haha, that's cool. I always wanted to try one, never got to see one irl.
I added you in lastfm btw

Arnie

José Mourinho;109273260 said:
Just read that Mourinho is being charged by the FA.

#KickSarcasmOut
Don't think anyone can say he doesn't deserve the charge, should he receive one.

His behaviour was way out of line and frankly embarrassing.

José Mourinho;109273719 said:
Nah, I don't subscribe to this bollocks that managers shouldn't be allowed to say what they want.
A manager can't say anything to the media but I do think that officials shouldn't be above criticism.

jtb

Banned
Mourinho can say what he wants. and then he'll serve his punishment and everyone will move on with life. win-win.

A manager can't say anything to the media but I do think that officials shouldn't be above criticism.
Perhaps say anything isn't exactly what I mean. I think managers should at least have more freedom than they do to speak their minds. Every other aspect of football gets scrutinised. Why shouldn't the officials and the FA?
Mourinho can say what he wants. and then he'll serve his punishment and everyone will move on with life. win-win.
It's not just about Mourinho though. Any manager should be allowed more freedom to speak their minds.

Is it a fine and a touchline ban?
No idea.

K1LLER7

No, let's clarify this.

£60k for Adnan is ridiculous. Wouldn't happen at a club that knew how to care for youth development.

£100k for an 18 year old is obscene. Desperately obscene.
Agree with Adnan.

Although with Shaw I think it's too high too early, throwing money at these guys will be the most likely way United can have any chance of signing them. Especially if they are wanted by CL playing clubs.

Arnie

José Mourinho;109273719 said:
Nah, I don't subscribe to this bollocks that managers shouldn't be allowed to say what they want.
I'd love it if managers could go ballistic and say whatever they wanted.

I really would. Honestly.

I'd prefer a mud slinging Battle Royale between Allardyce, Mourinho and Lee Mason.

Saying that, as the rules currently apply to every other manager in the league, Mourinho should be charged.

I'm sorry to disagree with you but I believe if a manager signs up to certain guidelines he shouldn't be exempt from them because he's Jose Mourinho.

Bad attitude, that.

Lightning

Banned
José Mourinho;109274088 said:
Perhaps say anything isn't exactly what I mean. I think managers should at least have more freedom than they do to speak their minds. Every other aspect of football gets scrutinised. Why shouldn't the officials and the FA?
It's not just about Mourinho though. Any manager should be allowed more freedom to speak their minds.

No idea.
Because it brings the game into disrepute. Mourinho basically implied that the refs had an agenda against his team, you can't have managers taking shots at the integrity of the league.

Criticizing a mistake is one thing, Mourinho went beyond that imo.

subtles

How much of an increase will he demand down the line if he's given £100k a week for his first contract?

The lad hasn't even stepped through the door and he's already in control.

Arnie

Because it brings the game into disrepute. Mourinho basically implied that the refs had an agenda against his team, you can't have managers taking shots at the integrity of the league.

Criticizing a mistake is one thing, Mourinho went beyond that imo.
And this.

Zabojnik

LVG's first order of business should be for Shaw's salary to come directly out of Rmpney's and force that failed Conte copycat to wire the money himself, on a weekly basis.

I'd love it if managers could go ballistic and say whatever they wanted.

I really would. Honestly.

I'd prefer a mud slinging Battle Royale between Allardyce, Mourinho and Lee Mason.

Saying that, as the rules currently apply to every other manager in the league, Mourinho should be charged.

I'm sorry to disagree with you but I believe if a manager signs up to certain guidelines he shouldn't be exempt from them because he's Jose Mourinho.

Bad attitude, that.
I'm not for a moment suggesting that Mourinho should be exempt by virtue of who he is, not at all. I've just always found the whole situation regarding managers freedom of speech, so to speak, a tad odd.

Officials shouldn't be beyond reproach. Nor should the FA, yet that's how they operate. Their inconsistencies, at all levels, should be fair topics of conversation.

I'm just amused by this recent scenario because they are effectively charging him of sarcasm. Really?

K1LLER7

How much of an increase will he demand down the line if he's given £100k a week for his first contract?

If he signs a 5 year deal, If his performances and ability continue to improve over 4 of those years, i'd guess it could rise to between 130k-200k. Would expect him to be a vital part of the United team if so.

If he plays poor, could cut it or sell. Depends on his performances in the end.

Clegg

Doesn't seem like the club is thinking that far ahead. If we manage to sign him it's because we're desperate to make a statement after such a dreadful season by our standards.

It's not a great way to foster youth development, but the youth teams themselves need a big overhaul. It appears as if nothing really changed from the mid 90's when we produced that great crop of players. There's been the odd gem, but not enough to really brag about. The scouting and youth set up needs an overhaul. In fairness to Moyes, he recognised that and was attempting to set new structures in place. But results for the senior team were so poor that he had to go.

subtles

The real shame is that managers are obligated to do the interviews, even when they're clearly emotional (which is the bit media love the most,) but aren't allowed to speak their mind.

faridmon

Since every club and their mother is cherry picking Southampton, the rumour is that, we are intending to sign Jay Rodriguez this summer.

Saints sorry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom