• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

That actually worked out very well for us. We escaped a suspension because of that mistake.
Oh yeah forgot he didn't get suspended lol.

Wonder how Van Gaal will use Januzaj next season. Think he needs to hit the gym and lift some weights. Build some strength.

Think he'll play in the last 4 games under Giggs. They seem to be close.

EmiPrime

José Mourinho;109275543 said:
I've just always found the whole situation regarding managers freedom of speech, so to speak, a tad odd.

I'll clear it up for you; they don't have freedom of speech.

They can't slag off the club's sponsors, they can't announce that they want to buy a player who is currently under contract with another club and they can't imply that there is a conspiracy organised by the referees to defraud their team. There are a lot of things a manager can't say.

G.Newell

What if Woodward has put in a lot of performance and marketing clauses in the contract like he supposedly did with rooney. He could be on 50-60k plus a share of his image rights for marketing that the clubs does and performance based incentives that can boost his wage. I wouldn't mind so much at that as we would only be paying the full 100k if we were getting the best out of him.

Arnie

José Mourinho;109275543 said:
I'm not for a moment suggesting that Mourinho should be exempt by virtue of who he is, not at all. I've just always found the whole situation regarding managers freedom of speech, so to speak, a tad odd.

Officials shouldn't be beyond reproach. Nor should the FA, yet that's how they operate. Their inconsistencies, at all levels, should be fair topics of conversation.

I'm just amused by this recent scenario because they are effectively charging him of sarcasm. Really?
Except he isn't being charged with a sanction against sarcasm.

He's being charged for bringing the game into disrepute by very openly suggesting an officiating conspiracy.

The method he used to deliver that was sarcasm; he was not punished for this method.

If he'd sarcastically said "I thought we played with attacking invention" he wouldn't have been charged.

You know this. So I don't know why you're pretending otherwise. If I was to go into a police station and imply - through the use of overt sarcasm - that I'd burnt down a building, I'd be detained.

Do you see my point (it's late and I feel like I'm speaking in riddles).

Doesn't seem like the club is thinking that far ahead. If we manage to sign him it's because we're desperate to make a statement after such a dreadful season by our standards.

It's not a great way to foster youth development, but the youth teams themselves need a big overhaul. It appears as if nothing really changed from the mid 90's when we produced that great crop of players. There's been the odd gem, but not enough to really brag about. The scouting and youth set up needs an overhaul. In fairness to Moyes, he recognised that and was attempting to set new structures in place. But results for the senior team were so poor that he had to go.

There was one massive difference between the 90s and the 00s. The catchment area. It finally changed back to how it used to be in 2009 or 2011.

United weren't producing great players so Fergie changed the way United focused on youth. He increased the amount of scouts to buy young foreign talent. That is why you saw Januzaj, Daehli, Pogba, Da Silva twins, etc...

It actually worked.

The problem came after when they were ready to make the step up.

Just think about it. Within a 4 year period United could have had Januzaj, Daehli, Pogba, Ravel, and James Wilson making the step up. It didn't work out as planned, but that's life.

Oh yeah forgot he didn't get suspended lol.

Wonder how Van Gaal will use Januzaj next season. Think he needs to hit the gym and lift some weights. Build some strength.

Think he'll play in the last 4 games under Giggs. They seem to be close.

He's hench enough as it is now.

Van Gaal doesn't allow headphones in public view.

Van Persie gonna be mad.

By the by - Ogden now running with the Giggs/Scholes coup story. Our heroes.

There was one massive difference between the 90s and the 00s. The catchment area. It finally changed back to how it used to be in 2009 or 2011.

United weren't producing great players so Fergie changed the way United focused on youth. He increased the amount of scouts to buy young foreign talent. That is why you saw Januzaj, Daehli, Pogba, Da Silva twins, etc...

It actually worked.

The problem came after when they were ready to make the step up.

Just think about it. Within a 4 year period United could have had Januzaj, Daehli, Pogba, Ravel, and James Wilson making the step up. It didn't work out as planned, but that's life.
Have you heard any more about Wilson's injury? I heard he will be back soon. Hope Giggs gives him his debut.

Arnie

Another good point:

Cavani had a pop at us for not giving Suarez Champions League football.

Definitely not moving to United.

Arnie

Dat EPL though.
I suppose the Premier League draw after a season in France is akin to stumbling through the desert for five whole days with only a morbid cycle of rung out sweat and arse water to wet your lips, and then, miraculously, you spot an ice cold can of Fanta Fruit Twist dwelling in the shade of a cactus.

And then the Champions League is a straw to drink it.

But Cavani doesn't need a straw now. In any other situation he would, but here he wants to empty the refrigerated liquid all over his fucking chops in a Seppuku-like ritual of rehydration.

He wants nothing to distract from that distinct EPLness as he replenishes his appetite for life.

Yen

Tall people of footy-gaf: where do you buy your trousers? I wear 38" leg, 32" waist, and you just don't seem to get those in the UK.

Another good point:

Cavani had a pop at us for not giving Suarez Champions League football.

Definitely not moving to United.

Yeah, but he knows United will give £300k to an old potato.

I suppose the Premier League draw after a season in France is akin to stumbling through the desert for five whole days with only a morbid cycle of rung out sweat and arse water to wet your lips, and then, miraculously, you spot an ice cold can of Fanta Fruit Twist dwelling in the shade of a cactus.

And then the Champions League is a straw to drink it.

But Cavani doesn't need a straw now. In any other situation he would, but here he wants to empty the refrigerated liquid all over his fucking chops in a Seppuku-like ritual of rehydration.

He wants nothing to distract from that distinct EPLness as he replenishes his appetite for life.
I'm pretty sure he's coming.

Maybe he and Suarez can room together.

Tall people of footy-gaf: where do you buy your trousers? I wear 38" leg, 32" waist, and you just don't seem to get those in the UK.

Do you mean actual trousers or chino types.

Either way, Uniqlo have alot of their stuff cut long and then offer free/cheap adjustments. Often seen 32/38's there. I don't know if they provide tailoring online though.

K1LLER7

He's hench enough as it is now.

Van Gaal doesn't allow headphones in public view.

Van Persie gonna be mad.

By the by - Ogden now running with the Giggs/Scholes coup story. Our heroes.

Have you heard any more about Wilson's injury? I heard he will be back soon. Hope Giggs gives him his debut.
Just think he goes down too easily at times.

Van Gaal sounds crazy but I want him at United lol Cheers for posting those interview links earlier. Going to read, then go to bed.

I miss Scholes. Watching Modric today reminded me of him. Scholes GOAT ;_;

LegoArmo

Mourinho is down to 9/1 from somewhere near 40/1 with the bookies. There's going to be a lot of disappointed gamblers putting money on that.

Van Gaal sounds crazy but I want him at United lol Cheers for posting those interview links earlier. Going to read, then go to bed.

Cos he's a diver. He is plenty strong enough to hold challenges off and protect the ball. His frame will fill out a bit more as he gets older. His balance is his best attribute, don't want him going all Lampard on us.

I haven't read the super long one but the 3 part one was an interesting read. Obviously it's him bigging himself up but he makes himself sound like somebody who is very composed and calculated...i'm not sure where his moments of madness fit into it all.

Kroos' diagonals remind me of Scholes. He's got that shit down.

Yen

Do you mean actual trousers or chino types.

Either way, Uniqlo have alot of their stuff cut long and then offer free/cheap adjustments. Often seen 32/38's there. I don't know if they provide tailoring online though.

Cheers m8. Looking for chinos, suit trousers in my size seem to be more available. Will try Uniqlo online, not sure they have a Belfast store.

Cos he's a diver. He is plenty strong enough to hold challenges off and protect the ball. His frame will fill out a bit more as he gets older. His balance is his best attribute, don't want him going all Lampard on us.

I haven't read the super long one but the 3 part one was an interesting read. Obviously it's him bigging himself up but he makes himself sound like somebody who is very composed and calculated...i'm not sure where his moments of madness fit into it all.

I don't want him to get bigger either. No point in turning him into a monster like Ronaldo. Completely different play styles. United always try and get every player big though.

Aside from diving, another reason why he goes down easily is because he corners himself on the left wing. He favors his left foot so much that he always has the defender on his right side and that limits the space he has out there. He gets toppled over a lot when doing that.

#ForzaRightWing

Clegg

Do you have a link for the Van Gaal thing?

I'd be interested in reading it.

K1LLER7

Hmm he needs to cut it out then innit. Refs never give him fouls anymore. Poor Adnan.

Looking forward to LVG press con's. He really doesn't take no shit thrown his way. Think he kicked Ladyman out of a presser once lol.

Kroos has the diagonals but lacks everything else. Rooney can hit those diagonals often too. Wouldn't mind seeing him at CM at some point.

Seriously, think Modric is the closest player I've seen to a Paul Scholes for a while. So calm on the ball, never rushed and has a brilliant range to his passing. Controls games. Gets about and can tackle. Don't think he scores as much though.

Scholes would make others around him look better. We needed to clone him. Big risk on Carvalho if we get him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF7i4TPlMtM

ilFIpz3gDM5j3.gif

Clegg

Finished reading the LVG interviews. He clearly rates Strootman very highly. Praised his instinctual intelligence and stamina. Also places a lot of trust in Danny Blind to help implement his tactics.

They have a massive database for scouting Dutch players for the national side and a shortlist of 50 players tthat rotates depending on the stats.

Oh and he likes possession based football but isn't a fan of the Barcelona method as he finds it boring. The guy is a hero.

Turok_TTZ

I believe in the Benz, for he is the one foretold in prophecy.
I will never stop believing in the Benz. Haterz can choke on their haterade, when Benzema exerts his influence to the max... Not even Burger (formerly king) Dictator Mehssi can stop him.

oh and Guardiola is a hipster and a coward who got lucky. He should ask Jupp Heynckes for advice on how to beat Real Madrid. that is all.

I kinda feel bad for Moyes... He genuinely wanted to achieve at United but everything felt like was against him. Fuck those players that mocked him openly. At one point it was very evident the players on the pitch didnt want to play for him.

jtb

Banned
remember when for like a two or three month period the consensus was that Giroud was better than Benzema? good times

Jarnet87

Laughable that we are in a fight to keep Welbeck and Cleverly. If we sign Shaw like the papers have suggested we could just promote Wilson. Boom 2 English players out, 2 in. Sell those 2 brats to mid table clubs where they belong.

faridmon

Laughable that we are in a fight to keep Welbeck and Cleverly. If we sign Shaw like the papers have suggested we could just promote Wilson. Boom 2 English players out, 2 in. Sell those 2 brats to mid table clubs where they belong.

But they are leaving Man United...

MPW

i fear chances cr7 and di maria missed will come back to haunt madrid

madrid going to munich 3-0 up would have been so much better

bayern still the fav to go through

Lightning

Banned
i fear chances cr7 and di maria missed will come back to haunt madrid

madrid going to munich 3-0 up would have been so much better

bayern still the fav to go through
Bayern didn't get that crucial away goal. Arsenal and United scored in Munich so Madrid better score too. Then just don't concede 3 and you're through.

Madrid is a good position.

Blablurn

And how bad was Ribery? Rummenigge made a fould out of himself when he said "he is 100% sure Ribery will show off a world class performance" lol.

Sometuing is definitely wrong with Ribery. I hope they can fix him somehow. Sometimes I really hate when the attitude of those football players is based on their emotional feelings. It's the worst with Ribery. You earn your 10m per year, so you better show up with it matters. There are rumors that the Ballon d'Or vote broke him lol.

MPW

Bayern didn't get that crucial away goal. Arsenal and United scored in Munich so Madrid better score too. Then just don't concede 3 and you're through.

Madrid is a good position.

did you see dortmund vs real madrid 2nd leg?

going to munich only 1-0 up isn't all that great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom