• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtles

did you see dortmund vs real madrid 2nd leg?

going to munich only 1-0 up isn't all that great

It's ultimately the best result of the semis.

If Chelsea concede an early goal at the Bridge it will be very difficult seeing them go through with the fire power at their disposal.

Whatever happens next week, Madrid's game plan got them a respectable result. I'd simply argue that if you can't score in Munich with such an advantage you deserve to be knocked out.

Razgreez

And how bad was Ribery? Rummenigge made a fould out of himself when he said "he is 100% sure Ribery will show off a world class performance" lol.

Sometuing is definitely wrong with Ribery. I hope they can fix him somehow. Sometimes I really hate when the attitude of those football players is based on their emotional feelings. It's the worst with Ribery. You earn your 10m per year, so you better show up with it matters. There are rumors that the Ballon d'Or vote broke him lol.

Ribery is a confidence player so the ballon d'or definitely affected him however, it's appears more as though the injury hampered his game. Let's not forget robben went through the same sort of thing last season after returning from injury and it appeared as though he had lost a yard of pace and he kept making the worst decisions in front of goal. He eventually redeemed himself - ribery should be able to do likewise

Blablurn

Ribery is a confidence player so the ballon d'or definitely affected him however, it's appears more as though the injury hampered his game. Let's not forget robben went through the same sort of thing last season after returning from injury and it appeared as though he had lost a yard of pace and he kept making the worst decisions in front of goal. He eventually redeemed himself - ribery should be able to do likewise

Robben always had the balls. Not sure about Ribery :/ Ah well. Can't be too angry. We played a worldclasss side. You cannot always win.

Blablurn

I bought the whole confidence stuff in 2009/2010. But not anymore.

They even asked Ribery if everything is alright in the last week and apparently he said yeah. If he really has a problem he should come out with it.

subtles

I'm off to see what's new at the realm of the Blue Moon.

I have a feeling it'll be a lot worst...

Edit: I won't be returning anytime soon.

Salazar

always mix up: is that the bellend Pool forum or the bellend United forum?

Bellend United one is rancid, don't get me wrong

But it's not quite as jammed full of bootlicking "that was a gud sonnet about Flanagan m8" "Grrrr, bacon-face, grrrr" twats as RAWK. Dunno how most of them maintain any kind of interest when the level of obnoxious consensus is generally so fucking high.

Razgreez

I bought the whole confidence stuff in 2009/2010. But not anymore.

They even asked Ribery if everything is alright in the last week and apparently he said yeah. If he really has a problem he should come out with it.

You can't tell me you've watched ribery play and not seen how emotional he gets especially during off the ball incidents. He's always been that type of player. And how many players are going to come out and say "yeah i'm not in the right place mentally right now and it's affecting my game". That's not the duty of players to say but it is the job of managers to understand. Put forward your best team and right now ribery is not part of that "best team" so simply don't pick him - or in the very least play him off the bench. Slowly build up his confidence against weak opposition and before you know it the lull would be over - potentially

Bellend United one is rancid, don't get me wrong

But it's not quite as jammed full of bootlicking "that was a gud sonnet about Flanagan m8" "Grrrr, bacon-face, grrrr" twats as RAWK. Dunno how most of them maintain any kind of interest when the level of obnoxious consensus is generally so fucking high.

imagine them winning the title...

save us, City.

Can't see that happening if Van Gaal joins.

Guardian says we want Cavani as there is a recognition that we lack pace and dynamism up front. But surely Cavani, RVP and Rooney wouldn't be able to play together?

Please. We gave Rooney a five year 300k contract. Woodward loves him some marketable players. Team chemistry is secondary. :(

If we spend £60m on another striker and STILL fail to get a CM in who is actually capable of filling the gaping hole in the middle of the park I will be furious.

Luckily we have 0 chance of getting Cavani.

Considerably higher than 0 chance of failing to get a CM anyway

Amen.

Can't guess half the transfer budget (or whatever it is) and teenagers you hope the new manager wants

Give him 3/4 transfer windows to remold an aging squad, not presume what he wants.

Whatevs, this could all be done.

Chelsea did it before the first Jose stint (Robben, Drogba, etc.). I remember Bayern signed a player or two (Robben again?) before LVG came in for their double-winning 2010 season. So it can definitely work out.

Salazar

Please. We gave Rooney a five year 300k contract. Woodward loves him some marketable players. Team chemistry is secondary. :(

Reading this article

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/23/manchester-united-manager-successor-david-moyes

with Wooders in mind is a horrifying experience. See, I know Van Gaal knows what he's talking about. I know Ancelotti knows what he's talking about. But it's not good when you put all your trust in the people outside (and only potentially part of) the administration of the club.

Wonder how LVG handles interviews, too. There's a bit of obligatory patronising stuff that goes on, and it's not outlandish* to imagine him barking "the fuck do you think" to a few of the mooted questions.

*Well, it is a bit. He reputedly very much wants the job. Sure he can behave.

Fady K

Chelsea can obv play whatever way they like and that's fair enough and considering the circumstances it made some sense to set up the way they did yesterday.

But

I'll still maintain that I think it's a shame a club with such resource is yet to commit to a more expansive and exciting way of playing. Don't expect Chelsea or it's fans to care, if they win they're happy. But comments like "it's about more than winning" aren't ridiculous at all IMO. It's a perfectly justifiable point of view. Surely Chelsea fans would be happier winning in more style? Were it possible of course. Is it possible for Chelsea...I think so.

I agree. Looking at the team sheet before playing against Aston Villa, Sunderland, Crystal Palace, etc. - the potential from the list alone is so exciting - Salah, Willian, Oscar, Schurrle, etc - but when it comes to the actual match the teams tend to "not click" during games against certain compact teams and there is no flow, excitement or creativity to the attack whatsoever. It is frustrating to watch but not sure what can be done to fix it at the moment. Although a good striker is pivotal to have for the club, I can't help but feel that something is not clicking from the MIDDLE of the pitch, or from the attacking mids. Too slow, too sloppy, etc. Even Hazard has not been attempting many take ons in his last few games. If CFC would be happier winning in style I'm all for it, surely every sane CFC fan would love this were it possible ;D

The artist is great; nailed the players and mou well haha.

That's about as "B team" as you can get for Chelsea.

That can't be right. Kalas, Christensen starting at Anfield? Van Ginkel's first CFC game in over 6 months at Anfield? HILARIO? Ake??? We may very well lose even if Terry and Cech started. This may lead to embarrassment however.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Let's discuss Juve.

Players in: Scuffet, Nani, Berardi, Verratrayor

Players out: Pogba

edit: Jesus christ. I see why Zabo and Yurt want him so much. His fucking name and well, just look at him. He's the next Buffon.
<3
Juve bros, how likely is Scuffet to Juve?

Very likely
buffon-scuffet-a.jpg
and it helps that he's owned by our feeder club :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
^
Conte "Tevez is back training. I'll wait until Thursday before deciding whether he'll start or not,"

"Vidal is out. We'll let him rest up and hopefully he'll be back within a week's time."

-_-

&#8220;Jorge Jesus is doing a great job with Benfica, I have an immense respect for him and his team.

bjaelke

"I expected more from Real," said 30-year-old ex-Chelsea forward Robben.
"I expected them to come storming out of the gates, but instead they waited and allowed us to run the game. That surprised me."
"We wanted to have a lot of possession and have a quick transition from defence to attack. We controlled the game, but Madrid were waiting to counter-attack and they have the players to take advantage of this."
taVQbOF.gif

subtles

There was nothing quick about their transitions.

I was always under the impression that scoring without conceding was the definition of controlling a game.

Blablurn

3 - Bayern have failed to score in 3 of their last 6 competitive games, before that they needed 113 games for 3 games without a goal. Weary.

Blablurn

There were a couple of almost completed set pieces, but yeah, Götze's shot was pretty much the first clear chance (although Robben turning around and missing the goal was nice).

It was just too static, no one ran into open spaces, none of our players forced Real to react. Robben seemed like he wanted to win, but then he was suddenly alone against three Real players and no one of Bayern had run with him. They're all technically right that we "controlled" the match, but we did jack shit with our possession, we wasted it.

We could've kept the ball in our own half and it wouldn't have made a damn difference.

The game against Hoffenheim some weeks ago was crucial for our recent form. First of all it was the first game after Pep said the championship is over. As a result players lost their focus. Secondly, Thiago got injured which is the biggest dilemma. And we also managed to screw up a 3:1 lead at home. Fuck Hoffenheim.

Doesn't change the fact that Madrid showed up a splendid defensive strategy. The counters were top noth. We're lucky that they didnt kill us like Dortmund did some weeks ago. It's okay if we lose this round.

I'm already looking forward to next season. After all we're getting the world's best striker :)

subtles

Tall, lanky lads like Lewandowski and Ibrahimovic have no right being as graceful as they are.

Andy Carroll is weeping somewhere,

Jack cw

Grats to Real to a brilliant performance. I hope you win this agsinst Chelsea now!
I cant see us scoring 2 or 3 goals in the second leg simply because Peps tactics and formation doesnt work. We dont play straight forward, no pace, no left wing, no shooting from outside the box. Its nice to dominate Real in Bernabeu but having 14 corners, an NO real chance to score is simply bad for Bayern.

4-3-3 with Schweinsteiger and Lahm didnt work, Rafinha was the wrong choice. The game got better for Bayern when Martinez came in and Götze replacing the corpse of Ribery. We only have a chance if Pep steps down from his elitist tiki taka bullshit and starts with 4-2-1-3 with Müller, Martinez and Götze and without Ribery, Rafinha and Schweinsteiger. Relentless attacks with overlapping wingers are the only chance we have. Basically what Heynckes did last season.

What we are playing right now is legacy to van Gaal and early Heynckes era. More counter pressing, less static passes pls. Less is more, Pep....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom