• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1NETT

If Wilson and Adnan start....the gifs will be glorious

--

Arrow....shoddy episode but hot damn at that ending

Don't even go into the OT, pricks aren't even bothering to think about spoiler tagging anything

Mods pls.

Blablurn

barcafrontrow7kcv4.png

if u no wot i mean

haha

Gambit

Something happened in the last few weeks with Peps tactics. We scored more goals than last season but suddenly we want to control things instead of attacking the opponent. Right now, Peps tactics are painful to watch and his inability to dismiss Ribery and Schweinsteiger on the bench and finally play the 4-2-3-1 of Heynckes again that he played for the last 6 months. Really, I dont know what happened in the last weeks with Pep.

We were great until the league was over.

Yes, something was lost. Before then the Bavarian breed of tiki-taka was quite good. Now it's all foreplay and no penetration.

Oh please :lol I still think getting back to Germany with only ONE goal down is not a bad result. Madrid will do fuck in the Allianz Arena.

Not so sure. Their counterattacks left me scared. Also, I think Bayern will just play exactly like they did in Madrid. Hopefully at least without Rafinha.

Maybe it'll help Bayern if both Ronaldo and Bale start. That might leave a little more space.

BTW: I'm enjoying this. I've really missed footy-gaf.

LTWheels

Saw Captain America 2 last night. Really enjoyed it. Think it's the best of the Marvel films.

Although there were two things I found really stupid:
cutting holes through solid concrete roads to escape from being trapped in cars
and
the brain backed up on the old computers

News is slow at the moment, and most of the stuff that does come out is negative. Hopefully things will get better around E3.

Apparently Papadopalous has played 4 games all season, and is now out with a dislocated shoulder. Massive bullet dodged there.

Yep. Slight shame to miss out on the Mama&Papa partnership though :p

Don't believe for a second that Chelsea will play such a weakened team. Second/third choice players where possible, no chance they'll be voluntarily giving debuts to their reserves though. Go ito the match assuming they'll play full strength, play it as though they are playing full-strength. No complacency pls.

Saw a few people saying we play possession football yesterday, I disagree a bit. We keep hold of the ball more than most, but we have no problem with risking losing it in the final third when we look for the burst of incision and penetration. We also play more long balls than teams which play true possession football. I have the feeling that Rodgers intended to make us a tiki-taka bunch of knobends when he arrived, but has put that on the backburner as we don't really have the players for it, and our best players are much better playing the more direct, open style we're employing now.

Hopefully he keeps it that way and decides that the defense is better fixed with better coaching and personnel, rather than the 'you can't concede if you have the ball' mantra which Pep has now ruined two teams with (entertainment-wise), and made Spain into the most boring team in history at Euro 2012 (before the final)

On this season review, Georgie Thompson called Tony Hibbert 'Gary Hibbert'

Poor guy :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Wow, you guys pretty well. 12 shots on target against Madrid is pretty good! I'm guessing we'd hit 4 on target if we're lucky :p

And we were killing them in the first game, until Cristina's thighs collapsed under the weight of her accumulated menstrual blood.

injustica

and now we're in europa

playing on tuesdays

on my day out

fuck everything and everyone (except u)
Not so sure. Their counterattacks left me scared. Also, I think Bayern will just play exactly like they did in Madrid. Hopefully at least without Rafinha.

Maybe it'll help Bayern if both Ronaldo and Bale start. That might leave a little more space.

BTW: I'm enjoying this. I've really missed footy-gaf.

I don't get how how someone like Rafinha is playing for Bayern. He wasn't even good enough for Italy. And welcome back buddy ;)

Scum

Lately I'm getting more and more turned off by the Gaming Forum here on GAF. Feels strange. Everytime I enter a thread I expect that a lot of hardcore nerds posting here. Makes me feel uncomfortable. That latest thread about "Rate Final Fantasy Commercials of the last 15 years" is so weird. So fucking weird. Who comes up with that? Why?

:(
Because big name publishers have turned customers into bean counters and console warriors. Most of these gamers these days don't play games, they play "champion the one with the big numbers!"

News is slow at the moment, and most of the stuff that does come out is negative. Hopefully things will get better around E3.

Apparently Papadopalous has played 4 games all season, and is now out with a dislocated shoulder. Massive bullet dodged there.

loooooool. Things will get worse. Thank fuck for the World Cup.

I use the gaming side for the latest news but otherwise the discussions you see there are no different to the turds of GameFAQs.
Yep.

Started the last game against Fulham

PC bros, Dark Souls 2 today

220px-leonardo_dicaprv4a29.png

I still need to play the first one. lol

God, I am so glad we've sacked Moyes. He had the academy players doing more physical/athletic work too. Fucking dinosaur.

His appointment was an incredibly awful awful idea.

Meanwhile, his "mind guru" has been popping off on twitter:

@mfinnigani2i: 'Revenge is a dish best served cold' So, summer off from football,then WE are coming after you You will rue the day. Spineless. Self-serving

@mfinnigani2i: September, we'll be back, raring to go, 'hungry like the wolf'. Cannot wait.

Woodward better hide.

Blablurn

Because big name publishers have turned customers into bean counters and console warriors. Most of these gamers these days don't play games, they play "champion the one with the big numbers!"

Yo :/ I thought that would end at some point... but nope.

The gaming forum has become kinda weird and it's also made me a bit uncomfortable. Maybe we're just too old.

Could be the case :(

But yeah, that uncomfortable feeling is really there lately. very strange.

What happened to Jack Robinson. He was meant to be the one most likely to make it a couple years back.

He just looks a bit clunky somehow. Robotic, almost. And vacant defensively

Plus, his disciplinary record is brass. Thought him and Kelly were dead certs, which is why I'm keeping the Rossiter and McLaughlin hype down.

Kelly would have been boss though if he weren't so injury-prone though, to be fair to him.

Gambit

Saw Captain America 2 last night. Really enjoyed it. Think it's the best of the Marvel films.

Although there were two things I found really stupid:
cutting holes through solid concrete roads to escape from being trapped in cars
and
the brain backed up on the old computers

I'm with you on the concrete roads thing, but the other is a comic-book and Sci-Fi mainstay. It was a genuine surprise for me and I didn't mind it at all.

Also, I agree: Cap 2 is my favourite Marvel film so far. It's just a genuinely great action film on its own. And the Winter Soldier felt like a Terminator-level threat.

subtles

Yep. Slight shame to miss out on the Mama&Papa partnership though :p

Don't believe for a second that Chelsea will play such a weakened team. Second/third choice players where possible, no chance they'll be voluntarily giving debuts to their reserves though. Go ito the match assuming they'll play full strength, play it as though they are playing full-strength. No complacency pls.

Saw a few people saying we play possession football yesterday, I disagree a bit. We keep hold of the ball more than most, but we have no problem with risking losing it in the final third when we look for the burst of incision and penetration. We also play more long balls than teams which play true possession football. I have the feeling that Rodgers intended to make us a tiki-taka bunch of knobends when he arrived, but has put that on the backburner as we don't really have the players for it, and our best players are much better playing the more direct, open style we're employing now.

Hopefully he keeps it that way and decides that the defense is better fixed with better coaching and personnel, rather than the 'you can't concede if you have the ball' mantra which Pep has now ruined two teams with (entertainment-wise), and made Spain into the most boring team in history at Euro 2012 (before the final)

On this season review, Georgie Thompson called Tony Hibbert 'Gary Hibbert'

Poor guy :p
I have this odd theory, one only supported by filling in the blanks after reading his quotes, that the Bayern-Barca game - coupled with the new additions at the time - changed his opinion on the game somewhat. He still wants to dominate the ball, but not in the way offered by Tiki Taka.

Fady K

And we were killing them in the first game, until Cristina's thighs collapsed under the weight of her accumulated menstrual blood.

injustica

and now we're in europa

playing on tuesdays

on my day out

fuck everything and everyone (except u)

<3

You won't be able to watch the match??

I have faith that this will be a better match than both CL semifinals. A match between two epic teams worthy of playing a semifinal of the CL today ;]

kmax

Hello lads, what a good way to start the day.

Missed the game last night as I was working, so I was on a complete blackout until I woke up this morning and watched the game.

Bayern are and were absolutely potent. Such a fantastic team they have. No wonder why they're the Champions of Germany and Europe. I think however that they've lost their offensive edge somewhat in favor of possession with Pep if you compare them under Heynckes reign. No doubt about it though, we were arguably up against the best team in the world, so I wasn't surprised to see Bayern control the game right from the get go. We were understandably conservative for large parts of the game, but we were anticipating that they'd have the ball. We're kind of used to that when we face Barcelona. I was a bit scared to see Pepe - Ramos as CB's as they have a tendency to fuck up in the big games when they play together, but I was very happy with their performance, although Pepe was a bit of a cunt with his theatrics. Solid defensive work nonetheless. Carvajal's a solid wing back, but he too has a tendency to fuck up by going too far up the pitch, leaving a huge chunk of space on his flank. He did the same mistake against Barcelona, witch ultimately led to a goal to them.

Glad to see Ronaldo back on the field again. Too bad he couldn't play the whole game, but it's understandable as he just came back from an injury. I had rather seen Di Maria get substituted in favor for Bale, as he had a poor performance. I'm also very happy with Modric and Alonso who handled Bayern's insane pressure very well. Solid defensive work, and great offensive balls to the flanks. As for Bayern, Robben proves once again that he's an absolute beast. He really bossed that right flank, which gave Real huge problems in the back. I'm glad that they couldn't convert, because they could of easily scored a few from that flank. I'm also impressed with Alaba, who put Di Maria in his pocket many times. Great display by him.

Anyway, good result for us, although I think that both Ronaldo and Di Maria could of done better with their opportunities in the first half. I'm just glad that Bayern didn't score, as an away goal would of weighed heavily in their favor. I almost had an heart attack when Götze fired that rocket at the end of the game, but Casillas was great in goal.

To round this up, I think that we'll see a much more hungry Bayern in the second leg. They kind of dozed off in many parts of the second half, but I don't think we'll see any of that in the return. They're going to apply insane pressure to level the score, which is good for us in a way, since we prey on counter attacks. If both Bale and Ronaldo are fully fit, I expect them both to play from the get-go. Whatever happens, I'm absolutely certain that we'll see goals, and that it will be one hell of a game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I have faith that this will be a better match than both CL semifinals. A match between two epic teams worthy of playing a semifinal of the CL today ;]
It's such a degrading sight though.
You won't be able to watch the match??
it depends on a couple of things! But we'll see.

Euvopa will sadly come second tonight.

Jack cw

I don't get how how someone like Rafinha is playing for Bayern. He wasn't even good enough for Italy. And welcome back buddy ;)

Pep thinks Lahm is a central midfielder....
Well, anyways the critics here in Germany and from Sapin regarding his tactics are pitch perfect. I hope he reads some of those and react properly.

Football is about scoring goals and not winning possession.

Scum

The gaming forum has become kinda weird and it's also made me a bit uncomfortable. Maybe we're just too old.

I don't think it's just that. It's a mixture of all sorts of developments and issues.
Oh, most definitely. Imagine if they actually played games and discussed that for a majority of the time? :eek:

God, I am so glad we've sacked Moyes. He had the academy players doing more physical/athletic work too. Fucking dinosaur.

Woodward better hide.
Didn't Martinez mention something about this? That's all Moyes was doing at Everton.

Yo :/ I thought that would end at some point... but nope.

Could be the case :(

But yeah, that uncomfortable feeling is really there lately. very strange.
:-/

He just looks a bit clunky somehow. Robotic, almost. And vacant defensively

Plus, his disciplinary record is brass. Thought him and Kelly were dead certs, which is why I'm keeping the Rossiter and McLaughlin hype down.

Kelly would have been boss though if he weren't so injury-prone though, to be fair to him.

Clanky? Robotic?? Vacant??! Welcome to InterTim lolspurs, Jack! £50m!

Jack cw

Mandukic crossing into an empty box is the most bizarre thing I've seen for a while. That's the tactical insanity we saw with Carroll under Kenny.

It is... I dont know what Pep was smoking but thats the job of the full backs, not the centre forward... Man, that game yesterday revealed everything whats wrong with the current Pep Bayern. Its so easy to fix but he appears blind...

Hixx

Michael Johnson isn't looking half bad these days huh

The lad in the picture is the spit of someone I went to school with.

His nickname was Porky - he was fat but he wasn't called Porky because he was fat. It was because his surname was Lamb.

#teenagebantz

Fady K

It's such a degrading sight though.

it depends on a couple of things! But we'll see.

Euvopa will sadly come second tonight.

Of course, CL is the premium European football experience though having lived through Europa league nights myself last I was happy to have more matches to enjoy against very decent European opposition, especially towards the end of the competition.

Hope you to get catch it though mate!

GoonerGAF should tune in to Sevilla v Valencia tonight. Carlos Bacca might be the one.

He's already performed v the big 3 (3 goals v Real, Miranda struggled at the Calderon, and hit the post a couple times v Barca), and has generally been impressive. Now it's just about seeing how he does in the EL latter stages and the World Cup, where he should be starting. He has the attributes though. Very direct, Ramsey and Theo would love him.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
HAHAHAH

Miccoli (former Juve and Benfica player) “I’m very attached to Benfica, I played in the Champions League with them and scored several goals, and won a Super Cup.

“From the very start I established a good relationship with the fans of the Aquile, while those of the Bianconeri hate me…

“Who will I be supporting? Juventus sent me away, Benfica took me, it is easy to understand where the heart is.

“I have always been sincere - had it not been Benfica then I would be cheering Juventus because they are an Italian team, but the heart says Benfica, they treated me very well in Lisbon.
miccoli-benfica490ai.jpg

No hard feelings Miccoli, I'm sorry we were shit to you. Even though you probably deserved it.
Of course, CL is the premium European football experience though having lived through Europa league nights myself last I was happy to have more matches to enjoy against very decent European opposition, especially towards the end of the competition.

Hope you to get catch it though mate!

I hope so too Fady!

I hope we find Migs a top class GK coach.

Needs a bit of work before the CL crosses flood our boxes.

We have a lot of work to do to get ready for the CL. We might have enough to get through the group stage without too much change, but the best teams in the world will exploit the fuck out of us if we don't organise ourselves a bit better

1) Keeper's command of his box
2) Keeper's willingness to leave his line, let the defense play higher up
3) Wide forwards and midfielders covering the fullbacks more, don't allow so many crosses
4) Another midfielder to cover the back 4 when necessary, Gerrard can't do it on his own
5) Lists look better with intervals of 5 innit

Fergie

Banned

Woodward better hide.
Only thing pleased about with Moyes derpature. Draconian as fuck.

We have a lot of work to do to get ready for the CL. We might have enough to get through the group stage without too much change, but the best teams in the world will exploit the fuck out of us if we don't organise ourselves a bit better

1) Keeper's command of his box
2) Keeper's willingness to leave his line, let the defense play higher up
3) Wide forwards and midfielders covering the fullbacks more, don't allow so many crosses
4) Another midfielder to cover the back 4 when necessary, Gerrard can't do it on his own
5) Lists look better with intervals of 5 innit

IMO we need

First Team/Back Up Keeper
First Team LB
First Team RB
First Team/Back up CB
First Team Left Wing
First Team DM

Razgreez

Pep thinks Lahm is a central midfielder....
Well, anyways the critics here in Germany and from Sapin regarding his tactics are pitch perfect. I hope he reads some of those and react properly.

Football is about scoring goals and not winning possession.

He openly admitted he doesn't even listen to his wife when she tells him it's clear he's messing up the teams rhythm by playing the players out of position and not sticking to playing his best team so I seriously doubt the pundits' words will have an effect on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom