• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoArmo

Barcelona ruined Cesc. He was the best midfielder in the world when he was at Arsenal... along with Essien. Hmm, Essien, maybe things change.

King_Moc

Banned
Aye. It just makes me see something like Madrid's 5 in a row and think 'so what?' Almost on par with Celtic winning the Scottish league 5 times in a row now.

On one hand, there's less teams, so it's easier. On the other hand, no one could buy their way to success. There were no sponsors, no oil rich owners, barely any foreign players and TV money (if it was even around) would have been insignificant.

Teams became successful due to good youth systems, good scouting and good management. So in that respect, maybe it may even be more impressive.

Walshy

This is in no way knocking Paisley, but I do find it interesting how teams managed to go on runs of 2/3/5 consecutive European Cup wins around that era. Not a chance that would happen now with any team or any manager and I'm not sure whether that's an indictment on the quality of football around then, the lack of competition or other factors?
Well, the top teams in Europe wasn't as strong as they was then and sides from Eastern Europe wasn't as bad as they are now. It was the norm back then for Eastern European sides to eliminate the top sides of Europe as we know now. Ajax in their heyday were beaten by CSKA Sofia in 1973. Clough's Nottingham Forrest was aswell in 1980 and Paisley's Liverpool 1981. We was also eliminated by Widzew Lodz, a Polish side the following year as well. Steua won the European Cup in 1986 as did Red Star in 1990. An Eastern European team winning the Champions League would be unheard of today.

Think about it, if players didn't move out of their home country as often you'd have a Belgian side competing for European honors this year.

It was different in the fact that only Champions qualified too and there was no group games. You couldn't had many bad games, one if you was lucky. It was easier in the earlier rounds but I would argue to Group Stages are just a more bloated version of the earlier rounds of the European Cup were you would be drawn against the Champions of Finland or Ireland.

Abraxas

Catalan newspaper Sport asked their readers if Fabregas should be sold and 80% of 16,619 said yes.

That was followed by Catalan newspaper Mundo Deportivo being more direct and asking 'Would you sell Cesc Fabregas to Manchester United for €30m?' and again 80%, this time of 6807 voters so far, said 'Yes!'.

Only Ed Woodward could screw this up.

Oh.

Ohhhhhhh...
Why would cesc go to a dying team in manchester? Playing alongside young and cleverly? Arse still have first refusal, so if wenger has any brain he will simply take cesc back for the pre-agreed resale of 24 million or whatever barca demand.

Clegg

Catalan newspaper Sport asked their readers if Fabregas should be sold and 80% of 16,619 said yes.

That was followed by Catalan newspaper Mundo Deportivo being more direct and asking 'Would you sell Cesc Fabregas to Manchester United for €30m?' and again 80%, this time of 6807 voters so far, said 'Yes!'.

Oh.

Ohhhhhhh...
Apparently it was RVP who was the intermediary in assessing Fabregas' interest.

Scum

Barcelona ruined Cesc. He was the best midfielder in the world when he was at Arsenal... along with Essien. Hmm, Essien, maybe things change.

Cesc was fucking daft to leave anyway. Should have stay at Arsenal 'til he was 27/28 and then buggered off.

Jack cw

Stop being dead, Franck

Welcome to Bayern Munich, Eden Hazard :(
Edit:
I still love Robben for defending Ribery after the journalits questions why he is so out of shape but idirectly confirmed that he couldnt help the team. Müller and Robben were the only ones admitting they were really mediocre yesterday. Hearing Lahm talking about how great Bayern was and how they dominated Madrid makes me puke. That same bullshit talk after we lost 2-5 to Dortmund 2 years ago.

cesc2.jpg

he used to have such wonderful hair

Barca are too proud to admit they turned Cesc to shit and won't sell him.

I still think they only wanted him as an ego-trip, and never really had any thought as to how they'd use him.

Fabregas and Xavi in the same team was never going to work properly. Cesc had to be moved into various positions where he isn't a quarter as good as he is when played in CM.

Ah, the carefree nature of teams who can write off tens of millions of wasted Euros in the knowledge that they'll never be called on their financial carelessness.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lamela is basically a less damaging, more promising version of Aquilani
The apple is a winger dude
Buying players will be really tricky this summer. You won't find many superstars willing to give away one year (or more?) of their (already short) career to a side in transition.

Way too many players told us to do one three years ago. :(

but fortunately for United, your XI is good enough for a top 4 finish already. ;)

Blablurn

Welcome to Bayern Munich, Eden Hazard :(
Edit:
I still love Robben for defending Ribery after the journalits questions why he is so out of shape but idirectly confirmed that he couldnt help the team. Müller and Robben were the only ones admitting they were really mediocre yesterday. Hearing Lahm talking about how great Bayern was and how they dominated Madrid makes me puke. That same bullshit talk after we lost 2-5 to Dortmund 2 years ago.

Lahm will never change <3

The apple is a winger dude

Not positionally you knob :p

Big-money signing bought from Serie A to instantly replace the departing favourite, barely ever seen on the pitch, and pretty disappointing when he was, symbolic of a massive decline in the team's performances and results.

Fabregas is leaving

He would have left last year too if they hadn't lost Thiago and had to save face

Now the fans boo him and Barca want to rebuild

His dream is over

Gambit

Lahm will never change <3

As a player, I love Lahm, but nobody should ever interview him. He is "too professional". He talks like a corporate spokesman and you never get to hear anything real.

For interviews, go to Müller, Robben, Neuer. And Alaba for hilarity.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Not positionally you knob :p

Big-money signing bought from Serie A to instantly replace the departing favourite, barely ever seen on the pitch, and pretty disappointing when he was, symbolic of a massive decline in the team's performances and results.

Aquiloani would thrive under Captain Brendan. :( fucking John Doe Allen taking his place is criminal!

It's really hard to tell if Lamela was EVER good, the Zeman Effect is truly remarkable. But I'm sure he'll come good eventually, he's better than Lennon, at least.

Dennis Bergkamp... such an amazing player!

My absolute favourite Arsenal player. What a glorious cunt.

Blablurn

As a player, I love Lahm, but nobody should ever interview him. He is "too professional". He talks like a corporate spokesman and you never get to hear anything real.

The addition of Alaba almost made me spit out my coffee lol.

Scum

Aquiloani would thrive under Captain Brendan. :( fucking John Doe Allen taking his place is criminal!

It's really hard to tell if Lamela was EVER good, the Zeman Effect is truly remarkable. But I'm sure he'll come good eventually, he's better than Lennon, at least.

I think he will. Lamela > Lennon. But like I said earlier, I'm afraid whilst InterTim is still there. He'll probably sell him or try to anyway. :-/

How's his injury record been this season? With us it seemed like every week there was something ruling him out. Injury, twinges, not suited for this game, not suited for that game, cat got ran over, coughed a couple of weeks ago, hayfever, dodgy lasagne, broke a nail.

We knew that'd happen though, he had a record for it. He was injured when we signed him. Rafa even said we got him cheaper than his value because he was injured at the time. Rafa y

At least you can trust Allen to be available when needed :p

He's pretty good as well. Really good option to fill in for either of the 2 spots ahead of DM, or start depending on form.

Jack cw

Yep. I avoid listening to him everytime. Its like PR bla bla. He talks for 10 minutes without actually saying something. I miss the times of Effenberg, Kahn and van Bommel. After games like that they called out the things that went wrong and asked for showing some balls in the second leg.

Carbonox

just did sky sports squad selector for england

sCpG5jd.png

you are not my friend and you are not my fellow dj

this would win all the world cups

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
How's his injury record been this season?.

Played: 40 games.

He was consistently fit with us and Milan, so it was probably your medical team -_-

or I dunno, Italian football suits him more?

I like Alberto <3 he's more of a...Kroos than anything else. Easily replaceable and not a player you build your midfield around. He deserves a better career than this though :(

well....he can't complain really

Played: 40 games.

He was consistently fit with us and Milan, so it was probably your medical team -_-

or I dunno, Italian football suits him more?

I like Alberto <3 he's more of a...Kroos than anything else. Easily replaceable and not a player you build your midfield around. He deserves a better career than this :(

well....he can't complain though

You could tell there was a brilliant player in there*, only showed it in like 2 games for us though :(

Love his technique, like a midfield Berbatov. You could have a point with the injuries, Torres was constantly injured around the same time, as was Agger

*unlike that sahin twat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom