• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Rakitic more of a number 10 type player? Or more of a midfielder who likes to get forward (could be talking out my bum bum, don't watch Sevilla much)

Both United and Arsenal have those (imo) in spades.

Personally, both need a Javi Martinez/Busquets worldie type player who can break up play, and is mint technically.

Rakitic can play DM, box-to-box or #10, like Montolivo. He's a complete midfielder.

And yeah, I agree with that last sentence. The One for me is Bruno Soriano. He's 29/30 so I dunno if Arsene would go for it (though he did bid £12m for 31 y/o David Villa) but him next to Ramsey would be perfection. I want a DM who is a threat with his passing as well as being able to read the game well and compete physically, and Bruno is just that.

Both excellent. I think stroot will stay at Roma at least another year or two; CL and only did half a season there before his injury. Pjanic might go PSG or something I guess. don't think they need him, just been mooted a lot.

We should go for Benatia. Best CB in Europe this season m8
Another option for CB is Inigo Martinez. I signed him on FM and he's a beast. Not that FM is 100% accurate.

L1NETT

The Australian edition of the International Business Times is usually where I go to get my scoops.

They are 10 hours ahead duh, they've got tomorrow's news TODAY

He can play in numerous midfield positions. He can play the #10 role, but also play in a midfield 2 and be the creative type. He's the perfect compliment to someone like Carvalho who isn't that mobile.

Gotcha

I think Carvalho plus what you have now is a darn good midfield (bar a decent winger)

Barzul

:lol

"definitely not as good as you seem to think he'll be"

As in, as good as he currently is? Like his current level?

That's how good I expect him to be. No more, no less.

I still don't believe you've grasped my actual reasoning for signing Milner, although it was meant as a bear trap to weed out the goobers so in truth I can't complain.

Honestly I don't quite get what you see in him, maybe you fleshed that out in some post and I missed it. I know his qualities but he doesn't improve your team enough, well not as much as you should imo be aiming to improve for a CL assault.

Scum

Both excellent. I think stroot will stay at Roma at least another year or two; CL and only did half a season there before his injury. Pjanic might go PSG or something I guess. don't think they need him, just been mooted a lot.

If Pjanic ends up at PSG, then Moyes should go after Veratti.

jtb

Banned
the problem with Wilshere is that you can really only have one of him/Ramsey in a midfield 2 because otherwise the team is going to be ridiculously exposed. and not only is Ramsey better going forward than Wilshere now, but he's also far better (if only because of his running) defensively—Ramsey doesn't have much discipline, but at least he's not an active defensive liability like Wilshere is. Wilshere, circa 10-11, was a phenomenally good passer but I think those skills have regressed since then. Wilshere can still develop at Arsenal, but it has to come at Arteta's expense I think. Arteta's time is up. He's got to be replaced by a much more dynamic and disciplined midfielder.

wedward

I used to be one of the guys who was less than appreciative of Wilshere, but after seeing what our midfield became without him, he was definitely missed. Too bad he'll now be benched by Ramsey the superior player.

Different players. Biggest problem will be trying to fit both of them into the team in their best positions. Luckily for us that will never be an issue because they will both miss huge chunks of the season.

FootballFan

No idea, but seems like something is happening, Simeone was out saying he would support Costa's choice, when asked about Chelsea interest...

It is a Simeone tactic, a good one too imo.

He is keeping Costa happy by saying that if he wants to leave at the end of the season, Simeone will support him in doing so and will be happy for him.

If he said crap like "He can't leave. We won't sell even for 800million" etc. Then that would likely just piss Costa off, which would only hurt Atletico's chances here.

Simeone.

What a tactician, even off the field.

In the last 4 matches, Matic has had 4 assists. Including the one to get in front against Stoke and the only goal a few days ago against Swansea. and on top of that been a beast in the defensive part of the matches. :bow

That also means he's now the second/third with most assists for Chelsea in the league, only Hazard is above and he's on level with playmaker Torres.

Wish he could play in CL so much.

Clegg

Just seen the Shaw story.

I don't think we'll sign him because Chelsea will eventually turn his head, but Ian Ladyman is a decent journo when it comes to United so I wouldn't dismiss this story either.

jtb

Banned
also Wilshere is whiny and petulant. sorry, but he seriously needs to cut that shit out. it's so irritating and only compounds his inability to defend.

Wilbur

Banned
In the last 4 matches, Matic has had 4 assists. Including the one to get in front against Stoke and the only goal a few days ago against Swansea. and on top of that been a beast in the defensive part of the matches. :bow

That also means he's now the second/third with most assists for Chelsea in the league, only Hazard is above and he's on level with playmaker Torres.

Think you're fucked without him to be honest. Can't see Lampard being a wonderful defensive shield against the other three.

L1NETT

If Everton don't make Cl, and I were Wenger/Moyes...I'd go for James Mccarthy

Maybe because I've watched more of him than some names thrown about but the lad is damn good. Damn fucking good.

Does the donkey work/PL experience/Young, energetic/ Technically sound

Could see him doing what Henderson does for Pool

Revista showing selected phases of play from Atletico-Barca

Messi is literally strolling around, making no attempt whatsoever to find space or help the team :s

Think you're fucked without him to be honest. Can't see Lampard being a wonderful defensive shield against the other three.

Well it's not going to be Lampard doing that.

Luiz or Mikel... or both! Lets not forget Mikels Godly performance against Bayern, he needs to be appreciated purely for fucking with Robbens head so much before he took that penalty lol

Clegg

If Everton don't make Cl, and I were Wenger/Moyes...I'd go for James Mccarthy

Maybe because I've watched more of him than some names thrown about but the lad is damn good. Damn fucking good.
Been watching him for the last few years now especially because he's an Ireland international. He's by far our most technically astute player and I've always been impressed by him.

Zabojnik

I think Roma are only going to sell Pjanic and only if they receive an offer they can't possibly refuse from PSG. Which they will. Strootman and Benatia (he'd be PERFECT for United) just got there, they won't be leaving anytime soon. They don't have a cash problem and can count on CL income.

I wonder how many assists our midfielders have all season.

Looks like it's 0.

That settles the debate a couple of United bros were having earlier. United need a creative midfielder that can play in a midfield 2.

wedward

Maybe Wenger should change his tactics to accommodate them both

Oh wait

Wenger doesn't do tactics

Not a whole lot of options. They both play essentially the same position. Wilshere has played on the left but he really is a central player. As is Ramsey.

Ozil back for the weekend. Hold on to your butts.
Don't think anyone would disagree with you on that one.

Giroud does the same antics.

When things are going wrong he is the only player who looks like he cares.

Don't think you can have one without the other.

Arnie

Honestly I don't quite get what you see in him, maybe you fleshed that out in some post and I missed it. I know his qualities but he doesn't improve your team enough, well not as much as you should imo be aiming to improve for a CL assault.

See my post history. There's a fucking smorgasbord of reasons for wanting James Milner in your squad, especially as he's entering the final 12 months of his current contract. I swear some people think being a squad player for this Manchester City team is a piece of piss. It's been the best squad in the country for the last three years and Milner's held his own and more.

And we all know he'd be fucking sublime under Brendan. Midfield's answer to Jon Flanagan.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh my I don't even give a fuck about the Shaw price if it is 30m (although it might cause havoc with pressure and shit). Lets do it. Lets DO IT

Well it's not going to be Lampard doing that.

Luiz or Mikel... or both! Lets not forget Mikels Godly performance against Bayern, he needs to be appreciated purely for fucking with Robbens head so much before he took that penalty lol

Yeah that really was jokes :lol

I dunno, Mikel's so fucking soft usually though. Matic brings some bite that would be essential against Atletico.

Feorax

If we assume we're converting Lucas to a B2B midfielder, then you would think that having 2 of him, Coutinho, Henderson and Allen to play in front of Gerrard would be enough depth.

Who is Gerrard's understudy going forward though in that Xabi Alonso deep-playmaker role? I know Suso sometimes plays deeper of Spain, could he do it? Or are we going to have to go out and buy?

Scum

the problem with Wilshere is that you can really only have one of him/Ramsey in a midfield 2 because otherwise the team is going to be ridiculously exposed. and not only is Ramsey better going forward than Wilshere now, but he's also far better (if only because of his running) defensively—Ramsey doesn't have much discipline, but at least he's not an active defensive liability like Wilshere is. Wilshere, circa 10-11, was a phenomenally good passer but I think those skills have regressed since then. Wilshere can still develop at Arsenal, but it has to come at Arteta's expense I think. Arteta's time is up. He's got to be replaced by a much more dynamic and disciplined midfielder.

4-2-1-3

Ramsey and a DM in the middle, Wilshere/Ozil in front of them. Walcott as your AMR, Podolski/New winger as your AML. Giroud/New ST up top.

I wonder how many assists our midfielders have all season.

Looks like it's 0.

That settles the debate a couple of United bros were having earlier. United need a creative midfielder that can play in a midfield 2.

Hey Phil Jones has one and he's basically a midfielder now, right?!

Kikarian

That Ryan Gauld kid is quality and definitely one for the future.

Think he currently plays for Dundee United. We should put a bid in for him, get him and loan him out for 1-2 season(s).

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Oh my I don't even give a fuck about the Shaw price if it is 30m (although it might cause havoc with pressure and shit). Lets do it. Lets DO IT

I dunno, Mikel's so fucking soft usually though. Matic brings some bite that would be essential against Atletico.
W8 what did he do to Robben :lol

Pennywise

I think Dortmund already had an agreement with Ramos and they didn't want to brake it, so I doubt the interest in Drmic is still alive. Wolfsburg and Gladbach sound very likely, spcially Wolfsburg... their only good striker is Olic.

Dortmund already stated that they're going to sign two strikers.

Wilbur

Banned
I think Roma are only going to sell Pjanic and only if they receive an offer they can't possibly refuse from PSG. Which they will. Strootman and Benatia (he'd be PERFECT for United) just got there, they won't be leaving anytime soon. They don't have a cash problem and can count on CL income.

Agreed on all counts now because I was nice give me Vidal

So would the other names thrown about, and then some. Probably sound more inciting than some ginger ninja, but meh.

I don't see arsenal spending 30m on James McCarthy is what I'm saying. I think he's fucking class, said so for a while now. But that transfer ain't happening.

Not a whole lot of options. They both play essentially the same position. Wilshere has played on the left but he really is a central player. As is Ramsey.

Ozil back for the weekend. Hold on to your butts.

When things are going wrong he also looks like the only one who cares.

Don't think you can have one without the other.

4-3-3 honey, especially considering Ozil is out. Ramsey and Wilshere either side of Flamini.

Clegg

£30m would end up being a good price if he fulfills his potential. You're taking a long term view for the player. Rio and Rooney were expensive as fuck when we bought them, but they've been key to United's success over the last 10 years. Can say the original transfer fees were bargains in retrospect. I think the same will eventually be said about Jones too.

wedward

4-2-1-3

Ramsey and a DM in the middle, Wilshere/Ozil in front of them. Walcott as your AMR, Podolski/New winger as your AML. Giroud/New ST up top.

Your solution is to rotate Ozil and Wilshere?

The goal is to have Wilshere Ramsey Ozil and a Dm all playing together.

Agreed on all counts now because I was nice give me Vidal

I don't see arsenal spending 30m on James McCarthy is what I'm saying. I think he's fucking class, said so for a while now. But that transfer ain't happening.

4-3-3 honey, especially considering Ozil is out. Ramsey and Wilshere either side of Flamini.

Jack is out right now so I don't think we will see that lineup.

When everyone is healthy either Ramsey or Jack are on the bench. Or one of them is on the wing.

Arnie

That's the fucking spirit.

Shaw's worth whatever you're charged. I'd pay £40 million for him.

It's your left back sorted for the best part of a decade and he's British to boot. Helps the quota and has an obvious investment in domestic success.

but he's off to the bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom