• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

I'd recommend you read the interview if you haven't. It's pretty illuminating -- especially about the perception and treatment of Muslim players back in France. Provides some good insight into a few things. He was very complimentary about Arsene. As Viva said, he was mostly right about everything including the United situation.

And he still won't take responsibility for the inflammatory things he said and continues to say about Arsenal. It's very difficult to take seriously somebody that narcissistic and who lacks that much self-awareness and it makes me question his version of events on anything. He did an Adebayor and then wondered why he was suddenly hated.

Also if Arsene is his "football father" and made him the player he is I hate to see how he treats his real father.

Also pet peeve:

The problem was the (new) stadium. They didn’t have the money to buy the players. Arsene is a straight guy. He can see into the future. He didn’t want to be penalised by Financial Fair Play so he wanted to stay by the rules and not living by debt. This year everything has been paid.

No it hasn't. The stadium debt can't be paid off in its entirety before 2031.

tumblr_mmpma3xOBq1r1fq7do1_400.gif

tumblr_mmpma3xOBq1r1fq7do2_400.gif

tumblr_msaemwEWKJ1ruzhcvo1_250.gif

Get well soon. It was sad to hear him admit he doesn't do the celebration much anymore. I wonder if he got stick for it?

Wouldn't be surprised if he just didn't want people talking more about his celebration than his ability

I wanted to put together a post with gifs of his through ball goals against Arsenal, Fulham and Swansea, but couldn't find any :(

Meier

Also if Arsene is his "football father" and made him the player he is I hate to see how he treats his real father.
Isco referred to Pellegrini as his "footballing father" as well and straight up stabbed him in the back. It happens. It's a business and their livelihood after all.

faridmon

Pretty much

Everton will be very, very reluctant to sell such a fantastic player to their closest competitor though. Maybe it'd give them the funds for Barry and Lukaku though, who knows.

(If Lukaku would be willing to stay there, which would be best for his career imo)

We have pretty much confirmed that Coleman is indeed getting a new, improved contract this year.

He ain't going anywhere.

We also confirmed that we are going to splash £20+ on a new striker
Lukaku could very well stay

wedward

Also pet peeve:

No it hasn't. The stadium debt can't be paid off in its entirety before 2031.

Can't really expect him to have a total understanding of the club's finances.

We do have money available now and that is what is important.

No offense, but Lukaku isn't staying at Everton. Too many bigger clubs will be in for him. Biggest advantage you have is Mou would probably rather sell him to Everton than Arsenal or Tottenham.

Isco referred to Pellegrini as his "footballing father" as well and straight up stabbed him in the back. It happens. It's a business and their livelihood after all.

Stabbed him in the back lol. It's Madrid over City. Not really a choice is it?

Salvadora

Coleman is an enticing possibility, but I can't see it happening for a number of reasons:

- Everton would either refuse to sell him altogether or demand a high fee.
- Wenger, I imagine, would be reluctant to spend big in that position due to the necessity to buy a high profile forward among other things.
- Lots of other (inferior) cheaper options in the market.

L1NETT

Fixed. If you're gonna dream, dream big.

Gilberto Silva was a god.

No Stuart Mccall, but what a player.

----

Said Debuchy assuming Coleman won't be sold/too expensive.

There is also a dirth of quality right backs (bar Stephen Darby), and I think Debuchy is completely ok. Not brilliant, but he's decent.

We have pretty much confirmed that Coleman is indeed getting a new, improved contract this year.

He ain't going anywhere.

I want both of them to stay, it will be intriguing to see where Martinez can take you. And I want to see what a beast Lukaku can turn into by playing every week with a manager who lets his players express themselves

Meier

Stabbed him in the back lol. It's Madrid over City. Not really a choice is it?
In 2014 you'd say the same thing about City over Arsenal. In 2011 after City had signed Aguero and had Yaya and Silva, you would have said that to ("not really a choice"). *shrugs* But regardless, he had agreed to come to City with Pellegrini for many months prior to joining Madrid instead. It was a dick move but I can't blame him and Arsenal fans shouldn't blame Nasri either. He made the right move, clearly.

Huge respect for Yeovil keeping their aims realistic when they got promoted, and choosing stability rather than fruitlessly chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow :)

L1NETT

Goes without saying really. It's like comparing any goalkeeper to Oggy.

Speaking of SM, he's been nominated for SPFA manager of the year and got Motherwell up to third. Bloke's a hero

Hands off Woodward.

(he was guff when he managed us mind- mainly due to us getting a new squad every 5mins)

wedward

In 2014 you'd say the same thing about City over Arsenal. In 2011 after City had signed Aguero and had Yaya and Silva, you would have said that to. *shrugs* But yes, he had agreed to come to City with Pellegrini for many months prior to joining Madrid instead.

No. Madrid are Madrid.

City just recently became relevant. Why would a kid from Spain pick Manchester City over Real Madrid?

faridmon

No offense, but Lukaku isn't staying at Everton. Too many bigger clubs will be in for him. Biggest advantage you have is Mou would probably rather sell him to Everton than Arsenal or Tottenham.

Another big advantage is that he actually does enjoy under the manager and under the club in general. His familiarity with the place plus being a
n almost
big club makes it a bit more attractive than Spurs or Arsenal.

Our biggest concern is his wages and Clubs in other Leagues. Apparently Atletico Madrid are strongly linked with him, especially now that Costa is strongly linked with Chelsea!

EmiPrime

For most players it is yes, I just don't like it when they pretend otherwise. Arsene has shown amazing loyalty to his players, through injuries and drops in form when someone more ruthless like Fergie would have got rid of them and it hurts me to see him be betrayed on so many occasions.

Can't really expect him to have a total understanding of the club's finances.

We do have money available now and that is what is important.

We've had an obscene amount of cash in the bank for years. Hopefully with the Puma deal and the extension to the Emirates sponsorship in place we can finally start spending it. The 5 year Puma deal alone is worth two thirds of the remaining debt!

faridmon

I want both of them to stay, it will be intriguing to see where Martinez can take you. And I want to see what a beast Lukaku can turn into by playing every week with a manager who lets his players express themselves

One thing I have to remind myself is how Belguim will do at WC.

Look at them winning the WC, and BAM both Lukaku and Mirallas are getting out for bigger clubs :(

wedward

Another big advantage is that he actually does enjoy under the manager and under the club in general. His familiarity with the place plus being a
n almost
big club makes it a bit more attractive than Spurs or Arsenal.

I am sorry, but none of this matters.

I really don't think Everton stand a chance.

subtles

Wouldn't be surprised if he just didn't want people talking more about his celebration than his ability

I wanted to put together a post with gifs of his through ball goals against Arsenal, Fulham and Swansea, but couldn't find any :(

You'll probably find them on Tumblr. Only reason I go there from time to time.

Case in point:

tumblr_n0xib92vQm1qaorn7o1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_n0z8bsfRWx1qaorn7o1_400.gif

Hell, even Gerrard:

tumblr_n419d1NxHJ1qj5qufo1_500.gif

Wilbury

You know what Brendan can do for Welbz.

tumblr_n419d1NxHJ1qj5qufo2_500.gif

LegoArmo

I don't think Fabregas is any different to van Persie, Nasri, Clichy or Adebayor, he's just lucky his "dream" team was the most successful club in the world.

One thing I have to remind myself is how Belguim will do at WC.

Look at them winning the WC, and BAM both Lukaku and Mirallas are getting out for bigger clubs :(

Belgium won't be winning the world cup. Spain will bore their way to the final again, batter the opposition, and a bunch of knobends will pretend that they'd played like that throughout the tournament

Does Mirallas start for Belgium?

I'm genuinely annoyed that we have a manager who won't let us play with the flair we possess

Speaking of SM, he's been nominated for SPFA manager of the year and got Motherwell up to third. Bloke's a hero

Hands off Woodward.

(he was guff when he managed us mind- mainly due to us getting a new squad every 5mins)

He'll be immortalised along with Allan Johnston, Derek Adams & John McGlynn (the previous 3 winners of the award).

It can be hard for legends to manage the club with which they made their name. Some can handle it (Cruyff) and some can't (Shearer). Oggy has always backed away from the management route but I'd love to see him have go. Gary Mac managed us for a short time before he left to look after his sick wife. Will be interesting to see how Giggs copes.

You'll probably find them on Tumblr. Only reason I go there from time to time.

Case in point:

tumblr_n0xib92vQm1qaorn7o1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_n0z8bsfRWx1qaorn7o1_400.gif

Hell, even Gerrard:

tumblr_n419d1NxHJ1qj5qufo1_500.gif

Wilbury

You know what Brendan can do for Welbz.

tumblr_n419d1NxHJ1qj5qufo2_500.gif

I fucking loved that goal.

'Oh fuck, Gerrard's fallen over and lost possession we're gonna conc....wait......OMFG'

That's the match which has made this all possible I think. Ain't nothing that gives you momentum like a last minute win.

arkon

Huge respect for Yeovil keeping their aims realistic when they got promoted, and choosing stability rather than fruitlessly chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow :)

Also huge respect for giving us three points recently and six over the course of the season. #Invaluable

faridmon

Belgium won't be winning the world cup. Spain will bore their way to the final again, batter the opposition, and a bunch of knobends will pretend that they'd played like that throughout the tournament

Does Mirallas start for Belgium?

Yeah, he does start at the right flank, but is the usually prone for substitution later in the match. Usually for Wittsel!

EmiPrime

I don't think Fabregas is any different to van Persie, Nasri, Clichy or Adebayor, he's just lucky his "dream" team was the most successful club in the world.

He was always going to go back to Barca. I don't like the manner in which it happened but it was inevitable and he has never said a bad word about Arsenal and he has spoken openly about his desire to return one day. Putting him on the same level as RVP, Nasri and Adebayor is really, really off.

If he wants to come back this summer I would be overjoyed.

Meier

Best right back in League One

Some nutjob on our forum claimed had he stayed at Pool he might have done what Flanagan did

West Yorkshire Hero the bloke, our POTY no doubt

Next up: Niall Heaton

It's a shame at how darn good Kieran Trippier has turned out to be. We really, really could have used his cover in the past year or two with Micah being a completely liability or injured. Be curious to see if someone swoops for him this summer -- will be in the Prem next season either way!

BigBoss

He was always going to go back to Barca. I don't like the manner in which it happened but it was inevitable and he has never said a bad word about Arsenal and he has spoken openly about his desire to return one day. Putting him on the same level as RVP, Nasri and Adebayor is really, really off.

Wouldn't be surprised if he moves back to Arsenal this summer. He was booed and whistled at when he came on for Xavi in the Bilbao game and with the recent rumors that Barca is interested in Ozil, who knows what might happen.

Salvadora

Wouldn't be surprised if he moves back to Arsenal this summer. He was booed and whistled at when he came on for Xavi in the Bilbao game and with the recent rumors that Barca is interested in Ozil, who knows what might happen.
It would surprise me a lot.

While there has been recent dissatisfaction from the Barcelona fans, that really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. It's the club's decision. And with Cesc being Barcelona born and bred, a new manager coming in, and a transfer ban likely, I just can't see him going anywhere.

That Ozil story is utter shit.

Tambini

I really loved Fabregas but is there room for him now at Arsenal? Where would he play? For such a price tag he wouldn't be a bench player

Fabregas seemed like he loved Arsenal, but Barca was his dream. Van Persie went to a team you absolutely hate after winding his contract down, Adebayor and Nasri went to a rival.

They're nothing alike. The lack of class over the course of the Fabregas to Barca saga was on their part rather than his, as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom