• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koko

Banned
How are baseball players making so much money? Who watches that shit?

I used to love baseball movies as a kid, went to watch a game in Florida thinking it will be like the movies. Holy Christ, it would not end and nothing happened and the crowd were as about as lively as corpse. There are like 500 games as well in a season. Makes test cricket look like an action packed sport.

Well considering that you probably went to see the Marlins who have been shit for 10 years and that Florida fans are amongst the worse. Not entirely surprising that you were bore to dead.

I don't follow baseball that close but the few times that I had the opportunity to go watch a game I always end up having a good time.

Hixx

Vergini at RB
KuGsj.gif

Ki is 'injured'

Can we just forfeit?

Meier

BlXG922CcAALE2i.jpg:large

Loool. Only just found out the other day that a supporter's group has been formed this year. A shame this and the next game are at a time I can't go and watch with them!

Ahahahahaha this is too damn funny...

You can just tell what a massive pothead Michael Beasley in this gif. :lol

Super [Ally McCoist] has contacted frank lampard about taking over next season as player manager and it seems he is up for the job and it will be announced once chelsea are wrapped up for the season

This has to be the worst rumour I've ever heard

Wes

venison crêpe

why did they do? What's going on?!

Background:
- Ian Culverhouse was Assistant Manager.
- Gary Karsa was Head of Football Operations.
- Both have worked with Lambert for 8 years.
- Both are now suspended.

To summarise a poster on a Villa forum who posted some "in the know" information on this issue at the weekend (I think - or at least heard about it then) and most things have turned out to be true by bits reported in the press:

- Culverhouse and Karsa were disliked by everyone at the club, particularly the First Team.
- Lambert wanted to sack Culverhouse after an incident with a fan on Boxing day where he started swearing at fans. Board said no at the time.
- Culverhouse was in charge of training and players thought he was awful at it. Didn't seem to care about not achieving results matchday.
- Karsa was overly critical of the players and would be mouthy to Lambert.
- They were last in to training and first to leave. Lambert was the opposite.
- They refused to move nearer to the club.

Supposedly since then when everyone was informed at training Lambert was applauded on to the pitch by the players. He will now have a much more hands on part in this.

Scum

Background:

To summarise a poster on a Villa forum who posted some "in the know" information on this issue at the weekend (I think - or at least heard about it then) and most things have turned out to be true by bits reported in the press:

- Culverhouse and Karsa were disliked by everyone at the club, particularly the First Team.
- Lambert wanted to sack Culverhouse after an incident with a fan on Boxing day where he started swearing at fans. Board said no at the time.
- Culverhouse was in charge of training and players thought he was awful at it. Didn't seem to care about not achieving results matchday.

Supposedly since then when everyone was informed at training Lambert was applauded on to the pitch by the players. He will now have a much more hands on part in this.

Damn. They sound just like FF & Pulga. 😒
This will no doubt cheer the team up.

Background:

If they're such twats, why has Lambert kept them around for so long?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Thanks Wes and L1NNET!

http://i.imgur.com/VzD6Pea.gif[IMG]

Lucky for you Bull are going (should) to amnesty him.[/QUOTE]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

the bald Amauri.

-

[IMG]http://37.media.tumblr.com/52896397aaee857b558eb3ebd3426f0d/tumblr_n44hosfRsO1qb8shfo1_500.gif

tumblr_n41br8ZTii1s8z5rho1_400.gif

Wes

venison crêpe
If they're such twats, why has Lambert kept them around for so long?

Seems like their turn in attitude is something that has developed over time at Villa. Maybe he was blinded a bit in seeing what was happening because he had worked with them for so long but the strong rumour is that is was Lambert himself who wanted them out.

GQman2121

Banned
How are baseball players making so much money? Who watches that shit?

I used to love baseball movies as a kid, went to watch a game in Florida thinking it will be like the movies. Holy Christ, it would not end and nothing happened and the crowd were as about as lively as corpse. There are like 500 games as well in a season. Makes test cricket look like an action packed sport.

162 games a season. That's 81 home games for the big market clubs. Just think how easy it would be to balance the books if you're selling 40,000 tickets four or five times a week. Plus concession revenue. Hell, alcohol alone makes millions a year for a club like the Yankees.

Yes, there's a luxury tax, but it's meaningless in the big picture.

162 games a season. That's 81 home games for the big market clubs. Just think how easy it would be to balance the books if you're selling 40,000 tickets four or five times a week. Plus concession revenue. Hell, alcohol alone makes millions a year for a club like the Yankees.

Yes, there's a luxury tax, but it's meaningless in the big picture.

How does the travel/fixture list work in the MLB? I imagine that during the season, 70% of a player's non-sleep time would be spent either at games, or travelling to them

So what does Lambert actually do...

Lots of managers are not actually that much in charge of the actual training. Well they might have the last say, but they are not the one out on the training pitch with the team. When we got a new manager nearly 2 years ago now, Ariel Jacobs (former Anderlecth and such... he was the one who gave Lukaku the chance!), he was very different to what we were used to. He would do all the tactical stuff and then pretty much just sit back and watch the other coaches train the team (with methods he decided of course), and pick his players from the observations.

Wes

venison crêpe
Managers leaving the majority of training to their staff is not unheard of. I do it all the time as manager of Bologna.

GQman2121

Banned
How does the travel/fixture list work in the MLB? I imagine that during the season, 70% of a player's non-sleep time would be spent either at games, or travelling to them

They stay in four and five star hotels and travel by plane to 98% of their games. They also don't run 10 km per game either. Most either stand with their hands on their knees hoping that the ball doesn't come to them or they're sitting on their asses in the dugout shooting the shit with teammates while eating sunflower seeds.

This was last years World Series MVP:

large_061209%20big%20papi.jpg

Not exactly the model physical specimen when you think professional athlete. Also, he only bats. He does not play defense at all.

Zabojnik

Marotta is out again with another "we're a buying club not a selling one herp derp" statement. This will be fucking embarrassing after we sell Pogba to Madrid in a few months.

Whatever it takes for Pogba's price to skyrocket, I guess. Go Marry.

Meier

Managers leaving the majority of training to their staff is not unheard of. I do it all the time as manager of Bologna.

This really made me lol because I wasn't expecting the last part of the post.

First thing I do in FM every time I start a new save. Delegate the following to my Assistant Manager: select friendlies, manage friendlies, team training, post game press conferences, other stuff I'm forgetting.

GQman2121

Banned
Now having ripped baseball, I'll fully admit that--other than playing QB in the NFL--it's also the hardest sport to master. I don't think there's a more difficult sport where you're required to have two completely separate skill sets to be considered great.

Lots of managers are not actually that much in charge of the actual training. Well they might have the last say, but they are not the one out on the training pitch with the team. When we got a new manager nearly 2 years ago now, Ariel Jacobs (former Anderlecth and such... he was the one who gave Lukaku the chance!), he was very different to what we were used to. He would do all the tactical stuff and then pretty much just sit back and watch the other coaches train the team (with methods he decided of course), and pick his players from the observations.

Yeah no I get that many don't take the actual session...but reading that it just sounds like Lambert barely had/has any oversight or control over it.

looool Kloppo

At the press conference after the match yesterday:
"Are there any (more) questions for me? Because I really need to go to the bathroom. Like really, or I wouldn't say that. No? Ok."
Our press guy: "You can rejoin us later."
"Where I need to go, you don't just come back." and runs away.

I fucking love this guy.

Marc

Well considering that you probably went to see the Marlins who have been shit for 10 years and that Florida fans are amongst the worse. Not entirely surprising that you were bore to dead.

I don't follow baseball that close but the few times that I had the opportunity to go watch a game I always end up having a good time.

Yeah, Marlins sounds familiar. I was about ten and could fond entertainment in kicking a bag around so not exactly the hardest to please.

It might be good in a cricket sense to go get drunk I guess.

If Sunderland don't win, I just hope Cattermole absolutely Cattermoles someone.

Will probably break DeMichaeles and city keep a clean sheet for the rest of their games.

Gqman - holy crap, that is a lot of games, was exaggerating earlier but damn... tough job. Baseball needs Blatter to save them from slavery.

Must be a logistical nightmare to organize all that travel.

Meier

Live baseball is amazing. It's an acquired taste to watch it on TV though especially if you're a fan of other sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom