• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
I've always liked him.

Always shrugged when people mocked.

And against Liverpool - I said it when he came on despite being five pints down - I knew he was going to get City playing. He's top.

The English especially just love to hate. Imagine how we'd treat Thomas Muller?

Please don't compare James Milner and Thomas Muller.

I don't think it's because he's English that I think he's nothing more than decent. And I would argue that he wasn't the key in getting City playing. Did a better job pressing the likes of Coutinho in possession, sure, but Silva decided to turn on the little magic cunt switch in his brain.

L1NETT

Hang on

Hang on

Arnie don't you want Grandad Barry zipping round on his zimmer frame in Brazil?

First Milner, then Barry

Closet Villa fan

Wes pls

;-)

was you wasn't it? Right muddled if it weren't

Arnie

Can you imagine Henderson and Milner, in the same team (not managed by Hog). Talk about turbo charged engine and pressing.

Right, exactly.

It's assembling a squad that can do one particular thing so fucking well it's, with the right coaching and preparation, able to win a game.

That's all football is. Winning games.

It's not science. There's no formula to it.

I just think Milner is a way of winning matches that Liverpool don't currently possess. So I want to sign him. Simple.

fucking hell you've convinced me

moyseh get him

The real JM7? Well now....

-----------------Henriquez------------
Milner---Kagawa---Mata---Adnan
-----------------Will.C.Am-------------
Buuuuuuuuuuuuttttttnnnerrrrrrrrr
-----------------De Gea----------------

What could possibly go wrong?

pulga

Banned
Right, exactly.

It's assembling a squad that can do one particular thing so fucking well it's, with the right coaching and preparation, able to win a game.

That's all football is. Winning games.

It's not science. There's no formula to it.

I just think Milner is a way of winning matches that Liverpool don't currently possess. So I want to sign him. Simple.

for 20 million british pounds

even as a madrid fan i feel offended

edit: wait is arnie seeing my posts or did he really put me on ignore lol

Salvadora

Because nobody else is actually trying to say that Ozil has been better than Milner this season (he hasn't).

To do so based on what we've seen would be ludicrous.

I guess my point also orbits around the fact that big money, big named signings can be utterly fucking poop (see: Ozil, Mkh, Mata) and so it's better to buy someone who you just know would fit in your squad and perform with ultimate consistency than go out and spunk a barrel full of money on reputation.
My point was that is that it doesn't seem prudent to advocate overspending on British talent. That's it.

You're desperate to bring Ozil into this. Which I'm not considering you equated Ozil to Soldado/Fellaini/Lamela the other day.

Utterly pointless being drawn into debate with you over him considering your hyperbole.

Tc91

Arnie pls, you're back in the CL and you're about to win the PL and you want JAMES MILNER?!

Howay lad, dream big.

Arnie

Hang on

Hang on

Arnie don't you want Grandad Barry zipping round on his zimmer frame in Brazil?

First Milner, then Barry

Closet Villa fan

Wes pls

;-)

was you wasn't it? Right muddled if it weren't
Gareth Barry is a fucking brilliant player and I've always said that an all

Although nobody gave a fuck when he played for a team with City's wealth. Now he's playing for Shorditch's own Roberto Martinez FC with their shoestring budget of loanees he's getting lots of attention again.

Wilbur

Banned
I've always thought Barry was pretty good, but a) I liked slagging him off to Kermit when he called Carrick a shit player, because it would amuse me and b) Rafa was off his rocker trying to get rid of Alonso for him even if he had just had a dunce year. Should have used his coaching to get him back to peak levels innit

Barzul

Four times if you take money into account

pls respond

barzul

pls

are you breathing

That is just one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. Arnie clearly doesn't remember the defense splitting through pass to Oxlade Chamberlain that created our second goal vs 'Pool in the FA Cup, or the assist to Ramsey at the Emirates that resulted in the 2nd goal. But somehow Milner is not just better than Ozil he's twice as good? Oh ffs.

I'm not speaking in eternal certainties like some fucking braindead goober, I'm saying that on the football pitch this season I've seen twice the consistency and level of performance from Milner than I have from Ozil.

Not that MILNER IS TWICE AS GOOD AS OZIL HOLY FUK EVERYONE DIS IS FUCKIN BANANAS

Show some subtlety, watch the football, form an opinion.

That's how I read your post and even considering the new conditions. Nothing I've seen of him this season tells me that he has performed twice better than Ozil this season not even close.

Milner is a good player. Sometimes a very good player.

But most of the time he's pretty average, great work rate. He'd do well at pretty much any club but Arnie, don't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.

subtles

Guys

I just want a young English midfielder

The Sterling of midfield (if you excuse me elevating his status)

Please show me the way

L1NETT

Now Flanagan, there tis a player we can roger rally behind.

Wisdom, Steveie G, Flanagan, Sturridge, Ibe, Sinclair, Coady, Robinson, Sturridge, Henderson, Sterling,
Milner

Dat (potential) English core.

Gotta admire it

Gareth Barry is a fucking brilliant player and I've always said that an all

Although nobody gave a fuck when he played for a team with City's wealth. Now he's playing for Shorditch's own Roberto Martinez FC with their shoestring budget of loanees he's getting lots of attention again.

I'd rather have Barry from Eastenders

Poor old Gareth B being partially carried by the brilliant Mccarthy and in parts Barkley.

Nowt wrong with him, but he's as bland and beige as a beige thing I can't quite think of

pulga

Banned
so if milner is 6x the player ozil is

does this mean he would be a sure starter at madrid?

pls help me understand

Arnie

My point was that is that it doesn't seem prudent to advocate overspending on British talent.

People said that about Jordan Henderson. People wondered why we spent £12 million on Daniel Sturridge at the time. And 'British talent' isn't necessarily a bad thing. Under a good British manager it can play pretty fucking well.

The tall and short of it is this:

James Milner would fit into this Liverpool squad like a dream. He offers a squad that's already really good at winning football matches another way to win football matches. He is - for all the brainless shite he gets - bespoke.

I want that at Liverpool. I'd pay what it takes to get it. At this stage it wouldn't be a lot, given his contract situation.

Walshy

Guys

I just want a young English midfielder

The Sterling of midfield (if you excuse me elevating his status)

Please show me the way
Jordan Rossiter will be breaking through either next year or the year after.

He's already made the bench at sixteen, special talent.

Wilbur

Banned
Milner is a good player. Sometimes a very good player.

But most of the time he's pretty average, great work rate. He'd do well at pretty much any club but Arnie, don't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.

Yeah, this is it. Everyone can have great games. Milner's the type of player that can come on and contribute to a change in tactics or shape. As an individual, he's not superb, but maybe I should be thinking out of the box a little.

Fuckin fuck it I should be doing uni work and I'm discussing the merits of JIMMY MILNZ

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I can see Arnie's point. Stop winding him up guys. :p

for 20 million british pounds

even as a madrid fan i feel offended

edit: wait is arnie seeing my posts or did he really put me on ignore lol

I don't know, let's see I'm gonna quote you!

Yen

Seriously though, remember when Arsenal tried to be smart and bid £40m and ONE POUND for Suarez and in doing so, revealing they had basically tapped him up, even though they would've got him for about £45m? And then Suarez goes on to be the league top scorer, putting his side top while Arsenal fall out of the CL places.

Telegraph says City are looking at a transfer ban.

BlNmMADIIAA4_MF.jpg

LTWheels

What makes Milner attractive at the moment is that in the summer he will have less than 12 months left on his contract. He's a very good player for any team at the top of the table to have. Utter professional, extremely good at what he does, tactically switched on. All squads that are competing for top honours needs a play like that.

Milner has only started something like 8 games in the league this season. With City's eventual summer signings he will be even further down the pecking order. Maybe that will make a move away appealing to him, especially with all the emerging English wingers that will get more game time than him at their respective clubs; for his future England career.

Barzul

Seriously though, remember when Arsenal tried to be smart and bid £40m and ONE POUND for Suarez and in doing so, revealing they had basically tapped him up, even though they would've got him for about £45m? And then Suarez goes on to be the league top scorer, putting his side top while Arsenal fall out of the CL places.

Win the league first and then we can discuss the semantics. But it was still a fucking stupid bid. Why didn't we just make it 41m and be done.

Luckily he's English so Juve aren't interested.

I wonder what his contract situation is anyway.

I have no idea. I only know about the contracts of foreign talents because if they are younger than 18 they can only get 3 year contracts and United can't give them a new contract until they are 18.

He'll never leave though.

jbeLkyBDzB6UWQ.jpg

Arnie

I can see Arnie's point. Stop winding him up guys. :p

I don't know, let's see I'm gonna quote you!

Nobody's winding me up, I'm genuinely enjoying this.

Some understand, some don't.

I learn more about each poster with how they approach the argument, and I never expected everyone - or even the majority - to agree. I know it's controversial, I just think people get too preoccupied with flashy names and superstar signatures when the basic premise of football is to win football matches. Unless you're Real Madrid, in which case it's an exhibition of ultimately fruitless galacticos bought with the government's money.

Wilbur

Banned
guys patrice evra only has two and a half months left on his contract

* consummate professional
* won things
* hates suarez
* strong
* big
* black
* legs

michaelowendossier.pdf

Wilbur

Banned

I learn more about each poster with how they approach the argument, and I never expected everyone - or even the majority - to agree. I know it's controversial, I just think people get too preoccupied with flashy names and superstar signatures when the basic premise of football is to win football matches. Unless you're Real Madrid, in which case it's an exhibition of ultimately fruitless galacticos bought with the government's money.

hitch is that u

pulga

Banned

ive seen my "fruitless" galacticos win me leagues baby, something i dont expect you to understand lol

What makes Milner attractive at the moment is that in the summer he will have less than 12 months left on his contract. He's a very good player for any team at the top of the table to have. Utter professional, extremely good at what he does, tactically switched on. All squads that are competing for top honours needs a play like that.

Milner has only started something like 8 games in the league this season. With City's eventual summer signings he will be even further down the pecking order. Maybe that will make a move away appealing to him, especially with all the emerging English wingers that will get more game time than him at their respective clubs; for his future England career.

keep up

its over

sorry arnie

subtles

Jordan Rossiter will be breaking through either next year or the year after.

He's already made the bench at sixteen, special talent.

I meant outside of our club. I'm happy with the way our academy is coming along but there is a hole in certain positions at the 18-23 age group (English).

Not just in our academy but around in England from what I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom