• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtles

Shaw's Chelsea bound and Will Hughes, whilst a great prospect, still needs minutes away from Liverpool.

Milner could come in and do the business. Brendan will turn him into a fucking monster.

He sure as hell would've helped as the game was slipping away from us. Then again, him and Silva were the reason it was.....

As I'm typing this I see BELIEVE in the top left corner. Shaw will come through. For cheap.

I'm already looking forward to Brendan's biggest summer but Suarez vs Norwich comes first.

Arnie

I agree with you. 20 Million though?

That was when I thought we'd have to pries him out of a contract from a team who've got money to burn and had previously spent £25 million to sign the lad. In that context the figure makes sense (and christ would I have paid it).

But if he's entering the final 12 months of his contract it'd most likely be half that. Milner's one of those players like Muller who's exceptional at what he does and never shows off about it. He's a consummate professional, too. I just think he's really, really good and would only contribute to the positive vibes around the club.

He's also an excellent squad player to have when competing on multiple fronts because of his energy levels.

subtles

The scary part of yesterday was, as City executives sat in the director's box, recalling that Brendan was rumored to be on their managerial shortlist before getting Pellegrini.

Carbonox

just caught up on game of thrones...

ilbq8vGrDzuQz.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Bologna (Home)
Berardi (Away)
Atalanta (Home)

tumblr_n3zcn136BV1tsfikmo1_250.gif

tumblr_n3zcn136BV1tsfikmo2_250.gif

tumblr_n3zcn136BV1tsfikmo4_250.gif

three stars is happening

i can't breathe. im so happy

Arnie

£20,000,000 on James Philip Milner.

Christ.

That's less than half of Ozil and he's twice as useful.

That's my honest opinion. He changed the game yesterday in the middle of a fucking storm. Ozil shits himself at the slightest breeze.

But he's "world class" I suppose, so let's ignore that.

subtles

We definitely need the experience + can use the tidiness and character but if we get him JM7 won't be a thing anymore. :(

Walshy

You would think that with Richards leaving in the summer that City would of tied up Milners contract due to needing homegrown players for the Champions League.

I would love Milner at Liverpool. As others have mentioned, his work rate is fantastic and he has other attributes that would compliment the way Rodgers wants Liverpool to play.

Salvadora

That's my honest opinion. He changed the game yesterday in the middle of a fucking storm. Ozil shits himself at the slightest breeze.

You're going Damien Comolli.

Don't think many here would dispute that Milner is a tidy, versatile workhorse. But that's it.

Meier

just caught up on game of thrones...

ilbq8vGrDzuQz.gif

Great gif usage.

Milner is a great player -- gets way too much shit. Think he would be great in Liverpool's system. When given some freedom to attack, he offers a lot as was seen yesterday. I hope we keep him... frankly, we need to.

"love Milner at Liverpool"

Really guys? I mean it wouldn't be a bad signing, could even end up being a very good one if you got him....but that's got to be way way way way way down the wishlist.

do u guys want Young?

Arnie

You're going Damien Comolli.

Don't think many here would dispute that Milner is a tidy, versatile workhorse. But that's it.

No, I'm watching football and using that to inform my decisions.

You're just backing your club and your players, which is fine, we've all done it.

Really guys? I mean it wouldn't be a bad signing, could even end up being a very good one if you got him....but that's got to be way way way way way down the wishlist.

do u guys want Young?
My thinking is he's another major weapon for Brendan to use that we don't already possess.

Like, sure, I could say we want Diego Costa but realistically where the fuck would he play and why would we choose him over, say, Suarez(they're so very similar)? I can make that argument about a lot of these players who've been coached to do a few specific things almost immaculately (Sterling, Gerrard, Henderson, Flanagan, Django) but ultimately there's nobody in the squad who's quite like JM7. Nobody.

He's another way to win. Which is what I want. This squad already has so many ways to win, I just want another.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, sudden Milner love is a bit weird. Decent. Would do a job. Could see him being good at Liverpool. But fuck me if that's top of the summer priority list.

Yeah, sudden Milner love is a bit weird. Decent. Would do a job. Could see him being good at Liverpool. But fuck me if that's top of the summer priority list.

I've said it about Milner for a long time in here, extremely underrated and usually some downright idiotic comments made about him. With his age in mind it would be silly to pay a lot of money for him, but he's certainly one I would take at Chelsea.

Salvadora

No, I'm watching football and using that to inform my decisions.

You're just backing your club and your players, which is fine, we've all done it.
Come on Arnie :lol.

That post had nothing to do with Arsenal or Ozil, not sure how you got me backing them from it.

Wilbur

Banned
I've said it about Milner for a long time in here, extremely underrated and usually some downright idiotic comments made about him. With his age in mind it would be silly to pay a lot of money for him, but he's certainly one I would take at Chelsea.

I think he's a good squad player, but 20m would be a bizarre price.

arkon

Don't think anyone is saying he's top of the summer priority list.

A good addition to their squad that can make an impact in crucial games. Something they're going to need if they want to go far in Europe and challenge again for the title next season.

Wilbur

Banned
Don't think anyone is saying he's top of the summer priority list.

A good addition to their squad that can make an impact in crucial games. Something they're going to need if they want to go far in Europe and challenge again for the title next season.

Arnie is saying he'd happily spend 20m on him. What would that leave Liverpool with? Would he start? Are you spending 20m on a squad player? What kind of precedent would that set?

all rhetoricals kinda innit

BUT STILL

Walshy

do u guys want Young?
Liverpool are going to need a lot of quality in the squad come next season, with more competitions and the expectation to challenge in most of them.

Whilst getting a player like Milner wouldn't be the top of my priorities when it comes to summer additions, but he would add a lot to the squad: positionally great with a great work/fitness level and very tidy in possession/pressing.

Would add alot to any squad in the top eight.

pulga

Banned
are all of you guys taking one too many trips to nandos?

only teh chiken fumes can explain this sudden JM7 appreciation

he's the definition of average

Barzul

Read what you wrote again and think deeply about what you just implied. You just implied Milner is twice the player Ozil is.

L1NETT

Milner is absolutely brilliant at doing what he does. But he's right bloomin limited.

He's fine, a decent squaddie to ave, will work his socks off but 20m fuck me

If Milner is worth 20m Ross Barkley is worth the entire NASA budget

(sorry DC, I've realised my error)

Arnie

I've always liked him.

Always shrugged when people mocked.

And against Liverpool - I said it when he came on despite being five pints down - I knew he was going to get City playing. He's top.

The English especially just love to hate. Imagine how we'd treat Thomas Muller?
Come on Arnie :lol.

That post had nothing to do with Arsenal or Ozil, not sure how you got me backing them from it.
Because nobody else is actually trying to say that Ozil has been better than Milner this season (he hasn't).

To do so based on what we've seen would be ludicrous.

I guess my point also orbits around the fact that big money, big named signings can be utterly fucking poop (see: Ozil, Mkh, Mata) and so it's better to buy someone who you just know would fit in your squad and perform with ultimate consistency than go out and spunk a barrel full of money on reputation.
I think he's a good squad player, but 20m would be a bizarre price.
That was before I knew about his contract, and it's in the context of Manchester City (how much they paid versus how much they actually need to sell anyone).

Milner is absolutely brilliant at doing what he does. But he's right limited.

He's fine, a decent squaddie to ave, will work his socks off but 20m fuck me

If Milner is worth 20m Ross Barkley is worth the entire NASA budget

Which these days aren't much more than that either.

#ThanksObama

LTWheels

Can you imagine Henderson and Milner, in the same team (not managed by Hog). Talk about turbo charged engine and pressing.

Arnie

Read what you wrote again and think deeply about what you just implied. You just implied Milner is twice the player Ozil is.

I'm not speaking in eternal certainties like some fucking braindead goober, I'm saying that on the football pitch this season I've seen twice the consistency and level of performance from Milner than I have from Ozil.

Not that MILNER IS TWICE AS GOOD AS OZIL HOLY FUK EVERYONE DIS IS FUCKIN BANANAS

Show some subtlety, watch the football, form an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom