• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud23

Good morning, haters.

1397687140_extras_albumes_0.jpg

afp-casillas-cibeles--644x362.jpg

abci-aficionados-cibeles-201404170106.html

reuters-iker-casillas--644x362.jpg

1397710571_674956_1397710754_doscolumnas_normal.jpg

GorillaJu

Just saw updated renders of our new stadium:

69.501 capacity

Hngggg

Glass dome is retractable obviously. And the roof can light up like Allianz Arena.

That's pretty. It'll be really nice to have a covered stadium in the winter there. I figured other teams would have coverings given how cold it is there in the winter but whenever I watch a Russian league game it's a blizzard

That's pretty. It'll be really nice to have a covered stadium in the winter there. I figured other teams would have coverings given how cold it is there in the winter but whenever I watch a Russian league game it's a blizzard
The football infrastructure in Russia in general is awful. All Soviet era garbage. That's why getting the World Cup was so huge. Massive upgrades coming in the next few years. Next season is the start, Spartak and Rubin are moving into their new stadiums (which will also be World Cup venues).

Given how it is now though the league is dumb for not making the schedule so that that games in December and March are mostly played in the southern cities (Makhachkala, Grozny, Rostov, Kransnodar, etc). Crimea should also be a nice addition in that regard.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Apparently Levy wants Sherwood to give Lamela a run-out in the last few games. I doubt Tim gives a shit though. Even Townsend can't get a start ahead of Lennon.

GUYZE

Is there some kind of legal way to watch games online with a subscription ?
Has to be available in Italy. I need a way to watch the world cup games from home (no tv).

Also: DAT BALE GOL !

GorillaJu

GUYZE

Has to be available in Italy. I need a way to watch the world cup games from home (no tv).

I don't know of one for Italy.

In America we have NBC live extra which streams the games if you have any sort of cable or satellite. It's a really good deal.

There were rumors that Google was going to buy rights to offer the PL on stream but that was a while ago and nothing's ever come of it.

Jack cw

GUYZE

Doesnt your local public TV company (RAI or whoever) offer the games as stream on their website? Even in ancient Germany our local TV station(s) are streaming all WC games.

Doesnt your local public TV company (RAI or whoever) offer the games as stream on their website? Even in ancient Germany our local TV station(s) are streaming all WC games.

I have no idea, I'm not Italian and never bothered to check.
But I'll look it up, thanks.

I'm just afraid some games might be exclusively shown by SKY

Jack cw

I have no idea, I'm not Italian and never bothered to check.
But I'll look it up, thanks.

I'm just afraid some games might be exclusively shown by SKY

I'm not really into all the rights for broadcast in countries outside of Germany, but SKY here hasnt any rights for broadcasting international games that are done by FIFA, so no Confederations, Euro or World Cup on Sky. FIFA cups are done by our public stations. I guess it becomes hard to watch streams legally as they are IP locked in every country, so if you live in Italy you have to rely on the station that is broadcasting the games. I dont think that SKY offers online only subscriptions in any country at the moment.

jesalr

Apparently Levy wants Sherwood to give Lamela a run-out in the last few games. I doubt Tim gives a shit though. Even Townsend can't get a start ahead of Lennon.

Levy shouldn't get involved in who's playing or not, that's up to the manager.

That said, not playing Townsend over Lennon is criminal. Lennon has regressed so much since his injury. He bulked up too much and has lost a yard. But then Sherwood bleats on about how he should go to the WC.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If you’d been told at the start of the season that a Gerrard-Henderson-Coutinho-Sterling midfield diamond was going to fire Liverpool to the title, you’d have laughed – that’s (a) a player whose acknowledged weakness is his lack of discipline, (b) a box-to-box midfielder, (c) a number ten and (d) a winger. It’s remarkable they’ve managed to become a cohesive unit, not so remarkable they’re occasionally exposed defensively

really fascinating read, I love digging deeper into games like this. (Liverpool-City)

Also important in City’s comeback was the introduction of James Milner, who played narrower than Jesus Navas and was more involved in play. While City had successfully cooled the tempo of the game, it helped that they had another player who was capable of covering a lot of ground, and a stereotypically ‘English’ type of player. (Liverpool started with six English outfielders, City none, for the record.) He more likely to make things happen than Navas, and contributed to both of City’s goals – he and Silva have a better natural partnership than any other two players at City.

Arnie redeemed

Sterling was Liverpool’s best player. His positional versatility this season has been extremely surprising – he’s played left-wing, right-wing, right-wing-back and now as a number ten, the most demanding role Rodgers has asked from him.

BRAZIL IS CALLING

and finally

On his day Kompany is an excellent defender, but there haven’t been many of those days since City won the title two years ago, when the Belgian was the best centre-back in Europe. Kompany remains a fine player, but he’s committed almost every kind of defensive error in the last year or so – vulnerable to pace, capable of scoring crazy own goals, mistiming tackles, getting spun high up the pitch, jumping into tackles two-footed, losing his man at set-pieces, getting caught in possession. English football seems to have a blind spot to his failings, too: one newspaper column declared him the player of the season on the morning of this game, another gave him 8/10 for this display where, again, he was responsible for all three goals. Imagine the reaction had Demichelis cost City three goals in three different ways…

Ushojax

Levy shouldn't get involved in who's playing or not, that's up to the manager.

That said, not playing Townsend over Lennon is criminal. Lennon has regressed so much since his injury. He bulked up too much and has lost a yard. But then Sherwood bleats on about how he should go to the WC.

Lennon was good against West Brom, got two assists. He's never going to be a world beater but Jol, Harry, AVB and Sherwood all played him whenever he was fit, he must be doing something.

He doesn't deserve to play every game but I understand why managers stick with him.

Tegris

Man City's draw was a great result for us because it means that we can draw any one of our remaining games and still definitely win the league by winning the other three, due to the fact that Chelsea are unlikely to overtake our goal difference.

Two Cathedrals remains as the best finale ever. Ever.

That is a great episode. (Two Cathedrals semi-spoiler)
The flashbacks in particular are very well done - the casting for young Bartlet and young Mrs. Landingham was perfect.

Noël is probably my favourite individual episode.

jesalr

Lennon was good against West Brom, got two assists. He's never going to be a world beater but Jol, Harry, AVB and Sherwood all played him whenever he was fit, he must be doing something.

He doesn't deserve to play every game but I understand why managers stick with him.

He hasn't shown any of his strengths this season. Before WBA his output was shocking. He'd go completely missing in games too.

Ushojax

He hasn't shown any of his strengths this season. Before WBA his output was shocking. He'd go completely missing in games too.

Overall he's been shit, no doubt about it. He'd been getting by on his defensive contribution but that's started to wane now as well.

That 2 month layoff at the start of the season didn't help, he was very good last year but like so many of our players he seems to need a good pre-season of fitness work before he will reach his best form again.

jesalr

All hail King Bale

gareth-bale-goal-barcelona-real-madrid-copa-del-rey-2014-final.gif

I get goosebumps every time I see this!

#BIG #WHITE #LEGS

Overall he's been shit, no doubt about it. He'd been getting by on his defensive contribution but that's started to wane now as well.

That 2 month layoff at the start of the season didn't help, he was very good last year but like so many of our players he seems to need a good pre-season of fitness work before he will reach his best form again.

Yeah, in no way am I writing him off over all, but he shouldn't be starting every game, even with the injuries we have.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It’s arguable that Guardiola’s downfall at Barca – at least in a pure tactical sense – was his insistence on evolving the side a little too much, and at Bayern again there’s a danger he’ll experiment unnecessarily at the cost of raw quality. Bayern Munich are a significantly better side than Manchester United, but United took the lead twice in this tie, and were only beaten in the 166th minute of a 180-minute tie – once Bayern had returned to their default (Heynckes) 4-2-3-1 system.

humble pie for Pep

I'm not really into all the rights for broadcast in countries outside of Germany, but SKY here hasnt any rights for broadcasting international games that are done by FIFA, so no Confederations, Euro or World Cup on Sky. FIFA cups are done by our public stations. I guess it becomes hard to watch streams legally as they are IP locked in every country, so if you live in Italy you have to rely on the station that is broadcasting the games. I dont think that SKY offers online only subscriptions in any country at the moment.

Shit, looks like Sky DOES have rights to some games, although I wasn't able to find details.

Jack cw

humble pie for Pep

Well, this isnt really true regarding tactics. I dont want to defend Pep, but there is a huge difference in Heynckes 4-2-3-1 and Peps. I wouldnt count this a negative for Pep because he has this two options. He can play his 4-1-4-1 tiki taka and switch between a 4-2-3-1. Its actually semantics, as the default formation is a simple 4-3-3 that becomes either a 3-6-1 with both full backs playing CM or a 4-2-3-1 against a strong midfield or 4-1-4-1 against heavy defending oppositions. We scored all goals against United from an 4-1-4-1 formation, where the second CM became a CAM (Schweinsteiger and Müller goals) and the full backs running behind the wingers to play crosses.

I'm really thrilled to see what Pep plans against Real. Bale against Lahm should be interesting. I guess what Bayern played yesterday the last 25 minutes is an indicator, that Pep will play indeed Heynckes semi final miracle formation with Martinez/Schweinsteiger and Müller in front.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
^ Exactly subtles!

that becomes either a 3-6-1 with both full backs playing CM
a 3-6-1! Whoaaaa THREE defenders and SIX midfielders?! That's even more defensive and negative than a 3-5-2 herp derp

t was particularly telling that Bayern’s best spell came at 1-1, after Guardiola replaced Gotze with Rafinha, who played at right-back, moved Lahm back into midfield, and shifted Muller forward. Bayern were now 4-2-3-1, similar to the way they played last season, and were terrifyingly direct and purposeful on the ball.

The full-backs weren’t overlapping much more, but somehow Ribery and Robben seemed to find more space, and Muller was allowed into the box more permanently. Muller added the second with a classic poacher’s goal, Robben grabbed the crucial third after cutting inside, across the area, for maybe the first time in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom