• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Nnnnnoooooo

@DTguardian: Moyes confirmed that Rooney's fit for #MUFC trip to #EFC this weekend. Bruising gone down and X-rays of toe shown no damage

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't think he has, you know. There was murmurings of a loan move but I think that was just AVB (or InterTim) looking to move any players with a tad bit of character away.

I honestly want to see him and Eriksen starting every game for next season.

Lamela did ask for a loan move in January but Levy turned it down. I think he really wants him to succeed here, he just won't write off his most expensive ever signing after one season.

Kikarian

u wot m8.

the authorities in Buenos Aires found a 15 years old girl who was gave away by his mother (poor) to a couple 9 years ago. Turns out, the couple were followers of "Saint Death" (you can't make stuff like that)... they had her locked in the garage for all those years, she only went out two times. She weights 20kg (around 44 pounds), and she was locked with a dog and a monkey (u wot m8).

The monkey was -in contrast- well fed, robust animal, and the girl said the couple used to beat her if she dared to eat the left overs of the monkey's food.

Link (in spanish): http://www.lacapital.com.ar/informa...doradores-de-San-La-Muerte-20140417-0017.html

oh man.
15 year old girl given away by his mother.

There's a lot more to this story than they're telling.

Miggy D's "sources" tell him Moyes is far from safe.

Glazers I luv u.

I can't wait to celebrate the Moyes Out Trophy.

ibqN8dvCzb4oGD.gif

Nnnnnoooooo

@DTguardian: Moyes confirmed that Rooney's fit for #MUFC trip to #EFC this weekend. Bruising gone down and X-rays of toe shown no damage

Absolutely disgusting!

L1NETT

Compared to Lamela Ozil looks like a Henrick Larsson in terms of quality transfer.

Unbelievable how difficult he has found it settling in

Gotta be up there for worst signing of the season; although pushing Maroon 5ellani is difficult. The idiocy of paying over the clause, his general performances generally being funnier than Stewart Lee.

Might be up for a comedy award.

Salvadora

Compared to Lamela Ozil looks like a Henrick Larsson in terms of quality transfer.

Unbelievable how difficult he has found it settling in

Gotta be up there for worst signing of the season; although pushing Maroon 5ellani is difficult. The idiocy of paying over the clause, his general performances generally being funnier than Stewart Lee.

Might be up for a comedy award.
It's no surprise I would take this position, but Ozil doesn't really compare with some of the other names being thrown about in these lists.

Like, he's been a disappointment (especially relative to price), but he's put in a number of good performances in the first half of the season and made some extraordinary assists. His numbers are good and he fits in the team like a glove despite shifting leagues.

L1NETT

Oh I agree Sal, I think Ozil has had a fine season, but nowhere near as good as someone as talented as him should have had. Being overplayed and huge expectations may play parts of it.

He comes under flak when Arsenal collectively fail from the more brainless members of fans purely due to the size of the transfer. Comes with the territory.

I don't know the bloke (how could I), but he doesn't seem the toughest mentally. Interesting to see how he bounces back next year. Big things should be expected.

They have been plenty worse transfers in England this year.

Injuries play a part; like Kozak (8 million!) in some of them too

jtb

Banned
It's no surprise I would take this position, but Ozil doesn't really compare with some of the other names being thrown about in these lists.

Like, he's been a disappointment (especially relative to price), but he's put in a number of good performances in the first half of the season and made some extraordinary assists. His numbers are good and he fits in the team like a glove despite shifting leagues.

Premature to make judgements on just one season's worth of performances anyways. Lots of players have gotten off to great, immediate starts and petered off, and lots of players have taken a season to settle into the new team, league, etc.

Seriously though, whilst he hasn't been a flop - 5 goals and 13 assists, and a no show in almost all the crucial games.

Just not good enough for someone who cost £42m.

L1NETT

Trying to think of a best/worst transfer list for this year.

Worst (that I can think of )

Willian -35m are you kidding me
Jovetic -done squat, not his fault arguably
Soldado -enough said
Lamela - More than enough said
Cornelius -Don't think the EPl is cut out for you son
Fellani - already covered
Von Wolfswinkel - Alfonso Alves 2.0, fancy a trip to Barnsley next year Ricky?
Mitrolgou - 14m, injuries again but come on lol
Dwight Gayle - 5m. League One Player. Shite. Utter Shite
Kozak - Sorry Wes.
All of Di Canio's nobody's - I'm more sorry Hixx

Best

Mccarthy - Mint
Lovren - Mint 2.0
Lukaku - Loan's count. And what a loan
Huddlestone - Instrumental in their (relative) success for me
Fernandinho - Consistent quality. Can't ask for more than that

GorillaJu

Seriously though, whilst he hasn't been a flop - 5 goals and 13 assists, and a no show in almost all the crucial games.

Just not good enough for someone who cost £42m.

You would never admit that Fellaini has been even slightly disappointing through, given his fee.

Arnie

On a one to ten scale, if you have to be under a three to be classed 'worst signing' material, Ozil is a five.

You don't pay £42 million for fives.

Scum

Lamela did ask for a loan move in January but Levy turned it down. I think he really wants him to succeed here, he just won't write off his most expensive ever signing after one season.
I want to see him for 90mins before the season ends.

just with mates.

proper tourny... there's one coming up during summer but you got to play every day for 5 days and there's a good chance i'd fall apart.
D:

wedward

On a one to ten scale, if you have to be under a three to be classed 'worst signing' material, Ozil is a five.

You don't pay £42 million for fives.

It's been one season.

Christ.

It's not like we paid 42 million to have him for one season.

If this is Ozil's best season at Arsenal or he has 3 or 4 similar to this I would say we overpaid and he was a "flop".

I highly doubt that will happen though.

Arnie

It's been one season.

Christ.

It's not like we paid 42 million to have him for one season.

And you didn't pay that sheer amount to have an ornament for one or two years whilst he finds his feet.

He's not at that age or stage in his career.

He's still a five so far, like it or not. A stinking, wallowing, ghostly five.

wedward

And it's not like you signed him looking 2 or 3 years ahead.

When you pay that much for someone you expect instant returns.
'

Yes it is.

And we got instant returns. He improved our team. He provided 13 assists and six goals.

And you didn't pay that sheer amount to have an ornament for one or two years whilst he finds his feet.

He's not at that age or stage in his career.

He's still be a five so far, like it or not. A stinking, wallowing, ghostly five.

I don't think a season to find his feet is unreasonable.

If you do that's fine.

Arnie

'

Yes it is.

And we got instant returns. He improved our team.

Mignolet improved Liverpool more than Ozil improved Arsenal.

I don't think a season to find his feet is unreasonable.

If you do that's fine.
When you spend an exorbitant amount of money on a "world class" talent from arguably the biggest club in the world I don't believe you can afford him a 12 month settling in period, no.

Giving your average player a season is fairly reasonable, but not what I've just described.

Ozil isn't 19.

Wilbur

Banned
Ozil's done alright, but arnie's bang on. If you ignore his transfer fee, he's a five/six. Bringing that into consideration...

You can dress it up whatever way you like.

They're excuses. He may well go on to perform at a very high level for the rest of his time at Arsenal but his first year has not been up to scratch.

He's not a young budding player. He's established and has been playing at the top level for more than 4 seasons. He went into a team who were playing very well and was given a lot of freedom. He should have propelled Arsenal to a sustained title challenge but he withered away earlier than the rest. Very generous to excuse him especially when he put in some completely disgraceful performances recently.

Edit - Or what Arnie says. We are so in sync right now.

wedward

Mignolet improved Liverpool more than Ozil improved Arsenal.

When you spend an exorbitant amount of money on a "world class" talent from arguably the biggest club in the world I don't believe you can afford him a 12 month settling in period, no.

Giving your average player a season is fairly reasonable, but not what I've just described.

Ozil isn't 19.

Reina was shit.

Cazorla was very good.

I already said this was a disappointing season. But to call him a bad signing or say that he isn't worth 42 million is jumping the gun a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom