• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedward

He should have propelled Arsenal to a sustained title challenge but he withered away earlier than the rest.

Anyone who thought Ozil was the missing piece that would propel us to the title either didn't watch enough of Madrid or enough of Arsenal.

We were never going to be real title challengers with Giroud in front of Ozil and Theo out.

He was also overplayed badly. He played almost 30 consecutive games.

L1NETT

Also harsh to blame one person for not "propelling a title challenge"

Can't expect one player to carry a team to the title in the current PL climate. That's dumb dumb. And disgraceful performance is a robbie savage type term which means nowt

He's been disappointing considering the fee/his talent/the expectations but to label him so Tuffers Duffers worst transfer of the year is harsh in my view and ignores the swathes of far worse transfers in the league Ozil does get highlighted because it's Arsenal and he does stroll about like a Chav in a park.

Clegg

Veron not working out still disappoints me to this day.

Truly world class player at his peak, but he just never settled in England.

Abraxas

It's hardly the fact that its his first season. Whats more important is how he has been injured for long stretches, and that every player, and I mean every player, that he requires to get on the end of this killer passes has been out. Let's see Iniesta run the show when he has got Giroud, Rosicky and Podolski jogging 15 feet behind him at all times. Walcott's injury put a bullet in our season, and Ramsey's ended it.

3Sixty

Interview with Chambers on Guardian.

Apparently we still make youth players clean first team's boots.

He used to do Lamberts.

Also harsh to blame one person for not "propelling a title challenge"

Can't expect one player to carry a team to the title in the current PL climate. That's dumb dumb. And disgraceful performance is a robbie savage type term which means nowt

He's been disappointing considering the fee/his talent/the expectations but to label him so Tuffers Duffers worst transfer of the year is harsh in my view and ignores the swathes of far worse transfers in my book. Ozil does get highlighted because it's Arsenal.

Nobody said he is the worst transfer of the season - at least me and Arnie didn't, so yeah.

How would you describe his performances against Bayern then, for example? Crap, pathetic, gutless, not good enough, weak - take your pick of whichever term isn't Robbie Savage like. He was fucking shit and it was embarrassing that he was just prancing around the pitch like that.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to expect somebody who cost that much to be the key player in your title push. Why not? I didn't say he should have done it all alone. My point was that he cost alot of money and when Arsenal really needed him, he didn't turn up.

wedward

Mata was 5 million less than Ozil and he hasn't played especially well. His first 4 months at Man U have been much worse than Ozil's first four at Arsenal.

Was Mata a bad signing? No.

Does he need time to adapt to playing shit football? Yes.

Based on their first 4 months and using the same criteria you are judging Ozil you would have to say Mata has been a 3 at best.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I suppose I can break down Ozil's season using whoscored and separate his big game assists and goals from the rest

..but I'm already on thin ice with ArsenalGAF :lol

wedward

It's hardly the fact that its his first season. Whats more important is how he has been injured for long stretches, and that every player, and I mean every player, that he requires to get on the end of this killer passes has been out. Let's see Iniesta run the show when he has got Giroud, Rosicky and Podolski jogging 15 feet behind him at all times. Walcott's injury put a bullet in our season, and Ramsey's ended it.

People ignore the fact that Ozil's slump started when Ramsey and Theo went out.

Has Mata even been with United four months?

Ozil's first 3 months were great.

Has Mata even been with United four months?

Less than 3.

He hasn't been good enough though, I think most people will agree to that. At least there are some legitimate "excuses" for him but they're still excuses when you cost that much. Should have done alot better.

At least I know he isn't a whimp though. Mourinho couldn't beat it out of Ozil. I'd be fucking astounded if Wenger can manage it. Kloppo required.

subtles

I can't remember the last time Ozil forced a game the way Silva did last weekend (I'm talking primarily of his time at Madrid). We overran City and tried to deny Silva space only to have him switch gears and turn it up a notch.

His 'disappearing act' has a lot to do with him not dictating the game when his team are on the back foot.

It's probably harsh to single him out in a team full of class players, but a player as promising as him has never really lived up to expectations imo. (I thought the sky was the limit after WC 2010) His role now is far more important than it ever was at Madrid.

His moments of brilliance and final balls have always been mint, though.

L1NETT

He isn't a player but for best transfer I would have to go for Pulis.

Fucking shout

I was gonna put Suarez staying put to be #edgy but nah

Actually sod it, Suarez staying is the best transfer of the season.

---

What I would say bout Ozil is I think he would play better with people running beyond, I don;t think he suits the current Arsenal style. Theo and Ramsey did allow him to fulfill his game.

I just think when they play shite his style of playing noticeable stands out as being tremendously poor. When they are playing well nowt comments but as soon as things goes south a lazy looking player like Ozil is the first to get the shite thrown at him

Excuse #1000046 but I think the whole Arsenal team have been shoddy recently and it's the territory that the big bucks signing gets it in the neck.

He is a pussy though.

Mou "Work harder"

Mata "I'd like a transfer"

Oh for sure, he's a sensitive soul like most players are these days.

On the pitch though, he's a grafter.

I'm not even trolling. I think it's weird some Arsenal fans want to defend Ozil so staunchly. I'd be fucking pissed to see a player duck out of matches the way he does. Isn't that a concern for you going forwards? Serious question.

Clegg

Less than 3.

He hasn't been good enough though, I think most people will agree to that. At least there are some legitimate "excuses" for him but they're still excuses when you cost that much. Should have done alot better.

At least I know he isn't a whimp though. Mourinho couldn't beat it out of Ozil. I'd be fucking astounded if Wenger can manage it. Kloppo required.
Tbf we've seen a lot of improvement in his performances since the middle of March when RVP and Rooney started missing games. He's putting in the sort of performances you'd expect from a player ofm his calibre. Of course the problem will be what we're gonna do once everyone is fit. He can't play out wide.

Salazar

I had a haircut yesterday. Should have had it done 3 months ago but I didn't have the time due to final year uni commitments. It was nice to wake up this morning and not have to worry about how my hair looks. The girls seemed to like it last night too lol

I'm letting my hair go, in anticipation of looking like a yeti come doctoral graduation time.

Bonnet plus bog-body hair will go down well.

wedward

I'm not even trolling. I think it's weird some Arsenal fans want to defend Ozil so staunchly. I'd be fucking pissed to see a player duck out of matches the way he does. Isn't that a concern for you going forwards? Serious question.

Of course it does, but I don't lay the blame entirely on him. The whole team does and they did before he joined. Ozil was never the player who was going to change that.

We need better players in front of him.

I'm not upset about his game against Bayern because he was hurt. If you don't believe he was hurt I could see why you would think it was pathetic.

Jarnet87

Fellaini has been terrible but Moyes and Woodward didn't do him any favors by grabbing him on deadline day. Everyone knew Moyes was going to get Fellaini, we'd been rumored to get him even before Fergie retired. He should of been having a medical on July 2nd and playing in our preseason fixtures. At the worst we could have assessed the extent of his wrist injury early on and decided whether it was best he get surgery right away.

Mata has been great when he isn't shoved out wide to play like an English winger from decades ago. I'm sure Moyesus will relegate Mata back to the hell hole out wide once RVP is fit or next year when we sign another striker instead of midfielder(s)

Tbf we've seen a lot of improvement in his performances since the middle of March when RVP and Rooney started missing games. He's putting in the sort of performances you'd expect from a player ofm his calibre. Of course the problem will be what we're gonna do once everyone is fit.

I'm pretty confident that he'll do well if he gets to play in his favoured role. We've already seen what he can do there. The Chelsea teams of the last couple of years weren't great and he was very good for them...so if we can step it up a couple of notches to "decent" he could do the same for us I think.

This will first require Moyes fucking off, though.

Pls.

Yen

*Has Vietnam flashback to calling Andy Carroll MOTM after a goal against Wolves and claiming he had "turned a corner"*

Kikarian

Ozil hasn't met his expectations at Arsenal. However that's not to say he hasn't helped them this season.

Next season he's going to shone.

Clegg

Fellaini has been terrible but Moyes and Woodward didn't do him any favors by grabbing him on deadline day. Everyone knew Moyes was going to get Fellaini, we'd been rumored to get him even before Fergie retired. He should of been having a medical on July 2nd and playing in our preseason fixtures. At the worst we could have assessed the extent of his wrist injury early on and decided whether it was best he get surgery right away.
Think it's pretty fair to say that Fellaini wasn't United's first choice midfield target. I think Herrera was even further up the pecking order than him.

United's summer was a botch job from the very beginning. We had a manager and CEO too naive to realise that they were being placed by Fabregas and backup targets weren't solidified because Fergie never really kept a database.

Wilbur

Banned
Mata isn't doing shit with Moyes still at the club.

Regardless of where he plays or who he's alongside.

GTIYFH

Mm, dunno. We've genuinely looked like a good team when he's played behind the striker alongside Kagawa.

Moyes is too pussy to stick by his happy accidents though

Mm, dunno. We've genuinely looked like a good team when he's played behind the striker alongside Kagawa.

Moyes is too pussy to stick by his happy accidents though

We haven't.

He's looked a good player, cos he is.

We've looked - alright. Against really shit opposition.

Scum

Tbf we've seen a lot of improvement in his performances since the middle of March when RVP and Rooney started missing games. He's putting in the sort of performances you'd expect from a player ofm his calibre. Of course the problem will be what we're gonna do once everyone is fit. He can't play out wide.
Problem? What problem?? Keep Kagawa and Mata on the pitch. Pick either Rooney or RVP.

I know Newcastle are bollocks but you can only beat what's in front of you innit. I enjoyed watching us for once.

The first half was complete shit. We had one shot.

Not exactly a good team. Not trying to be pedantic or anything...that's just not good enough is it. Second half was good, yeah. That's crumbs though.

We'll probably set up similarly vs Everton - will see how good we look there.

Wilbur

Banned
The first half was complete shit. We had one shot.

Not exactly a good team. Not trying to be pedantic or anything...that's just not good enough is it. Second half was good, yeah. That's crumbs though.

We'll probably set up similarly vs Everton - will see how good we look there.

I almost want us to lose so Everton have more of a chance to beat arsenal to CL and Moyes may tumble into the precipice more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom