• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 13/14 |OT19| It's a good sign when its boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

L1NETT

Good shit on having Lallana on the list, bloke deserves it.

Ramsey's been out for months at a time, but his form for the beginning stretch of the season was unreal.

Good shortlist, no stand out omissions.

Clegg

So running with the, no European football and Moyes is gone theory...

I now want a draw against Everton. If Arsenal finish 4th, then the extra Europa League place goes to Hull. So we need Arsenal to finish 4th and so the more points Everton drop the better.

However, we don't want to finish 6th. So we don't want to take all 3 points against Everton. Hopefully Southampton also beat us and Spurs can manage to get a couple of results.

YES!
Arsenal are probably slight favourites to get fourth now that they're a point ahead of Everton and have the easier fixture list.

Everton have Southampton and City still to play too. Can see points dropped on one of those games. Spurs will probably fuck it up for us though.

Kosma

Banned
I wish I could go to some Ajax games, would even get a season ticket if there was a connection from here.

Not the confidence in PSV, but the confidence in the entire Eredivisie (maybe with the exception of ajax). Neither feyenoord, vitesse, twente or PSV are strong enough to beat Stoke.

What do you base this on?

Hixx

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_three_halves

Has anyone seen this?
KuGsj.gif
Imagine if it happened today.

Also lol Derby

Plasma

Banned
Just got the new FIFA world cup game, you can call up Livermore to the England squad but not Henderson. Does anyone at EA even watch football?

confuziz

Banned
I wish I could go to some Ajax games, would even get a season ticket if there was a connection from here.

What do you base this on?

Matches in the EL, overall quality of the play in the eredivisie and comparing it to midtable teams from the PL.

elseanio

Henderson is still massively underrated by the masses as he is not a 'YouTube clip player'.

Been the only outfield player to start every game for Liverpool this season, and has only been subbed off once (3-0 up against Norwich). Brilliant considering his work rate.

Arnie

Ambivalent towards Hendo not hitting the big time.

I'll love him all the same and let the gorps ignore him, or refer to him pejoratively as a 'marathon runner'.

sohois

Neither Barkley, nor Shaw, nor Lallana should really be on the shortlists. Seems a distinct English bias in their inclusions, to be honest.

I guess you can make a case that as Barkley and Shaw are teenagers, their performances should be judged with their younger ages in mind, but if that is the case then it's stupid to have the young player of the year award go up to 24; it should just be an under-21 award.

As for Lallana, seems like it's a case of some good recent performances biasing the selectors, attackers like Rooney and Silva have had far better contributions whilst there are multiple defensive players who could appear on the shortlist.

Wilbur

Banned
Neither Barkley, nor Shaw, nor Lallana should really be on the shortlists. Seems a distinct English bias in their inclusions, to be honest.

I guess you can make a case that as Barkley and Shaw are teenagers, their performances should be judged with their younger ages in mind, but if that is the case then it's stupid to have the young player of the year award go up to 24; it should just be an under-21 award.

As for Lallana, seems like it's a case of some good recent performances biasing the selectors, attackers like Rooney and Silva have had far better contributions whilst there are multiple defensive players who could appear on the shortlist.

There is no way Rooney has had a better season than Lallana.

3Sixty

No mate.

––––––––––

Buzzing for Lallana just to be there.

rossonero

Milan spend the same in wages as Juve......

ESPN doesn't agree though.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/10709445/sportingintelligence-global-salary-survey-espn-magazine

When it comes to football teams they got this list:

1. City
2. Real Madrid
3. Barcelona
4. Bayern
5. Man Utd
6. Chelsea
7. Arsenal
8. Juventus
9. Liverpool
10. Roma
11. Milan
12. Inter
13. Dortmund
14. Schalke
15. Tottenham

The list seems to be a little weird though and it seems they are looking at the 2012-2013 season?

L1NETT

As for Lallana, seems like it's a case of some good recent performances biasing the selectors, .

Yeah, fucking hate those selectors being swayed by a player PLAYING REALLY WELL THROUGHOUT THE SEASON

makes my blood boil

Biased bastards

Give it to Rooney, he hasn't been playing well

Injustice

sohois

There is no way Rooney has had a better season than Lallana.

Rooney has 15 goals and 10 assists from 25 starts compared to 9 & 6 from 33 for Lallana - and Rooney has largely played behind the striker than up top, similar to Lallana. In other areas they are fairly similar.

Rooney may have had a number of lazy and useless appearances, but he has often been carrying the United side. I suspect someone who watched the 2 without any prior knowledge of them would rate Rooney the better player over the season; Everyone here has been so weighed down by the United fan hatred, by the Sun bullshit and the years of publicity surrounding him that no once can really judge him fairly.

LINETT said:
Yeah, fucking hate those selectors being swayed by a player PLAYING REALLY WELL THROUGHOUT THE SEASON

makes my blood boil

Biased bastards

Give it to Rooney, he hasn't been playing well

Injustice

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

It doesn't matter that Lallana has done well, what is important is if he has been one of the top 6 players all season.

Remove Rooney, whatever, but has he been better than: Ramsey, Silva, Fernandinho, Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic, Skrtel, Lovren, De Gea, Cech, etc.?

No, for me.

3Sixty

Rooney has 15 goals and 10 assists from 25 starts compared to 9 & 6 from 33 for Lallana - and Rooney has largely played behind the striker than up top, similar to Lallana. In other areas they are fairly similar.

Rooney may have had a number of lazy and useless appearances, but he has often been carrying the United side. I suspect someone who watched the 2 without any prior knowledge of them would rate Rooney the better player over the season; Everyone here has been so weighed down by the United fan hatred, by the Sun bullshit and the years of publicity surrounding him that no once can really judge him fairly.

Stats!

Hixx

Silva has definitely been better and Rooney scored the greatest goal ever, so...

But they're not the hipster choices
gzdtIVu.png

Wilbur

Banned

I think if someone judged the two off stats without any prior knowledge would come to the conclusion that Rooney has been better, but actually watching them (and bear in mind I've watched every single minute Rooney has played this season; even the matches I've missed live I've gone back and watched), Lallana has been better.

Rooney scored a few free kicks that boosted his goal tally early on in the season (one or two which were flukey), and he's grabbing some assists from corners. Take his undeniably good set pieces out of the equation and it's far less impressive. He has been poor on the pitch for large swathes of this season, and it's been masked by the aforementioned set pieces and the fact the rest of the team has also been terrible.

sohois

I think if someone judged the two off stats without any prior knowledge would come to the conclusion that Rooney has been better, but actually watching them (and bear in mind I've watched every single minute Rooney has played this season; even the matches I've missed live I've gone back and watched), Lallana has been better.

Rooney scored a few free kicks that boosted his goal tally early on in the season (one or two which were flukey), and he's grabbing some assists from corners. Take his undeniably good set pieces out of the equation and it's far less impressive. He has been poor on the pitch for large swathes of this season, and it's been masked by the aforementioned set pieces and the fact the rest of the team has also been terrible.

That set-piece argument is bullshit. Do set-pieces not count in games, or something? You could apply exactly the same argument to Gerrard - in fact, far more to Gerrard - yet you won't find anyone querying his inclusion in the shortlist.

And whilst you are certainly in a good position to argue that Rooney has not been good enough this season - though again, heuristics and biases will play a huge role in your opinion - have you seen every game Lallana has played this season, or even close to every game?

3Sixty said:

Confirmation Bias! Reverse Halo Effect! Anchoring! Cached Thoughts! Framing! and so on.

All I know is that Adam Lallana has had a very good season by Adam Lallana's standards and that Rooney has had a fairly poor season by Rooney's standards and that Rooney has verifiably produced more on the pitch than Lallana this season.

Wilbur

Banned
Silva has definitely been better and Rooney scored the greatest goal ever, so...

But they're not the hipster choices
gzdtIVu.png

I don't think Silva's been great over the course of the season though.

Aguero and Negredo carried them for half a season, Silva's recently turned it on. Ferna and Yaya have been their only consistently good players all season, with intermittent spells from Nasri and Zaba.

Silva's been excellent for a fair few games in a row now, but I can't remember him doing very much at the start of the campaign.

I think Lallana's been great. There's a lot of good players left out this year, but if Fernandinho had been picked over him there probably would have been cries of big team bias, so people will moan either way. I'm happy he's getting the acclaim, and it might mean that Roy actually starts him in the World Cuo which would be nice.

That set-piece argument is bullshit. Do set-pieces not count in games, or something? You could apply exactly the same argument to Gerrard - in fact, far more to Gerrard - yet you won't find anyone querying his inclusion in the shortlist.

And whilst you are certainly in a good position to argue that Rooney has not been good enough this season - though again, heuristics and biases will play a huge role in your opinion - have you seen every game Lallana has played this season, or even close to every game?

Because in the case of Gerrard, I would say "he's been very good even if you did discount all the goals from penalties", whereas with Rooney I can only argue he's had a good season statistically and not in terms of actual performances on the pitch.

I suppose it's a bit like Messi, who has had an awful season by his standards but still has 30 odd goals. I'd make an argument he isn't even in the top 5 players in Spain this season, but his stats will obscure what has been a poor season for him.

FootballFan

Hey, anyone know if there is a tech support thread on gaf?

Maybe one of you would know.

Basically:

- Xperia Tablet Z2
- Ipad Air
- Ipad mini(retina)

All 32GB.

All same price.

Which one is the best?

I'd be using it to watch videos/browse internet mainly.

Hixx

You say Silva hasn't been great over the course of the season, I could say the same of Lallana. Apart from the Newcastle game I don't think he's been up to much in the last 2-3 months. His great form kind of petered out at the end of January.

edit: Bridcutt still not available this weekend. He missed Everton because his wife went into labour the night before. Hope 2+2=5 here.

Wilbur

Banned
You say Silva hasn't been great over the course of the season, I could say the same of Lallana. Apart from the Newcastle game I don't think he's been up to much in the last 2-3 months. His great form kind of petered out at the end of January.

edit: Bridcutt still not available this weekend. He missed Everton because his wife went into labour the night before. Hope 2+2=5 here.

Suppose so. I'd have Terry over either of them anyway.

Wilbur

Banned
Michael Owen's team of the season (will this be treated as gospel?):

De Gea; Zabaleta, Skrtel, Terry, Baines; Lallana, Gerrard, Toure, Sterling; Suarez, Sturridge

Baines is a lazy choice for this season. Azpilicueta and Gibbs have had better seasons.

pulga

Banned

Basically:

- Xperia Tablet Z2
- Ipad Air
- Ipad mini(retina)

All 32GB.

All same price.

Which one is the best?

I've read the mini retina is pretty awesome

do1fKjb.jpg

Gurthang

Banned

Basically:

- Xperia Tablet Z2
- Ipad Air
- Ipad mini(retina)

All 32GB.

All same price.

Which one is the best?

Ipad Air for sure though. Never used Z2 but seriously hard to beat Air. It's just perfect

FootballFan

I've read the mini retina is pretty awesome

Have you tried it out? Or is this just what you've heard/read?

Ipad Air for sure though. Never used Z2 but seriously hard to beat Air. It's just perfect

Cool, thanks Gurthang.

Z2 releases in a week here, I haven't seen it in person yet, was wondering if anyone here has any opinion on it in comparison to the other 2 I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom