• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you guys like to rag on dc89 a little bit due to his enthusiasm, but come on, a lifelong fan of a club who hasn't won in two generations of fans' lifetimes finally getting to see his team win is a wonderful story. To have your local archrival just dominate for your entire lifetime and to finally get one over on them.. it will be indescribable. I am so happy for dc and all of the other local fans who have stuck with their team through thick and thin. It's quite admirable.

The Orlando Magic will be my only team who hasn't won a championship in my lifetime if City pull it off on Sunday. It's bad enough having the Heat (who aren't even in the same city obviously) win multiple championships already and seem primed for more -- I can't imagine how painful it would be if they'd won another 15 or so in my lifetime before I saw one! :(

I don't think we've given him anything but some friendly teasing? Can't give him premature congratulations now can we?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Real Madrid, Juventus, Porto, Ajax and Borussia Dortmund won their respective league titles in 94/95 and have done the same in 2011/2012.

Steve Kean kinda ruined it didn't he?

Clegg

cdzbr.jpg

Amazing to see the resurgence of Juve so quickly. Vidal and Pirlo were inspired signings.

Twitter is rife with reports saying M'Villa to Arsenal is practically a done deal and will be announced once the season has ended.

I'm totally jelly, if true. Not value enough, Fergie? :(

bjaelke

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football...-in-all-their-matches-for-the-last-four-years
Today is the fourth anniversary. Not of any trophy (in fact Barça ended up losing), but of a way of understanding the game of football which is envied throughout the world. The last time FC Barcelona held less than 50% of possession in a match was on 7th May 2008. It was in the Santiago Bernabeu, with the 2007/08 league title already decided, that Real Madrid clearly outplayed Frank Rijkaard’s Barça team to win 4-1. Since then, Barça have played 247 consecutive matches, the last two under Rijkaard and all those in the Guardiola era, enjoying superior possession of the ball.

Yen

I know you guys like to rag on dc89 a little bit due to his enthusiasm, but come on, a lifelong fan of a club who hasn't won in two generations of fans' lifetimes finally getting to see his team win is a wonderful story. To have your local archrival just dominate for your entire lifetime and to finally get one over on them.. it will be indescribable. I am so happy for dc and all of the other local fans who have stuck with their team through thick and thin. It's quite admirable.

The Orlando Magic will be my only team who hasn't won a championship in my lifetime if City pull it off on Sunday. It's bad enough having the Heat (who aren't even in the same city obviously) win multiple championships already and seem primed for more -- I can't imagine how painful it would be if they'd won another 15 or so in my lifetime before I saw one! :(

Academy starlets Joao Teixeira and Yusuf Mersin joined Liverpool FC community coaches at Pinehurst primary school in Anfield for one of the club's Truth 4 Youth assemblies.

Community manager Bill Bygroves and staff were there to communicate their seven key messages to the youngsters, covering a range of issues included anti-racism, anti-bullying and positive community action.

And the reserves brought along a special surprise for the schoolkids. The European Cup made the short journey from its permanent residence in the Anfield museum to the school, a couple of minutes up the road.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Liverpool FC ‏ @LFC

"Congratulations to @JuventusFC on winning the Serie A title from all at Liverpool Football Club."

Classy.

How many threads have you guys started on GAF? I've only ever started one. I was scared it would go down like a lead-balloon. Response was luke-warm enough.

Liverpool FC ‏ @LFC

"Congratulations to @JuventusFC on winning the Serie A title from all at Liverpool Football Club."

Classy.
AC Milan did the same last night which I thought was a great gesture. Apparently Golden Tie dude called Agnelli to personally congratulate him too.

Arnie

Lot of reach around going on in here, can I get a tug.

Did you get fired?

What is Kermit on about on Twitter? Look up from my game of Halo to see some shit about Nasri. Does Kermit actually believe that the atmosphere at the derby was the greatest of all time, conclusively proven by a video of some City fans singing Blue Moon or whatever?

I want City to win the title as much as the next man, but that's a ludicrous statement made by a ludicrous player.

Fur_Q

How many threads have you guys started on GAF? I've only ever started one. I was scared it would go down like a lead-balloon. Response was luke-warm enough.

AC Milan did the same last night which I thought was a great gesture. Apparently Golden Tie dude called Agnelli to personally congratulate him too.

Well to be honest I didn't fell comfortable responding to a "Who'd like to lick Sir Alex's ring piece" thread so I left it ;)

If the M'Villa turns out to be true, then it seems we may change our formation to facilitate both him and Song into the midfield. An interesting development. But our problem these past few years has been the backline with too many injuries, and this season, not enough creativity coming from the midfield. M'Villa doesn't address either of these issues.

If the M'Villa turns out to be true, then it seems we may change our formation to facilitate both him and Song into the midfield. An interesting development. But our problem these past few years has been the backline with too many injuries, and this season, not enough creativity coming from the midfield. M'Villa doesn't address either of these issues.
We'll sign Kagawa and you guys sign M'Vila and then we'll swap?

Feorax

Some rumours on twitter (lol) that Villa have approached Paul Lambert.

Good shout if true.

Do you guys reckon Carroll will be in the Olympic squad?

Might as well take him to the Euro's. We aren't exactly falling over ourselves with strikers at the moment (no pun intended).

Did you get fired?

What is Kermit on about on Twitter? Look up from my game of Halo to see some shit about Nasri. Does Kermit actually believe that the atmosphere at the derby was the greatest of all time, conclusively proven by a video of some City fans singing Blue Moon or whatever?

I want City to win the title as much as the next man, but that's a ludicrous statement made by a ludicrous player.

I saw that about the atmosphere the other day but there wasn't much that came across on tv

Plasma

Banned

Song will probably just go forward more and M'Vila will sit back and cover the defence.

Would Wenger play a diamond midfield? I don't think I've ever seen Arsenal start with anything other than 4-2-3-1, or at the very least, a formation with wingers.

Sorry M'Vila shoudn't be there (he's clearly a replacement for Diaby, who will be euthanized during the offseason) but given the lack of quality wingers at the club, a diamond midfield wouldn't be the worst idea.

Meier

Liverpool FC ‏ @LFC

Classy.

While we're at it, Kompany had a nice tweet of his own:

Kevin Mirallas player of the year in Greece, @Jan_Vertonghen in holland and @hazardeden10 probably again in France. Well done boys! #Belgium

Lansbury on for Collison, who seemed to land badly and hurt his shoulder under a challenge from Cardiff - hopefully it isn't too bad and they're just subbing him as a precaution.

Zabojnik

Real Madrid, Juventus, Porto, Ajax and Borussia Dortmund won their respective league titles in 94/95 and have done the same in 2011/2012.

Steve Kean kinda ruined it didn't he?

And then, a year later ... I know, I know, no chance in hell, but a man can dream.

Meier

535 it looks like. Been around a long time though.. my most recent one about Keane's newest album is half my posts, ahaha. Not a lot of fans here apparently.

faridmon

535 it looks like. Been around a long time though.. my most recent one about Keane's newest album is half my posts, ahaha. Not a lot of fans here apparently.

Keane are OK. Not a band to get excited about. Their first album was good, but now they have infused a lot more electronica into their music.

Some rumours on twitter (lol) that Villa have approached Paul Lambert.

Good shout if true.

Might as well take him to the Euro's. We aren't exactly falling over ourselves with strikers at the moment (no pun intended).

While he's been good the last month or two, Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge and even Holt & Crouch have had better seasons. I think Carroll would be there ahead of Holt on reputation if nothing else, and he offers something very different to the others.

What's going on with Bent btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom