• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Been to every home game this season, I'm obviously a lucky charm
Next season I'll have to up my game. I can do most of my job from home, so that shouldn't be a hindrance anymore.

Tonight could very well be Kuyt and Maxi's last home game. Hope they get a start and a nice send off.

Wilbur

Banned
Pointless final contestants' babies would be either ginger or monsters

I would go for... Shakira, Elizabeth Hurley and Kelly Brook

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Santos president "Barcelona's interest [in Neymar]? They can go harvest potatoes in Catalunya."

What in the fuck
BLJtC.gif
BLJtC.gif
BLJtC.gif

Seems like we'll be playing a friendly against Juve in Las Vegas on Agust.

Are you guys sure you want to play us in a friendly again? We almost broke CR7's leg
BLJtC.gif

Awesome photos :D Post as many as u want. You have every right to ;D This thread is all about football passion in the end after all :D
Thanks Fady ;)

Wilbur

Banned
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/08/nick-barmby-sacked-hull-city

Hull City have sacked Nick Barmby, accusing him of "casting public doubt on the integrity" of the club's board.

The 38-year-old, who had only been the manager for six months after taking over from Nigel Pearson in November, was widely reported to have been suspended last week in the wake of an interview he gave questioning the lack of money made available to him in the January transfer window.

Hull's owners Assem and Ehab Allam took exception to the comments and on Tuesday confirmed Barmby's dismissal, claiming the former England international had misled fans with his comments.

"Following recent speculation in the media Hull City can now confirm that following a brief period of suspension Nick Barmby has today been dismissed from his role as first-team manager with immediate effect," a statement read.

"The reason for the dismissal relates to certain comments made by Nick in recent interviews. The comments concerned were wholly misleading and implied that the board had not made funds available to Nick to strengthen the first-team squad during the January transfer window.

"Such is not only completely untrue, the comments made by Nick contradicted the board's publicly stated position that funds would be made available to Nick during the January transfer window.

"As stated in previous interviews, the board accepted every transfer request from Nick and in fact actively encouraged him to strengthen the squad should he feel it was necessary.

"The board consider the comments made by Nick unjustifiably cast public doubt on the honesty and integrity of the board and its members.

"The relationship between the manager and the board is of prime importance to the success of any football club. In making the comments Nick made, he completely undermined the trust and confidence that needs to exist between the team and board."

Barmby joined Hull as a player in 2004 and played a key role in their promotion to the Premier League in 2008. The former Leeds United, Tottenham Hotspur, Middlesbrough, Everton and Liverpool midfielder remained loyal to the side following relegation in 2010 and was made a player-coach under Nigel Pearson the following season.

Pearson quit Hull to return to his former club Leicester City in November last year and Barmby initially took over in a caretaker capacity. Hull appeared on course for the play-offs until a run of five straight defeats in March derailed their challenge and they finished seven points adrift of the top six.

"The club sincerely hopes that its fans will recognise that the decision to dismiss Nick was not taken lightly," the club statement continued. "The decision was taken following meetings with Nick where he had every opportunity to state his case and make representations.

"The club feels that it has treated Nick entirely fairly and in the same way that it would have treated any other employee in the same situation. Having been prepared to give Nick his first opportunity in football management, and for it to end like this, has been a particular disappointment to the board.

"Notwithstanding the circumstances of this "parting of the ways" the board wish Nick every success in his future career and thank him for the service he has provided to the club.

"The club can confirm that the search for a new manager will begin immediately."

The League Managers Association issued a statement on behalf of Barmby in which he said: "I am obviously hugely disappointed to have been dismissed. I maintain that my sacking was entirely without justification. In everything I have done for the club I have always acted in the best interests of Hull City.

"I was told today that I had seven days within which to submit an appeal against my dismissal, and yet the club has now made an official statement, on behalf of the board, stating publicly the alleged reasons for my dismissal, and indicating that the search for a new manager will begin immediately.

"I nevertheless intend to appeal. As the matter is subject to an appeal, and, if necessary legal proceedings, it would not be appropriate for me to make any further comment at this stage, despite the fact that the club has seen fit to go public with its version of events.

"I would like to pay tribute to the supporters, players and staff of Hull City Football Club for the huge support they have given me throughout my time at the club, and if my appeal should not be successful I would like to wish the club all the best for the future".

What in the Devil is this? link?

Oh not this year haha! It was on Pointless, she won it in the past. Still bizarre though, she looks like a fish and a goblin fucked and she popped out.

Kyoufu

Oh not this year haha! It was on Pointless, she won it in the past. Still bizarre though, she looks like a fish and a goblin fucked and she popped out.

She looked great in Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

What a great show that was. The only time I enjoyed Superman.

Those lists always point to who is most relevant in the tabloids and Hollywood as much as anything else. She probably won it during the first season of Desperate Housewives.

Bumhead

Banned
Hull are in a bit of a mess at the moment, by all accounts. I think there's a few questions being asked about the intentions of their new overseas owners (now there's a fucking surprise).

Don't care for Hull at all but Barmby is something of an icon there so I can't imagine that's gone down at all well.

Arnie

Don't know if anyone cares but we've just put the previous episode of our live radio show on Mixcloud. We discuss Roy Hodgson (which I'm quite vocal about) and the Manchester derby (with a United fan and season ticket holder).

I'm sure at the very least Kermit will give me some shit about it on Twitter, although I'll be the first to admit I'm not made for the radio, unlike our host. I've got the whiny voice and I'd much rather use a pen than my voice.

Because we're on a radio station we're obligated to play a certain number of songs, so just skip through them.

Hixx

Which ones?

And if you condone a 30 FPS DMC game then you must not really be a fan of the series I guess.

Heavenly Sword was good and, aside from being a bit of a mess performance wise, Enslaved was a great game.

I've played every DMC. 3 is the only one that is anything special. 2 is wank, the first was ok, 4 descended into shit territory when you had to do pretty much everything for a second time.

bjaelke

To be fair to Rangers fans, you don't want an American coming in with no interest in football, making bad business decisions in their own personal interest and ultimately risking the club going out of business.

OH WAIT.

Drowning Rangers fan offered help by man in lifeboat. Hears American accent. Tells him to fuck off. Drowns.

Don't know if anyone cares but we've just put the previous episode of our live radio show on Mixcloud. We discuss Roy Hodgson (which I'm quite vocal about) and the Manchester derby (with a United fan and season ticket holder).

I'm sure at the very least Kermit will give me some shit about it on Twitter, although I'll be the first to admit I'm not made for the radio, unlike our host. I've got the whiny voice and I'd much rather use a pen than my voice.

Because we're on a radio station we're obligated to play a certain number of songs, so just skip through them.
Listening to it now and there's nothing whiny about your voice at all. You sound great.

Wilbur

Banned

I'll give it a listen later, cheers. I do a uni radio show but its with a girl with no interest in football whatsoever haha

Hell yeah, Bakaye Traorè (27) from Nancy is coming to Milan. Alright Juve, you can already give us the Scudetto. :p Yep, he'll definitely make us win everything the next ten years. That's for sure. I mean, M'Vila is good and all, but Traorè...

I'm completely clueless about him, except that the last season he played in the 11th team of the Ligue 1, which didn't bothered that much about Traorè to secure him for the next seasons. Does anybody knows how he plays?

Now we've established how old we are what do folk do for a job?

No need to embellish it, if you're a student just say you are an unemployed drain on the rest of us.

I'm a planner for BT, massively exciting I am

Wilbur

Banned

No need to embellish it, if you're a student just say you are an unemployed drain on the rest of us.

Student at uni doing English and creative writing, but work part time at a toy shop

Michael Zorc:

"There's no official offer, neither from Real nor from Rewe. Pisczek will play in Dortmund next season."

Goddamn Zorc, I've never heard that joke before lol... Note for not German GAF, Rewe is a supermarket chain and there's one called Real, too.

bjaelke

Project Manager for a Tourism Destination Developing Firm.

Arnie

I hate you all so much with your NUS cards and festival wristbands

I cut mine off when I was sick on them after a night out. And I don't have an NUS card, you have to pay. I do have a personal student card that gets me a free hamburger, cheeseburger or mcflurry with a meal at maccies.

elsk

Banned
I'm fucking broke. That's what I do.

Michael Zorc:

"There's no official offer, neither from Real nor from Rewe. Pisczek will play in Dortmund next season."

Goddamn Zorc, I've never heard that joke before lol... Note for not German GAF, Rewe is a supermarket chain and there's one called Real, too.

Good last thing we need in Europe is a Real Madrid with a good defense.

Wilbur

Banned
I cut mine off when I was sick on them after a night out. And I don't have an NUS card, you have to pay. I do have a personal student card that gets me a free hamburger, cheeseburger or mcflurry with a meal at maccies.

I only found out about this last month!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom