• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
I'd like to see them play together, definitely. But I don't doubt that a large part of the reason they bought him is as a precaution.
I am still so sure that Van Persie will sign if he gets the right offer and we buy well in the summer. Podolski is a good start if the deal happens but more is required.

Certainly. I'm currently hoping that we sort out Bilbao.

It's got to be Rafa rather than Jones on the right.

And if Super Tom is properly fit, play him. Scholesy's mobility will let him down.

Oh, another United fan? :-D

sup mate? :D

Don't you worry, we'll do just fine tonight!
rage_likeasir.png

I will be an absolute rage if Arsenal sell Van Persie to City. That would be as bad as selling Fabregas to City... Just totally unacceptable.

I don't believe Van Persie will do that anyway.

Money talks and bullshit walks mate.

What most players like RVP want is to win trophies. How many has he won with Arsenal?

It most certainly doesn't look good, unless they commit to him that they will get more players of his calibre and strengthen the squad enough to be more competitive next season. Just like sir Alex did with Rooney.

bjaelke

What a stupid game by Barcelona yesterday. Who doesn't sub their best player when they're up 4-0?! Fucking stupid.

Also I went to bed at 4-0 expecting the game to be over.

Same, except it's Mass Effect 3 if we win and Mass Effect 3 if we don't. (And two hours earlier, thankfully.) Just cracked open the box. Please don't let me down, Bioware.

I doubt Cleverley and Anderson will start together. But, who knows, Fergie might roll the dice with heavy rotation ahead of the title run-in. Otherwise, no Pogba on the bench would likely confirm the reports. So silly - the only person who wins out there is the agent, convincing a kid to go sit on the bench at Juve for a little more money, getting a near two million euro bonus in the process. How can these modern footballers be so short-termist and naive? I suppose you could say that about so many touched by the financial industry these days.

Athletic will be no pushovers, though. The Guardian actually ran a good article on El Loco today. I wish I could quote the whole thing:

Sid Lowe said:
They call the Argentinian El Loco and maybe they look too hard for madness. The way Athletic are playing, watching him not his team is absurd, yet it is hard not to be drawn to him. Bielsa is unusual, there is something addictive about his actions. Besides, person and professional are inseparable. The question is: is he really as mad as he is portrayed? "No," says the forward Iker Muniaín. "He is madder."

Bielsa arrived last summer and Athletic's players still have not completely worked him out. They have never seen anything like him and do not think they ever will. He is disconcerting, praising awful performances and bemoaning brilliant ones. Above all, he is intense. Compulsive. Obsessive. Mad. "He lives for football," the striker Fernando Llorente says. There are days, adds Javi Martínez, when he doesn't leave Lezama until the small hours. It is, he says, "insane".

A few weeks ago, Bielsa was stopped by a group of kids who asked him to sign their sticker album. He said no, he had a better idea. He took the album off them and told them to meet him the following day, same place, same time. When he turned up 24 hours later, the entire team had signed the album. Not just any team: El Loco's team, the most exciting Athletic have had in three decades.

Fady K

BARCA MY GOODNESS.

1-0 to Apoel who will win on penalties. Heard it here! Their fans are going fucking nuts already.

Wow. Who are you Woodenlung :p??

No cards for any of them.
KuGsj.gif

2222227jzom.gif

LOL. We can make a puzzle game out of this. Combos and all.

Respect, Rooney :D

I see Fady is not listed as a Chelsea fan in the OP. Stealth City fan confirmed.

Apparently I was the only one who wanted to be listed in 2 places at the same time :p By defying the laws of physics, I was not permitted to have my name in the hall of fame :[ Much love to City though : ] Hope they shock the world and go for a double.

Multiquoting it up in here.

Silly, we all know that Fady secretly supports Madrid. You can only have one team, you know.

Multiquotes FTW :D But for my heart, there can only be one:

mu.gif

how on earth is barca not winning la liga?

If you watch Barca week in week out, you can easily see the difference. The team is so darn motivated and energetic in the CL, while in the La Liga, every match seems like there is less effort.
Injuries aren't helping either but that's part of the game.

Pretty much! They simply don't seem too motivated most of the time. Which is good for one reason for me - Mourinho winning the league may hopefully send him back to Chelsea.
Let a fan dream a little longer :'[

This is one of the worst Champions ever, but it will never matter if we win it.

Today I have a wedding, I hope it ends early so I can have time to play Mass Effect and watch the friggin' Manchester - Bilbao.

Salazar

The Telegraph said:
Manchester United's title pursuit is being orchestrated by Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, two timeless midfield warriors with a combined age of 75, the first of whom was persuaded to renounce retirement to stiffen a sagging challenge. As for what lies ahead, Morrison has already left the club for West Ham, while Pogba, it was announced this week, will depart in the summer to a new position with Juventus. Suddenly the future looks an altogether fuzzier prospect.

How did the lights dim on the brighter tomorrow?

How did Manchester United, the club who pride themselves on youth development, where structured transition has been the binding philosophy for the past quarter of a century, suddenly see the future slip from their grasp?

It's like fucking Billy Bragg lyrics. Lights going off. The future slipping. Challenge sagging.

Knob off, Jim White. Morrison is a headcase and Pogba is a greedy sod.

LegoArmo

I love those articles about United, year after year...

I think it's a good idea just to have complete faith in Ferguson, and what he does. More often than not, he gets it right.

Mastadon

Banned
It's like fucking Billy Bragg lyrics. Lights going off. The future slipping. Challenge sagging.

Knob off, Jim White. Morrison is a headcase and Pogba is a greedy sod.

As ridiculous as that article is, it's point isn't far off really. It's obviously not a crisis, but it's strange that your two most heralded youth players have fucked off at the earliest oppourtunity. It means you have to either blood some less talented youngsters to take over the reins, or open the chequebook to sign some ready made talent.

I love those articles about United, year after year...

I think it's a good idea just to have complete faith in Ferguson, and what he does. More often than not, he gets it right.

Absolutely, but I think it's pretty clear that Fergie didn't really want to lose either Morrison or Pogba.

Salazar

As ridiculous as that article is, it's point isn't far off really. It's obviously not a crisis, but it's strange that your two most heralded youth players have fucked off at the earliest oppourtunity.

I think it's still a coin-toss whether Morrison will make it (I mean, properly) as a pro. Skiving from first team training at Man United is just mental. I don't see his departure as strange. Regrettable in some ways, but he was practically goading the club to fuck him off.

LegoArmo

Absolutely, but I think it's pretty clear that Fergie didn't really want to lose either Morrison or Pogba.

He obviously didn't want to lose them, but a big wage would probably have kept both at the club, and I guess he decided they weren't worth breaking the wage structure for.

At the end of the day, you want players who want to play for the club. So I think he made the right decision.

Also, Morrison is a twat.

Mastadon

Banned
I think it's still a coin-toss whether Morrison will make it (I mean, properly) as a pro. Skiving from first team training at Man United is just mental. I don't see his departure as strange. Regrettable in some ways, but he was practically goading the club to fuck him off.

True enough, I personally don't think he'll ever come close to fulfilling his prodigal potential. But still, the Man Utd staff clearly invested a lot of time and effort into him, including Fergeson himself if reports are to be believed. Must have been fairly frustrating to just see him up and leave.

Salazar

If Ravel had put in a solid run of reserves performances and behaved himself, we were probably going to send him on loan somewhere decent to get first team football anyway. He could very easily have got what he wanted without burning his bridges with United and coming off to other clubs as a misfit.

Then again, Big Sam is paying him Arsenal-tier silly wages.

Mastadon

Banned
If Ravel had put in a solid run of reserves performances and behaved himself, we were probably going to send him on loan somewhere decent to get first team football anyway. He could very easily have got what he wanted without burning his bridges with United and coming off to other clubs as a misfit.

Then again, Big Sam is paying him Arsenal-tier silly wages.

Has he actually played for West Ham yet?

Salazar

Has he actually played for West Ham yet?

Nope.

Sullivan said:
Ravel is a young man. It might be that Man U let him go because we weren’t in the Premier League. We have always got on well with Man United. Newcastle were in strongly for him, we were told. I really think he will be in our first team before the end of the season. He wants first team football so that appealed to him. I met him, and I think he had never met the owners of Man United. Maybe that persuaded him to come. Time will tell if it was a good signing or a bad signing.

Yeah, I'm really sure the charm and gravitas of David Sullivan sealed the deal.

Manager

Thanks you! It's outright insane how many defenders they have who makes over £50k.

Vermaelen -£70,000 PW = £3,640,000 PY
Sagna – £60,000 PW = £3,120,000 PY
Mertesacker – 60,000 PW = £3,120,000 PY
Squillaci – £60,000 PW = £3,120,000 PY
Santos – 50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY
Koscielny – £50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY
Djourou – £50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY
Gibbs – £40,000 PW = £2,080,000 PY
Jenkinson – £20,000 PW = £1,040,000 PY

And all high-salary GK's:
Almunia – £60,000 PW = £3,120,000 PY
Fabianski – £50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY
Szczesny – £50,000 PW = £2,600,000 PY
Mannone – £30,000 PW = £1,560,000 PY

This from a team that has conceaded the most of the top-10 teams (13th in total I believe).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That nudge on Dawson was cheap as hell. Sorry to see that lad injured, as I quite like him.

It was horrible. Such a cheap foul and to get an injury like that...his knee and ankle are completely fucked up. I reckon he was just about to get a run in the side as well.

Carbonox

Mass Effect 3 arrived today and after a couple of months, I finally get my surgery date for having my busted wisdom tooth taken out. TODAY IS A GOOD DAY. I could have kissed the postman. I need to share my glee with footy-GAF.

Kyoufu

I will be an absolute rage if Arsenal sell Van Persie to City. That would be as bad as selling Fabregas to City... Just totally unacceptable.

I don't believe Van Persie will do that anyway.

He should just go to the CHAMMMMMMPIONS! Barcelona.

Mass Effect 3 arrived today and after a couple of months, I finally get my surgery date for having my busted wisdom tooth taken out. TODAY IS A GOOD DAY. I could have kissed the postman. I need to share my glee with footy-GAF.

Haha awesome dude. Still waiting for mine. Hopefully in the next hour...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom