• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
I watched Concacaf Champions match: Seattle - Santos (MEX) before going to bed last night, and it was pretty good! Looks like the level in the MLS is going up very quickly!

Edit: also, what a great stadium they have in Seattle!

WJD

Think we'll get rimmed by Bilbao tonight if we don't take them seriously. Park can't start in midfield ffs.

I wonder how C.Ronaldo felt about Messi's preformance last night. Could he appreciate it on a level other than this is the guy who is stopping me from being the best in the world? I checked his twitter, but it seems like a marketing account. Its nice to see players talking about other players in a nice way and the outpouring of compliments last night made me smile.

I am not trying to troll ronaldo btw, if messi didnt exist, you could make an arguement for him being the best in the world. I just wonder if he could think of anything other than 'fucking hell, now I must score how many more?'

With Ronaldos ego he probably thinks he needs to score more goals to be considered the best. I remember when Kaka won the Fifa award and Messi came second he was pissed, in an interview he went on about how many goals he scored and didn't know why Messi was above him even though he scored more goals. Then you look at last year and how desperate Madrid were to get Ronaldo as many goals as possible during the end of the season, Pepe was even bringing up a goal he was awarded off a Ronaldo deflection and was arguing that Ronaldo should be credited with the goal, it was obvious he was trying to beat Messi in goals.

It must be frustrating, surely. But if in 10 years everyone considers Messi the best of all time, wouldn't Ronaldo be considered among the best as well for competing with him and being just below him?

My brothers a huge Madrid fan and whenever they go on about Messi being the greatest, he argues that Ronaldo will also be considered as the greatest because his almost as good as Messi. I think alot of people forget that while Ronaldo is the second best player in the world, it's not very close between the two imo. You look at the stats and it seems close, but when you look at the performances over the last couple of years there is a big difference.

Razor554

Tello was the first person ever to score twice in a CL debut, apparently. Such a shame he could not finish the one on one with the keeper. Then my crazy double hat trick prediction would be awesomely correct. Would have loved messi to get a 6th, double hat trick.

Nah, there have been players that have scored hat tricks in their CL debut: Rooney, Grafite, Yakubu and Vincenzo Iaquinta are players that come to mind.

But Tello is the first to debut at knockout stage and score twice :).

I wonder how C.Ronaldo felt about Messi's preformance last night. Could he appreciate it on a level other than this is the guy who is stopping me from being the best in the world? I checked his twitter, but it seems like a marketing account. Its nice to see players talking about other players in a nice way and the outpouring of compliments last night made me smile.

I am not trying to troll ronaldo btw, if messi didnt exist, you could make an arguement for him being the best in the world. I just wonder if he could think of anything other than 'fucking hell, now I must score how many more?'
I can't imagine him being happy about it. Though I'm sure he appreciates Messi's greatness. I think you have to and being a football player himself it's probably even easier for him to do so. The Messi/Ronaldo rivalry is a complete media storm. No doubt Ronaldo wants to better than Messi because it helps 1) himself 2) his team but that's pretty understandable.

Ronaldo is very determined and mentally strong so I'm sure he'll use it motivation to do even better. It has to be frustrating though, when you work so hard but there is somebody there above you. Ronaldo has dedicated his life to being the best and he just can't be because Messi is so good. Again, I don't see that being exclusive to Ronaldo and Messi, must be the same in any other sport/profession. Ronaldo must be frustrated and even gutted...but who wouldn't be.

Never had my wisdom teeth out and I hope it stays that way. Sounds painful.

It's not.

I can't imagine him being happy about it. Though I'm sure he appreciates Messi's greatness. I think you have to and being a football player himself it's probably even easier for him to do so. The Messi/Ronaldo rivalry is a complete media storm. No doubt Ronaldo wants to better than Messi because it helps 1) himself 2) his team but that's pretty understandable.

Ronaldo is very determined and mentally strong so I'm sure he'll use it motivation to do even better. It has to be frustrating though, when you work so hard but there is somebody there above you. Ronaldo has dedicated his life to being the best and he just can't be because Messi is so good. Again, I don't see that being exclusive to Ronaldo and Messi, must be the same in any other sport/profession. Ronaldo must be frustrated and even gutted...but who wouldn't be.

Dammit. You were going to say what I was going to say!

Messi

Pep Guardiola

“You won’t see anyone like him in your lifetime and neither will I. We witnessed one of Messi’s special nights tonight, it’s a gift and I will always be able to say that I coached him. The only credit I can take is that I always put him in the team and we just try to make sure he gets the ball. After that our task is done. ”

“Messi already deserves a tribute because it’s incredible that he is seven short of Cesar at the age of only 24. It’s not easy to score five goals in a single game and that’s coming from someone who scored 11 in his entire career. He is unique for his innate talent and his capacity to compete and he teaches us how to compete too.”
“Messi is the best [ever] – there is no other like him. The numbers speak for themselves. One day he’ll score six.“
“The throne belongs to him and only he will decide when he wants to relinquish it.“

“I have to also say that [Andrés] Iniesta played magnificently too.”

“We’ve reached the quarter-finals for the last five years now and that says something about the great stability here. This really is the most beautiful competition. The team we were facing tonight eliminated Valencia and only a few days ago beat Bayern München; that speaks volumes of our achievement. We have to thank all of the players and the staff at the club.”

Salazar

Ben Arfa has a timeframe for being the best player in the world, and who are we to doubt him ?

Messi, have you read the Graham Hunter book ? About a third into it now, and it's gripping.

elsk

Banned
“We’ve reached the quarter-finals for the last five years now and that says something about the great stability here. This really is the most beautiful competition. The team we were facing tonight eliminated Valencia and only a few days ago beat Bayern München; that speaks volumes of our achievement. We have to thank all of the players and the staff at the club.”

angry.gif

Carbonox

Ben Arfa has a timeframe for being the best player in the world, and who are we to doubt him ?

Messi, have you read the Graham Hunter book ? About a third into it now, and it's gripping.

The only way Ben Arfa will become a great player is if he matures and works hard. Spurts of awesome isn't good enough at the moment. Guy needs to step up.

Messi

I keep meaning to buy it, Love Graham Hunter. Really should pick that up. Is it mostly recent history or older stuff? either is awesome btw. But would love more inside workings of the last few years.

Facism

Yeah mine's cracked, making it difficult for them to grab hold of, which means the surgery could last a while. They also mentioned cutting away part of the jaw and warned about the slight risk in losing feeling in the area if they get a nerve. Worried me a bit, haha.

Either way, all I've got going for me during the surgery is just numbness. I thought bugger it and opted against being put to sleep. :lol

My problem with local anaesthetic at the dentist is that it doesn't work well enough for me. I needed 7 or so injections for a filling. The wisdom tooth wasn't so bad as i was already in a lot of pain and just wanted the fucking thing gone.

Carbonox

My problem with local anaesthetic at the dentist is that it doesn't work well enough for me. I needed 7 or so injections for a filling. The wisdom tooth wasn't so bad as i was already in a lot of pain and just wanted the fucking thing gone.

7? Holy shit. :lol One is good enough for me. Only once did I need 2 at the most. Fillings are a lot more quicker than I remember them to be. 5 minutes later - not even that - and I'm good to go.

As for the wisdom tooth, I've had to battle through two infections and 3 prolonged periods of pain before today's good news. The hospital fucking sucks ass. Months I've been waiting for them to tell me when they can do the job.

I'm a trooper though!

Hixx

The worst thing about getting teeth pulled out is EASILY getting the anaesthetic injection in the roof of your mouth. One of the worst feelings ever... not painful but just such an incredibly awkward feeling.

The actual pulling of teeth isn't so bad. The crunching noise was petrifying, but no pain.

Salazar

I keep meaning to buy it, Love Graham Hunter. Really should pick that up. Is it mostly recent history or older stuff? either is awesome btw. But would love more inside workings of the last few years.

Lots of Cruyff and Rijkaard drama, but it goes very up-to-date. And it really is the story of Pep and his team; it just has to flesh out the historical and institutional foundations and heritage.

Carbonox

The worst thing about getting teeth pulled out is EASILY getting the anaesthetic injection in the roof of your mouth. One of the worst feelings ever... not painful but just such an incredibly awkward feeling.

The actual pulling of teeth isn't so bad. The crunching noise was petrifying, but no pain.

Yeah I've experienced the roof of the mouth one. Not pleasant.

As for the crunching and shit, I'm tempted to ask if I can listen to my iPod while they hack away, haha. If it does take up to 45 minutes, that's 45 minutes of ear horror I would not like to experience.

Facism

the crunching oh lol the crunching. When the dentist puts those industrial pliers in your mouth you know shit is getting handled. I remember a lot of grinding too, and the sound of the tooth breaking up, plus a lot of pressure around the tooth itself as she pushed, pulled and twisted that demonic cunt out of my mouth.

When the tooth comes out though, it's the same relief of pulling out before you cum.

fake eidt: lol carbonex get some meshuggah on to go with the tooth crunching.

elsk

Banned
I got my 4 wisdom teeth removed. first 2 from one side and then the other two a month later.
It isn't that bad, mines for examples had to be removed before they were completely out, so they had to 'crack' them in pieces but still no pain, just the weird sounds and weird smell and cracking sound.

The worst part is post-operation, you can't eat like for 2 days... just ice cream. You'll hate ice cream for a long time after that.

Salazar

It seems like we hope that Bilbao's shape goes in attack, and try to put Chicha or Nani through on the counter.

We can't just let them commit like we did with Norwich and, to an extent, Spurs, though. There's a measure of wisdom in drawing them in, but it's a gamble that we're not currently strong enough to pull off.

I think we'll do ok, though. As long as the selection is strong and we play like a confident home side.

Facism

It seems like we hope that Bilbao's shape goes in attack, and try to put Chicha or Nani through on the counter.

We can't just let them commit like we did with Norwich and, to an extent, Spurs, though. There's a measure of wisdom in drawing them in, but it's a gamble that we're not currently strong enough to pull off.

It's a good thing you mentioned wisdom in what is now the official Wisdom Tooth OT (formerly the Mass Effect 3 OT)

Carbonox

The "be careful what you eat" bit is a bit worrying. I'll just stick with soft and easy to eat shit like scrambled eggs and soup until it heals up. Will it be fine within in a week? A week after I get the tooth out I'm supposed to go to London for a night out.

elseanio

I remember once getting a tooth out, and it snapped in the process. The dentist had to scrape the rest out. The sound of the snap, and the feeling of scraping it out was disgusting.

Also meant that it bled more than usual, and took longer to heal.

Clegg

I'm glad this thread didn't degenerate into the usual Suarez/Evra bashing.

It was looking a bit dicey for a while.. Anyway United to win 2-1. Llorente to have a stormer against our centre halves.

Facism

The "be careful what you eat" bit is a bit worrying. I'll just stick with soft and easy to eat shit like scrambled eggs and soup until it heals up. Will it be fine within in a week? A week after I get the tooth out I'm supposed to go to London for a night out.

You just really want to be wary about getting any sort of food in the wound. Make sure to gently, and i mean gently, swill your mouth with something warm and salty after each meal to remove any debris that may be there.

Wilbur

Banned
WISDOM TEETH WRAGJHHGJAGHAGUA IT'S ALMOST AS BAD TO THINK ABOUT AS GLEN FUCKING JOHNSON

KEBAB AND LLORENTE MMMM ERECT SINCE 13:47

Salazar

I remember once getting a tooth out, and it snapped in the process. The dentist had to scrape the rest out. The sound of the snap, and the feeling of scraping it out was disgusting.

Also meant that it bled more than usual, and took longer to heal.

I have rebuilds for a bunch of my front teeth, after I got dumped on my face at football. Went up for a header, got Dawson-ed, and came down face-first. Lucky that I play with a dentist and he could reassure me, because I was distraught. Blood everywhere.

Worst injury yet. Worse than all my knee dislocations put together.

Salvadora

I'm glad this thread didn't degenerate into the usual Suarez/Evra bashing.

It was looking a bit dicey for a while.. Anyway United to win 2-1. Llorente to have a stormer against our centre halves.

I think it will be close. Could even see United losing.

When I got my wisdom teeth removed I just told them to put me under, fuck that shit of being awake for it

Winner. This is how you do it.

#Carbonox, one week should be fine. That's how long they told me to eat soft foods and not consume alcohol (pain meds). After that, you're as right as rain!

Facism

Winner. This is how you do it.

#Carbonox, one week should be fine. That's how long they told me to eat soft foods and not consume alcohol (pain meds). After that, you're as right as rain!

I didn't need pain meds after my wisdom tooth was pulled. It stung a little but no problems otherwise.

elseanio

I have rebuilds for a bunch of my front teeth, after I got dumped on my face at football. Went up for a header, got Dawson-ed, and came down face-first. Lucky that I play with a dentist and he could reassure me, because I was distraught. Blood everywhere.

Yeah, can't imagine how bad it must be slamming on your face and busting your teeth. Like that scene in American History X :/

WJD

Hello.

I think I'm missing the start of the game tonight, fucking grandparents decide to turn up. Bastards. Old people have no sense of my feelings for Javi Martinez.

JAVI MARTINEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Wouldn't mind him donging all over us if it spurs Fergie into a similar man crush as myself.

Arnie

That sounds awful. I'm terribly conscious of hurting my teeth, went in goal for five a side yesterday, took a face full of ball :)lol), and spent the night convinving myself that certain teeth were marginally more wobbly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom