• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Bolton and Everton. QPR and the Spuds beat. Nice day.

As for UCL spots. Both Manchester clubs are guaranteed obviously. Of course I want Chelsea to get one. If it comes down to Arsenal or Spurs, I'd sooner see Arsenal get it than that other mob.

With the gap between us and Spurs at 4 points I'm feeling fairly confident we can claw our way back up.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Wenger.gif

Hell yes. Let's win on Monday!

Anderson

It must b so frustrating to b an Everton fan, I can feel for Farid every season they start horribly n then start playing out of their skin in second half. It's like clockwork. Exactly the opposite of Arsenal.

If we could combine the two then...

195795d1289068577-hippies-nazi-connection-homer-drool.gif

Fucking stupid decision to go 4-4-2, but individual defensive errors costing us another match. Looking at Younes Kaboul today. It's no good being a top defender for 89 minutes, when you fuck up once and cost us the game.

Everton fans reacting like they just won the Champions League again. Well done to them for managing to sit on a 1 goal lead for 65 minutes, but they won't get anywhere as a club by scoring once, running about a lot and pushing players around.

Bo-Locks

Tottenham have a better squad than Arsenal. If they collapse at this stage of the season then surely it's their mental "softness" that Neville has been taling about, coming home to roost.

Fintan

Thank you Bolton and Everton. QPR and the Spuds beat. Nice day.

As for UCL spots. Both Manchester clubs are guaranteed obviously. Of course I want Chelsea to get one. If it comes down to Arsenal or Spurs, I'd sooner see Arsenal get it than that other mob.

With the gap between us and Spurs at 4 points I'm feeling fairly confident we can claw our way back up.

We have a tough enough run in though. Just looking at the fixtures we have to play Man City, Spurs, Newcastle, Arsenal and Liverpool. And we have to play a couple of the regulation candidates too.

It'll be interesting. In with a good chance definitely.

I kinda saw a match like this coming. Since Götze's injury we relied way too much on Kagawa and to some extent Kuba being in great shape with the Bender/Kehl pairing. Kagawa had an off game and it totally showed. No ideas, slow forward play, the whole thing. No idea why Klopp didn't sub Gündogan in much earlier, though, he was great last match.

Scum

Tottenham have a better squad than Arsenal. If they collapse at this stage of the season then surely it's their mental "softness" that Neville has been taling about, coming home to roost.

Like Bungieware Gareth Bale mentioned earlier, we need our tactics against Norwich back. This 4-4-2 lark ain't gonna cut it and it's upsetting the rhythm.

WJD

Fucking stupid decision to go 4-4-2, but individual defensive errors costing us another match. Looking at Younes Kaboul today. It's no good being a top defender for 89 minutes, when you fuck up once and cost us the game.

Everton fans reacting like they just won the Champions League again. Well done to them for managing to sit on a 1 goal lead for 65 minutes, but they won't get anywhere as a club by scoring once, running about a lot and pushing players around.

You (and other Spurs fans) getting worried about losing 3rd yet? Or is this just a blip?

Fur_Q

Think we all know that It's Dalglish's reputation at the club that is cutting him some serious slack. I guess the League Cup has helped as well but nobody who supports us can deny that Dalglish has been tactically naive in a lot of our games this season. Henderson on the wing is a sore point for a lot of us as is Carroll being dropped when he was starting to look decent.

This happened with us when Franny Lee took over as chairman, blinded by idolatry for our former GREAT and he was great. We blindly followed his decisions until it was too late and by the time we were protesting, (me having my picture plastered on the back of the mirror sitting in the street outside the MainStand) with the club going down the shitter and us having to endure 2nd division (old 3rd division) football. I couldn't ever have envisioned where we are today.

Quite simply Kenny Dalglish was a great Liverpool player, IS he a great Liverpool manager?

We have a tough enough run in though. Just looking at the fixtures we have to play Man City, Spurs, Newcastle, Arsenal and Liverpool. And we have to play a couple of the regulation candidates too.

It'll be interesting. In with a good chance definitely.
Some hard games coming up for sure. but I think all our huffy players will actually put the effort in now they've got AVB out the door.

Lightning

Banned
Chelsea and Arsenal have it on lockdown. Don't see Newcastle or Liverpool getting in there.

It's a shame because we could really use the CL money lol.
Chelsea have nothing on lockdown.

They've got Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool away. They've also got Newcastle and Spurs at home to go and they also have Villa and Fulham away from home which will be tough games. Chelsea have A LOT of work to do if they are to make top 4....

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ugh, Harry crowbarred Defoe in and it fucked everything up. He was shockingly bad but so were all the other attacking players. We should have had two penalties but that would have flattered us. Harry played the wrong shape and took a fucking age to put Rafa on and move Bale to the left. Awful defending from Kaboul on the goal, if you step out like that you have got to make a challenge and he didn't, he should have clattered him if he couldn't get the ball, he pussied out.

442 away from home needs to stop now. We play our best football with VDV and he must start from now on. Parker needs to be benched for Sandro now and then, we didn't need both of them and Sandro more beastly anyway.

Fur_Q

Ugh, Harry crowbarred Defoe in and it fucked everything up. He was shockingly bad but so were all the other attacking players. We should have had two penalties but that would have flattered us. Harry played the wrong shape and took a fucking age to put Rafa on and move Bale to the left. Awful defending from Kaboul on the goal, if you step out like that you have got to make a challenge and he didn't, he should have clattered him if he couldn't get the ball, he pussied out.

Arrys sabotaging his team innit, for dat Ingerland job.

Triffic.

spidye

I've seen their fans marching through the streets here in Dortmund. A lot of of them (especially the 30+ ones) wear Bayern scarfs + Augsburg jerseys. So consider them your bastard bros. They're no Nuremberg fans, that's for sure.

I still have no idea what it has to do with this game?
the augsburg players were more motivated against dortmund just because some fans wore bayern scarfs?
they played really good against bayern too. even deserved a draw but fortunately for us, neuer saved us back then

Fintan

Some hard games coming up for sure. but I think all our huffy players will actually put the effort in now they've got AVB out the door.

as sad as that is to say, I agree.

I didn't agree with AVB's sacking but I hope there's a bit more effort and better morale in the team going forward. There's a lot to be hopeful about. We should do well in the FA Cup and I think the CL scoreline can be turned around. Also fully capable of getting results off any of the top 6 clubs and Liverpool.

Scum

They've got Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool away. They've also got Newcastle and Spurs at home to go and they also have Villa and Fulham away from home which will be tough games. Chelsea have A LOT of work to do if they are to make top 4....

Pfft! Watch Chelsea turn up to each and every one of those games now that AVB isn't about anymore.

Wilbur

Banned

This comes across as really salty. Everton have as good a squad as any outside the top 5, it's just putting away lesser teams they struggle with. They defended well and beat you, no shame in that.

Labadal

This happened with us when Franny Lee took over as chairman, blinded by idolatry for our former GREAT and he was great. We blindly followed his decisions until it was too late and by the time we were protesting, (me having my picture plastered on the back of the mirror sitting in the street outside the MainStand) with the club going down the shitter and us having to endure 2nd division (old 3rd division) football. I couldn't ever have envisioned where we are today.

Quite simply Kenny Dalglish was a great Liverpool player, IS he a great Liverpool manager?

He was a great Liverpool manager, but he's been away from the game too long to be handling a team in the PL. We were very good at the end of last season, but I believe that had more to do with the players being happy to see a new manager since they didn't seem to play at 100 capacity for Hodgson.

I said before this season that it doesn't matter if we finish 10th, as long as we try to rebuild the squad. With rebuilding the squad, I did not mean that we should spend shitloads of money on players. I wanted to see more youth players. Would that have been a big gamble and might have fucked us over? Maybe, but I stick to that view. Keep essential players like Skrtel, Agger and a few more and dump the rest. Give players like Morgan, Sterling and the likes a go in the League and then buy 3-4 young players from abroad like Coates (he's not been great, but you get my point).

Most people I mentioned this to said I was wrong and buying experienced players was the way, look at us now.

I didn't agree with AVB's sacking but I hope there's a bit more effort and better morale in the team going forward. There's a lot to be hopeful about. We should do well in the FA Cup and I think the CL scoreline can be turned around. Also fully capable of getting results off any of the top 6 clubs and Liverpool.
2-0 against Napoli and we're laughing... Easier said than done.

Kyoufu

Chelsea play their best against top teams, though you're right that they face very tough fixtures.

They should batter Newcastle at least lol :(

This comes across as really salty. Everton have as good a squad as any outside the top 5, it's just putting away lesser teams they struggle with. They defended well and beat you, no shame in that.

I never said they didn't have a good squad. And they struggle to put away lesser team because of the tactics they used today.

I still have no idea what it has to do with this game?
the augsburg players were more motivated against dortmund just because some fans wore bayern scarfs?
they played really good against bayern too. even deserved a draw but fortunately for us neuer saved us back then
Check out their history. They don't really have much of it. They benefited from an investor similar to Hoffenheim (albeit to a lesser degree). The whole club and its surrounding is still developing its own identity. Most of them are used to supporting Bayern, but that doesn't mean they're supposed to lose vs. Bayern and win vs. Dortmund, lol

I just rightfully assumed that they'd be motivated as fuck mainly due to the fact that they want to stay in the first division (unlike a certain other team today..). But knowing their history I'm sure they also mustered an extra bit of motivation to help out Bayern.
It's not supposed to be an excuse, it's just the fact of life at that club. Only Bayern fans/players make up excuses like that, lol ("all the teams give their 150% against us, while they play like cans vs. Dortmund").

We lost because we played bad and they played good. It's as easy as that. Our manager also messed up by choosing an overly defensive formation.

/typo

sneaky77

The thing with Spurs is van der vaart is been out a lot and also I didn't understand why they got rid of Crouch and Pavl for Adebayor and Saha, that seems like a pretty dumb move imo

Fur_Q

He was a great Liverpool manager, but he's been away from the game too long to be handling a team in the PL.

Yeah I meant to exclude the 85 - 91 period. He seems to be stuck in his old ways, football has moved on and evolved.
No denying his commitment or love of the club but I said to my mate who's a massive Liverpool fan (and a manc, what a twat) this will end badly and that going back to a former manager is never a good idea.
I remember Phil Thompson on the radio pleading for anyone to step in and save Liverpool, which I thought at the time was a tad over the top.
But then KK came and lifted the club up and gave it the injection it needed.
Kenny should have steered em to the end of the season and then stepped aside for somebody else to take the reigns, but he didn't.

Liverpool fans, can you tell me why Henderson and Adam keep getting starts? Each time I catch bits of the game, the pair seem hopelessly out of form. I'd rather see Maxi and Spearing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The thing with Spurs is van der vaart is been out a lot and also I didn't understand why they got rid of Crouch and Pavl for Adebayor and Saha, that seems like a pretty dumb move imo

It was a dumb move to get rid of Crouch (4 goals last season) for Adebayor (11 goals + 12 assists)? And to replace Pav (9 goals last season) with Saha (3 goals in 5 games)? You sir, are crazy.

What we have been doing recently is playing stupid 442s and making horrible defensive errors.

DangerousMali said:
plenty of world beaters on Tottenham squad though right? lmao

We are having a shit spell, no question, but at least we aren't a one man team. Bale (10), Adebayor (11), Defoe (9) and VDV (7) have all scored plenty of goals this season. Arsenal's other forward players are League One standard.

norinrad

I will not have any problems with Liverpool losing every game until the end of the season, I would even prefer to see them end up with the bottom 5.

Come to think of it Roy was doing pretty good company with Kenny

Fur_Q

It was a dumb move to get rid of Crouch (4 goals last season) for Adebayor (11 goals + 12 assists)? And to replace Pav (9 goals last season) with Saha (3 goals in 5 games)? You sir, are crazy.

What we have been doing recently is playing stupid 442s and making horrible defensive errors.

We are having a shit spell, no question, but at least we aren't a one man team. Bale (10), Adebayor (11), Defoe (9) and VDV (7) have all scored plenty of goals this season. Arsenal's other forward players are League One standard.

From Glory Glory and 100% correct...

"the fucking stupid thing is the complete redknapp media wankfest. everyone was banging on about us like we were brazil 1970. 10 points clear was all well and good but there was still 15 games to go. We have achieved absolutely zero yet this season. you dont get anything for having been 10 points clear of fourth in fucking february.

we could conceivably finish 10 points outside the top 4 no problems.

saha comes in scores a couple of debut and its saha revitalised looking at france call up. redknapp isn't a god, he's a manager who often gets his tactics wrong".

Thoughts?

Scum

one of the greatest myths this season, powered by pure hype.

their best season in recent years, and still only 4 points ahead of arsenal and i don't need to remind anyone of the season we've had.
Arsenal have been unlucky with injuries to their backline, but don't try and hide the fact that van Persie is pretty much the only one who gives his all. I'll even add Oxfarm Chamberpot too.

I don't think it was dumb, to be honest. But the thing that has fucked us over in these past 3 PL games is 'Arry's insistent use of the crappy 4-4-2. :-/

spidye

Check out their history. They don't really have much of it. They benefited from an investor similar to Hoffenheim (albeit to a lesser degree). The whole club and its surrounding is still developing its own identity. Most of them are used to supporting Bayern, but that doesn't mean they're supposed to lose vs. Bayern and win vs. Dortmund, lol

I just rightfully assumed that they'd be motivated as fuck mainly due to the fact that they want to stay in the first division (unlike a certain other team today..). But knowing their history I'm sure they also mustered an extra bit of motivation to help out Bayern.
It's not supposed to be an excuse, it's just the fact of like at that club. Only Bayern fans/players make up excuses like that, lol ("all the teams give their 150% against us, while they play like cans vs. Dortmund").

We lost because we played bad and they played good. It's as easy as that. Our manager also messed up by choosing an overly defensive formation.

yeah you totally didn't make up any excuses. just bayern fans do this

Phantast2k said:
Most of the Augsburgers are Bayern fans

doesn't sound like one of the excuses you accuse bayern fans making up at all

Mastadon

Banned
Liverpool fans, can you tell me why Henderson and Adam keep getting starts? Each time I catch bits of the game, the pair seem hopelessly out of form. I'd rather see Maxi and Spearing.

Spearing has been playing, and Maxi isn't as good as people seem to think he is. He had a small run of games towards the beginning of the season, and he was largely poor. He probably does deserve another run out, but he is a pretty limited player in all honesty. One advantage he does have is that he's a good finisher/poacher, so it might be worth a punt.

Adam has been shit. He has a decent passing range, but no fucking intelligence to go with it. Then again he's got the most assists this season, so our largely impotent attack would most likely be even worse if he wasn't there. The thing that baffles me, and I'm sure some other Liverpool fans is why Jonjo Shelvey isn't getting a chance. Every time we've see him, he's been impressive and has the creativity that we're sorely lacking.

Henderson hasn't been good, but I've seen enough of him to re-assure me that's he a good player, and that he'll come good in the end. It's pretty clear that he doesn't have the skill set to be played out on the right, but Kenny seems insistent on him playing there, so I'm not sure he's fully to blame for his disappointing performances.

WJD

I got Football Manager and I have no idea what I'm doing. Any beginner's tips?

Start off with a good team for a season to get to grips with everything and then move down to a lower league for a challenge.

Always look for free transfers.

Sign Kadlec and Vrasljko.

Good assistant managers are a must.

bud

andy carroll looks so hopeless whenever he's on the pitch--he seems to have no clue what he's supposed to be doing there. i honestly feel bad for him.

spurs, lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom