• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

Don't get me wrong, he's a great GK and his distribution godlike, but I think he'll go of his own accord. He seems fed up with empty promises he's been getting at Liverpool for so many years. We'll see, I guess.
Fairly sure he signed a new 5/6 year contract last year. I remember him saying he wanted to stay in Liverpool for as long as his children were young, as they were now scousers.

Splatt

Fairly sure he signed a new 5/6 year contract last year. I remember him saying he wanted to stay in Liverpool for as long as his children were young, as they were now scousers.

I didn't know that. Perhaps I was talking out of my ass earlier regarding Reina, but I still can't shake the feeling that there's a good chance he may leave Anfield in the summer.

ShogunX

I didn't know that. Perhaps I was talking out of my ass earlier regarding Reina, but I still can't shake the feeling that there's a good chance he may leave Anfield in the summer.

Don't see Suarez, Carroll, Downing, Adam or Reina leaving this summer. Maxi is almost certain to leave as he isn't getting enough game time at the club and his contract runs out soon, Kuyt I imagine would have to accept a substitutes role or move on and then of course we have to deal with Aquilani and Joe Cole once again.

Hopefully Adam is used more sparingly and becomes what he was originally intended to be - A squad member.

Downing I don't think we will let go on the back of one poor season after the fee we paid for him.

Carroll - Similar story to Downing - I think the fee involved will impact any move.

Suarez is an interesting one as he is linked to PSG and obviously with their new found wealth they are an attractive club. However no top player should be wanting to spend their prime years playing in Ligue 1, I know Liverpool aren't exactly setting the world on fire but for me Ligue 1 isn't that much of a step up from the Eredivisie. Seen with Pastore recently that he almost regrets moving to France.

Anyway I guess we will see how the summer unfolds but it will be an interesting one and not just for Liverpool.

Arnie

I'm the opposite corner, on the front row so the same.. great view. The atmosphere will be great IF its a decent game. Been in the upper before for a derby, and everyone was standing for the most part.

You going to Stoke at the weekend? I've enjoyed the auto cup scheme. Got to know a few of the people around me, since its the same seat every game.
Nah really couldn't afford it, was thinking of asking my brother for a loan but then memories of the last Stoke game at Anfield came flooding back so I held off. Part of me just wants to go to get some cup games under my belt, but the other half can't be fucked scrimping and saving to go and watch Charlie Adam whack a few hollywood balls out of touch.
I'm in Annie Road upper as well. Section 228, Row 12 - Got up late the day the tickets went on sale and missed out on the KOP. Despite recent results I'm still confident of a win mainly because I know we are capable of playing some great football just have to sort out the finishing part. Well that and Moyes is always defensive away from Goodison so we should have some decent spells of possession.

Hope no more of LFCGAF are attending the match! Who will fulfill the role of telly clapper on here?

Fucking hell, GAF's taking over the Anfield Road.

I think we'll win too for what it's worth. The lads will need to put in a performance after the last couple of weeks, and what better way to start turning fans around than to beat the blue shite. Reckon Carroll will score if he gets any time on the pitch.

Holy shit, I thought I'd never see the day when people actually think Charlie Adam is one of our better players. WTF at some of the fans on the Liverpool TV website.

Sorry to annoy you guys with this but after doing a bunch of research and based on your recommendations Chelsea is looking good to me: a solid contender, good location with proximity to London, nice size stadium with what appears to be a good fan base, and I found an article that compares them to Philadelphia Phillies (my hometown team for baseball). I'm gonna watch a replay right now of their match against Norwich City from a few weeks ago to see if I like their play style.

Slizz

Sorry to annoy you guys with this but after doing a bunch of research and based on your recommendations Chelsea is looking good to me: a solid contender, good location with proximity to London, nice size stadium with what appears to be a good fan base, and I found an article that compares them to Philadelphia Phillies (my hometown team for baseball). I'm gonna watch a replay right now of their match against Norwich City from a few weeks ago to see if I like their play style.

:( if all their old players retire and leave after this season then maybe. Other than that it's a club pretty thick in turmoil.

Fired an up and coming young coach, owner is comparable to Al Davis in the NFL(can't think of a MLB owner similar), Torres...

EDIT: Mata is fucking awesome though

TeegsD

What an awesome game by Sporting today. Glad to see Jeffren able to score another goal after I left. He's played minimal for us due to injuries, comes back and score 2 goals in about 10 minutes. With this result and the win against City, confidence is soaring and it's been months since we've played this well.

:( if all their old players retire and leave after this season then maybe. Other than that it's a club pretty thick in turmoil.

Fired an up and coming young coach, owner is comparable to Al Davis in the NFL(can't think of a MLB owner similar), Torres...

Hahahaha good luck with that!

Uh oh .. maybe I better rethink it then? Haha

Norwich City has a guy named Pilkington. Maybe I should root for them.

xintin

ive always thought of Roman as closer to Dan Snyder in Washington. Bringing in high profile coaches, saddle them with big money players that dont fit their style and fire the coach when it goes wrong.

at least Chelsea have won a few titles though, Washington has no hope of that.

Wilbur

Banned

If they didn't have a kamikaze owner then yes, they'd be a good choice. And they have the potential to be one of Europe's very biggest clubs if they get in a good infrastructure, but they've fucked it up a lot recently. I'd say just jump on Youtube, check shit out and then go with your heart. Even if it's not an underdog and you feel an affinity towards Barcelona or City, that's what happens
just be prepared for me to hate you if its the latter

Slizz

ive always thought of Roman as closer to Dan Snyder in Washington. Bringing in high profile coaches, saddle them with big money players that dont fit their style and fire the coach when it goes wrong.

at least Chelsea have won a few titles though, Washington has no hope of that.

Kinda, but Al always brought in players he wanted regardless of what the coach thought, sorta like with Torres. They also got a few titles too, though none as recent as Chelsea.

Don't see Suarez, Carroll, Downing, Adam or Reina leaving this summer. Maxi is almost certain to leave as he isn't getting enough game time at the club and his contract runs out soon, Kuyt I imagine would have to accept a substitutes role or move on and then of course we have to deal with Aquilani and Joe Cole once again.

Hopefully Adam is used more sparingly and becomes what he was originally intended to be - A squad member.

Downing I don't think we will let go on the back of one poor season after the fee we paid for him.

Carroll - Similar story to Downing - I think the fee involved will impact any move.

Suarez is an interesting one as he is linked to PSG and obviously with their new found wealth they are an attractive club. However no top player should be wanting to spend their prime years playing in Ligue 1, I know Liverpool aren't exactly setting the world on fire but for me Ligue 1 isn't that much of a step up from the Eredivisie. Seen with Pastore recently that he almost regrets moving to France.

Anyway I guess we will see how the summer unfolds but it will be an interesting one and not just for Liverpool.

I'll be suprised if Suarez is at Liverpool next season seeing as he's already linking himself with PSG!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/9137038/Luis-Suarez-hints-at-move-to-PSG-as-Liverpools-problems-mount.html

Messi

Speaking of getting away with murder, I would rather we didn't get that penalty earlier tonight. Fabregas 'slipped', my ass. :/ I'll take it but I am not happy about it.

Messi

What an awesome game by Sporting today. Glad to see Jeffren able to score another goal after I left. He's played minimal for us due to injuries, comes back and score 2 goals in about 10 minutes. With this result and the win against City, confidence is soaring and it's been months since we've played this well.

I miss Jeffren, but as more time passes and I see the likes of Tello and Cuenca, I realise there would never have been a place for Jeffren or Bojan. I am glad to see him doing well even through injurys.

Will he play in the 2nd leg against City?

Salazar

SAF: "When I think back to the time when so many critics were ready for me to move Evans on. I hope they're questioning their judgement."

Fair play. I think he should think a bit more about what he's going to do with the ball when he surges forward (ditto Phil), but he has been good.

I miss Jeffren, but as more time passes and I see the likes of Tello and Cuenca, I realise there would never have been a place for Jeffren or Bojan. I am glad to see him doing well even through injurys.

I doubt he will start but he could be brought in on the 2nd half. He´s been through a hard time, you could see that he was trying hard not to cry just after he scored.

Sloosha

Welcome. Bad time Good time to jump on at the moment since we are in period of transition with a few of our older, more established players, at the tail end of their careers. The summer could bring big changes though, depending on how the rest of the season goes.

Salazar

Welcome. Bad time Good time to jump on at the moment since we are in period of transition with a few of our older, more established players, at the tail end of their careers. The summer could bring big changes though, depending on how the rest of the season goes.

Limber up for the summer transfer circus with the rest of us :)

tumblr_lzgbz3fgyf1qd0ebkqc.gif

Huge sums will be spent. Utter pillocks will be bought. It will be majestic.

And never trust the Daily Mail.

I'll be suprised if Suarez is at Liverpool next season seeing as he's already linking himself with PSG!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sunderland/9137038/Luis-Suarez-hints-at-move-to-PSG-as-Liverpools-problems-mount.html

Already proven to be taken out of context. Great British journalism strike again.

https://twitter.com/#!/philippeauclair

@StanCollymore Watched Canal Football Club and the Suarez interview: reaction in England completely overblown. He was asked to talk about his Urug. captain Lugano, who's having a very hard time at PSG. Then, a propos of nothing, 'what about PSG?' Suarez answers politely, as much out of support for Lugano as for any other reason, and suddenly it is: 'he wants to join'. Will he, won't he? We don't know. But to say it was a kind of 'come and get me' is unfounded, and unfair. You can watch the video of the interview here: http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/liverpool-s-luis-suarez-says-he-d-like-to-join-psg. The quotes are correct, Stan, the context is not. Lugano is a hero in Uruguay, but a quasi-outcast at PSG.

TeegsD

Depends. I'd probably start Jeffren over Capel but thats only if Jeffren is ready for a start.

Sloosha

Limber up for the summer transfer circus with the rest of us :)

Our transfer targets are your transfer targets are Man City's transfer targets ect. I'm sure the same names will be doing the rounds... Hazard, Götze, Cavani... With the reality being something completely different. I've already bought my Lucas Moura shirt though ;)

Wilbur

Banned
Our transfer targets are your transfer targets are Man City's transfer targets ect. I'm sure the same names will be doing the rounds... Hazard, Götze, Cavani... With the reality being something completely different. I've already bought my Lucas Moura shirt though ;)

I'm expecting everyone in the Prem to get a Pogba shirt just in case they try and entice his agent.

Norwich City has a guy named Pilkington. Maybe I should root for them.
I honestly don't think you should "force" yourself into picking a team. Just follow the rest of the European season, try and watch as many games from the sides that interest you as possible or catch the highlights and you will inevitably end up falling for one.

By the time next season comes around, you'll have a club who have won you over. Over the summer you'll get excited as they (hopefully) bring in new players and then you'll be ready for the big kick-off in August.

I reckon that'll be a better way to follow a team rather than listing requirements and picking one which seems to suit them best.

Wilbur

Banned
I honestly don't think you should "force" yourself into picking a team. Just follow the rest of the European season, try and watch as many games from the sides that interest you as possible or catch the highlights and you will inevitably end up falling for one.

By the time next season comes around, you'll have a club who have won you over. Over the summer you'll get excited as they (hopefully) bring in new players and then you'll be ready for the big kick-off in August.

I reckon that'll be a better way to follow a team rather than listing requirements and picking one which seems to suit them best.

Ignore most things I've said up to now but also listen to them at the same time and then listen to this! Just keep watching the four big leagues for now, see what happens.

SALAZAR DONT READ MY MIND

I personally started supporting Chelsea many moons ago because of Gianfranco Zola's captivating performance and I have not regretted it since, I actually wouldn't have no qualms about not qualifying for CL next season had Boas stayed and gotten a chance to straighten things out, the club's future is way more important to me right now than present glory hunting with this lot.

Edit: damn forgot to trying to determine which team to support.

Messi

No Olivia Wilde avatar Messi?

Lost a bet (Said Napoli and Chelsa would draw) so I need to keep this troll until

mar22.jpg

Then the goddess returns!

Its been torture.

Edit: Decided to go with Tello and Thiago for the new home and away kits for next season. Young talent FTW. Oh and the standard first kit being Messi, as it has been for the past few seasons.

Clegg

Ignore most things I've said up to now but also listen to them at the same time and then listen to this! Just keep watching the four big leagues for now, see what happens.

SALAZAR DONT READ MY MIND

I don't think anyone could possibly fathom whats going on in your head.

Brilliant record. What's his record for a season, 34?
Yep 34 a couple of years ago when he was scoring all those headers.

He'll do well to beat that. We'll probably go out against Bilbao so only 11 more games in the season for him to get another 9 goals. But if he keeps his form going he could do it.

A hat-trick against Wolves next weekend would be nice.

Wilbur

Banned
Yep 34 a couple of years ago when he was scoring all those headers.

He'll do well to beat that. We'll probably go out against Bilbao so only 11 more games in the season for him to get another 9 goals. But if he keeps his form going he could do it.

A hat-trick against Wolves next weekend would be nice.

If Chicha or Welbeck get their shooting boots on instead of him that would be fine; I like Rooney more when he drops deep and dictates the play a bit rather than spend most his time in the box. I think this is the first season he's married the two really successfully.

If Chicha or Welbeck get their shooting boots on instead of him that would be fine; I like Rooney more when he drops deep and dictates the play a bit rather than spend most his time in the box. I think this is the first season he's married the two really successfully.
For sure, I think Welbeck has helped with that because he has done such a good job of holding it up and shown he can lead the line himself.

The most pleasing thing about Rooney's form is how consistent it has been in regards to goal-scoring (which is new for him) and also, funnily enough, how unspectacular he's been at times. He's had fewer moments of magic but been a whole lot more effective.

Just having a look at next "weekends" fixtures. Anybody know why they've been spread in such a stupid way? 2 games on the Saturday, 2 more on the Sunday, 2 on Monday and then 4 on Tuesday.

It's ridiculous. City and Chelsea play on Tuesday night. Chelsea have to travel back to London for a midday kick off against Spurs on Saturday. That's just one example of many teams who'll be annoyed by the timetable. United will have 7 whole days of rest before their next game, Chelsea (amongst others, including City) get 3.

Anyone else willing Scholes to smack it goalward when he's on the edge of the box ?
Not even. I know he's going to fake to shoot and then pull off some kind of other genius pass which nobody else could see. He has just been so good since coming back. Can't believe it. It's truly a pleasure and honour to see it again. Thought I'd seen the last of him as his testimonial in August...was an amazing night at Old Trafford, could never have guessed this would happen.

I was begging Le Pog to unleash himself though.

Salazar

Not even. I know he's going to fake to shoot and then pull off some kind of other genius pass which nobody else could see.

You're probably right. Our patience around the box will hopefully pay off when Chicha and Welbeck start finishing again.

Super Tom yet to get off the mark. It don't matter, tho. A one touch pass and move player like he is becoming is so good to have.

Something something Champions League?

Kyoufu

I'm just about to go to bed. 3:30am here. I look forward to tomorrow's game but I don't see us shooting down the gunners.

Arsene Wenger is lucky to get that CL money next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom